Why do 1500 points?

WillofNagash

Why are people doing 1500 lists? Who would play at this level? Your putting yourself in for another battleline and for only 500 points extra? This seems like a bad idea, I would rather play 1000 or 2000 because at least your getting another 1000 points for that extra battleline unit you have to have. Thoughts?

Well the "official" game sizes endorsed are 1000, 2000 and 2500. But there are some good reasons why one might use 1500 instead.

2000 points seems to be the standard game size taking 2-3 hours to play, however when you include setup time and travel, that can be a bit much for gaming club hours, so people want a good size game but maybe taking 2 hours instead of 3.

You suggest that putting yourself in for another Battleline is a bad thing? Many people like playing armies with lots of basic troops so this is a perfect level for that. And actually most factions have access to a cheap Battleline unit so it's probably not noticeable. Three Battleline units for any Grand Alliance can be 240 points, not a lot.

9 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

You suggest that putting yourself in for another Battleline is a bad thing? Many people like playing armies with lots of basic troops so this is a perfect level for that. And actually most factions have access to a cheap Battleline unit so it's probably not noticeable. Three Battleline units for any Grand Alliance can be 240 points, not a lot.

Being required to put another battleline on the table is a bad thing, you could choose to do it anyway, but having to fill a requirement is always limiting.

As for the time allotment and toys on the table, that totally makes sense.

Multiple reasons I imagine. I'm sitting at around 1100 painted Ironjawz at the moment. With another unit, hero, and battalion that's around 1500. It's not optimal but I'd rather play with that in a casual setting than a half built maw-krusha to bump up to 2000.

Being required to put another battleline on the table is a bad thing, you could choose to do it anyway, but having to fill a requirement is always limiting.

I can't really agree with that argument, you can say that for any points level in matched play.

I don't think there is anything bad about Battleline requirements, they're varied enough that the minor restriction is outweighed by the benefit of balance.

7 hours ago, WillofNagash said:

Why are people doing 1500 lists? Who would play at this level? Your putting yourself in for another battleline and for only 500 points extra? This seems like a bad idea, I would rather play 1000 or 2000 because at least your getting another 1000 points for that extra battleline unit you have to have. Thoughts?

Where is it written that at 1500 points you have to play with the 2000 point battle line requirements? Just use the 1000 point levels and allow an extra 500 points, if that's your number one concern.

Don't really see any problem with running any pointage army, the min/max unit type is only for matched play so no reason you can't simply run a pitched battle (i.e. points with no restrictions) or house rule to ignore certain things.  In truth I don't see a major problem with having to take 2 or 3 battleline - I'm running 3 in my 1000 points already and will likely boost that by at least another when I increase to 1200 or more.

I actually quite like playing games with odd points values too , as it means you actually have to put some thought into the army rather than rolling out the same one you did last time - which for some people actually means the army that somebody else wrote and they found online.

15 hours ago, WillofNagash said:

As for the time allotment and toys on the table, that totally makes sense.

This is simply not true. It's a different restriction that makes the game play differently - not worse.

If people want to use that for a tournament they are organising, then good for them. If someone else wants to organise a tournament with no battleline at all or different numbers of battleline, that's fine too.

If people want to organise a tournament where they have to bring 5 HQs each, that would be different and affect the game drastically but you know what, it might also be awesome fun.

In Italy at the First Aos regional tournament in Turin composition is at 1500 with 1000 points limits ,only two battleline. Now the most popular format is 1500 . It seems Like people love a faster game than Warhammer fantasy, so store manager find new way to play like half-day tournament etc..

In my opinioni this is a good thing, in my club the standard is 1000 point because there are many player coming from boardgame and they Like the avventure way and the background, but dont Like 100000 of dice rolling in the table ?

1 hour ago, Sadysaneto said:

Afaik, 1500 uses 1000 pts foc.

It woud be for games from 1000-1999 pts.

Because of the way the book is written, with you choosing your Battle Type (Vanguard, Battlehost, Warhost) then referring to the table it looks like the intent is to have you play Vanguard up to 1000 points, and Battlehost up to 2000 points.

The combined points of the units in your army should not exceed the number of points shown on the chart above. For example, in a Battlehost game, you could field up to 2,000 points worth of units.

That is to say, you can play a Warhost game with 500 points of troops. Just expect to be slaughtered as your opponent can bring 2,500 points of troops against your 4 units of Battleline and basic hero.

To officially play an even Pitched Battle game at 1500 points, you would have to play Battlehost rules (3+ Battleline, 1-6 Leaders, and 0-4 each of Artillery and Behemoths) and then have a gentleman's agreement to only bring up to 1,500 points.

Of course, all of this is a hypothetical discussion. You and your friend should make rules as you see fit to be balanced.

To officially play an even Pitched Battle game at 1500 points, you would have to play Battlehost rules (3+ Battleline, 1-6 Leaders, and 0-4 each of Artillery and Behemoths) and then have a gentleman's agreement to only bring up to 1,500 points.

I suppose effectively you are at 2,000 but with 500 "Leftover Points" as per the roster.

Of course, as 1,500 is likely not a tournament game, you could agree what you like with the other player.

@WillofNagash This is coming from a GHB bandwagoner. I've been trying to get the game up and running in my area, Corvallis, Oregon. Way over on the west coast of the US.

The only reason we have been playing at 1500 for the last few weeks in my area is that its a familiar point level for us (all newly converted 40k players who never ever touched fantasy) And its just a logical stopping point on the way to 2k.  When the GHB dropped we all tried out some 500pt games with our starter boxes, then guys bought more ****** and we played at 1k, repeat 1.5k (where we are now).  Im sure we will be playing 2k soon. I know this is all anecdotal but we all just got our armies so most of us don't physically own 2k points yet.  Also, jumping headfirst into a 2k point game where you know 0 rules would be a giant "Bad Thing" imo.

MOD EDIT - Just tweaked this due to something getting through the Profanity Filter ;) 

On 06/09/2016 at 10:14 AM, SuperHappyTime said:

Because of the way the book is written, with you choosing your Battle Type (Vanguard, Battlehost, Warhost) then referring to the table it looks like the intent is to have you play Vanguard up to 1000 points, and Battlehost up to 2000 points.

That is to say, you can play a Warhost game with 500 points of troops. Just expect to be slaughtered as your opponent can bring 2,500 points of troops against your 4 units of Battleline and basic hero.

Of course, all of this is a hypothetical discussion. You and your friend should make rules as you see fit to be balanced.

Well, i roll with army builder.

Whenever you st 1500pts, it uses 1000pt´s foc.

Other than that, using a higher points foc, to a lower points list, tends to cripple it a bit, 3 battlelines is ok in 2000, not that good in 1500. up to 6 leaders and 4 monsters in 1500 would be a mess.

But that´s just my opinion, you should roll with what your group thinks is the best.

Archived