AoS Cities of Sigmar Battletome 2023 Discussion

I was considering waiting for deals on eBay, and I've seen some that were 15% off or so, but wanted to throw my FLGS a bone on this army....and with their rewards programs I got $20 off.   The Stanks I got 1 there, but the others elsewhere, though they weren't at much of a discount...but figured the prices would go up when stuff gets rereleased with new packaging (which might be why the Anvilguard is out of stock online amongst other boxes, and I guess Anvilguard isn't even in the book now).

6 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

Anyone thought of using two Castelite battalions with living city to prop up two gun lines on a different side of the table to create pressure from two directions?

The big problem with doing two gunlines is that the Alchemite spell will only affect one of them if you separate them too far. If you get them close together, you can give mortals on 6s to two units since it's an aura spell.

But it might be interesting to consider the other shooting units in this scenario. Maybe this is where Irondrakes can actually pull their weigth?

the problem with castellite battallion is that need bring the ogre that is useless and the canon that is very bad also.

the irondrakes if come with living city do only 1 shoot so they continue being umplayables,nothing can save irondrakes if they dont rewritte the scroll or cost 110.

also why bring melle units with living city at charge 9" when elfs move 9"(6+3" order) so they gonna be at 9" charge turn one without deep strike.

if you want do two presure points i would say the best option is one with the 30 fusilers and buffs and the other with one unit of melles(hammerers,executioners,corsairs combo etc)

36 minutes ago, LiftForSwift said:

Hi, guys I haven't been able get a clear answer on this so help me out. A 2K list has 6 hero slots. Galen and Doralia are taken as a pair, but are a single unit... or are they? If I take Galen and Doralia, do I have 5 hero slots remaining or 4?

It takes up two Leader slots - if you look at the pitched battle profiles, it says that each model is a Leader. You have four slots remaining.

Compare with Hexbane's Hunters which are also two units taken as a set, but they only say Leader once in the battlefield role column, meaning one is a leader and one is a troop.

• Thanks 1

I had a 1.2k PtG Game at Friday VS Skaven.

Normal hero limits don’t apply to our PtG games.

My List: 

Warforger

Marshal & Envoy (+1 to hit and wound CT, 4+ no flee brazier)

Hurricanum with battle mage

Sorceress

Black Ark Fleetmaster

20 (19 left) Fusiliers

20 Corsairs

10 Dreadspears

He played:

3 Stormfiends

Super Warlock with rocket

A Drill to deepstrike the Fiends

A Plague Furnace with hero

2x20 Clan Rats

3 Jezzails

Doomwheel

I won on points but almost got wiped.

Fusiliers: Went into position (fully buffed with MWs) and unloaded a volley into the Plague Thing, not killing it at all (8 MWs and 12 more wounds of which he took 8 total…)

They returned fire on deepstriking Stormfiends which wiffed their shooting and killed 2 of 3.

They unleashed hell at the 42“ movement Doonwhell which attacked the Hurricanum and killed it.

Then the Fusiliers were wiped by MW spamming prayers snd 20 Clan Rats.

Corsairs: Meh, were heavily decimated by shooting, I couldn’t get the No Armour Spell off and they didn’t even kill clan rats. They‘ll be screens from now on.

Heroes: Lost my Sorceress and my Marshal to the troglodyte 2+ D3+4 MW attack profile nonsense (got double turned)

Hurricanum: Really good. We rolled just for fun in the last turn if his furnace would be oneshot (he won priority and retreated) and I rolled 11 MWs xD (5xD3) and would’ve killed it. Over the course if the game it supported well enough (no big damage spikes, mostly finishing off unit remnants)

Commands: I need to plan more ahead, there‘s tech there as well as pressuring you opponent by not revealing a possibly useless command to make them sweat.

rant start

I didn’t play very well and brought too few screens, I also assumed I might kill the Furnace, which is almost impossible. That said I hate playing against Skaven and I just want fights with them to be over, so I just resign while rolling my eyes (quit the game for 6 months after playing against Skaven a while back)- to me they are the Incarnation of not having fun. Everything feels overtuned and the mortal wound spam makes me want to flip the table, they’re just the worst to me (they also shot me off the table twice in turn one, FUN). Luckily their PtG rules are utterly broken (clan rats getting -3 rend and D3 damage on 6s to hit as a veteran ability. They get a territory to deepstrike within 7“… I might just quit this campaign at this point)

rant end

0EFD1412-662C-4AA2-8ACA-BEBB7626932F.jpeg

6601EE20-6692-4E41-8151-0C8556473A5F.jpeg

A606EFCB-3659-45D9-8238-A7020E555F7C.jpeg

2DE9607E-2B21-475A-8759-03B7B0BEF93D.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What’s sad is without all those mortal wounds Skaven would underperform.  It sounds like you had a really bad streak of luck.  A double turn and flubbing a bunch of roles sounds like how my games have gone.  
don’t give up because they MW you off the table look at it as a chance for vengeance.  Back in WFB I played Skaven and I lost 90% of the time because of horde units of lothern seaguard and my abysmal luck so don’t think Skaven are always winning hahah.  
I know everyone says the artillery sucks but that or a suicide griffin Druid might be able to take out the furnace 

• Thanks 1

what you guys gonna do with the marshal? 

my club dont mind the weapon setup,so even if i gonna play him with ranged weapons allways i wont build him with pistols.

but betwen helm or not helm,shield or not shield etc i dont know,i like every option visual and seems is imposible to magnetice because the cape must be glued above the arms bits

14 minutes ago, Doko said:

my club dont mind the weapon setup,so even if i gonna play him with ranged weapons allways i wont build him with pistols.

but betwen helm or not helm,shield or not shield etc i dont know,i like every option visual and seems is imposible to magnetice because the cape must be glued above the arms bits

Building: Rule of cool.

in my experience things are going downhill if he has to fight. So pistols make the most sense.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Doko said:

Most of the time I build my guys in a way that fits none of the official options, just as a way to get out of the WYSIWYG trap. Probably building this guy with a sword and pistol.

I also plan to get a Lord-Solar mini and kitbash a Marshall on (mechanical) Steed with the leftover Marshal and Cavalier bits from the box.

I'm only making the Cavalry Marshal, and he's the old metal Mechanical Steed Engineer.  Maybe a big old wrench can be his weapon?

Opened the first of my many Dark Elves boxes....gonna make 20 Executioners to start, and then later do 20 Black Guard assuming the heads and arms fit nicely onto the Dreadspear bodies at the POBox (10 of those are for spell sacrificing).  Should I do a unit of 20 Executioners or make 2 chamipions for 2 units of 10?  

1 hour ago, Gorthor21 said:

I’m really hoping they have the helmet the head option as the cover art for the book looks too cool

IMG_2595.jpeg

yes he have a version with helm as the picture,then other option with helm on the hand,shield of left hand or rigth hand,one hand sword or one big hammer

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm only making the Cavalry Marshal, and he's the old metal Mechanical Steed Engineer.  Maybe a big old wrench can be his weapon?

Opened the first of my many Dark Elves boxes....gonna make 20 Executioners to start, and then later do 20 Black Guard assuming the heads and arms fit nicely onto the Dreadspear bodies at the POBox (10 of those are for spell sacrificing).  Should I do a unit of 20 Executioners or make 2 chamipions for 2 units of 10?  

i allways build one comand group each msu unit,if i play with one unit of 20 or 30 i only tell to the enemy that the real comand group is in the front and the others in the back are the fakes.

i even did many leaders in the same group,as my ironbreakers i used double pistoll with the leader and used the shield and axe of the other option of leader with a regular ironbreaker because are more cool

22 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

It takes up two Leader slots - if you look at the pitched battle profiles, it says that each model is a Leader. You have four slots remaining.

Compare with Hexbane's Hunters which are also two units taken as a set, but they only say Leader once in the battlefield role column, meaning one is a leader and one is a troop.

That kinda hurts, if I wanted to do a Witch hunter themed army, if I took the Ven Densts and Hexbanes that leaves me with only 3 hero slots. Thanks for the clarification though!

23 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I had a 1.2k PtG Game at Friday VS Skaven.

Normal hero limits don’t apply to our PtG games.

My List: 

Warforger

Marshal & Envoy (+1 to hit and wound CT, 4+ no flee brazier)

Hurricanum with battle mage

Sorceress

Black Ark Fleetmaster

20 (19 left) Fusiliers

20 Corsairs

10 Dreadspears

He played:

3 Stormfiends

Super Warlock with rocket

A Drill to deepstrike the Fiends

A Plague Furnace with hero

2x20 Clan Rats

3 Jezzails

Doomwheel

I won on points but almost got wiped.

Fusiliers: Went into position (fully buffed with MWs) and unloaded a volley into the Plague Thing, not killing it at all (8 MWs and 12 more wounds of which he took 8 total…)

They returned fire on deepstriking Stormfiends which wiffed their shooting and killed 2 of 3.

They unleashed hell at the 42“ movement Doonwhell which attacked the Hurricanum and killed it.

Then the Fusiliers were wiped by MW spamming prayers snd 20 Clan Rats.

Corsairs: Meh, were heavily decimated by shooting, I couldn’t get the No Armour Spell off and they didn’t even kill clan rats. They‘ll be screens from now on.

Heroes: Lost my Sorceress and my Marshal to the troglodyte 2+ D3+4 MW attack profile nonsense (got double turned)

Hurricanum: Really good. We rolled just for fun in the last turn if his furnace would be oneshot (he won priority and retreated) and I rolled 11 MWs xD (5xD3) and would’ve killed it. Over the course if the game it supported well enough (no big damage spikes, mostly finishing off unit remnants)

Commands: I need to plan more ahead, there‘s tech there as well as pressuring you opponent by not revealing a possibly useless command to make them sweat.

rant start

I didn’t play very well and brought too few screens, I also assumed I might kill the Furnace, which is almost impossible. That said I hate playing against Skaven and I just want fights with them to be over, so I just resign while rolling my eyes (quit the game for 6 months after playing against Skaven a while back)- to me they are the Incarnation of not having fun. Everything feels overtuned and the mortal wound spam makes me want to flip the table, they’re just the worst to me (they also shot me off the table twice in turn one, FUN). Luckily their PtG rules are utterly broken (clan rats getting -3 rend and D3 damage on 6s to hit as a veteran ability. They get a territory to deepstrike within 7“… I might just quit this campaign at this point)

rant end

0EFD1412-662C-4AA2-8ACA-BEBB7626932F.jpeg

6601EE20-6692-4E41-8151-0C8556473A5F.jpeg

A606EFCB-3659-45D9-8238-A7020E555F7C.jpeg

2DE9607E-2B21-475A-8759-03B7B0BEF93D.jpeg

Yeah the plague priest is pretty tough.

although his biggest weakness is the fact ruat he can’t move if he has no bodies near him to push his infernal construction.

Stormfiends on the other.

man I do not like to say this, but gw just please give them an overcharge function, so they can kill their own units as well.

23 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

What’s sad is without all those mortal wounds Skaven would underperform.  It sounds like you had a really bad streak of luck.  A double turn and flubbing a bunch of roles sounds like how my games have gone.  
don’t give up because they MW you off the table look at it as a chance for vengeance.  Back in WFB I played Skaven and I lost 90% of the time because of horde units of lothern seaguard and my abysmal luck so don’t think Skaven are always winning hahah.  
I know everyone says the artillery sucks but that or a suicide griffin Druid might be able to take out the furnace 

Well if it makes both of you happy, skaven are currently the worst performing army in the meta.

So I wouldn't worry to much😂

now with that said, I do hope they start buffing units like the weapon teams

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1