Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

Very happy for the clarifications on Exalted Greater Daemons not being named characters.

Of course it made sense just by reading their titles but now you can't have people obnoxiously trying to shame you for using them as intended in games.

I stayed out of that one mostly because I didn't have a horse in that race. I am not sure why it was such a contentious issue. 

2 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

Very happy for the clarifications on Exalted Greater Daemons not being named characters.

Of course it made sense just by reading their titles but now you can't have people obnoxiously trying to shame you for using them as intended in games.

I mean it just goes to show, that lore does play a large part in match play profiles as I explained to @Keldaur & @Auretious Taak

it also goes to show as i said that you should always go by the books, not some app. 

On 18/01/2018 at 11:41 PM, Turragor said:

Think of it this way - if death had "graveyard" scenery they placed like wildwoods or gnarlmaws that summoned would summoning be considered so useless now? I think not. Because I think there are some smart things you can do with that

I called it! Well it was maybe obvious in retrospect lol

40 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

Hopefully with all these alternate methods to summoning that they update each army with, they will eventually get rid of the reinforcement points for most armies, and there will be a reason  to use contagion points for new nurgle units ^^ .

Is the general consensus that summoning is worthless? It sucks because are the gnarlmaws worth the sweat if all they do is run and charge? Like that's such a lame effect for a seemingly revolutionary addition to our army. Also wish the. Sickening blossoms was more potent. 50:50 for 1 mw is weak. Should be d3

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Is the general consensus that summoning is worthless? It sucks because are the gnarlmaws worth the sweat if all they do is run and charge? Like that's such a lame effect for a seemingly revolutionary addition to our army. Also wish the. Sickening blossoms was more potent. 50:50 for 1 mw is weak. Should be d3

Yes on all of this

5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

running and charging is extremely useful, lol

7 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

With the buffs to speed that Nurgle units can get with the Maggotkin support and Gnarlmaws, you will usually have your units where you want them to be by the time that you could summon anything useful. With that in mind, it is currently not worth it to use contagion points for anything other than additional Gnarlmaws. 

If it is in their plans to gradually phase out the old summoning mechanic with new unique mechanics for each army and remove the reinforcements points for the new balanced systems, then it will be a very welcome change in my opinion,

I do agree that 1 mortal wound on 50/50 chance is not anything to write home about. They could increase the mortal wounds to D3 wounds if you have a certain amount of Contagion Points stored for example.

11 minutes ago, Husserl said:

Is anyone else a little frustrated by the options for a General, especially for daemons? What are the choices, GUO or GUO?

Guo or eguo. It is more than fine, what do you have for leading khorne daemons? Maybe bloodthirster? And for tzeentch daemons? Maybe loc? 

I don't understand your point really.

5 minutes ago, Husserl said:

In this case it is due to there being so many name characters. You can pick them for a general, but then you miss out on a lot of the key nurgle abilities.

Nurgle has the most named characters across the whole age of sigmar. And btw we have some really cool non -named general options and even some named are playable as general (glottkin). 

Unique characters is one of the most interesting features of Nurgle, and while we could have ideally less "options" for general, again, what does tzeentch have as general? Loc, gaunt in some cases, some STD heroes... And that is it. Khorne has WoK, lord on jugger, deathbringer, mighty lord maybe some other heroes but not really that much. We have guo, eguo, glottkin, harbinger, lob, loa (for pusgoyles heavy lists) even verminlord corruptor. We have the same options for general other gods have. Surely more than tzeentch at least

14 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I'm finding that the ability to spawn near a Gnarlmaw behind enemy lines is really useful. Our only deep strike is Gutrot, but by dumping a gnarlmaw in the opponent's half, you can effectively deep strike, though generally not a very powerful unit. 

@hughwyeth We have a few options for deepstrike - gutrot n co, the affliction cyst and nurglings. 

1660 pts for the affliction cyst, gutrot, 10 blightkings and 3 nurgling bases. Enough pts left over for a max unit of  Plague bearers. I know it’s prob not the most competitive list out there, but with a bit of luck I think it could be good. 

1 hour ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@hughwyeth We have a few options for deepstrike - gutrot n co, the affliction cyst and nurglings. 

1660 pts for the affliction cyst, gutrot, 10 blightkings and 3 nurgling bases. Enough pts left over for a max unit of  Plague bearers. I know it’s prob not the most competitive list out there, but with a bit of luck I think it could be good. 

I'm not sure how useful the nurglings' deep strike is- I've never played it- but on some tables, finding cover that's 9" away from enemy units and is a useful position is quite hard. The gnarlmaw as a spawn point seems much more useful. 

7 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I'm not sure how useful the nurglings' deep strike is- I've never played it- but on some tables, finding cover that's 9" away from enemy units and is a useful position is quite hard. The gnarlmaw as a spawn point seems much more useful. 

Fair point. I use them only for area control tbh. The enemy needs to do 12 wounds of damage to them in a single turn to take them out. That endless swarm ability is very handy.

Also if I place them in a area that my enemy could do with strategically speaking, it can mean potentially less attacks go at my Lords and king units. 

But that aside, I do love the gnarlmaws, they are a very effective tool. Area control, enemy distraction, extra speed, and additional damage. Only negative about the trees is that I wish the mw stacked - but that’s me being over critical cause they’ve won me at least 1 game as they are. 

6 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Fair point. I use them only for area control tbh. The enemy needs to do 12 wounds of damage to them in a single turn to take them out. That endless swarm ability is very handy.

I thought it was only heal for remaining models, not bring the whole unit back to full health and number of models? So if they kill off one base of nurglings, it's not coming back?

1 minute ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

No, it says heal any wounds allocated to the unit. 

But is that not in the same vein as "heal d3 wound to x unit" doesn't mean you can bring back plaguebearers? As in the wording "wounds" in AoS means per model, not as a unit?

Just now, hughwyeth said:

But is that not in the same vein as "heal d3 wound to x unit" doesn't mean you can bring back plaguebearers? As in the wording "wounds" in AoS means per model, not as a unit?

You may be correct. My understanding however was the endless swarm was supposed to represent an endless swarm of nurglings refilling it’s ranks. Especially with it saying heal any wounds allocated. Healing any wounds allocated to the unit that turn would bring some bases back. 

2 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

You may be correct. My understanding however was the endless swarm was supposed to represent an endless swarm of nurglings refilling it’s ranks. Especially with it saying heal any wounds allocated. Healing any wounds allocated to the unit that turn would bring some bases back. 

Yeah i thought that was the old rule but the wording changed in the updated warscroll? I'm not sure. If you're correct, then they're really potent, especially in huge blocks of 6!

Archived