Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

Starting a path to glory campaign soon against some DoK, having looked at their units its looking like bloodwarriors are the way to go. 

It looks like their hero's are also pretty essential so I'm going to try using a Red Headsman battalion at some point to try and bait out the queens to kill them in close combat or zone them off with the skullgrinder. Anyone have much experience with this battalion? 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I played my first match with my Skaarac Khorgorath spam list

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Skaarac the Bloodborn (500)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Daemon Prince (160)
- Axe
- Mark of the Slayer
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (120)
- Allies
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (260)

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 139

Play against a tournament Legion of Blood list
Lost 12-16 Scorched Earth

Some reflektions:

Scenario made that I couldnt use the run+charge to its full potential.
Probably never will.
So Skaarac may not be worth it 

Minus bravery bomb happened (-4 bravery) once and it didnt matter because Bloodknights high bravery stat.

Skaarac hits like a train but the base is so large so he gets hit back by many modells so he goes down pretty fast.

But Im pretty pleased with this first game 
Will try it some more

Khorgorath is always MVP

52E48FA0-6155-47CC-A7C7-646DA7455A52.jpeg

538FD389-6C7A-4D11-AE6E-6843EDFBF2B4.jpeg

03FCCFA3-BC80-455B-BA8B-668DFD44CCBA.jpeg

5411DA2B-C1E7-446E-A038-4B81799B09DD.jpeg

Want to try out Charnel Host Battalion. This is my List for a 2000 points.

Leaders
Bloodthirster Of Unfettered Fury (260)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterborn 
- Artefact: Deathdealer 
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (80)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
20 x Bloodletters (220)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
- Khorne Daemon Battleline (Karanak General)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
- Khorne Daemon Battleline (Karanak General)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Battalions
Charnel Host (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 161

First layer of punching bag - blood reavers x 20

Second layer of punching bag + damage  - flesh hounds x 10

By then, under ideal case, bloodletters should be running close and ready to charge in next turn hero phase and combat.

First time gonna try Charnel Host. Is this the correct way to use?

The battalion wants the Bloodletters to stay close to the Bloodthirster. In your hero phase his command ability allows them to pile in 6" (if within 8" of him), then the battalion lets them pile in and attack in the hero phase, before piling in another 6" and attacking again later in the combat phase. It can be incredibly devastating with a tide of bloodletters attacking twice and covering a lot of ground in one turn. Even more devastating, probably game winning, if you get the double turn. My two cents on your list as follows;

By using the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury as your general you are wasting the battalion's first ability (that he can use his command ability even when not the general). This isn't a major deal as you probably want him to have the command trait but you are paying points for the battalion's abilities...

If you keep the Bloodletters out of combat until turn 3 and your opponent has any shooting or horde clearing spells they will be ignoring the reavers and hounds (who won't really hurt them) and target the letters. Nothing in the list has any staying power so its a real glass cannon. Thats not an inherently bad thing but it means you can't hold back from combat or you risk being too weak by the time you get there.

I think the strategy needs to be getting the letters into combat ASAP.  If I was building a Charnel Host I would base it off this;

Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
Charnel Host (140)

Total: 1820 / 2000
Wounds: 133

Turn 1: WoK Bloodthirster's command ability together with a bloodstoker gets one unit of letters into combat straight away. The Unfettered Fury BT runs to keep up and use his command ability so the letters can use the longer pile in while the other stoker whips a second unit of letters who move up fast and ready to charge/pile in next turn.

Turn 2: WoK Bloodthirster's command ability together with a stoker get the third unit of letters into combat while the second unit of letters should be in range on its own, if not the second stoker whips them. This way all 3 units of letters are in your opponent's face turn 2, with the Bloodthirsters to also join the fray and mop up.

One of the Bloodthirsters should take the Crimson Crown. Other artifacts/traits to your liking. 

The above list has 180 points remaining for whatever you like. Suggestions would be; Wrathmongers, a Warshrine, a Bloodmaster and 5 flesh hounds, a Slaughterpriest and 10 x reavers or a skull cannon.

Happy skull taking!

34 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

The battalion wants the Bloodletters to stay close to the Bloodthirster. In your hero phase his command ability allows them to pile in 6" (if within 8" of him), then the battalion lets them pile in and attack in the hero phase, before piling in another 6" and attacking again later in the combat phase. It can be incredibly devastating with a tide of bloodletters attacking twice and covering a lot of ground in one turn. Even more devastating, probably game winning, if you get the double turn. My two cents on your list as follows;

By using the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury as your general you are wasting the battalion's first ability (that he can use his command ability even when not the general). This isn't a major deal as you probably want him to have the command trait but you are paying points for the battalion's abilities...

If you keep the Bloodletters out of combat until turn 3 and your opponent has any shooting or horde clearing spells they will be ignoring the reavers and hounds (who won't really hurt them) and target the letters. Nothing in the list has any staying power so its a real glass cannon. Thats not an inherently bad thing but it means you can't hold back from combat or you risk being too weak by the time you get there.

I think the strategy needs to be getting the letters into combat ASAP.  If I was building a Charnel Host I would base it off this;

- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
Charnel Host (140)

Turn 1: WoK Bloodthirster's command ability together with a bloodstoker gets one unit of letters into combat straight away. The Unfettered Fury BT runs to keep up and use his command ability so the letters can use the longer pile in while the other stoker whips a second unit of letters who move up fast and ready to charge/pile in next turn.

Turn 2: WoK Bloodthirster's command ability together with a stoker get the third unit of letters into combat while the second unit of letters should be in range on its own, if not the second stoker whips them. This way all 3 units of letters are in your opponent's face turn 2, with the Bloodthirsters to also join the fray and mop up.

One of the Bloodthirsters should take the Crimson Crown. Other artifacts/traits to your liking. 

The above list has 180 points remaining for whatever you like. Suggestions would be; Wrathmongers, a Warshrine, a Bloodmaster and 5 flesh hounds, a Slaughterpriest and 10 x reavers or a skull cannon.

Happy skull taking!

Many thanks for the suggestion! It helps a lot and got me thinking to improve on this. Looks like I need to get another bloodyhirster. Lol. Not a bad thing to add on though!

17 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
Charnel Host (140)

Happy skull taking!

For a Charnel Host you have to bring a BloodMaster

51 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Good write up! 

Id defo consider the swap out with the Slaughterpriest for a bloodstoker. Will help get the most out of the LoKoJ +1 wound on charge.

And a chance at a triumph.  I think I will try it out.

Great writeup Tolstedt. I enjoyed that immensely. I think it's a shame that many Khorne players don't consider the flexibility and shenanigans that a Bloodmarked Warband can provide. I'm using it with Skullcrushers, peeling off one Skullcrusher "mini-hero" at a time to try and do lots of little batches of mortal wounds. They tank quite well too, claiming objectives or messing up the battlefield. Lots of fun. 

I've got a 1600pt mini-tournament coming up against Seraphon, Highborn and Ironjawz.

Here's what I want to take. Criticism is welcome:

- General
- Trait: Immense Power 
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodreavers (210)
- Meatripper Axes

Total: 1600 / 1600
Wounds: 131

On 3/28/2018 at 5:55 PM, Roark said:

Great writeup Tolstedt. I enjoyed that immensely. I think it's a shame that many Khorne players don't consider the flexibility and shenanigans that a Bloodmarked Warband can provide. I'm using it with Skullcrushers, peeling off one Skullcrusher "mini-hero" at a time to try and do lots of little batches of mortal wounds. They tank quite well too, claiming objectives or messing up the battlefield. Lots of fun. 

Yes, I think I could do well if I take out Archaon and put more bodies and speed in.  I would probably run something like this:

Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Arch-slaughterer 
- Artefact: The Blade of Endless Bloodshed 
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Bloodstoker (80)

40 x Bloodreavers (240)
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
30 x Bloodletters (270)

Bloodmarked Warband (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Which would be 2 drops.

But that would mean not running Archaon.

6 hours ago, Roark said:

Love it, but I would add another combative hero with a command ability to capitalise on the battalion abilities and also the tithe generation.

Getting in the aspiring deathbringer would be best I think, or a bloodletter hero.  Not sure what I would remove to fit them in.

11 hours ago, tolstedt said:

Getting in the aspiring deathbringer would be best I think, or a bloodletter hero.  Not sure what I would remove to fit them in.

I'd even consider Valkia to assassinate a target and give you a convenient blood tithe generating option.

9 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

little rule question guys - If a Bloodmaster herald activates Blood Shall Flow on a Bloodletter unit that hasn't attacked yet, does this count as their attacks for that combat phase or are they then able to activate normally after?

You do not get an extra activation out of it, the last sentence indicates that this ability just changes activation order.

19 minutes ago, phizzco said:

why not?

You play your heroes aggressively, eventually gaining a tithe point and a fresh hero thanks to Bloodmarked Warband rules. This one can be sacrificed as well... generating a new one... and so on.

Valkia works great with Bloodmarked Warband and is probably the only semi-competitive setup where she might have a place currently.

hmmm... i have her but i dont have a million chaff units like reavers etc.... I really wish that I knew khorne was a mass unit army before i starting building it up... now i'm stuck with 30 letters and 40 reavers i still need to paint.

Archived