AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

I wonder if that's just so other factions that haven't had their update still have their new-ish toys..

If NH can still use those two old subfactions though I wonder what list tech opens up with the new legance abilities and items.. Reikenors subfaction was fast and that was back when they were M6 ghosts. Possible zoomies list?

Had a game last evening. My revenge against sons of behemoth.

After a devastating win last time my friend felt a bit too cocky and rushed me with a single giant which I could swarm with more than half of my army and took him down in my turn round 1. In the other corner I charged a single giant with 20 bladegheists. Because of terrain and the need to remain in 12" of Krulghast, GoS and Chaingheists only a few models were able to attack and did like 17 wounds on the giants (including scarlet charge). I wasn't controlling a single objective at that time. Round 2 three mancrushers charged these bladegheists and it was pretty scary. Their charge and combined attacks with the wounded gargant dropped them from 20 models to just 2. I was delighted though, expecting to bring most of them back with both Mortarch of Grief and GoS. I rolled 1 with each of them...

With only 4 models I retreated to the center of the battlefield. In the meantime I moved chainrasps to capture two objectives, one in the corner and one on the center. Later Olynder, Spirit Torment and 10 bladegheists charged the center giant. In round 3 I managed to take him down and my friend gave up the game.

This was much different game from the last one. I swapped Black Coach for 20 more chainrasps and some heroes. I should mention that aside from bladegheists obviously which done in total like 50-60 dmg during the game was Lord Executioner. He managed to deal in total 16 dmg to two gargants. Well done for the points and he was useful as being able to fit in narrow spaces while not being seen as a threat and not targeted.

Screenshot_2022-07-09-15-36-34-159_com.android.chrome.jpg.d4a0998677c1250384a4bceb9ad7789d.jpg

IMG_20220709_182528.jpg

IMG_20220709_182542.jpg

IMG_20220709_193611.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rors said:

If NH can still use those two old subfactions though I wonder what list tech opens up with the new legance abilities and items.. Reikenors subfaction was fast and that was back when they were M6 ghosts. Possible zoomies list?

You cannot use the old Emerald Host anymore, because it has been replaced. In Matched Play you can only use the newest rules from legal sources which is Emerald Host from the new battletome and Reikenor's Condemned from Broken Realms.

But it's all good points, I haven't really checked out Reikenor's anymore since then. Reikenor counting as general too and Dreadblade copying the +6" movement on Chainrasps CA can really be wild.

I think its just a GW error in not being clear. Why would they not add Reikenors Condemned to the new tome if they intended it to be included?

Lumineth got their Broken Realms update folded in with the new book.

I can understand the arguments for but personally I wouldn't use it.

14 hours ago, The_Dudemeister said:

But it's all good points, I haven't really checked out Reikenor's anymore since then. Reikenor counting as general too and Dreadblade copying the +6" movement on Chainrasps CA can really be wild.

Yeah you could in theory put some spirit torment in the underworld for deepstrike, copy the movement buff and put the one per game extra attack artifact on a harrow. Shove a bunch of M11 glaive wraith stalkers with +3 to charge, an extra attack and rerolls to hit.. I wouldn't go and buy stalkers for this but there's something there if you already had them.

Some hoards of chainrasp that can just pin their forces in and get extra healing from the sub-faction and the new buffs like discorporate (which you could also spam after turn 1). Kinda plays like grieving legion only faster and more durable but not as good at pinning. The more viable option between the two IMO.

*cough, cough...hack, cough WHEEZE*

Alright, you degenerates. I've updated the guide.

Now, permit me to die.

NHGuideBanner.png.d97f2e5cb55ff6424d5287832e4e6950.png

Change log

• Updated existing Universal Endless Spells and added all missing ones
  • Architectures of Torture is now just for Nighthaunt grand strats and battle tactics
  • New section, Of Quire and Scribe, built out for the current battlepack
    • Right now it's only the new 2022-23 battlepack. If people would like I can add Contest of Generals since that's always going to be valid, and return Seasons of War: Thondia since that's the current narrative battlepack, but at the moment I had no plans to
  • Pointed out in Of Quire and Scribe that all wizards know the Realmsphere spell, even allies
  • Added Instant Black Hole Sun to the Consider Some Tricks section
    • Still looking for more dirty tactics and tomfoolery. Please submit your tricks and treats!
  • Several grammar and spelling fixes
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Boggler said:

Here is the link to the battle reports I did Vlog style:

Nighthaunt are super fun. I hope someone can find these useful.

Thank you man, I really like how you explain the battle plans and what you do and why, for me it's really of help as I'm not getting to play very often

6 hours ago, Fabbbio said:

Thank you man, I really like how you explain the battle plans and what you do and why, for me it's really of help as I'm not getting to play very often

No problem sir! If you are the only person who finds them useful then I'll consider my time well spent. Hopefully you'll get to play some games more often! We're all in this together.

12 hours ago, Boggler said:

Here is the link to the battle reports I did Vlog style:

Nighthaunt are super fun. I hope someone can find these useful.

This was a nice watch. I actually retained information this time! It makes me miss how I used to go over potential lists and get a lot of games in with my friends.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EnixLHQ said:

This is quickly becoming my favorite style of battle reports. Gold standard, I'd say. Also, the commentary at minute 30 *chef's kiss*.

The format is perfect - big fan. Watched this battle tonight. Very nicely played by the NH player. Makes me want to buy an incarnate.

14 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

Some advice how to play against Stormcast? I think mostly units from last starter, maybe evocators and/or dragons.

I'm not sure it's a major threat to us right now. Shut down casting and be wary of their ability to do mortals when they're killed, which I think depends on chamber. I like to weaken units but not necessarily wipe them, knowing that they can Cycle of the Storm them back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

This is quickly becoming my favorite style of battle reports. Gold standard, I'd say. Also, the commentary at minute 30 *chef's kiss*.

Hell yeah, I'm a big fan of Season of War, myself. They have great commentary, a good UI for understanding turns/VPs/etc., and solid camera angles for the table itself. Also love the little story intro they do at the start of each.

15 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

Some advice how to play against Stormcast? I think mostly units from last starter, maybe evocators and/or dragons.

You’ll want to stack on some rend. A Purple Sun and stacking charges will wreck them. A Krulghast will help against their multi-damage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

I'm so jelous of the terrain. I've neven seen such a beautiful table before.

22 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

This was a nice watch. I actually retained information this time! It makes me miss how I used to go over potential lists and get a lot of games in with my friends.

Thanks for watching and thanks for the comment. Jordan at SoW puts in 20+ hours of work for each of his "Gold Standard" reports. I'm lucky to get 2 hours a week these days and those 2 hours are spent mowing the lawn. And, I'm several episodes of Warhammer weekly behind and a bunch of SoW batreps!

Remember back when we had more time? Yeah... those were the days!

There are 4 2 day GT's within a 5 hour drive of me in the next 3 months. I can not attend any of them.

Season of War (Toronto), Canhammer (Ottawa), Montreal GT (I'm running it), and Red Harvest (Oshawa).

Then there is Nova which is a 10 hour drive.

In November there is Da Boyz (Rochester) and December is Everwinter (Boston) I'm hoping for at least one of those two.

Is anyone here going to any of these?

3 hours ago, Boggler said:

Thanks for watching and thanks for the comment. Jordan at SoW puts in 20+ hours of work for each of his "Gold Standard" reports. I'm lucky to get 2 hours a week these days and those 2 hours are spent mowing the lawn. And, I'm several episodes of Warhammer weekly behind and a bunch of SoW batreps!

Remember back when we had more time? Yeah... those were the days!

There are 4 2 day GT's within a 5 hour drive of me in the next 3 months. I can not attend any of them.

Season of War (Toronto), Canhammer (Ottawa), Montreal GT (I'm running it), and Red Harvest (Oshawa).

Then there is Nova which is a 10 hour drive.

In November there is Da Boyz (Rochester) and December is Everwinter (Boston) I'm hoping for at least one of those two.

Is anyone here going to any of these?

I wish I could go to an event. I'm sure there is one in the Seattle area, but even that's 30 miles from me. Eh, really I'm just making excuses because I'm low-key sure that I'll be tabled turn 2 and be knocked out of the running.

Either way, what I really miss is the sitting around the table, slow-playing a game, going over each of the rounds with my 2 or 3 friends in the room, and still having time for a second game, and then going to dinner to keep talking about it more. Going to the local shop and bouncing off the local meta. Getting chuckles when I unboxed my NH and no one seeing the knowing smirk of the shop owner because he knew I was about to hand someone their butt on a plate. Ah, good times.

2 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

I wish I could go to an event. I'm sure there is one in the Seattle area, but even that's 30 miles from me. Eh, really I'm just making excuses because I'm low-key sure that I'll be tabled turn 2 and be knocked out of the running.

Apologies if you know this and I'm stating the obvious, but tournaments aren't knock out style. You still get to play 5 games even if you lose every one, and getting to play new people from different metas is a great way to broaden your experience and improve.

Losing your first game is actually not always that bad, as you then get an easier run and can often finish 4-1 and potentially snag a top finish despite never being "in the running" for the event win.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

Apologies if you know this and I'm stating the obvious, but tournaments aren't knock out style. You still get to play 5 games even if you lose every one, and getting to play new people from different metas is a great way to broaden your experience and improve.

Losing your first game is actually not always that bad, as you then get an easier run and can often finish 4-1 and potentially snag a top finish despite never being "in the running" for the event win.

It's the irrational fear, I think.

At any rate, how are our lists doing? Do we have a great one for each Procession yet? I'd love to include them in the guide.

My first post-covid list. How much has my addled mind lost touch?

- Army Faction: Nighthaunt

- Subfaction: The Emerald Host

- Grand Strategy: Feed on Terror

- Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Guardian of Souls (150)**

- General

- Command Traits: Master of Magic

- Chill Blade

- Artefacts of Power: Midnight Tome

- Spells: Shademist

Kurdoss Valentian (210)**

Lady Olynder (340)**

- Spells: Spectral Tether

Spirit Torment (115)***

- Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome

- Spells: Seal of Shyish

Krulghast Cruciator (150)***

BATTLELINE

Hexwraiths (160)*

- Hellwraith

Grimghast Reapers (320)*

- Extoller of Shyish

Chainrasps (220)***

- Dreadwarden

OTHER

Dreadscythe Harridans (160)*

- Slasher Crone

Chainghasts (95)***

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Bounty Hunters

**Command Entourage

- Magnificent

***Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: 1990/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

4 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

It's the irrational fear, I think.

At any rate, how are our lists doing? Do we have a great one for each Procession yet? I'd love to include them in the guide.

There's a Swedish lady, I've forgotten her name.. it starts with an R..

Anyway, she's been killing it with NH. From memory I think she's got multiple 5-0 results using large blocks of bladegeist in their subfaction.

On 7/13/2022 at 1:18 AM, EnixLHQ said:

I'm not sure it's a major threat to us right now. Shut down casting and be wary of their ability to do mortals when they're killed, which I think depends on chamber. I like to weaken units but not necessarily wipe them, knowing that they can Cycle of the Storm them back.

I was obliterated.

He had a very strong list: longstrikes, fulminators, vindictors. First turn he destroyed my first unit of 10 bladegheists with his crossbows even though I used discorporate. Turn 2 he used the same technic on another 20 bladegheists. He took a few models with longstrikes and finished them off with fulminators. His second unit of fulminators managed to succeed a long charge for Olynder. The game was set. It was traumatic.