AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

I still feel lile the scriptor *could* be decent with an arcane tome just pumping out seal of shyish or shademist but good lord, his melee is pathetic on top of being a 1 trick pony of dubious value for his points.

He also has a move of 6" which is also quite strange in an army of 8" speed or better

Edited by Neck-Romantic

I'm also really interested to see how he plays in the new book too.

He offers at range damage and utility you don't really find elsewhere as well as a ton of healing. He seems best to me healing large blocks of ghosts but it's really hard to have him and large blocks when I tried to think up a list.

With Olynder's buffs, and the shift away from monsters next season, I think Nagash's strengths aren't as stark as they once were. He still has the best arcane bolt output we have access to, but with the loss of Reaping Scythe he's not as far ahead on the damage anymore.

While we're still getting points and bonuses from monsters, though, I think he's the best access to that we can get.

17 hours ago, Fellman said:

Ohhh yes i want this

Bvo6lS8taaNOyqia.jpg

It's nice that these guys will still be available, but I wish they were purchasable separately.  I'd like to get the mounted knight of shrouds without getting the other two, as I already have the limited release guardian of souls & doubt I'll ever want to run two with how over-crowded Nighthaunt hero slots are, and I'm not going to run a spirit torment without also running chainghasts, which are only available in a package set that with another, much cooler looking spirit torment model, rendering the soul wars spirit torment worse than obsolete.

• Like 1

Awlrach really seems like almost an auto include. Great stats, 7 wounds, utility, quite killy, fairly decent point cost.

Sidenote; I really hope the new GHB gives the same point-cost workover to everyone else, as I too am finding making a list requires a great deal of sacrifices at the moment.

Also also; did we not get any battalions or did I miss that for list building? Just the 'take these choices and get an extra enhancement or reroll' etc

Edited by Neck-Romantic

Awlrach certainly seems like a solid centerpiece to build around, but I wouldn't say he's an auto-include by any stretch. There are so many excellent competing options for that slot - Kurdoss has less mobility but is a better brawler, Reikenor is surprisingly hitty and a great caster. Or you can splash out for Olynder, she's awesome.

There are so few misses in this book, it's amazing. Only the Craventhrone Guard, the Scriptor Mortis and the Glaivewraiths could really be considered bad - everything else is solid to excellent. Fitting everything you want to take into a list is almost impossible, because you want everything.

No battalions were leaked, and people seem pretty sure that there aren't any. The core ones work just fine for us, we're structured around small heroes and infantry so meeting requirements is easy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Awlrach really seems like almost an auto include. Great stats, 7 wounds, utility, quite killy, fairly decent point cost.

Sidenote; I really hope the new GHB gives the same point-cost workover to everyone else, as I too am finding making a list requires a great deal of sacrifices at the moment.

Also also; did we not get any battalions or did I miss that for list building? Just the 'take these choices and get an extra enhancement or reroll' etc

I feel like everyone with a 3rd edition book has felt like this since the first two in terms of stuff being expensive points-wise. So I imagine that will occur in the general's handbook as well. 

I've come around on Awlrach. He's fighty and his utility ability is pretty good as we know from Dreadblade Harrows. That said, I don't think anything is an auto-include in this army with Spirit Hosts maybe being the closest. There's just a lot of good options. Truly a great place to be. 

33 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

No battalions were leaked, and people seem pretty sure that there aren't any. The core ones work just fine for us, we're structured around small heroes and infantry so meeting requirements is easy.

The next General's Handbook will hopefully introduce new Core Battalions. And if we look at what WarCom had to say about the direction they want the game to go for the next season, I'm pretty confident that Nighthaunt can make good use of a new Core Battalion. Seeing how we spam battleline 👌

The action’s still raging across the Realm of Beasts, but while the last Pitched Battles pack was all about fielding monsters, killing monsters, or even turning into a monster, this season brings us back to basics. The latest General’s Handbook emphasises your humble battleline troops – warriors who’ve become veteran survivors of Ghur. 

For comparison, the Core Battalions we have now naturally have nothing for battleline but a Battalion specifically for behemoths

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Finally gonna get round to making my Black Coach tonight. Using the new book, what are people's thoughts about which weapon to take? I wanna say Grasp for the ability to shoot but I'm woeful at rolling 4+.

U get 2 riders and both weapon weapons so u can build both. They are easy to swap even without magnets.
Dont know anything about the new tome. Didnt want to spoiler myself this time.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

Dont know anything about the new tome. Didnt want to spoiler myself this time.

Basically the whole rules set has been leaked so rather than worries about spoilers, why just read it and start playing with your new NH book?

I feel like spoilers applies to only getting partial info, and even then, GW normally give out tons of 'spoilers' before release. What you have here is more of an unofficial early release than a spoiler IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Rors said:

Basically the whole rules set has been leaked so rather than worries about spoilers, why just read it and start playing with your new NH book?

I feel like spoilers applies to only getting partial info, and even then, GW normally give out tons of 'spoilers' before release. What you have here is more of an unofficial early release than a spoiler IMO. 

Thanks but this time i would like to pre-order the battletome and discover things for myself before reading others opinions of the book. 

1 hour ago, Iksdee said:

U get 2 riders and both weapon weapons so u can build both. They are easy to swap even without magnets.

Interesting. Very much appreciated. I'm not a big fan of magnetising but if you get two then it shouldn't be a problem. Cheers!

After a 2 year pause, going to have my first game this weekend and decided to go with NH with their new rules.

I have no idea what/how to build now though, with all the new rules!

Can I get an opinion on a decent list, considering new rules, from what I have:

• Spirit Tormet
  • Olynder
  • Reiknor
  • 2x Guardian of Souls
  • Lord Executioner 
  • 2x Dreadblade
  • Kruhlghast
  • KoS on Steed
  • 40x Chainrasp
  • 20x Reapers
  • 10x Bladegheist
  • 10x hexwraiths
  • 6x spirit hosts
  • Chainghast
  • Black coach

Kind of confused with all the new 'battalion' stuff and reinforcement points (still a bit to read up on it seems)

Chainrasps greatly benefit from big units in the same way that other than them only Grimghast Reapers do. It's not just a great defensive buff to survive until the next regeneration hits you.

They can also fight in two ranks, which boost their offensive output more than their pure stats would suggest. And even in a big blob you can fit them in a small enough footprint that the "wholly within 12" auras our heroes have encompasses them all. So yeah, I'm a big fan of 20-man Chainrasps

• Like 3