Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

3 hours ago, Shorewood said:

How many characters can the ships hold?  or does that count towards the model count?

In the battlereport the Frigate carries 10 models, plus 3 Skywardens, while the Ironclad carries 15 models, 3 characters and 3 Endrinriggers - at this point it is unclear what are maximum numbers (beyond knowing that you can go over the carrying capacity at the cost of movement), and how different unit types interact with the carrying capacity (beyond the flying Duardin not counting for model count).

In the Battle Report the Arkanaut Company are killed, but two things to keep in mind:

• Ghouls are actually really good for a battleline troop. A unit of 20 with a Ghoul King within 10" will do an average of around 9 wounds against a 4+ save unit, or 13 if they have the Black Hunger on them. Additionally in the Battle Report they were King's Ghouls which allows them to pile in and attack in their own hero phase.
    • There were only a few left after the Frigate crashed - as pointed out by @Rollcage

I expect the Kharadron to act a bit like Eldar in play. So the Arkanaut company is roughly equivalent to Guardians. If I am right then the right way to use these guys is as a support piece for others. So, if you are assaulting an objective, move up their transport, sprog out the Company to add their firepower to the close shooting and then support the charge with them. Use them to 'cap' objectives while the rest of the army moves on. Use them as thin blue line to stop foot sloggers assaulting your skyships. They are probably going to be a waste of points if expected to fulfill the same roles as, say, liberators.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the white dwarf and yeah they do more than one round of shooting at the goul king from a couple different units and fail to bring it down.  The players attempt to shoot EVERYTHING from the ironclad into it was a latch ditch effort to finish off a wounded goul King.  So yeah bad dice rolling sucks. 

Also, they lose to the FEC. Yes, the new army loses in the White Dwarf Battle Report. It's nice to see that happen once in a while, and it is mentioned that if it didn't end at turn 4 the KO would have won a minor victory as opposed to FEC winning a minor victory. 

It sounds like transported troops (perhaps without Endrins) have to make a roll as they scramble for chutes/endrins to make a safe landing if the ship is destroyed. I'm assuming failing results in death, and I'm not sure if it's a 4+ roll but that's what it sounds like from deduction.

Heroes and Unit Champs hit hard in melee, it appears.

11 minutes ago, Shorewood said:

I've got the white dwarf and yeah they do more than one round of shooting at the goul king from a couple different units and fail to bring it down.  The players attempt to shoot EVERYTHING from the ironclad into it was a latch ditch effort to finish off a wounded goul King.  So yeah bad dice rolling sucks. 

to be fair, a zombie dragon goul king is fairly tough with it gaining D3 health back per hero phase, on top of the presumably 5+ ward save. 

but hey at least GW shows the game warts and all when it comes to dice rolling.

Incredible pictures. If you weren't sold already, the picture of the entire fleet-throng coming out of the clouds (2nd to last) has got to do it, right? Thanks @Well of Eternity

Even though I was imagining these guys as harming a darker, more grim color scheme to go along with their pirate nature, gotta say that they've pulled off the bright blue and yellow pretty well. Really exciting xD

Its funny I've got the same White Dwarf right here, but keep coming back to look at those pics!

I'm also considering dark/pirate scheme :) I can't decide if I want to do a little bit of silly stuff, like put ninja masks on the Endrins so they look like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :)

So it seems the ironclad can vent steam at close combat attacks with its belaying valves. 

Detonation drills make enemy units strike last.

Grudgebusters are most likely mortal wounds.

Skymines attack charging flyers.

Frag charges i guess cause mass wounds.

Supremacy mine has yet to be shown what it does.

Ironclad also has torps!! :o

Navigator so far seems meh.. half movement of flying units within 18", means he will most likely get slaughtered by said flying units as most will walk 7/8" and then charge?

i think i personally will skip out on the admiral (get his models for looks) and take the endrinmaster and aetherkhemyst for my heroes.

Just now, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Also has anyone else noticed the little plank on the side of the ironclad that is used to throw off traitors? "Walk the plank ye scurby dogs!!" :D

Totally, it's something I was going to model on!

3 minutes ago, Dez said:

Totally, it's something I was going to model on!

*pokes you with my blunderbus* ;)

I think the KO will really excel vs non flying spam lists the most. The FEC were kinda tailored to catch up to them with there high movement. Obviously other armies have movement shenanigans like ironjaw rush, dancing trees, horror swapsies and stormcast alpha.. but reading through the white dwarf, we dont have to deploy units inside the ships, they have a scout force on foot so we can bubblewrap if needed and then fly over our own models to secure the objectives after.

Any thoughts/hopes?

28 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Detonation drills make enemy units strike last

Nooooo....

Having seen how bonkers powerful that rule is for the Wood Elf dragon, I really was hoping GW would drop the old ASL trick, not expand it. 

I'll have to wait for context to judge, but yikes! 

27 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Nooooo....

Having seen how bonkers powerful that rule is for the Wood Elf dragon, I really was hoping GW would drop the old ASL trick, not expand it. 

I'll have to wait for context to judge, but yikes! 

Depends if they are only one use only, and helps balance the KO's weakness of CC, i see them being like 40k tau. Obviously its open to abuse with taking other units from GA Order, but pure KO i see it being fine. :)

And forest dragons werent that bad, it was damn doomwheels... Always killed my steggies and carnos!

Archived