AoS 3 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Neil Arthur Hotep

4 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

The problem with Grashnaky Despoilers as well as generic Ungors is that both of these units can be fielded in a Nurgle army, meaning these units could lead to false assumptions regarding their rules.

That is a good point, but I play with a very small number of players and am not planning on playing at a tournament.  However for those that do you are right.

• 4 weeks later...

For those worried about duplicate models, worth saying that every model in the Creed except the wither-lord can be built 2 different ways.  So a unit of 20 only has 2 identical models (Wither-lords).  So unless you planning on playing loooooads of them, shouldn't be a problem.

Also, in case anyone didn't notice, they did a stealth nerf of Rotmeer creed, the concoctions ability can now only effect any unit once per phase.  Quite a bit nerf really, but they are still a rock solid unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently on a roll with the following Maggotkin of Nurgle list:

Battle Regiment 

Great Unclean One, Bilesword + Flail, Nurgling Infestation, Witherstave, Fleshy Abbundance - General

Rotbringer Sorcerer, Gift of Disease

Spoilpox Scrivener

5x Blightkings

5x Blightkings

Bounty Hunters

20x Plaguebearers

2x Pusgoyle Blighlords 

2x Pusgoyle Blightlords

All from the Blessed Sons Contagium. Spread Rampant Disease Grand Strategy. 

So far I have played the following missions, The Lurkers Below, Won't Back Down and The Realmstone Cache from GH 2022/23. I have won all three battles though the victory point difference was minimal. 

I have managed to grind two lists of Stormcasts to dust and one list of Seraphon which was heavy with Saurus Warriors. All in all, I find this list performing well though the last game my Grand Strategy was denied because the Stormcast priest healed himself and ran far away from my units therefore I could not apply the Disease on it. 

I am considering to switch the Witherstave to a Tome of a Thousand Poxes for my Spoilpox Scrivener and thus give my Sorcerer the Plague Squall spell just for such cases.

I have yet to fight a mission with more objectives than 4 and I am worried that this is where my Maggotkin will have the most problems against other armies which move faster. 

As for my summons I go for Sloppity Bilepiper as my first summon for the 6s to mortal wounds for my Plaguebearers and then I follow with two Nurgling Swarms, specifically because I need to either hold the objectives in my deployment zone or to contest middle objectives. I struggle capturing the objectives which are in my opponent's deployment zone. I am also at loss which Battle Tactic to pick each turn. Most require movement and the Maggotkin simply cannot move fast enough to complete them. 

Any advice how to improve this list. Any tips on how to improve the gameplay of this list?

I am eager to listen to Grandfather's whispers. 

Edited by Tenebris

6 hours ago, Tenebris said:

Any advice how to improve this list. Any tips on how to improve the gameplay of this list?

I am eager to listen to Grandfather's whispers. 

Thanks for your report. I can´t give you any advice because I regularly field different units. One thing though: maybe you should run the 20 Plaguebearers in 2 units of 10 each. That way you can screen a larger portion of the field, can contest more objectives, the whole 20 men don´t get killed in one go by bounty hunters,...

I can´t see a reason to field Plaguebearers in larger units than 10.

How many points is that list exactly?

One question: Why a Scrivener? Whenever I read that warscroll I wonder what the job of that model ist.

This army list is exactly 2000 points. 

I opted to field 20 plaguebearers in a single unit for efficiency and so far they have not disappointed. With Fleshy Abbundance that is 60 wounds to chew through, can reliably tank almost anything that is thrown against them and if you add either Mystic Shield or the +1 Armour Save from the Scrivener, they can tank that much better. I also find them working well with the +1 attack from the Scrivener (which means a lot of attacks due to Veterans) and from turn 2 onward when I have the access to the Sloppity, these attacks have also the potential to inflict mortal wounds. This unit reliably killed 10 Vindictors and following up 10 Sequitors and was even able o hold its own against a Carnosaur and Stegadon charge supported with Bounty Hunters Saurus Knights. It is just a brick which refuses to die and you can throw it against everything and lock it in combat for a few turns. 

The reason why I start with the Scrivener is because it has the two key buffs to make the brick above work that much better. If I expect a lot of melee damage I opt for the +1 Armour Save, if I have to grind down an unit, I have the option for +1 attack. Considering that my Plaguebearers are Bounty Hunters, that is good damage. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 9:29 PM, Tenebris said:

I opted to field 20 plaguebearers in a single unit for efficiency and so far they have not disappointed. With Fleshy Abbundance that is 60 wounds to chew through, can reliably tank almost anything that is thrown against them and if you add either Mystic Shield or the +1 Armour Save from the Scrivener, they can tank that much better. I also find them working well with the +1 attack from the Scrivener (which means a lot of attacks due to Veterans) and from turn 2 onward when I have the access to the Sloppity, these attacks have also the potential to inflict mortal wounds. This unit reliably killed 10 Vindictors and following up 10 Sequitors and was even able o hold its own against a Carnosaur and Stegadon charge supported with Bounty Hunters Saurus Knights. It is just a brick which refuses to die and you can throw it against everything and lock it in combat for a few turns. 

The reason why I start with the Scrivener is because it has the two key buffs to make the brick above work that much better. If I expect a lot of melee damage I opt for the +1 Armour Save, if I have to grind down an unit, I have the option for +1 attack. Considering that my Plaguebearers are Bounty Hunters, that is good damage. 

Well, you're the second person who tells me that a 20 men block of Plaguebearers is of any use. 

10 men squads do nothing for me but slowly dying. And on the paper they do not seem to do anything more than just dy even slower. 

20 Plaguebearers plus Scrivener is 420 points, which is a lot of points spent in something that looks mediocre at best. 

Nevertheless I think I have to try it because I really like Plaguebearers (modelwise — I own around 70 of them). 

10 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Well, you're the second person who tells me that a 20 men block of Plaguebearers is of any use. 

10 men squads do nothing for me but slowly dying. And on the paper they do not seem to do anything more than just dy even slower. 

20 Plaguebearers plus Scrivener is 420 points, which is a lot of points spent in something that looks mediocre at best. 

Nevertheless I think I have to try it because I really like Plaguebearers (modelwise — I own around 70 of them). 

Dying slowly can be a useful thing though, provided it is slowly enough. You don't need to kill that much to win a game if you just trade favorably in the right places. I haven't played against Maggotkin much (not many players of it in my local area), but I've heard horror stories of objectives bogged down for impossibly long by big plaguebearer blocks, so I'd definitely give it a try if you already have the models.

I like the bell and blade personally, but I might be a bit biased because that's the way mine is built haha. I usually play befouling host so the extra summoning point is helpful to stack with the extra tree. I usually put the nurgling infestation on him for the -1 to hit and just have him clog up the board. If you weren't running befouling host then I could totally see the sword and flail to max the combat potential, but really it isn't doing a ton of damage anyway. If I wanted a beatstick I think I'd just take a maggoth lord and a unit of blight kings instead.

14 hours ago, Percivael said:

This Nurgle list started out as a silly idea, and probably should have remained as such. I don’t know though. Is it enough for a Nurgle army to simply endure and grind and spread disease?

A092D740-CFF7-48FE-8C37-BD580F825A49.jpeg

IMO you can quite easily enhance this list without loosing the theme:

I absolutely love Lord of Blights in conjunction with Blight kings. He gives them a good shooting attack. Give him the overpowering stench to mess with your opponents command abilities. 

Gutrot Spume is able to deepstrike with up to 2 mortal units. 

Honestly I can see no reason to field a Poxbringer. A Bilepiper with its "no pile in" song offers much more utility. 

I think 20 Plaguebearers per unit should be enough. You can support them by a Bilepiper or a Scrivener. If you chose a Scrivener you should have a look at the Arcane Tome universal artifact. That way you can cast the +1 wounds spell at them as well as giving them +1 to their save. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, a short Question regarding Horticulous Slimux:

He can plant an additional Nurgle Tree at the beginning of my hero phase.

Gaining Contagion Points also happens at the start of the hero phase.

Am I right, that the Maggotkin player (who ist the active player in his own hero phase) decides, which of these happens first? Ie I first plant the additional tree, then I gain the contagion point out of that tree?

if tht´s the case, I can get 7 contagion points with ease in the first turn:

Befouling Host, Horticulous Slimux => overall 3 trees => 3 contagion points

being in my territory and no foe in my territory => 4 contagion points.

Is that right?

On 2/21/2023 at 12:32 PM, Hannibal said:

Hi, a short Question regarding Horticulous Slimux:

He can plant an additional Nurgle Tree at the beginning of my hero phase.

Gaining Contagion Points also happens at the start of the hero phase.

Am I right, that the Maggotkin player (who ist the active player in his own hero phase) decides, which of these happens first? Ie I first plant the additional tree, then I gain the contagion point out of that tree?

if tht´s the case, I can get 7 contagion points with ease in the first turn:

Befouling Host, Horticulous Slimux => overall 3 trees => 3 contagion points

being in my territory and no foe in my territory => 4 contagion points.

Is that right?

As far as I know yes, that's the correct way to play it according to section 1.6.2 in the rules. I usually run befouling host and having a semi-guaranteed sloppity bilepiper turn 1 has been huge in the majority of my games. Being able to toss him pretty much anywhere he's needed to shut down pile ins or to get that little extra punch of damage is a really big deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

some questions:

Nurglings are set up within 3" of a terrain feature if you use their "deepstrike" ability.

1) Does a Feculant Gnarlmaw count as a terrain feature regarding this rule?

2) "wthin 3" of a terrain feature" means, that only one modell of the unit has to be within 3". Is that right?

If that is right: Let´s say I also have Horticulous Slimux in my army. I can then  place the additional Feculent Gnarlmaw in my hero phase within 7" of Hotziculous, then at the end of my movement phase I can set up the Nurglings within 3" of that Feculent Gnarlmaw, meaning I can bridge a distance of nearly 7" (Feculent Gnarlmaw placement) + 4" (base of Gnarlmaw) +3" (Nurglings placement) + 1,5" (Nurgling bases) = 16,5 inches.

Is that right?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I honestly could not care less.

The original was an insane sculpt at its time and still looked great today, even though it did not really fit the new aesthetics of AoS Nurgle. 

And this is a proper update.

10/10 will buy.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, Jazzbeaux said:

Image2

So we have an amazing new Harbinger coming, with hopefully improved rules.   I wonder what those might be, maybe a Priest?  Or perhaps a boost to spreading Disease Points with a larger range?

Those boxe names felt confusing, is it a named character with an alternative generic build ?

4 hours ago, Enry said:

Those boxe names felt confusing, is it a named character with an alternative generic build ?

All of the regiments of renown have featured generic characters but the implication is that when you're fielding the regiment, that generic character is the "named" one.

So it'll be a generic Harbinger with maybe some alternate build options but nothing for an actual by-god character per se. Just when you're fielding the regiment, said Harbinger will be treated as the named character mentioned in the regiment fluff.

- Army Faction: Maggotkin of Nurgle
     - Subfaction: Blessed Sons
LEADERS
Lord of Plagues (140)
Harbinger of Decay (140)
Bloab Rotspawned (320)
Orghotts Daemonspew (320)
BATTLELINE
Putrid Blightkings (250)
Putrid Blightkings (250)
Plaguebearers (150)
Rotmire Creed (130)
OTHER
Pusgoyle Blightlords (250)
TOTAL POINTS: 1950/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Or instead of Maggot lords I could introduce The Glottkin. I'm new to Nurgle. What do you think about the list?

Hey guys, 

I got myself 3 beasts of nurgles for a Befouling host list with Slimux. Question is, do I run them as a 3man blob or all individual but beside Slimux?

They dont really need all out attack because of him anyway and he gives reroll charges. 

Just worried that as a 3man unit they may potentially get nuked hard by a hammer whereas 3x1 means its harder to murder all at once.

I aint fussed about drops. Thoughts?

I'm new to this game. Was going to build a 1k list for a slow growth league at my local gamestore. I watched a couple batreps and read the core and army rules. Can anyone provide feedback and help me?

Allegiance: Maggotkin of Nurgle
 - Subfaction: Drowned Men
 - Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
 - Triumphs: 
LEADERS
Lord of Afflictions (230)
- General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench 
- Artefact: The Splithorn Helm 
UNITS
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (250)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (250)
10 x Plaguebearers (150)
3 x Nurglings (100)

the flies are damage dealers. The deamons cap objectives and score battle tactics.