Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

2 hours ago, azdimy said:

I keep thinking double rogue idols are now better in Kruleboyz than in Bonesplitterz where they have our old movement tricks with a spell to move in the hero phase, ability to redeploy anywhere on the board at the beginning of the game and other shenanigans they can do

I don't play them, so that isn't an option at this tíme. I only play Bonesplitterz. (though to be totally honest, I have been hearing a sirens call to pick up some Ironjawz from this book).

I feel that Idols are important if you are playing Drakkfoot. You have no access to mortal wounds via attacks, so you have to look for rend 2 to get the most out of our ability. Idols, big stabbas, and boars with glowing green tusks are the options we have for that. Idols are survivable, and good on their own. We have tons of spells and abilities that enhance them further. Early 3rd edition I got to see just how much healing we could pull off. We lost the prayer, but between dances and the Endless Lifeswarm it is still a lot. 

Big Stabbas are cheaper, but over the last 2 editions I have come to prefer the Idols durability, as well as the other buffs and synergies they provide. Especially with the hits Big stabbas took. The losses of  running and charging, flying over screens, monster hunters, and d6 damage vs monsters... they aren't what they used to be. 

@broche yeah, you are going to give up first turn often with this list, but it can really help to set up a charge, counter charge, or emergency screen.

Lol, at this point I really hope that they come out with a named character with breath of gork as his spell. I would take him regardless of cost just to get that spell back. Only reason I hold out hope is that they did it with Hedrakka and the bone krusha spell. I miss my flying pigs and rock golem charges.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 8:50 PM, bonzai said:

I miss my flying pigs and rock golem charges.

Great summary on Drakkfoot. The only thing I'd add is that the dream of flying pigz isnt dead! I like the idea of a boar shaman (with fast un) supporting the piggies with levitate, in case they need to charge through some screen or run 6 to fly over stuff to capture an objective. 

5 hours ago, Orkmann said:

Great summary on Drakkfoot. The only thing I'd add is that the dream of flying pigz isnt dead! I like the idea of a boar shaman (with fast un) supporting the piggies with levitate, in case they need to charge through some screen or run 6 to fly over stuff to capture an objective. 

Yeah, I have it on my Wardokk so that I can at least attempt it, but the double move was almost as important as the fly at times.

I've gotten a few games in now with the new book.  I've lost all but one game so far.  However, I've been playing competitive players with competitive lists and I'm very new to 3.0 (all these games are my only 3.0 games lol).  Despite losing so much I feel the  army is better then what I initially thought.  Is it S tier?  Heck no, but I feel like it's a solid C+/B-.  It feels quite playable and I think as I get more practice and experience I'll start to do better. 

With the new gore grunts buff and them being able to delete a mega gargant without +1 to save in one combat (aoa and warchanter buff, unit of 6) I got inspired to calculate icebone boars and compare them to gruntas.

10 maniaks with aoa get close and tie with the boar spell. Boars with stikkas do less obviously. 
My question now is, how easy is it to get all 10 into combat? 
Sadly I had no chance to try this myself, so im happy for all your input.

4 hours ago, AlmGandix3 said:

My question now is, how easy is it to get all 10 into combat? 

pretty tough. I think the best you can do is like 7 (7 vertical front model with 3 horizontal in the back for coherency). So to get 10 in combat you would need to squeeze them between 2 or more ennemies units. With spear you could get all 10 rider (6 front 4 rear) but boar in the back row could not attack

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, broche said:

pretty tough. I think the best you can do is like 7 (7 vertical front model with 3 horizontal in the back for coherency). So to get 10 in combat you would need to squeeze them between 2 or more ennemies units. With spear you could get all 10 rider (6 front 4 rear) but boar in the back row could not attack

You can do 8 in combat, you only need 2 in horizontal in the back to cover the two extremities for coherency

• Thanks 1

Hey all! It's nice to see this thread active again in 3.0.

I really think the army has potential (even arrowboyz without Bonegrinz, being cheaper than every battleline unit without being battleline and thus not giving the battle tactic to the opponent. They are still ok holders, one of the cheapest screens we have and do some poke, being also ok in combat).

We also have pretty good counters to many good armies except Morathi DoK, maybe sentinels and maybe Kairos. Foxes should be tough but under control if we out-drop them and tag them T1 and Gargants or other heavy armies are match for our frenzied were-boar maniaks if we battle one target at a time. Not to mention that wurrgogs are now pretty infamous so they can function as a great bait, even T1 and even though it is a situational threat. I kind of like Icebone and the buff to pigs because T1 they can be devastating from 20" +2 to charge at -3 rend and +1 to hit. So mixing some units of boarboys with maybe a few arrowboyz/morboyz and maniaks seems to be the choice for me.

No idea how the heroes perform, especially the big bosses. The weirdnob seems useless but fast un is basically a free 2ble move (and no fly) each turn on a support hero. I think -and hope- that after the December FAQ and the new books, we will have a much better chance of competing with the (nerfed) top-tier armies. i also hope to see some synergy with the arrowboyz and maybe pop the waaagh in the phase of our choice, but maybe I'm too optimistic.

I will be taking the army to a one-dayer with a pretty good level of players and armies and post again.

It is always encouraging to see people trying their hardest to make the army they love competitive!

• Like 3

On 10/22/2021 at 1:49 PM, Erik Sorbonen said:

really think the army has potential (even arrowboyz without Bonegrinz, being cheaper than every battleline unit without being battleline and thus not giving the battle tactic to the opponent. They are still ok holders, one of the cheapest screens we have and do some poke, being also ok in combat).

Yeah they are not bad. the've increase in my ranking as you can use them as chaff that put some pressure. I don't think it's worth using bonegrinz anyway as Icebone mortal is just superior than extra shot. I currently use 3 units of boarboys as battleline (10-5-5) and a mix of Arrowboys-Morboys and big stabbas. You can deploy in two bubble with stabbas + wurgog acting as support for your infantry. I did a test game agains Ironjawz and he could not really deal with the wurgog's mask. I honestly think army withouth shooting will have a real hard time dealing with BS.

Had my first game and win of bonesplitterz against a monster heavy kruelboyz list and I was pleasantly suprised by how much fun the army is to play. The amount of wounds on the table is brutal and intimidating. Tireless tracker allows us to get so much board control early on and The waaagh turn allows us to take those brutal counter attacks. Also the additional bring it down with our unique battle tactic is great as well allowing me to max out points consistently throughout the game. Kruleboyz may have to go on the back burner and just let my Savage side take over!

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 3 weeks later...

I went 3-0 again at a local tourney! It was supposed to be a more casual event, but I did end up playing Legion of the First Prince, DoK w/ Morathi and Bow snakes, and IDK with 60 Reavers. Highlight of the weekend was the Wurrgog Prophet winning his staring contest with Kairos, followed up by tabling the DoK player in the 3rd by killing Morathi with an arcane bolt in his charge phase.

SUPER happy with back to back 3-0s with our naked idiots. :D

Screenshot_20211113-090432_Drive.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

7 hours ago, Shirtripper said:

I went 3-0 again at a local tourney! It was supposed to be a more casual event, but I did end up playing Legion of the First Prince, DoK w/ Morathi and Bow snakes, and IDK with 60 Reavers. Highlight of the weekend was the Wurrgog Prophet winning his staring contest with Kairos, followed up by tabling the DoK player in the 3rd by killing Morathi with an arcane bolt in his charge phase.

SUPER happy with back to back 3-0s with our naked idiots. :D

Screenshot_20211113-090432_Drive.jpg

Could you share some more details? How did you win against these lists? Do you think the opponents misjudgement or cockiness played a huge role? (many people in my area thin bonesplitterz are really bad after the new tome so this is a big factor for me)

sorry If I bombard you with questions, but i didn’t have any chance to play with the new tome and am happy to get every information I can get.

52 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

Could you share some more details? How did you win against these lists? Do you think the opponents misjudgement or cockiness played a huge role? (many people in my area thin bonesplitterz are really bad after the new tome so this is a big factor for me)

sorry If I bombard you with questions, but i didn’t have any chance to play with the new tome and am happy to get every information I can get.

No problem with the questions! Always happy to help out :)

So against Legion of the First Prince, being a two drop let me take the first turn. With my build of Bonesplitterz, I always, always, ALWAYS want the first turn. With the 8" pre-game move from Tireless Trackers + Great Hunter command trait, and the 12" movement on the Boars, you are almost always going to be able to charge turn one--which is what I did.

The pre-game move and charge does two things:

1. Before the first turn, players capture objectives that they have models on that their opponents do not.  The way most missions work, an 8" pre-game move can let your units jump on an objective and capture them before the first turn starts.
  2. The T1 charge pins the bulk of your opponent's army in their deployment zone, and even in an army with flying monsters it greatly limits their manueverability. In the case of the LotFP, I scored max while he failed to score a single point.

After that, the maneuverability of the army lets me move around and pick and choose where fights happen rather than the other way around.  Wheeling off the front lines put boars on a back objective, which my opponent fought to try and capture it with his Kairos.  Because he did that, and with my Wurrgog nearby, I was able to use the mask on his Kairos and cripple most of his output.  That first turn of scoring outright meant that he got put into a pit that is VERY hard to overcome.  This is the real power of Bonesplitterz, and the main reason why I've won my games.

With the Daughters of Khaine player, he was a one-drop and took the first turn.  Thanks to the terrain on the table, I was able to hide all my heroes out of his shooting from his Bow Snakes. I lost a lot of boars on Turn 1, but the Idol survived combat from Morathi thanks to the Bonesplitterz Waaagh and my Maniaks were untouched.

So I wheeled around Maniaks auto running them 6 and capturing all of the objectives on the map.  Going into R2, he had a screen of Sisters of Slaughter infront of 15 Bow snakes, with Little Morathi behind the snakes. This blob was situated between two terrain pieces on the center objective--and except for some heart-renders and big Morathi, he was down to what was left in the center.  If I double turned, I'd be able to throw my entire army into the center to and wrap up the majority of his forces.

Thankfully I got the double turn, and did just that.  By the end of my turn on round 2, he was down to the two Morathi's and 3 Heartrenders.  I kept the maniaks on the Little Morathi and dumbed 30+ attacks on her a turn, so every turn Big Morathi was maxing out the 3 DMG/turn.  By the end of R3, an Arcane Bolt in her charge phase killed her ouright.

I don't remember much about the Deepkin match, just that I stayed competitive specifically because our boars are absurdly maneuverable.  The fast'un mount trait on the Weirdnob and an auto-run of 6 let me rocket him around my opponent's army and on to a back objective.  The deepkin match was BY FAR the hardest matchup.

All of my opponents were seasoned, and the sheer threat of the T1 charge fundamentally alters how your opponent's play. Being able to disrupt what your opponent does with a "You're going to get charged no-matter what" plays serious havoc on the psychology of your opponent's deployments.

Also, the absolute best part of playing BS is getting to explain what the Wurrgog Prophet does, and then have to show them the warscroll to prove you're not just making up rules!

Hope this helps, and I'm happy to expand on anything. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

39 minutes ago, Krule Tyrant said:

Do you think that a more wound heavy foot troop list can work in a similar fashion? I have had great success (4-2 currently) against my buddies just by the sheer amount of ****** i can put on the board but I worry against more serious lists.

Honestly, I do. I think there's a real potential for Bonegrinz in that.  One list I am considering is two Battle Regiments consisting of 4 Savage Big Bosses with 120 Arrowboys.

That's 252 wounds across 12 units, meaning you can pregame move 100 Arrowboys 8" thanks to Tireless Trackers--that's 4 units of 20 and 2 units of 10. A casual 360 shots a turn, potentially.  With 32mm bases, you could literally choke up objectives.

Of course, I only have 40 Arrowboys right now and don't want to spend $200 on the other 80 arrowboys at the moment lol.

Edited by Shirtripper

29 minutes ago, Krule Tyrant said:

Do you think that a more wound heavy foot troop list can work in a similar fashion? I have had great success (4-2 currently) against my buddies just by the sheer amount of ****** i can put on the board but I worry against more serious lists.

Honestly right now i dont' think you can justify savage orruk on foot. They are marginally cheaper per wound than boarboyz (8.25 vs 9.33) but almost do twice the damage with 12''  move + access to potentiel rend 2.

50 minutes ago, broche said:

Honestly right now i dont' think you can justify savage orruk on foot. They are marginally cheaper per wound than boarboyz (8.25 vs 9.33) but almost do twice the damage with 12''  move + access to potentiel rend 2.

While true on the damage and mobility they do bring more bodies for holding objectives and for screening. Something i am at least looking for in the dps check/swamp army

12 minutes ago, Krule Tyrant said:

While true on the damage and mobility they do bring more bodies for holding objectives and for screening. Something i am at least looking for in the dps check/swamp army

true for objectives. For screening i'm pretty sure you will get more reach with 5 board than 10 orruks tough. For infantry i tend to throw in morboys. Less defense, but cheaper and do lot more damages.

12 minutes ago, broche said:

true for objectives. For screening i'm pretty sure you will get more reach with 5 board than 10 orruks tough. For infantry i tend to throw in morboys. Less defense, but cheaper and do lot more damages.

I love the 2 on each end with a string of boys in the middle. Sometimes it bites in the morale phase but the board control you get out of it is sweet. Also one advantage foot troops have over boars is their exploding sixes is harder to get rid of

47 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Great write up @Shirtripper

Question for you, how many pigs are you typically getting into combat with the units of 10?

Thank you!!

With Maniaks, I typically get 7-8. With boarboys, I typically stick with 7 in the front rank, so all the boys can attack, but only 7 get in.

I'm much more reckless with the maniaks since they tend to die faster than normal boys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shirtripper said:

Thank you!!

With Maniaks, I typically get 7-8. With boarboys, I typically stick with 7 in the front rank, so all the boys can attack, but only 7 get in.

I'm much more reckless with the maniaks since they tend to die faster than normal boys.

Yeah nice...would you mind putting up a photo of how you're positioning the Maniaks to get 8 in please?

Keen to copy you!

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 8:44 AM, Shirtripper said:
  1. Before the first turn, players capture objectives that they have models on that their opponents do not.  The way most missions work, an 8" pre-game move can let your units jump on an objective and capture them before the first turn starts.

Also, I love this! Really good point

• Like 2