Using Dispossessed in AoS 3.0

Lord Krungharr

On 2/7/2022 at 10:06 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I think I found the proxy we need to run Dwarvish Stormdrake Guard.....

dwarf batrider.jpg

Wow you gave me an amazing idea. I got a dwarf riding a owl griffon with lance from reaper and he fits stormdrake guard very well.

was really disappointed since he is too small for the general on griffion but this should be fine.

• Like 2

I may need to mix it up as well.....I got a set of those 40k Archaeopter wings for cheap, and I have a gyrobomber.....need some simple claws and little blades for the rotors.  But those wing bits and another gyrobomber kit would make me end up spending more than a Stormdrake kit!  Hmmm, worth it?!?  Might be worth it for fully dwarvish mechancial Stormdrakes.  Meh, guess I can sell my KO stuff.  Anyone want an Ironclad, Gunhauler, and 10 Grundstok Thunderers with the plain rifles?

20 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I may need to mix it up as well.....I got a set of those 40k Archaeopter wings for cheap, and I have a gyrobomber.....need some simple claws and little blades for the rotors.  But those wing bits and another gyrobomber kit would make me end up spending more than a Stormdrake kit!  Hmmm, worth it?!?  Might be worth it for fully dwarvish mechancial Stormdrakes.  Meh, guess I can sell my KO stuff.  Anyone want an Ironclad, Gunhauler, and 10 Grundstok Thunderers with the plain rifles?

I definitely love the AdMach wings for Ironweld stuff in Cities. I made this guy a while ago, maybe it will give you some inspiration for what to do with yours:

y7esndnwa5h51.jpg.38b53b6be0f790b63718eb84a247940c.jpg

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 2/17/2022 at 1:32 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Awesome!  That looks fantastic.  I have ordered my second set of wings and another gyrobomber kit; I have 2 Gyrocopters but the Bombers have that extra rear which is needed to accomodate those bigger wings.

I'm excited now, this will be a ridiculous project :D

Where do you get those wings from? My usual go to for parts is Bitzbox but can't find them there.

Edit: Found them! Listed as Adeptus Mechanicus Pteraxii Skystalkers Jump Pack.

Edited by EntMan

I got mine off of various eBay bitz sellers but really should have checked a couple other websites.  Though usually they sell on both venues.  Getting my 20 Ironbreakers assembled this weekend, using 3D printed bodies I designed on the computer.  The Irondrakes kit is so loaded with bits, shame to not use them!

If anyone needs Duardin bodies and has access to a decent 3D printer (sometimes libraries have them), here's a link to the Thingiverse page where I put them. 

Warhammer Age of Sigmar Dwarf Ironbreaker bodies x20 by CarvedMetal - Thingiverse

Takes a slight hobby-knife trimming in the collar area but the beards have plenty of surface area for superglue to hold them securely, and you can take some green stuff to fill the back of the head gap if any, or a blob of glue/epoxy to fill.  Arms go in pretty well.  

IMG_20220219_135441.jpg

IMG_20220219_135420.jpg

IMG_20220219_135429.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I saw the LVO AoS champ used Living City.  He had 4 Stormdrakes and 4 Fulminators but I've only got 2 of each, and no feeble humies for battleline, so I aim to try this when my Gyro-drakes are ready (the Frostheart makes a great general here despite being an Aelf, very hard to kill and can do some work in combat oftentimes).  

Living Dwarf City v2 snip.JPG

Anyone been using Hammerers lately?  It's the last unit I don't have for the Dispossessed.  They look pretty awesome, that's for sure.  Just wondering if a unit of 10 is viable, or if I need 20.  On the fence mainly because they're so old of a unit and have not been reboxed yet....seems like they could be destined for Legends someday?  GW doesn't like Duardin very much I don't think.

8 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Anyone been using Hammerers lately?  It's the last unit I don't have for the Dispossessed.  They look pretty awesome, that's for sure.  Just wondering if a unit of 10 is viable, or if I need 20.  On the fence mainly because they're so old of a unit and have not been reboxed yet....seems like they could be destined for Legends someday?  GW doesn't like Duardin very much I don't think.

Hammerers are the same box as Longbeards, so not older than them.

GW's ways are inexplicable, but I think they have cut down Disposessed as far as they can before deleting them entirely.

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Units of 20 are nice because you can fight in two ranks due to the 25mm base size. The cool thing is you can get mortals on hit (curse prayer) and mortals on wound (warscroll) and many other buffs like rend and extra attacks. 

haven’t tried them myself yet, but they seem pretty good.

as mentioned before they are the same kit as longbeards so they gave to squat all of dispossessed to get rid of them.

I got the doomcrushers from avatars of war since I really like their poses, looks and found a box of 30 for less than 10 from gw at my local store back in the day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I would not worry about units getting dropped at this point. There is just not much reason for GW to do it. Every kit in Cities is in plastic. They have now all been part of a real battletome, which makes the barrier to remove them higher (older armies that were removed never had a tome). High Elves were only removed because Lumineth were planned, so unless new dwarves are in the works, all Dispossessed kits are safe. And if there are new dwarves in the works, you can probably get a nice proxy  army going.

As far as Hammerers: Their warscroll is perfectly servicable. In a mechanically optimal list, you would probably use Freeguild Greatswords instead, but there is not much of a difference. Both are completely fine.

• Like 1

Good points, gotta love that 25mm base!  Bigger units with double-ranks is something I haven't gotten to use much with previous armies and only recently with my Bonesplitterz Stikkaboys (32mm bases but 2" range).  Still I think Longbeards might be best in units of 10 to better sprinkle around their grumblings?  Or maybe Ironbreakers are better in smaller units as screens?  

Almost nice enough weather to spray-prime things again.  Maybe by July I'll have the Dwarves ready for a big 5-game event.  

As has been mentioned, hammerers come in the same box as longbeards, so unless they go and update the sculpts (HAH) they aren't going to retire the models unless they retire duradin from the cities completely.  Considering the number of people who love the traditional "fantasy dwarf" in heavy armor with a hammer, I don't see this as particularly likely, as the other dwarfs in the game don't really give the same aesthetic.

As for using them, they are currently not in the greatest place.  Don't get me wrong - they are excelent units when it comes to dishing out damage, with potentially the highest damage output per point of any unit in the game (what do I mean?  Going from unbuffed, a 10 man squad will deal ~11 damage on average before saves, but can jump all the way up to ~40 damage before saves if they get all the buffs).  But the problem is that with a 4" move, they aren't dictating engagements, and with a 4+ save, they just aren't tanky enough to get into position.  Finally, they are comparing themselves to Irondrakes, which can be nearly as killy, but do so at 16" instead of at 3", which means they can actually hit priority targets and get their damage in.

I think that we would need to see the meta shift away from the current "power projection" meta and towards something where people are wanting to get up close and personal.  Or at least shift away from the significant amount of shooting currently available.  Because even though a single squad of hammerers can be buffed to the moon, that doesn't matter too much when your opponent just deletes it at range, or worse... just ignores it because it can't actually threaten them.

Thank you so much for the bodies,i allways wanted this to give it any use to my 80 dwarfs bits.a shame that i havent 3d printer and nobody in my city have. But i downloaded it and saved it for any chance arise!

Also i have played many games with hammerers and i love them.

Yes they arent meta top,but together longbeards,wardenking,runelord,hurricanum and tempest eye extra attacks or hallowheart +1 wound i have deleted many armys with a block of 20\30 because enemy allways focus the irondrakes and ignore the hammerers

• Like 1

Have you checked your local library?  Sometimes they have 3D printers and can print stuff for reasonably cheap.  Or you might be able to find someone on Thingiverse to print them for you and mail them, or shoot me a message and I can get them for $1 per body from a guy I know, then just First Class Mail on top

I'm all signed up for a 5game event this July in central Illinois called Midwest Meltdown (in case anyone else might want to do that event), and I'm strongly considering bringing the Dwarf City.  But I'm a bit on the fence about which City and build.  Half of me wants to try to actually compete with this Airforce build (making my gyrocopter drakes currently), but of course the other half would love to bring all actual Dwarves.  I bet nobody would have a pure Dispossessed army!  In that case I'd go Living City to compensate for the 4" movement.

TempestsEyeAirforcev2.JPG

• Like 1

I was thinking about Gyrocopters today, and a pair of them with the Runelord's Forgefire prayer on them for rend-2....that could get pretty good actually vs any units of 10 or more models.  The Copters' speed could easily put them both in range of a whole enemy unit turn 2, or bottom of 1 if the enemy moves carelessly.  Of course not as many armies have super big units anymore, but units of 10 are prevalent, and plenty take in 20s.  Except Sons of Behemat, but they could still zip over their heads and drop bombs probably.  In Tempests Eye near a Hawkeyed General (like a Phoenix perhaps) and All Out Attack, ooh yeah !

On 3/10/2022 at 4:53 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

I was thinking about Gyrocopters today, and a pair of them with the Runelord's Forgefire prayer on them for rend-2....that could get pretty good actually vs any units of 10 or more models.  The Copters' speed could easily put them both in range of a whole enemy unit turn 2, or bottom of 1 if the enemy moves carelessly.  Of course not as many armies have super big units anymore, but units of 10 are prevalent, and plenty take in 20s.  Except Sons of Behemat, but they could still zip over their heads and drop bombs probably.  In Tempests Eye near a Hawkeyed General (like a Phoenix perhaps) and All Out Attack, ooh yeah !

Sadly the runelord doesn’t work the copter or bomber, because they don’t have the dispossessed keyword