What mortarch to choose?

Sybirdmclightningflash

Neferata for defense, Mannfred for offense (but Settra is better), Arkhan for magic. For a Deathrattle army I would go with Neferata or Settra (so if you specifically want a Mortarch, Neferata). Arkhan becomes better the more magic you have in your army, and would work really well with a FEC or Soulblight army since Abhorrant Ghoul Kings and Vampires are wizards.

I've asked the same or very similiar question recently.

Most people propose Neferata. But I've decided to go with Manfred.  He hits harder, and is tougher to kill while Neferata has a super cool command ability,. But from my gaming experience buff is generally better than a debuff because it is more universal and less situational.

You must take into consideration that I haven't played AoS yet, but played some WFB years ago. So it is probable that Neferata is a better choice.

54 minutes ago, MikeGreen said:

Not only the seat unfortunatelly. The mount has 3 head variants (each for a given Mortarch). Even worse there are different plate types on its back/neck.

Yeah, if you can cope with two of them having the wrong head and breastplate as well.

tbh I don't know which goes with which!

22 hours ago, MikeGreen said:

Not only the seat unfortunatelly. The mount has 3 head variants (each for a given Mortarch). Even worse there are different plate types on its back/neck.

Done it, nothing problematic

21 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Yeah, if you can cope with two of them having the wrong head and breastplate as well.

tbh I don't know which goes with which!

The breastblate you don't nead to magnetize, it joints mechanically. Otherway anyway magnets are really simply to put on

If you are doing a deathrattle army I recommend mannfred his command ability ROCKS with skeleton warriors and grave guard. Plus he is great in combat with decent magic. Think about it 30+ skeleton warriors that can reroll their hit rolls and wound rolls of 1. I feel mannfred and Arkhan synergize best with a deathrattle army. 

Mannfred with his command ability and combat prowess and Arkhan since he has good magic and if you have a necromancer Arkhan can also cast Vanhel's if he is within range. 

The only downside of mannfred is that he is the most expensive but I feel he is worth his points. 

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Might get attacked for asking this but I'm new to this and don't know any of the new lore...so what did he do?

No worries! You may have heard about a little thing called the World-That-Was. It was fought over quite bitterly. At the very end, when the heroes stood poised to save the world (or what remained of it), Mannfred Von Carstein stabbed Balthasar Gelt in the back. That's the picture. This is literally a world-ending betrayal. Though nobody trusted or liked Mannfred, he chose to let Chaos win, rather than let it be defeated and have to live under Nagash' rule.

So yeah, no reason to trust him!

(This is all in a bit of jest, of course. He's a great model and great in-game. There's no real reason not to take him.)

1 hour ago, Darth Alec said:

No worries! You may have heard about a little thing called the World-That-Was. It was fought over quite bitterly. At the very end, when the heroes stood poised to save the world (or what remained of it), Mannfred Von Carstein stabbed Balthasar Gelt in the back. That's the picture. This is literally a world-ending betrayal. Though nobody trusted or liked Mannfred, he chose to let Chaos win, rather than let it be defeated and have to live under Nagash' rule.

So yeah, no reason to trust him!

(This is all in a bit of jest, of course. He's a great model and great in-game. There's no real reason not to take him.)

Well considering what nagash did to him I was not surprised as I said "Fear the man who has nothing left to lose" which was pretty much mannfred in the end. That event did cause nagash to value his twisted mind(I think) because he notes his schemes makes even neferata's look childish. Mannfred is a very go big or go home sort of vampire. 

Of course I assume nagash awarded mannfred with eternal servitude which mannfred I think feels it's worse than death. 

Also neferata also notes in lord of undeath that mannfred is such a person who would chase someone to the end of their days if they truly wrong him. 

I do feel after lisnteing to the audio drama and lord of undeath all the main death characters including nagash learned from previous mistakes. It took 1k+ years and a world blowing up but it's progress! 

Archived