Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Yeh it’s nice to be in a position where choices are hard to make! On balance I’ll probably go for bell/blade with the breath and gift. Tempted to put endless gift on my daemon prince though, because he just dies tooooo easily...

Potentially that’d be good. Although chances are it’d be killed in a turn anyway. It’s just encourage your opponent to focus fire on the dp.

4 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

When I’ve brought a guo, I’m gonna figure a way of adding the flail to my EGUO. Perhaps on the base at his feet or something. 

How about an intestine flail?? Green stuff intestines. Maybe coming from his guts..like he ripped a few out and now he smacks you with em. Could probably get them positioned in between his hand and "hip"

6 hours ago, Lucio said:

Out of interest, what do people think about a Chaos Warshrine to buff Blight Kings. Helps that I had a cool model idea of a Corpse Cart pulled by a Beast of Nurgle, with Blight Kings loading corpses on board

I have fantastic ideas for war shrines.. I just haven't ever seen them really make a huge difference in a game.. for 180 points it's a hard sell for me. Might make one and play with it though for fun

9 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Personally I'd take blade over flail, Nurgle relies on getting off those key casts so every little helps!

Well it only works for the GUO, but the prime reason for me to skip the Bileblade is because as a non-Nurgle player I would instantly stop seeing it as a massive issue piece. Everytime a GUO hurts itself it's one step closer to death in my eyes. So not only is the Nurgle player playing a dangerous game there it basically sets the GUO up to be killed. Which is something I just don't like too much.

E.g. a WoK Bloodthirster can't kill a fully healed GUO by itself when general, with Artefact etc. But the moment that GUO would drop to 14 wounds things become vastly different. Plus it all occurs before your opponent has to make all the choices so even when you hurt yourself and still get spells unbound you can get punished. If there was more reason for Nurgle to have high cast results, maby, but there isn't other than for harder to unbind purposes.

Factor in the Tome without much downsides and I think it's not only saver but keeps the GUO as a relevant beatstick, which is near impossible to kill and can actually use his Pestilent Breath without the fear of oppossing models rolling him up completely. 

However as said, there is good internal balance, the choice is certainly there. Magic is important but I feel the Bileblade isn't needed the moment you hold a cheaper sorcerer in the back that can play with the Cycle. Which then kills oppossing support characters that most of the time are doing the unbinding. It should cascade to a point where GUO doesn't need the Blade at all.

5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I have fantastic ideas for war shrines.. I just haven't ever seen them really make a huge difference in a game.. for 180 points it's a hard sell for me. Might make one and play with it though for fun

For me, it's the 6+ additional save, on an already resilient Nurgle mortal that helps tip us over and re rolling all failed To Wound rolls is also pretty useful

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Well it only works for the GUO, but the prime reason for me to skip the Bileblade is because as a non-Nurgle player I would instantly stop seeing it as a massive issue piece. Everytime a GUO hurts itself it's one step closer to death in my eyes. So not only is the Nurgle player playing a dangerous game there it basically sets the GUO up to be killed. Which is something I just don't like too much.

E.g. a WoK Bloodthirster can't kill a fully healed GUO by itself when general, with Artefact etc. But the moment that GUO would drop to 14 wounds things become vastly different. Plus it all occurs before your opponent has to make all the choices so even when you hurt yourself and still get spells unbound you can get punished. If there was more reason for Nurgle to have high cast results, maby, but there isn't other than for harder to unbind purposes.

Factor in the Tome without much downsides and I think it's not only saver but keeps the GUO as a relevant beatstick, which is near impossible to kill and can actually use his Pestilent Breath without the fear of oppossing models rolling him up completely. 

However as said, there is good internal balance, the choice is certainly there. Magic is important but I feel the Bileblade isn't needed the moment you hold a cheaper sorcerer in the back that can play with the Cycle. Which then kills oppossing support characters that most of the time are doing the unbinding. It should cascade to a point where GUO doesn't need the Blade at all.

I like this breakdown, makes me think the bileblade isn't so cool. I'm trying to make my head win over my heart for the mainhand.

I mean, the bell is best... but have you SEEN that sword? I opened the box and just let out a little gasp at the sword.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Our cycle control can’t really be used to snipe hero’s unfortunately. This is because abilities such as rampant disease occur at the start of the hero phase. Once the cycle change spell has been cast it is no longer the start of the phase. 

I think you make good points regarding the dagger however, it gives me a lot to think about. That being said it further validates my feelings that 2 guo’s will be better than 1 haha. 

10 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Our cycle control can’t really be used to snipe hero’s unfortunately. This is because abilities such as rampant disease occur at the start of the hero phase. Once the cycle change spell has been cast it is no longer the start of the phase. 

I think you make good points regarding the dagger however, it gives me a lot to think about. That being said it further validates my feelings that 2 guo’s will be better than 1 haha. 

Well you certainly can use it to snipe heroes, when used well. As before, put the cycle to 5, it will go to 6 next Hero phase and proceed to put it back to 5 again in the following turns. So while it might skip turn 1 in terms of hero sniping, turn 2, 3, 4 and 5 can still do it, which most certainly can still be enough. 

Double GUO is certainly a potent option! Having said that I do think Rotigus is a better second GUO as the GUO is because while the Daemonic Artefacts arn't bad there arn't a ton of great ones either. A back up play with Rotigus is scarier to me. Same really is true for Tzeentch with a LoC and Kairos or even Khorne with a WoKBT and Skarbrand. Most of the time it's the combination of a Command Trait and Artefact that makes a Greater Daemon so tasty. 

At the same time I also still believe a bell-less GUO is a completely viable choice aswell. Though one thing I would then look into is two Drone bombs (2x 6) and likely 10 Blightkings under vision of Gutrot. This practically removes the need for the bell and the Bilesword isn't some kind of joke... ;) 

45 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

You make a really good case for flail over blade... particularly as I think even a support GUO is gonna be wading into combat sooner or later. Doubly so if you’re taking pestilential breath. 

I think it can be a great combat asset and with Bell and Blade it just cant deal at all with high armoured targets with many wounds.

Same is true for the WoKBT, you can gear it towards additional defence but it removes its strongest asset, offensive power.

I believe GUOs strongest asset not so much to be Magic, much more a Horde removal tool. With Breath you end up with a ton of attacks that eat away at any infantry on 20 to 32mm bases. The Flail has rend and two damage which adds up to. In addition in a pinch his CA can be used on himself functionally with a Flail too.

Love the bell for most lists though because Bearers should jam really well with him. 

The only danger I see for a GUO is oppossing Monster Generals which can be tarpitted really well with Plaguebearers. If it flies, bubblewrapping the GUO remains an option too.

The dagger effect isnt bad, but hurting your own general while reducing his offense is something I think thakes more risks than required. Hes a beast to thake out undamaged. 

Hi,

actually I don't know if I skiped it in this thread, but I think the Plague Drones have weapon options now (nobody mentions it when they have Plague Drones in there list) .

in the description we have the following part now:

... and either lash at the foe with a Prehensile Probioscis or bite with Foul Mouthparts.

The Prehensile Probioscis was the weapon they had before. The Foul Mouthparts is new. But I think having 3 attacks still should be better.

2 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Hi,

actually I don't know if I skiped it in this thread, but I think the Plague Drones have weapon options now (nobody mentions it when they have Plague Drones in there list) .

in the description we have the following part now:

The Prehensile Probioscis was the weapon they had before. The Foul Mouthparts is new. But I think having 3 attacks still should be better.

Im assuming the proboscis is the long trunk like "nose" and the mouthparts are just the normal face? If so my  options are already chosen for me as my drones are built.  

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Im assuming the proboscis is the long trunk like "nose" and the mouthparts are just the normal face? If so my  options are already chosen for me as my drones are built.  

Yeah, this should be the definition of "proboscis".

We can see the Foul Mouthparts on the Pusgoyle Blightlords, so these are the heads without the thunk.

Archived