Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

I think part of the problem is Terrain rules are just more rules on an already very heavy rules set. every units has its own mini book of rules and if you're not familiar with your army it can really slow the game down. My group doesn't play often but we tend to play for long periods (Fri - Sunday) when we do every few months. The problem is we're getting old o.Oand forgetting the rules so we like to ease back into it with as few rules as possible so we always ignore Terrain rules with the intention of using them later on as that's the way its "Supposed to be played". So far we've only used them a couple of times and never more than 2 or 3 bits of terrain with special rules. GW need to ease back on all the rules and crazy army restrictions as it's really starting to slow play down. I don't even enjoy building armies anymore it's so hard to make one I want to play especially if it's themed. I've just finished a big weekend of gaming and we basically ignored all the Matched play rules this weekend and just aimed for 2000pts and same faction only. Had some great games and armies as a result.

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got a 2nd hand araloth in blister with a square base (20 mm). Now my whole wanderer army is on squares.. but I think I might just do him on a round being an independant character and all. What is the current base size of the Nomad Prince? I have a spare 25 and 32 mm round base.. I think he might look better on 32 mm  but fitting him in ranks of 25 mm bases will be hard enough on a 25 mm round. (How they ever put him on a square 20 mm I will never know).

Anyway I also saw sisters of the watch on those pics.. how did they do?

On 10/1/2017 at 6:31 PM, WABBIT said:

I think part of the problem is Terrain rules are just more rules on an already very heavy rules set. every units has its own mini book of rules and if you're not familiar with your army it can really slow the game down. My group doesn't play often but we tend to play for long periods (Fri - Sunday) when we do every few months. The problem is we're getting old o.Oand forgetting the rules so we like to ease back into it with as few rules as possible so we always ignore Terrain rules with the intention of using them later on as that's the way its "Supposed to be played". So far we've only used them a couple of times and never more than 2 or 3 bits of terrain with special rules. GW need to ease back on all the rules and crazy army restrictions as it's really starting to slow play down. I don't even enjoy building armies anymore it's so hard to make one I want to play especially if it's themed. I've just finished a big weekend of gaming and we basically ignored all the Matched play rules this weekend and just aimed for 2000pts and same faction only. Had some great games and armies as a result.

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

I love your huge horde of wild riders. I only have 10. But I like the idea of a fae-style wild hunt as an army theme.

14 hours ago, Aezeal said:

So I got a 2nd hand araloth in blister with a square base (20 mm). Now my whole wanderer army is on squares.. but I think I might just do him on a round being an independant character and all. What is the current base size of the Nomad Prince? I have a spare 25 and 32 mm round base.. I think he might look better on 32 mm  but fitting him in ranks of 25 mm bases will be hard enough on a 25 mm round. (How they ever put him on a square 20 mm I will never know).

I put mine on a 32mm and I think it looks great and fits well. The TGA base guide lists him (and the rest of the Wanderer heroes) as being on 25mm bases. Also there is a wide shot of the Wanderer army in the Grand Alliance: Order book that does show some Wanderer heroes on 25mm bases, although the Prince's base is itself obscured. However, they now sell the Nomad Prince packaged with a round base and comparing closely my model with the webstore pictures I'm reasonably sure they sell him with a 32mm base now. He could certainly fit on a 25mm but I think his cloak and hawk would be sticking way out off his base at that point. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Nomad-Prince

Nomad PrinceFinarfindel.jpg.408bc0bb4e1d2bbe58a6507fe470cc63.jpg

I didn't quite center my model on the base perfectly, being set a few mm off to the left from this angle, but I'm pretty sure that base depicted in the official photo is 32mm. Anyone out there bought the Prince since his repack? I've been wanting to confirm his base size myself but the store description doesn't mention it. 

19 hours ago, awcamawn said:

I put mine on a 32mm and I think it looks great and fits well. The TGA base guide lists him (and the rest of the Wanderer heroes) as being on 25mm bases. Also there is a wide shot of the Wanderer army in the Grand Alliance: Order book that does show some Wanderer heroes on 25mm bases, although the Prince's base is itself obscured. However, they now sell the Nomad Prince packaged with a round base and comparing closely my model with the webstore pictures I'm reasonably sure they sell him with a 32mm base now. He could certainly fit on a 25mm but I think his cloak and hawk would be sticking way out off his base at that point. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Nomad-Prince

Nomad PrinceFinarfindel.jpg.408bc0bb4e1d2bbe58a6507fe470cc63.jpg

I didn't quite center my model on the base perfectly, being set a few mm off to the left from this angle, but I'm pretty sure that base depicted in the official photo is 32mm. Anyone out there bought the Prince since his repack? I've been wanting to confirm his base size myself but the store description doesn't mention it. 

I bought it but I can't remember the size of the base it came with. It's possible it came with a 32 mm and I put it on a smaller base to match the other Wanderers. On the other hand, Mistweaver Saih and Tanaebrael Shard come with 32 mm bases...so maybe that's the way they are going with aelf heroes in the future.

I'll just put it on a 32 then, those models have the same or less bulk in comparison to our prince so I guess he'll be on the same base. And a 25 mm base just barely fits around his feet so when looking at the pics it almost certainly has to be a 32 mm one.

Did you guys see the aelf themed mix-order army that won the AOS Grand Tournament? It's not Wanderers but it does have Glade Guard. I find it interesting that a mostly traditional list like this came in first.

Here's the list:

Dragonlord
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix
Archmage
Loremaster
Battlemage
20x Glade Guard
10x Highborn Spearmen
10x Skinks
10x Skinks
5x Doomfire Warlocks
5x Judicators
Balewind Vortex

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/09/the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-grand-tournament-the-winning-army/

4 hours ago, Yeled said:

Did you guys see the aelf themed mix-order army that won the AOS Grand Tournament? It's not Wanderers but it does have Glade Guard. I find it interesting that a mostly traditional list like this came in first.

Here's the list:

Dragonlord
Archmage
Loremaster
Battlemage
20x Glade Guard
10x Highborn Spearmen
10x Skinks
10x Skinks
5x Doomfire Warlocks
5x Judicators
Balewind Vortex

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/09/the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-grand-tournament-the-winning-army/

Bah a Fluke! :D It's the Frosties and mages that won it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a heavily Aelf theme army do well especially as I've never seen one at an event before but it's hard to see what armies are at events without being there as they are always listed as "Order" and not Aelf or Swift Hawk etc.... (I just check the Event score list online). I assume the newer Wanderer allegiance means they should get a specific mention now but I haven't seen any Wanderer armies show up yet either. I'm not aware of any Aelf armies ever making an appearance on Warhammer TV apart from Dark Aelves which don't count. I'm interested in High Born and Wanderer/Wood Aelves so it's great to not only see them finally make an appearance but to actually win the Grand Final is fantastic. Unfortunately it may result in Frost Phoenix getting a nerf as it's quite easy to get it to 1+ Save and the Ward save and the Arch mage spell means they are almost indestructible which isn't fun to face (or play after a while) - a Seraphon Slann may stand a chance at dispelling all the spells as they have battlefield range to dispel. Either way Kudos to Byron and well done for putting Aelfs in the lime light again. 

As soon as I get chance I will watch the Twitch videos of the GT event - I assume there is at least one video of Byron using his army? It will be interesting to see how he uses it and how the GG contribute to the overall strategy. The -3 rend is good but with only one shot, no Re-rolls or +1 to hit it's not exactly amazing and with only 20 models it's easy to knock down to 4+ to hit. I think there bark is worse than their bite and threat is a useful tool in any army. Having said that I used 30 GG with Nomad buff vs 30 Storm vermin in cover +Mystic shield and a 5+ ward save from Vermin lord and I killed 10 plus some ran with Battle shock so they definitely helped to severely weaken a very tough unit. 

18 hours ago, nightsrage said:

Has anyone explored a large unit of Sisters of the Watch (20-30 strong), and using melt away? 

Seems like "melt away" is truly capitalized on with their "shoot until the last" ability. 

I used 20 in one unit recently and it crippled every unit it shot at but I had a screen of wardancers and never got charged so I can't say if the wanderer allegiance was very effective. Also they were Skaven (Chaos) so 2+ to wound was very nasty. I positioned one sister at the front between 2 wardancer troupes to reduce the number of enemy models who could attack the sisters. This meant I could trigger "shoot unto the last" ability and melt away with minimal casualties but nothing got to charge them in the end. See photo's above in this thread.

(I could have kept them in 2 units for the extra champion attack but it wouldn't trigger all 20 when charged) Not sure which way is best yet haven't used them enough. Luckily my opponent did me the courtesy of attacking me with combat troops when he could have sat back out of range and made me move).

I think the frostheart phoenix is one of the strongest order units. I will include one in my stormcast list. Will convert  the rider to a stormcast so he fits the sheme. Only 240 points, very nice battle profile, 4+ save against everything and a bubble of -1 to wound.  Really op in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

I think the frostheart phoenix is one of the strongest order units. I will include one in my stormcast list. Will convert  the rider to a stormcast so he fits the sheme. Only 240 points, very nice battle profile, 4+ save against everything and a bubble of -1 to wound.  Really op in my opinion.

Yeah, I had already added one to my Wanderers list. Converting the high aelf to a Wanderer as well.  :)

I finally had a chance to use my Wanderers today and the allegiance abilities serve me well.  The ability to teleport along a table edge help my glade guard unit to serve as a mobile machine gun nest (it helped that I was fighting Khorne and destruction who came towards me and my friend).  I managed to use melt away as well. Letting my archers flee while I sent a combat unit to tie up the enemy.  What you guyssaid earlier are all valid.  The wanderers still have to slog in mid table to seize objectives,.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:51 PM, nightsrage said:

Has anyone explored a large unit of Sisters of the Watch (20-30 strong), and using melt away? 

Seems like "melt away" is truly capitalized on with their "shoot until the last" ability. 

Loosing till the Last and then Melting Away will give you 2 shots at the enemy, where standing still with a defensive frontline will also give you 2 shots at the enemy, but without risk of losing any. Seems like an obvious choice to me. :P

On 10/11/2017 at 12:47 PM, Yeled said:

Here's the list:

Dragonlord
Archmage
Loremaster
Battlemage
20x Glade Guard
10x Highborn Spearmen
10x Skinks
10x Skinks
5x Doomfire Warlocks
5x Judicators
Balewind Vortex

Saw this! His list is actually pretty similar to what mine is, though mine is built around Hurricanum Synergy instead of a Balewind and Dragon. I actually decided to get Skinks after my last tournament too. :D

14 hours ago, darkspear said:

I finally had a chance to use my Wanderers today and the allegiance abilities serve me well.  The ability to teleport along a table edge help my glade guard unit to serve as a mobile machine gun nest (it helped that I was fighting Khorne and destruction who came towards me and my friend).  I managed to use melt away as well. Letting my archers flee while I sent a combat unit to tie up the enemy.  What you guyssaid earlier are all valid.  The wanderers still have to slog in mid table to seize objectives,.

After your opponents realize they can spread out to prevent you from teleporting anywhere but on your own table edge, you'll see games play out differently. They get very predictable unfortunately. :/

32 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Loosing till the Last and then Melting Away will give you 2 shots at the enemy, where standing still with a defensive frontline will also give you 2 shots at the enemy, but without risk of losing any. Seems like an obvious choice to me. :P

Saw this! His list is actually pretty similar to what mine is, though mine is built around Hurricanum Synergy instead of a Balewind and Dragon. I actually decided to get Skinks after my last tournament too. :D

After your opponents realize they can spread out to prevent you from teleporting anywhere but on your own table edge, you'll see games play out differently. They get very predictable unfortunately. :/

Them spreading out wouldn't bother me.. you'd still have targets and even less chance of getting charged... his conclusion about objectives remains though.

@Aezeal I think you missed my point. Forcing your opponent to spread out is fine - that's pressure which is valuable in its own way. My point is that most games start to play exactly the same way. You can teleport to the short sides of the table and shoot his units on the ends of his army (the ones he doesn't care about) while he keeps everything else safe and sits on objectives. You have exactly the same chance of getting charged, since you are teleporting 9" away from an enemy in either case. His conclusion about objectives was what I've been telling everyone since the first week of GHB 2017 lol

2 hours ago, Tidings said:

@Aezeal I think you missed my point. Forcing your opponent to spread out is fine - that's pressure which is valuable in its own way. My point is that most games start to play exactly the same way. You can teleport to the short sides of the table and shoot his units on the ends of his army (the ones he doesn't care about) while he keeps everything else safe and sits on objectives. You have exactly the same chance of getting charged, since you are teleporting 9" away from an enemy in either case. His conclusion about objectives was what I've been telling everyone since the first week of GHB 2017 lol

Yeah I get your point.. and you me and others have already said that the objectives game is hardly possible for us, at least not with teleporting infantry.  I don't play a lot of games and we are starting a firestorm campaign and I've deceided to go with my sylvaneth as a likely more competative army so I can't try it out BUT I'd still want to try a few 2K games with the same teleporting group I had in my 1.5K army but with 

1. some cavalry to grab objective

2. a phoenix and cavalry

3. the batallion (whicn included the cavalry but will make me lower the shots in the teleporting group)

But I doubt it'll work for a tournament.

Anyway I'd try to teleport a bit more than 9"away from the enemy myself  :D

The major problem to the Wanderers army is to read.the rules of teleporting, and then belive that theme must be used all turns. 

But reading better the Wanderers Warscroll we can see a lot of rules that triggers only when you DON'T move.

The answer here is to play them as a normal army, and use the teleporting skill wisely. Not always, only when needed. And not with all the chioces.

In fact, that's a rule tha works at best with just a couple of units roaming on the edges, and the rest of the army doing the "anvil". 30x2 Eternal Guards with some Glade and Sisters in the back works nicely. Stationary Waywatchers are useful too. 

You should play the game on the board, fight for objectives, and use the teleporting thing only when you need it, and with a small part of your army.

GladeGuards works moving, so they are a good choice for that. Waywatchers can manage a good amout of damages even after move so they works fine too. Plus they are small size (1 model), pretty easy to teleport them wherever you want.

In some games, teleport is needed only for setting a bait. Some other times, for getting a good position.

But that's not a thing that you should do always and with all of your army. I've done it and my conclusion were the same: in this way, you can't fight for objectives. 

But doesn't mean that Wanderers sucks. Use it carefully, teleport carefully and only when you really need it. And never write an entire list for that. 

You need to stand in the ground.

On 10/1/2017 at 4:24 AM, awcamawn said:

I feel like the wyldwood bit is tacked on, and mostly for narrative play. The allegiance offers no protection from Wyldwoods nor any way to deploy them. I think the only way to get one in matched play without Sylvaneth allegiance is the Treelord Ancient. But as a whole the allegiance could be very useful with certain battleplans, again particularly in narrative play. The Firestorm book comes with a set of new 'Surprise Attack' battleplans, and in these or similar battleplans a Living City army being 'ambushed' could hold many key units in reserve and then deploy them in any movement phase to turn the tables and ambush the ambushers, instead of being limited and hemmed in by disadvantageous deployment zone size and position. Looking at the special Firestorm battleplans specifically, they say to ignore normal victory conditions and instead score kill points at the end of the fifth battle round. So a Living City army being ambushed could simply hold all units in reserve and ignore the normal disadvantage the defending player gets on the first battle round in each of these battleplans. So I think it's an awesome fluffy ability for narrative play that lets my Wanderer army almost impossible to catch off guard and surprise attack. 

Also fyi the Firestorm includes some reusable 'stickers' specifically for Wanderers! It's like we a real AoS faction now! :P We made it guys!

Thanks @awcamawn I must have missed your reply until now! :D

So now its been out a while can anyone tell me how Living City allegiance works without a TreeLord Ancient? Can it work without one? Why did it get such a lame ability? There is no other way to get wyld woods without using older scrolls like Durthu or Sylvaneth allegiance which is no longer allowed. I just don't get it. And we have to pay for the wyld woods....I may as well say "Hi I want to play with my hands tied behind my back, fancy a game? Come on it won't last very long trust me". 

There must be something in the Firestorm book that makes Living City allegiance make sense and worth taking. I was poised to buy it as soon as it was released but the pre sales stuff I read put me off.  There was literally nothing that got me excited about it when I realised Wanderers and Highborn got nothing useful again. I collect Sylvaneth too but why would I bother with Living City allegiance when I can do so much more with Sylvaneth allegiance? Please someone convince me it's worth getting. I was really looking forward to getting some cool new rules to play with. I loved Mighty Empires back in the day and I was hoping this would be AoS answer to that but I don't see the point if the allegiance I get for Wanderer troops is so utterly rubbish. The only other city allegiance wanderers are in are Grey water or something and that's only good for arty plus we cannot use Wanderer allegiance now as well...I despair of GW sometimes. I'm not being forced to buy a new army, no sir. Give me Wanderers or give me eBay. :P

12 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

There must be something in the Firestorm book that makes Living City allegiance make sense and worth taking.

Using it when you play against Sylvaneth. Think of the shenanigans.

In all seriousness with the Free City allegiances now being available only to armies using Order allegiance abilities, there's really no reason for Wanderers to take on and give up all their wonderful new toys.

On a totally unrelated note, has anyone tried using a Balewind Vortex summon behind their Waywatchers to get them within 22" of the enemy without moving on the first turn to ensure sweet, sweet +1 to hit on fast shots yet? A Balewind with an allied Archmage on it giving everything with 36" a 6+ ward save is going to be as welcome in a Wanderer army as anywhere else.

Archived