Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

Hey guys,

I've made the decision to start maggotkin next after finishing up with ironjawz. I've read into them a fair bit, but am yet to play any games with them or buy the models. Before I go head on into buying everything, is anyone able to give me feedback on the following list? It seems fairly similar to other lists getting around, I'm just looking for opinions from those who have used the new rules in game, like  how useful the command traits are and stuff. Thanks,

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang  
Gutrot Spume (140)
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Endless Gift  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

New to Nurgle, looking through the new book.  Blades of Putrefication turns anything into bloodletters on a 7+ to cast (MW on a 6+ to hit).  Y'all can take 40 plague monks for 240 points, re-rolling missed hits.  2 attacks each, 3 on the charge.  And generating more MW on a  6 when they die.

Am I missing something, or is there a reason not to jam 100+ plague monks into every nurgle list?

FMB

1 hour ago, Brodylan said:

Hey guys,

I've made the decision to start maggotkin next after finishing up with ironjawz. I've read into them a fair bit, but am yet to play any games with them or buy the models. Before I go head on into buying everything, is anyone able to give me feedback on the following list? It seems fairly similar to other lists getting around, I'm just looking for opinions from those who have used the new rules in game, like  how useful the command traits are and stuff. Thanks,

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Lord of Blights (140)
- Artefact: Rustfang  
Gutrot Spume (140)
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Endless Gift  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

I don't really like cyst With so low BK count. However as a list is fine, you have hammers, anvil, bodies, maluses, a caster... 

If you go for poxes take the tome on the guo for a 5+ favoured poxes. 

You are a bit weak on duality of death.

40 minutes ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Hi all,

New to Nurgle, looking through the new book.  Blades of Putrefication turns anything into bloodletters on a 7+ to cast (MW on a 6+ to hit).  Y'all can take 40 plague monks for 240 points, re-rolling missed hits.  2 attacks each, 3 on the charge.  And generating more MW on a  6 when they die.

Am I missing something, or is there a reason not to jam 100+ plague monks into every nurgle list?

FMB

The reason is meta game. If they run screens and blight shooting (skinks, grots, arkanaut ecc) your monks will die in droves and won't even come near the enemy or they crush into a wall And die. Also a -1 to hit completely destroys any blades of putrefaction based list and there are a lot of them around (relictor, tempestors, plaguetouched, spells, hellstriders, treelords, neffy, book, mourngul...)

1 minute ago, shadowgra said:

The reason is meta game. If they run screens and blight shooting (skinks, grots, arkanaut ecc) your monks will die in droves and won't even come near the enemy or they crush into a wall And die. Also a -1 to hit completely destroys any blades of putrefaction based list and there are a lot of them around (relictor, tempestors, plaguetouched, spells, hellstriders, treelords, neffy, book, mourngul...)

Here's to the meta game, then.  Playing Khorne, I was wondering how I was going to beat an army that can replicate my best trick at will ;)

4 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Though running a single unit of monks, or marauders, still seems like a good idea.

Marauders are extremely good and cheap.

Monks are there for damage. tho i don't like blades of putrefaction in general cause of 7s to cast (means i will never get it off), gets ruined by -1 to hit and works only on a very few units. There are also way stronger and less situational spell to use.

Khorne can do whenever he wants (bloodletters) and has easy way to buff his hit rolls, making the mortal wound spam much higher. Also bloodletters are tougher than monks (really strange to say that XD)

After spending the last few weeks with the battletome I think this is roughly the force that I'll go for. It's not the most efficient but it fits my collection and I think it will be fun. More fun than a Cyst list, at least :D  I've also got the brothers Glott and/or Daemonspew to swap in for some games. I'd have liked another wizard and I think the thing that took me the longest to decide was not to take a GUO (the price down here in Oz also helped. $230 or 130pounds. Yikes!!). I'm hoping that Gutrot offsets the slower movement of the army with out a GUO with bell. I loved using the Blightkings when I could get +1 -- sometimes +2!--  To Hit  on them and just hope that now there are still solid.

Leaders

Festulax, Harbinger of Decay (160) - General

Bubojiggle, Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

The Pus-lord, Lord of Plagues (140)

Gutrot Spume (140)

Guttokis Biletouched, Daemon Prince (160), wings, sword.

Units

3 x Nurglings (100)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
20 x Plaguebearers (240)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 156

6 hours ago, Brunel.Richard said:

After spending the last few weeks with the battletome I think this is roughly the force that I'll go for. It's not the most efficient but it fits my collection and I think it will be fun. More fun than a Cyst list, at least :D  I've also got the brothers Glott and/or Daemonspew to swap in for some games. I'd have liked another wizard and I think the thing that took me the longest to decide was not to take a GUO (the price down here in Oz also helped. $230 or 130pounds. Yikes!!). I'm hoping that Gutrot offsets the slower movement of the army with out a GUO with bell. I loved using the Blightkings when I could get +1 -- sometimes +2!--  To Hit  on them and just hope that now there are still solid.

Leaders

Festulax, Harbinger of Decay (160) - General

Bubojiggle, Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

The Pus-lord, Lord of Plagues (140)

Gutrot Spume (140)

Guttokis Biletouched, Daemon Prince (160), wings, sword.

Units

3 x Nurglings (100)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
20 x Plaguebearers (240)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 156

I'd really recommend figuring out a way to get 30x plaguebearers in there. Dropping lord of plagues would do it.

Excellent Nurgle showing on Cancon 2018.

Can only say, get your army ready guys! :D As discussed pages ago I think Nurgle is in a good place with a wide option of builds. It's really up to anyone to persue a path of Daemons, Rotbringers or mixed hordes in my opinion!

David Kerr – Maggotkin of Nurgle

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
– General (Big Daddy D the dope OG)
Lord of Blights (140)
– Rustfang
Gutrot Spume (140)
Poxbringer (120)
– Tome Of A Thousand Poxes

Battleline
30 Plaguebearers (320)
10 Blight Kings (320)
5 Blight Kings (160)
5 Blight Kings (160)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total 2000/2000

Can only say that this would inspire me to continue ;) 

Cheers,

37 minutes ago, Killax said:

David Kerr – Maggotkin of Nurgle

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
– General (Big Daddy D the dope OG)
Lord of Blights (140)
– Rustfang
Gutrot Spume (140)
Poxbringer (120)
– Tome Of A Thousand Poxes

Battleline
30 Plaguebearers (320)
10 Blight Kings (320)
5 Blight Kings (160)
5 Blight Kings (160)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total 2000/2000

Pretty interesting list. The Glottkin seems to be less favoured massive dude for nurgle here. Not sure why the lord of blights is there- his command ability is excellent, but the whole giving shooting to blight kings has not proven worthwhile for me. It's such a week attack. Gutrot+10 BKs seems like a great combo- I'll be playing it tomorrow in a friendly game. I wonder how he plays the whole force on the table- don't suppose there's any recordings of the games?

8 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

Can the unit of blight kings that you set aside ( with spume)  during set up be part of a separate battalion. Blights cyst for example?

Yes. Spume can bring blightkings that are in a battalion aboard his poop ship. 

4 minutes ago, smucreo said:

It's there because Blight Cyst requires you to use them if I'm not mistaken.

giphy.webp

I am amazed David did so well with glotkin as the general. I have tried it a couple times and everytime he dies so easily. Granted this has been against Overlords and a ****** ton of harpoons... so maybe I'm being a bit tough on the big boys. 

7 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Pretty interesting list. The Glottkin seems to be less favoured massive dude for nurgle here. Not sure why the lord of blights is there- his command ability is excellent, but the whole giving shooting to blight kings has not proven worthwhile for me. It's such a week attack. Gutrot+10 BKs seems like a great combo- I'll be playing it tomorrow in a friendly game. I wonder how he plays the whole force on the table- don't suppose there's any recordings of the games?

5 minutes ago, smucreo said:

It's there because Blight Cyst requires you to use them if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah he must be taken. In general I think that GUO still is a fine choice also and this list pretty much highlights that line of though. But hey, I do acknowledge that Gutrot and Blightkings from the back/flank with Rend is even scarier as without ;) 

In general though I believe only more Nurgle lists to appear but in reality it will thake some time as quite a lot of core things changed for Nurgle and whilst lists don't cover it you also need a good ammount of Ferulent Gnarlmaws still, which might not be on everyone's shelf.

I don't have a clue if there are recordings, feel free to mail the guys! 

Is there a way to be able to gain the 3 corruption points for being in enemy territory at the first hero phase? At first I thought Nurglings or Spume would get them, but you set them up at the end of the movement phase.

Any other way I'm missing? I want to try to summon something other than trees in my next list, and I want to stack them as fast as I can to be able to do so.

I've posted that in the Rule Section as well but this keep bothering me :

I don't know if it's been discussed or noticed but in the Maggotkin Battletome, under the Allegiance section (page 59), you can read this for the wheel : 

"Roll a dice at the start of the first battle round of any battle that includes any NURGLE armies, before rolling to see

who has the first turn."

It was not written like that in Blightwar. I guess it's a mistake or a copy-paste from another stuff but does anybody has any hints about that ? No more "fixed" first turn would be totally game changing...

16 minutes ago, Peegee said:

I've posted that in the Rule Section as well but this keep bothering me :

I don't know if it's been discussed or noticed but in the Maggotkin Battletome, under the Allegiance section (page 59), you can read this for the wheel : 

"Roll a dice at the start of the first battle round of any battle that includes any NURGLE armies, before rolling to see

who has the first turn."

It was not written like that in Blightwar. I guess it's a mistake or a copy-paste from another stuff but does anybody has any hints about that ? No more "fixed" first turn would be totally game changing...

Well as you share the Cycle of Corruption if both armies are Nurgle armies I think that the whole idea is to have this resolve before any additional interactions.

So basically it makes sure nothing strange can occur with the wheel before the game begins and only 1 cycle roll is made.

4 hours ago, Poltron said:

Is there a way to be able to gain the 3 corruption points for being in enemy territory at the first hero phase? At first I thought Nurglings or Spume would get them, but you set them up at the end of the movement phase.

Any other way I'm missing? I want to try to summon something other than trees in my next list, and I want to stack them as fast as I can to be able to do so.

Not that I'm aware of. And Im not sure a LoP is worth it as a contagion point generator unless you already planned on having him in your army. The rotbringer command trait "living plague" also generates contagion points, but I feel its kind of lack luster compared to other choices. 

Hello!

There is my current list for local tournament. I tested it against Tzeentch Daemons, Mixed Death  and Sylvaneth, and won all three games. List:

Leaders

Harbinger of Decay 

-general (resilient) 

Lord of Blights

-rustfang

Sorcerer

-Muttergrub, Blades of putrification

Festus the Leechlord

-Blades of putrification

Battleline 

10x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

Units

30x Chaos Marauders Horsemen

-axes and javelines, mark of Nurgle

Battalions

Blight Cyst

Scenery

Vortex 

Total pts: 2000/2000

Deploy Choices: 3

Marauders Horsemen damn killy with blades, they slay Treelord for one shooting phase for example. BK smash everything with -3 to armour. 

3 hours ago, GreenFly said:

Hello!

There is my current list for local tournament. I tested it against Tzeentch Daemons, Mixed Death  and Sylvaneth, and won all three games. List:

Leaders

Harbinger of Decay 

-general (resilient) 

Lord of Blights

-rustfang

Sorcerer

-Muttergrub, Blades of putrification

Festus the Leechlord

-Blades of putrification

Battleline 

10x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

5x Putrid Blightkings

Units

30x Chaos Marauders Horsemen

-axes and javelines, mark of Nurgle

Battalions

Blight Cyst

Scenery

Vortex 

Total pts: 2000/2000

Deploy Choices: 3

Marauders Horsemen damn killy with blades, they slay Treelord for one shooting phase for example. BK smash everything with -3 to armour. 

Good lord! 30 horseman will be a fast hammer with blades cast on them! I think your rotbringer sorcerer could use a better spell though. Why have two casters with the same spell?

7 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Good lord! 30 horseman will be a fast hammer with blades cast on them! I think your rotbringer sorcerer could use a better spell though. Why have two casters with the same spell?

I use same spells on sorcerer and Festus because one caster is easy to kill, and without blades my army loses half the strength.

Archived