Here be Dragons! A Discussion Thread about Dragons in the Mortal Realms.

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

They're fools that they lock dragons to Order in the first place. You get giants for every army but not dragons? I'm sure that most people prefer dragons over giants. Not that I care much for those two models but reception would've been better if they weren't aligned with SC.

Heck yeah, give me a Destruction dragon (Scarface up there looks like he'd fit right in, honestly!) and I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

I think we will get our Chaos Dragons soon enough. Galrauch needs to return and strike terror into the hearts of these upstart dragons and Kragnos. Extra points if just one head is smirking 😉

I think that they want to have Wyverns be Destruction's answer to order's dragons... if so give us more. The Mawcrusher and now the vulture are good starting points for Wyvern like creatures but lets get some more! I want a flock of diminutive Wyvern ridden by goblins or a serpentine frost Wyvern that stocks the ever-winter for scavanged remains from the ogor warpath. 

For a long while I've wanted to do an entire dragon mounted army. AoS probably isn't the right system for it, but the new kits could be a great starting point.

The idea would be essentially to have a couple of big centrepiece dragons, and then several smaller drakes, being ridden by different troop types. So you would have heavily armoured dragon knights on medium sized dragons. Big dragons acting as troop transports for "dragon dragoons", and then smaller drakes with lightly armoured scouts and mages. I'd probably source lots of toy dragons and repaint them, building howdas out of matches and lollypop sticks. Smaller creatures like wyverns and wingless drakes would also be cool. Then heroes would of course need to all have pseudo dragons on arms and shoulders etc. 

The reason none of this has happened yet is finding appropriate models. I'd imagine I can get historical knight models which come without horses, and can be given more exotic mounts, but it would be nice to find some winged figures for the scouts, so that they can fly off their dragons as needed, and fight alongside them.

Maybe one day I'll find the right models for the job!

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

For a long while I've wanted to do an entire dragon mounted army. AoS probably isn't the right system for it, but the new kits could be a great starting point.

The idea would be essentially to have a couple of big centrepiece dragons, and then several smaller drakes, being ridden by different troop types. So you would have heavily armoured dragon knights on medium sized dragons. Big dragons acting as troop transports for "dragon dragoons", and then smaller drakes with lightly armoured scouts and mages. I'd probably source lots of toy dragons and repaint them, building howdas out of matches and lollypop sticks. Smaller creatures like wyverns and wingless drakes would also be cool. Then heroes would of course need to all have pseudo dragons on arms and shoulders etc. 

The reason none of this has happened yet is finding appropriate models. I'd imagine I can get historical knight models which come without horses, and can be given more exotic mounts, but it would be nice to find some winged figures for the scouts, so that they can fly off their dragons as needed, and fight alongside them.

Maybe one day I'll find the right models for the job!

In terms of rules, I think you could easily pull it off with either Stormcast or Cities of Sigmar. 

Run the big dragons as characters, and the smaller mounted units such as Dracoths or Coldone Knights.

• LOVE IT! 1

Well... I guess I'm getting another 2k points of stormcast now.  I kind of hope that they change the "battleline if" rules to be if you have the Knight Draconish OR one of the stardrakes (not that I have a problem with the Knight-Draconis... but stardrakes are cool too - and I already have 1).  Also will help my cities because clearly I am suffering from a lack of dragons there as well.  Hopefully they point them such that you can make an actual 2k list with them and not have to worry about throwing in 200ish points of chaff because they cost too much.  Because lets be real - if I want to play a dragon army, I want it to be all dragons, none of that silly infantry stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

@EccentricCircle So in the article above it states you can legit take an all Dragon army now! ❤️

Oh wow! Yeah, just reading the article now, and this is looking very encouraging! I've never been the biggest fan of stormcast, but I could make an exception for these guys (or do some nifty conversions.) I guess I'd better get saving my pennies. I doubt they are going to be cheap.

Soon my dragon armies shall take flight!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Based on the size of the Stormcast, I'd say it's roughly Celannar sized, maybe a little bigger. Wingspan aside, that seems small.

Love them, I'm just disappointed it's Stormcast. They would be so much cooler as their own army in Destruction.

• Like 2

It is a bit disappointing that they aren't their own army similar to Sons of Behemat, but at least now Stormcast have become cool by proxy (and also by new models that aren't incredibly ugly).  I suppose they didn't want to make a dragon army since that would step on Seraphon toes just a little, as far as Order allegiance goes.

4 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Oh wow! Yeah, just reading the article now, and this is looking very encouraging! I've never been the biggest fan of stormcast, but I could make an exception for these guys (or do some nifty conversions.) I guess I'd better get saving my pennies. I doubt they are going to be cheap.

Soon my dragon armies shall take flight!

I think adding some chaos heads and filing off any Sigmar iconography might be an easy fix.

I am thinking of using Chaos Heads on my Stormcast but cutting off their horns and running them as the warriors that resisted the beckoning of the dark gods... but I would have to cut off the heads of any second hand stormcast I purchase which seems like too much effort for me. Luckily I have a while before I get to my Stormcast and have to decide on my flavour of dragon.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the sprues. I suspect the riders will be integrated, as that seems to be the norm for stormcast. If against all odds they are easily detachable then I can just magnetise them and swap them out for human sized knights depending on what I'm playing. Otherwise a head swap with greatswords or demigriph knights might be in order! 

on a related note, does anyone know o a company that makes winged valkyrie type models? I like the idea if winged scouts or infantry riding dragons ti the battle field then flying off to engage. Nit a great fan of the winged stormcast though they are just so bulky.

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

It will be interesting to see the sprues. I suspect the riders will be integrated, as that seems to be the norm for stormcast. If against all odds they are easily detachable then I can just magnetise them and swap them out for human sized knights depending on what I'm playing. Otherwise a head swap with greatswords or demigriph knights might be in order! 

on a related note, does anyone know o a company that makes winged valkyrie type models? I like the idea if winged scouts or infantry riding dragons ti the battle field then flying off to engage. Nit a great fan of the winged stormcast though they are just so bulky.

Lost Kingdoms Miniatures has a fantastic line of Knights including Pegasus riders: 

https://www.lostkingdomminiatures.com/en/kingdom-of-mercia/319-339-wind-knights-command-group.html#/26-supports-pre_supported

@Overread knows of many fantastic artists and possibly can help fined some more winged angelic/valkyrie models or pegasus riders. 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

Lost Kingdoms Miniatures has a fantastic line of Knights including Pegasus riders: 

https://www.lostkingdomminiatures.com/en/kingdom-of-mercia/319-339-wind-knights-command-group.html#/26-supports-pre_supported

@Overread knows of many fantastic artists and possibly can help fined some more winged angelic/valkyrie models or pegasus riders. 

Those are fantastic. I've seen their lizardmen stand ins before, such amazing details.

I wonder if these two represent the future standard for ancient named dragons in terms of stats and rules. I feel like the breath attack and tail attack could be standard for all future named dragons with their special rules tying more to Krondys' spell casting and Karzai's fire of vengance:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/10/magic-and-mayhem-the-dragon-princes-rules-make-them-a-ruinous-tag-team-in-battle/
uolg4Wk6yo2388uU.jpg
So many dragons! 

• Like 1

Calamitous Tail

Remind me not to charge the new dragons with a horde of grots or skellies, If i'm reading this right, I could have an entire 30 man unit of light infantry on 25mm bases surround the dragon, and the dragon gets 30 attacks at 3, 3, -2, 2. Ouch. Or worse yet, with a 3" range, the dragon charges a large 30 man infantry block, and then uses its 3" range to dump all 30 attacks (theoretical maximum) into the hero or elite unit hiding behind the infantry block.

In actual play, it shouldn't be very hard at all to charge a large infantry unit (or a castled up group of MSU's) and get 15+ attacks. It would be less scary and more realistic if those attacks had to be allocated to the models within 3" which generated the # of attacks. I.E. 3 attacks to unit A, 7 attacks to unit B, etc. In the current iteration, the dragon generates the total # of attacks based on nearby models, and then gets to choose where those attacks are allocated. In its current iteration Calamatous Tail should have a different name and description. The Title and flavor text makes it sound like the dragon swings its tail and hits everything within 3" of it once. Thematically, then the power should have been something like. Make a number of attacks against each unit within 3" where the number of attacks is equal to the number of models in that unit within 3". In its current iteration, should be called Calamatous Fury or some such thing, and not a "tail sweep". 

That said, my Soulblight are not looking forward to having to deal with one of these new Dragons, but man o man I really like the look of them and I'm happy to see dragons returning to AoS. I hope Chaos/Death/ Destruction eventually get new dragons as well. 

image.png.9e9b426d5c0a07de618d35021865abfa.png