Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, smucreo said:

I think in the FAQ it's stated that a model or unit is always within range of itself, so he should heal.

But on those occasions the wording for the spell or ability will say "within". In this case it doesnt. 

9 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

What's the role of the lord of afflictions? Seems out of place in this list..

The other fellas were right, he’s there to buff the drones. I did have a DP on buffing duty, but he dies sooo easily! The LoA is a solid hero with some nice rules, and he activates the locus.

Hi guys, i post here my list for a  little tournament at my local store and i need advices. It's 1500 points and only 2 battlelines required, everything else is by the book ! I will mainly play against Death lists and i want to play a good list but not full competitive to keep the fun in ! 

Ecko - Allegiance: Moggotkin of Nurgle

Leaders
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Resilient 
- Artefact : The Witherstave 
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Great Unclean One (340)
- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence

Units
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)

Total: 1460 / 1500
Wounds: 110

One unit of 5 PB with Grutrot to flank turn 1 and the other unit of 10 PB, buffed by the Sorcerer and the Harbinger with his nice bubble, rushing with the GUO (bell and Bileblade) straight forward. The PG are there for rushing objective and support where needed.  Was thinking of replacing the Sorcerer for a Sorcerer Lord of Chaos marked Nurgle, for 40 points (that i loose anyway if i don't spend them) i have a reroll 1 on saves for the 10 PB but he will loose the ignore wounds rule of the Harbinger (since he doesn't have the rotbringer key word) and can be more vulnerable.

What do you think of this ? 

@Vomikron Noxis I used the affliction cyst with a 6 drones as a strike team. 

All 5 units moved up together with the drones at the front. Drones charged the front lines causing havoc.  The blightlords and LOA charged over the top to get behind enemy lines and to attack the buffer units. 

1 minute ago, smucreo said:

Okay, it does make sense.

Unfortunately so ha ha ha. As I say though 2 guo’s ain’t a bad idea. 

Hey, since everyone ks posting lists I thought we might as well talk about weaknesses our army has and how to patch them up or at least how to play to our strengths. What do you guys think are the worst matchups for Nurgle? How would you try to remedy them? or would you just reinforce the strong points of your lists instead of trying to patch up potential weaknesses? 

I think a potential problem is high amounts of magic burst, since it generally will go right through one of our saves, and ignores the general to hit to wound formula, which we would otherwise influence in our favour considering the many artifacts, debuffs and abilities we have to do so. We also have little in the way of casters that can try to counter enemy spells reliably, considering lots lf wizards have + to cast/unbind. In that sense I don't know how much can be done about it other than trying to kill the wizards ASAP, but that can be hard if the enemy guards them properly. What are your thoughts?

15 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Hey, since everyone ks posting lists I thought we might as well talk about weaknesses our army has and how to patch them up or at least how to play to our strengths. What do you guys think are the worst matchups for Nurgle? How would you try to remedy them? or would you just reinforce the strong points of your lists instead of trying to patch up potential weaknesses? 

I think a potential problem is high amounts of magic burst, since it generally will go right through one of our saves, and ignores the general to hit to wound formula, which we would otherwise influence in our favour considering the many artifacts, debuffs and abilities we have to do so. We also have little in the way of casters that can try to counter enemy spells reliably, considering lots lf wizards have + to cast/unbind. In that sense I don't know how much can be done about it other than trying to kill the wizards ASAP, but that can be hard if the enemy guards them properly. What are your thoughts?

I think lists with some way to generate minus to hit debuffs could be a problem for the BK heavy lists I have seen here.

I think the general weakness would be expensive units, making it very hard to justify MoN units outside of its Nurgle Allegiance. Much more as any factiom really.

With Nurgle Allegiance I think the only weakness left might be the limited acces to Mortal Wounds on Infantry. Though character hunting is very potent for Nurgle as there are plenty of Mortal wounds caused there.

Costs involved make Wizards all the more important. I think the general Hero formula of Nurgle should revolve around that fact. Cycle to 5-6 manipulation should be the key to kill opossing magic.

So all in all I think the only true weakness are costs involved per MoN unit. Its workable with Blight Trees but otherwise not.

Hard match ups would be the same as the meta has trouble with. Seraphon have some amazing anti Daemon tools that work well vs Nurgle too. Toad Vortex is strong. Vulkite blocks of 30 still have a brickton of attacks and are likely too cheap. Etc.

Thing is with AoS is that you cant really counterbuild with Chaos, I feel we just present our strength and hope to push through.

In addition some great lists of Nurgle to be inspired with:

http://www.heraldsofwar.com/documents/cancon-2018-lists-chaos.pdf

Thoughts:

- Paul's list is very promising. 
- David Kerr's list looks awesome. A combination of Glottkin, kings and bearers I really like.
- Mark's list is one I'd love to test out if I'd go heavy on the army right now too. Tons of resilience, GUO, bearers, kings and warriors ftw!
- David's monster mash is certainly a scary contender which I love. 
- Dalton's Chaos Warriors bomb is very strong and proven potent. 
- Samual's looks very promising to me. 
- Matt's Glottkin list seems strong but I'd personally feel inclined to skip on Blightcyst and add more Blightkings really. The "cost" of Blightcyst in his list basically adds up to 300 points. A bit too much for my liking. 

All in all I think it confirms the discussions here too. There is a worthy Battalion in MoN but I'd say it's so far only Plague Cyst, with the right ammount of kings.
I think the GUO usage will increase over the months as soon as more players have the model painted up. The Glottkin will remain an ever popular model but I do believe it's largely interesting if you go heavier on the Mortals/numbers. 

6 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Blight Cyst is the one that gives BK the ignore cover + rend + shooting attack right? Why do you feel Plague Cyst is better?

Oi! Here's me not playing MoN. I was under the impression that Plague Cyst did that but if it's Blight Cyst I certainly mend Blight Cyst!

10 hours ago, Yeled said:

This came up in the Tournament Builds and How to Counter Them thread (a good read, btw). The claim was made that a GUO can heal itself with its spell. I don't think that's the case. This is what I said in that thread:

• Using the spell, you pick a point up to 14" away from the GUO and draw a line from the nearest part of the model to that point. Any unit the line passes over suffers d3 mortal wounds unless it's a Nurgle unit, in which case it heals d3 wounds. What I question is, since you start at the edge of the model, the line doesn't actually ever cross over the GUO. Therefore it shouldn't be subject to the spell. I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it anyway.

What do the Nurgle players think? Can it heal itself, or only other units?

I don't think it affects the GUO, that doesn't seem to be the intent of the rule. It would be nice if it worked, but whatever. 

Is it now worded that you pick a point which is within 14"? It used to be an enemy model within 14" which was a drag for when you wanted to use the spell to heal something, but the enemy units were just too far away. 

4 hours ago, smucreo said:

Blight Cyst is the one that gives BK the ignore cover + rend + shooting attack right? Why do you feel Plague Cyst is better?

I agree about this Battalion. I'd considered a Blightblender list which leveraged all the save debuffs to get -2 or -3 to an enemy unit's save if done correctly.  

36 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Anyone came up with any ideas for the 3 GUO list? Currently struggling to work out something that would work well with them. Thoughts welcome

The 3 GUOs are so expensive that there isn't much to work with really.

My initial thoughts was this

Rotigus
Great Unclean One
Great Unclean One
Sloppity Bilepiper
Chaos Sorcerer Lord of Nurgle (or Festus)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle
10 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle
10 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle

Battalions
Thricefold Befoulment
2000pts

8 hours ago, Killax said:

In addition some great lists of Nurgle to be inspired with:

http://www.heraldsofwar.com/documents/cancon-2018-lists-chaos.pdf

Thoughts:

- Paul's list is very promising. 
- David Kerr's list looks awesome. A combination of Glottkin, kings and bearers I really like.
- Mark's list is one I'd love to test out if I'd go heavy on the army right now too. Tons of resilience, GUO, bearers, kings and warriors ftw!
- David's monster mash is certainly a scary contender which I love. 
- Dalton's Chaos Warriors bomb is very strong and proven potent. 
- Samual's looks very promising to me. 
- Matt's Glottkin list seems strong but I'd personally feel inclined to skip on Blightcyst and add more Blightkings really. The "cost" of Blightcyst in his list basically adds up to 300 points. A bit too much for my liking. 

All in all I think it confirms the discussions here too. There is a worthy Battalion in MoN but I'd say it's so far only Plague Cyst, with the right ammount of kings.
I think the GUO usage will increase over the months as soon as more players have the model painted up. The Glottkin will remain an ever popular model but I do believe it's largely interesting if you go heavier on the Mortals/numbers. 

Kerr's list looks great, but Glotkin with a 4+ save and no ward save is just to easy to bring down for a big point sink. It sucks but I dont know if he is good enough without the harbinger, and than at that point.. I dont think he is as valuable without the command ability. I dont know where I am at right now between those two as my general... its just such a hard choice!

4 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I don't think it affects the GUO, that doesn't seem to be the intent of the rule. It would be nice if it worked, but whatever. 

Is it now worded that you pick a point which is within 14"? It used to be an enemy model within 14" which was a drag for when you wanted to use the spell to heal something, but the enemy units were just too far away. 

Yep. Pick a point.

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Kerr's list looks great, but Glotkin with a 4+ save and no ward save is just to easy to bring down for a big point sink. It sucks but I dont know if he is good enough without the harbinger, and than at that point.. I dont think he is as valuable without the command ability. I dont know where I am at right now between those two as my general... its just such a hard choice!

I really wish the Glottkin was more resilient. It kind of needs a 5++ save or Endless Gift but can't get either while retaining its command ability, which is crucial to making it worthwhile for the points.

1 minute ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I largely agree, its also because why I am so focused on the GUO. The GUO presents the best of both worlds. It's cost floats around that 300 level, it's hard to thake out, it has good spells, it has a good Command Ability and with Pestilent Breath it's output is fantastic against large blobs of infantry aswell. 

Though if I had to make a choice between Harbinger and Glottkin general I'd pick Glottkin. You can bubble-wrap him too. Shooting him away is hard. 

Archived