AoS 3 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Neil Arthur Hotep

3 hours ago, Drujeful said:

Are you talking about the free daemons thing, or is there another Path to Glory issue? Because I was really hoping for some clarification on free daemons, where they aren't included in the Order of Battle and whether or not you have to count their points toward your army. It's the word "free" that throws it off.

No thats not it. To put it correct I was hopping for two things to be clarified.

1. Excess Contagion Points: Say I have 10 Contagion Points and I summon 3 Nurglings thus spending 8 CP. What happens to the rest?

2. Bringing on the Rot (p. 76). Am I suppose to summon all the cessnode swapping Gnarlmaws following all the rules of summoning ?(spending CP, within 7” of a hero/tree etc.) or is this some special rule that just allows for a bunch of free Gnarlmaws?

Edited by Greasygeek

Has anyone use Rot Covens much yet?

In theory they look great, discounted caster and whopping +3 to cast/unbind.  But every time I make a list with them I end up wanting to add arcane tomb, spell portal, extra spell enhancement etc. to get the most of them, suddenly the cheap hero choice is eating up lots of resources. 

Sure Spell Portal+ Rancid visitations will RUIN some armies but all the spell feel relatively situational, so I'm not sure how good them are in an 'all comers' list.

I want to highlight something I learned the other day: Take Blightkings and Pusgoyles as reinforced units!

Let me elaborate:
When I took BKs as 5 men units and PGBLs as 2 men units they were fine but never a real threat. These small units work well to block enemies but they simply don't push enough damage. I would charge something, do a bit of damage and then lose a Fly or one or two BKs. This crippled the units so much that they were no threat at all anymore.

So yesterday I decided to take a bigger unit of 4 PGBLs with a LoA (Overpowering Stench ofc) and a big block of 10 BKs. Yes, the 10 BKs obviously suffer from 1" range and coherency. But they are much better at contesting objectives, especially if buffed with Fleshy Abundance so that they count as 2 models each. More models also synergieses better with Relentless Killers.

And the PGBLs are soooo much better with 4 guys! They got charged by 6 Hammernators and I only lost 1 Fly and one down to 1 wound. This left me with 3 Flies which was enough to punch back. 

I highly recommend you try running one or two bigger units to see the difference it makes in terms of damage output. This gave me the ability to actually threaten flanks and push enough damage to delete a unit on the charge instead of grinding them down slowly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Causalis said:

I want to highlight something I learned the other day: Take Blightkings and Pusgoyles as reinforced units!

Let me elaborate:
When I took BKs as 5 men units and PGBLs as 2 men units they were fine but never a real threat. These small units work well to block enemies but they simply don't push enough damage. I would charge something, do a bit of damage and then lose a Fly or one or two BKs. This crippled the units so much that they were no threat at all anymore.

So yesterday I decided to take a bigger unit of 4 PGBLs with a LoA (Overpowering Stench ofc) and a big block of 10 BKs. Yes, the 10 BKs obviously suffer from 1" range and coherency. But they are much better at contesting objectives, especially if buffed with Fleshy Abundance so that they count as 2 models each. More models also synergieses better with Relentless Killers.

And the PGBLs are soooo much better with 4 guys! They got charged by 6 Hammernators and I only lost 1 Fly and one down to 1 wound. This left me with 3 Flies which was enough to punch back. 

I highly recommend you try running one or two bigger units to see the difference it makes in terms of damage output. This gave me the ability to actually threaten flanks and push enough damage to delete a unit on the charge instead of grinding them down slowly.

I am encouraging this too. When playing groups of 2 PGBL i seem to lack a reasonable hammer and this could be a good solution.

Maybe someone could post a link to the nurgle disord for anyone who is interested to this new thread?

On 1/25/2022 at 7:09 PM, Greasygeek said:

No thats not it. To put it correct I was hopping for two things to be clarified.

1. Excess Contagion Points: Say I have 10 Contagion Points and I summon 3 Nurglings thus spending 8 CP. What happens to the rest?

2. Bringing on the Rot (p. 76). Am I suppose to summon all the cessnode swapping Gnarlmaws following all the rules of summoning ?(spending CP, within 7” of a hero/tree etc.) or is this some special rule that just allows for a bunch of free Gnarlmaws?

Good news it’s not like the silly angry god if we have 10 and use 8 contagion then we carry the 2 over!

it’s path to glory so narrative brah you can just swap them in if your playing as the gardener 👍👍

• Thanks 1

Army Faction: Maggotkin of Nurgle
 - Army Subfaction: Befouling Host
 - Grand Strategy: Beast Master
 - Triumps: Beast Master

LEADER

Great Unclean One (495)
 - General
 - Command Traits: Nurgling Infestation
 - Doomsday Bell and Plague Flail
 - Artefacts: The Witherstave
 - Spells: Fleshy Abundance

Rotigus (495)

Horticulous Slimux (225)

BATTLELINE

1 x Plaguebearers (300)

Beasts of Nurgle (110)

Beasts of Nurgle (110)

TERRAIN

Feculent Gnarlmaw (0)

OTHER

Nurglings (105)

TOTAL POINTS: (1840/2000)

Planning on playing this against Sylvaneth soon (last game got cancelled because of corona...so at least it was a win for papa nurgle i guess).

List is all about summoning. 3 trees from the beginning plus the bell and Nurglings in enemies territory should be a lot of points. Planing on summoning a bilepiper in the first round and then a beast/Nurglings/Plaguebearers each turn.

Not shure what to do with the last 160p. 10 Plaguebearers? Beats of Nurgle?

I really want Rotigus to work, so i am trying him out, but i am not really optimistic. Often find my Nurgle lists lacking of some real punch.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

LEADER

Great Unclean One (495)
 - General

Rotigus (495)

Horticulous Slimux (225)

BATTLELINE

1 x Plaguebearers (300)

Beasts of Nurgle (110)

Beasts of Nurgle (110)

TERRAIN

Feculent Gnarlmaw (0)

OTHER

Nurglings (105)

Planning on playing this against Sylvaneth soon (last game got cancelled because of corona...so at least it was a win for papa nurgle i guess).

List is all about summoning. 3 trees from the beginning plus the bell and Nurglings in enemies territory should be a lot of points. Planing on summoning a bilepiper in the first round and then a beast/Nurglings/Plaguebearers each turn.

I really want Rotigus to work, so i am trying him out, but i am not really optimistic. Often find my Nurgle lists lacking of some real punch.

I did this exact list recently except I started with the Bilepiper on the table and saved up my contagion points toward summoning another GUO (or more plaguebearers is the backup choice). Rotigus is great. He can go off on his own. He's beefier than a regular GUO, will put out more damage in combat than the other GUO in your list, and will put out a fair number of actual mortal wounds (not just disease tokens). The whole list performed well and Slimux gallivanting around with a couple Beasts is great fun. If you don't want to start with the Bilepiper for some reason, I would throw in another Beast or another 10 Plaguebearers. I think it's fun to consider single heroes as well--Epidemius? Festus? Some interesting choices, especially since Festus brings another Locus of Fecundity with him and could get some disease tokens rolling battle round 1 with Gift of Disease before moving on to Curse of the Leechlord when you get a little closer. More Plaguebearers are going to give you better board control and are probably the best conservative choice.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, Archibald said:

LEADER

Great Unclean One (495)
 - General

Rotigus (495)

Horticulous Slimux (225)

BATTLELINE

1 x Plaguebearers (300)

Beasts of Nurgle (110)

Beasts of Nurgle (110)

TERRAIN

Feculent Gnarlmaw (0)

OTHER

Nurglings (105)

The app is now updated to show Rotigus as D3 MWs which means hes 100% shelved for me. Too many hoops you have to jump through in order to "maybe" get noticable MW damage. His profile is worse than a normal GUO so his warscroll spell is literally all he brings. 

I dont think Slimux is worth bringing for just 1 extra summoning pt a turn alone. You need to use his hit and charge buffs to Beasts but 2 is simply not enough IMO. 

If you swap Rotigus +Slimux for either Bloab + Orghotths + 1 Beast of Nurgle the list becomes undeliably better IMO. 

On 1/26/2022 at 1:49 PM, Magnus The Blue said:

Has anyone use Rot Covens much yet?

In theory they look great, discounted caster and whopping +3 to cast/unbind.  But every time I make a list with them I end up wanting to add arcane tomb, spell portal, extra spell enhancement etc. to get the most of them, suddenly the cheap hero choice is eating up lots of resources. 

Sure Spell Portal+ Rancid visitations will RUIN some armies but all the spell feel relatively situational, so I'm not sure how good them are in an 'all comers' list.

I think aiming for Horrorghast/Shards of Valagharr is much better with the Rot Coven. Rancid is great in very few situations but in your average game you are not gonna benefit from the spell, plus you are forced into Spellportal for it to ever go off. You generally want long range reach with them to prevent them from dying to any shooting whatsoever. 

The issue is that your average club game or tournament wont have great line of sight blocking terrain so the little dudes are probably fairly ****** due to all the long range shooting that is in the current meta. If you play with loads of terrain or in a meta without longstrikes/bowsnakes/dinos/sentinels etc. etc., then they can probably perform pretty good. 

24 minutes ago, Kasper said:

The app is now updated to show Rotigus as D3 MWs which means hes 100% shelved for me. Too many hoops you have to jump through in order to "maybe" get noticable MW damage. His profile is worse than a normal GUO so his warscroll spell is literally all he brings. 

I dont think Slimux is worth bringing for just 1 extra summoning pt a turn alone. You need to use his hit and charge buffs to Beasts but 2 is simply not enough IMO. 

If you swap Rotigus +Slimux for either Bloab + Orghotths + 1 Beast of Nurgle the list becomes undeliably better IMO. 

See.... I view people seeing Rotigus's spell as a flat 3 damage from the App as wishful thinking lol, the App is meant as reference material, not gospel 😆

2 hours ago, TaurielBlack said:

See.... I view people seeing Rotigus's spell as a flat 3 damage from the App as wishful thinking lol, the App is meant as reference material, not gospel 😆

It was hopium going full ham. To me 3 flat MW was the only thing keeping the model a viable option. It just feels objectively bad/worse than a GUO now. 

Edited by Kasper

My first list is going with mortals.  I plan to do the Glottkin, Festus, Lord of Blights, 3 units Blight Kings, and 1 unit Pusgoyles.  For summoning, I plan on getting Nurglings or a unit of Plague Bearers to hold objectives.  

For a Befouling Host, I would go with: GUO, Horticulux, Poxbringer, 20 Plague Bearers, and the rest beasts of nurgle.  I've seen a number of people underestimate the beasts.  They deal MWs on the charge and when they break off and charge the next unit.  They have a fair share of attacks so they can stack up disease tokens.  Also if you get toads, they are cheaper from FW than actual beasts and are the same size!

• Like 2

I Like the PusgoyleMen so much and because all most everyOne i played against is at the MetaGames i will take this List:

Allegiance: Maggotkin of Nurgle
- Subfaction: Drowned Men
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

Leaders
Bloab Rotspawned (300)*
-
Lore of Malignance: Plague Squall
Lord of Afflictions (210)*
-
General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Disease
Plague Priest (85)*
-
Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal

Battleline
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (440)*
-
Reinforced x 1
-
Reinforced x 1
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)*

Units
10 x Plague Monks (85)*
-
Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132
Drops: 1

What do u think ? I Do the Mathhammer, i Kill 1,5 Gargants per Round, 1 Kille 4,5 Dragons per Round, or something like 60-70 Zombies. Is this okay ?! Enough ?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ibel said:

I Like the PusgoyleMen so much and because all most everyOne i played against is at the MetaGames i will take this List:

Allegiance: Maggotkin of Nurgle
- Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Bloab Rotspawned (300)*
-
Lore of Malignance: Plague Squall
-
General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Disease
Plague Priest (85)*
-
Universal Prayer Scripture: Heal

Battleline
-
Reinforced x 1
-
Reinforced x 1

Units
10 x Plague Monks (85)*
-
Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132
Drops: 1

What do u think ? I Do the Mathhammer, i Kill 1,5 Gargants per Round, 1 Kille 4,5 Dragons per Round, or something like 60-70 Zombies. Is this okay ?! Enough ?!

Why the Plague Monks etc? Feels kinda odd to me since theres no synergy with the rest of your list. Might as well run Untamed Beasts which gives a pregame move. 

How are people feeling about the Exalted Greater Daemon of Nurgle? 50 less points than a regular GUO, kept the additional d3 heal, and kept the old plague wind. I still don't think its super amazing as maggoth lords are better (and the regular GUO has a bunch more damage), but I think its worth looking at since it is less points than a regular GUO.

Edited by IRRecio

8 hours ago, IRRecio said:

How are people feeling about the Exalted Greater Daemon of Nurgle? 50 less points than a regular GUO, kept the additional d3 heal, and kept the old plague wind. I still don't think its super amazing as maggoth lords are better (and the regular GUO has a bunch more damage), but I think its worth looking at since it is less points than a regular GUO.

I would personally use it as a regular Great Unclean One. I always take lore into consideration when making an army and it would constantly bother me that an "Exalted" Great Unclean One would cost less points and would be weaker than a regular Unclean One (who naturally would strive to become "Exalted" himself) 😅

The Games Workshop team in charge of updating the Forgeworld AoS warscrolls has really missed the ball.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:20 PM, Kasper said:

Why the Plague Monks etc? Feels kinda odd to me since theres no synergy with the rest of your list. Might as well run Untamed Beasts which gives a pregame move

Because i Need something what stands behind, is Nurgle (Fluff) and they are fast PLUS they had the Word Book to make OneTime in the Battel Mortal Dmg in the Herophase (Maybe u Need it when Bloab putshis Spell on something.

But jes i really think of some sort of Kultist Maybe, jes. I will try it.

• Confused 1

Hi Nurgle enthusiasts, I am hesitating to collect this army (mostly demons for the moment), and I am wondering if the gameplay is not too one dimensional. 

I mean does  this army have a lot of tricks and shenanigans, other than a little reserve unit and being tough to kill? 

On 2/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, ibel said:

PLUS they had the Word Book to make

Sry i mean the " Book of Woes"

Jes it is nize, if u can cast Bloabs Spell on a Target (lets say a Gargant) than u can make on a 4+ a Mortal and at the End of the Herophase on a 2+ D3 more Mortals. This could be the of the drops of the Barrel ;)

On 2/5/2022 at 6:23 PM, Bolty said:

Hi Nurgle enthusiasts, I am hesitating to collect this army (mostly demons for the moment), and I am wondering if the gameplay is not too one dimensional. 

I mean does  this army have a lot of tricks and shenanigans, other than a little reserve unit and being tough to kill? 

I mean you could make an arguement that the majority of armies are rather one dimensional. 

You can technically make Nurgle a casting army - Theres Epidemius giving you reroll casts and otherwise Master of Magic generic command trait. Rot Coven gives you a way of getting  up to +3 casting.

You can go Pusgoyles moving 16" turn 1 if you enjoy an alpha playstyle. 

You can go hordes of Plaguebearers if you fancy a lot of bodies on the table.

We have some units like the Glottkin, combat GUO (flail + bilesword + flaming weapon) and Maggoth Lords that do pack a bit of a punch. Pusgoyles and Blightkings arent too bad either with their quantity of attacks.

Pusgoyles/Blightkings gives you a somewhat elite army if you dont want to move 200 models.  

As with everything theres obviously some routes that are more "competitive" than others but I honestly feel like Im constantly writing new lists for this army and they have worked rather well, where as most other armies I quickly fall into a certain path.  

- Army Faction: Maggotkin of Nurgle
     - Triumph: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Orghotts Daemonspew (300)
     - General
     - Command Traits: Overpowering Stench
     - Artefacts of Power: The Splithorn Helm
Gutrot Spume (170)*
BATTLELINE