AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

14 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/07/04/new-faqs-and-erratas-tighten-up-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

New FAQs drop today. For Nighthaunt it clarifies that abilities like the Furies' Sneaky Little Devils still work when bound up by our Grieving Legion units. Meaning that an ability that causes a retreat is not the same as a retreat action, and can be used to get out of Dragged into the Grave. Cool.

I'm not sure anything else changed.

Funnily enough it just says Grieving Legion, not GL with 10 or more models.

The intent is clear, but the wording is poor. The faction keyword on its own does nothing.

I think the rule was fine anyway, it says they MUST retreat, so probably overrides CAN'T retreat as the most recently applied effect.

Mortals Terminexus was buffed by extending the range from 12" to 18"

Shyish Reaper and Vault of Souls have been nerfed considerably by removing all boni against terrified units. 

Shyish Reaper doesn't get the +1 to beat the save characteristic anymore

Vault got double-whammy'd. It doesn't deal a Mortal on 5+ against terrified targets and after it explodes it's not d6+1 mortals anymore. 

Was that really necessary? Nighthaunt have the single most expensive set of faction Endless Spells after the latest points adjustments

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Shyish Reaper and Vault of Souls have been nerfed considerably by removing all boni against terrified units. 

Vault got double-whammy'd. It doesn't deal a Mortal on 5+ against terrified targets and after it explodes it's not d6+1 mortals anymore. 

Was that really necessary? Nighthaunt have the single most expensive set of faction Endless Spells after the latest points adjustments

Is it not just a mistake and they've listed old scrolls accidentally? I've not had a proper look but are they just duplicates of the old scrolls?

1 hour ago, lare2 said:

Is it not just a mistake and they've listed old scrolls accidentally? I've not had a proper look but are they just duplicates of the old scrolls?

I'm not sure if it's just copium but I have a pretty strong feeling this is exactly what happened. DoK spell also lost the changes they got in their new book

Is it almost a requirement to put in Purple Sun in this army in a competitive list? Seems to go perfectly with the charging bonus obviously.

Also, what are you guys thinking for heroes? I'm tempted to take six if I can afford it but I don't know if that's too many

Anyone got to play in smaller points range with the new tome? Next month my LGS will do a 750 points tournament (core rules battlepack) and I was considering going with my Nighthaunt. Using what I have so far I build this list:

Spoiler
Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Procession: Emerald Host
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Spirit Torment (115)*
- General
- Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
Dreadblade Harrow (145)*
- Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvest Moon

Battleline
20 x Chainrasps (220)*
- Reinforced x 1

Units
2 x Chainghasts (95)*
10 x Bladegheist Revenants (175)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 750 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 44
Drops: 1

Basic idea would be having the Torment+Chainghasts supporting the Chainrasps and the Dreadblade with the Bladegheists, so I can have discorporate on both units if needed. Other than the units in the list I have a Executioner, Kurdoss, GoS, Spirit Hosts and Banshees which I could try to include. Maybe changing the Dreadblade for a Executioner with Hatred of the Living (as far as I know no one else will go with a Death faction)?

I think i would try something like this. Get Spirit Hosts for protection + banshees (or more chainrasps). Put in arcane tome to get a wizard. Any good?

- Army Faction: Nighthaunt
     - Subfaction: The Emerald Host
     - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
     - Triumph: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Spirit Torment (115)
     - General
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
     - Spells: Shademist
BATTLELINE
Chainrasps (220)
Spirit Hosts (125)
OTHER
Bladegheist Revenants (175)
Myrmourn Banshees (105)
TOTAL POINTS: 740/750

Army Faction: Nighthaunt
 Army Subfaction: The Emerald Host
 Grand Strategy: Take what’s Theirs
 Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADER
Guardian of Souls (150)
 General
– Command Traits: Master of Magic
– Chill Blade
– Artefacts: Midnight Tome
– Spells: Seal of Shyish
Spirit Torment (115)
Dreadblade Harrow (145)**
 Artefacts: Arcane Tome
Kurdoss Valentian (210)**
Krulghast Cruciator (150)**

BATTLELINE
1 x Chainrasps (220)
Hexwraiths (160)*
1 x Grimghast Reapers (320)*
Hexwraiths (160)*

BEHEMOTH
Mourngul (300)

ENDLESS SPELL
Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

CORE BATTALIONS:
*Bounty Hunters
**Command Entourage – Magnificent

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

This fine list just hit 2nd place in the 9-man tournament Coliseum Of Sigmar Carnage GT. Beating 1st and 3rd on the way while only losing to a Deepkin list. And yes, it brought a Mourngul 👏

The 6" aura for -1 to hit and the self-healing still seem to have a place in our lists. Combat-wise it's a little weaker than new Kurdoss even with the old Frightful Touch (2 mortals), but it also benefits way more from -1s to save.

I'm really hoping for a complete overhaul to make the Mourngul an actual beast in melee and have some additional shenanigans like a large terrify-aura with minuses to bravery or something. But he currently still works with the new book and just needs to be priced closer to Kurdoss than to Olynder

16 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Army Faction: Nighthaunt
 Army Subfaction: The Emerald Host
 Grand Strategy: Take what’s Theirs
 Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADER
Guardian of Souls (150)
 General
– Command Traits: Master of Magic
– Chill Blade
– Artefacts: Midnight Tome
Spirit Torment (115)
Dreadblade Harrow (145)**
 Artefacts: Arcane Tome
Kurdoss Valentian (210)**
Krulghast Cruciator (150)**

BATTLELINE
1 x Chainrasps (220)
Hexwraiths (160)*
1 x Grimghast Reapers (320)*
Hexwraiths (160)*

BEHEMOTH
Mourngul (300)

ENDLESS SPELL
Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

CORE BATTALIONS:
*Bounty Hunters
**Command Entourage – Magnificent

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

This fine list just hit 2nd place in the 9-man tournament Coliseum Of Sigmar Carnage GT. Beating 1st and 3rd on the way while only losing to a Deepkin list. And yes, it brought a Mourngul 👏

The 6" aura for -1 to hit and the self-healing still seem to have a place in our lists. Combat-wise it's a little weaker than new Kurdoss even with the old Frightful Touch (2 mortals), but it also benefits way more from -1s to save.

I'm really hoping for a complete overhaul to make the Mourngul an actual beast in melee and have some additional shenanigans like a large terrify-aura with minuses to bravery or something. But he currently still works with the new book and just needs to be priced closer to Kurdoss than to Olynder

Well it's nice to see I've been on the right path with making my list, as I'm thinking down a similar path, minus the Morgul.

Interesting that there is no unit of Spirit Hosts, it seems hard not to include them for me.

Kurdoss seems like such a can opener, and with Purple Sun can really get crazy with rend, even though he doesn't do much else.

Thanks for sharing.

On 7/5/2022 at 6:58 AM, The_Dudemeister said:

On 7/5/2022 at 9:18 AM, lare2 said:

23 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

I'm not sure if it's just copium but I have a pretty strong feeling this is exactly what happened. DoK spell also lost the changes they got in their new book

The Android version of the WH AoS app just updated, and the change log included the "Summer Update and all FAQs."

Though the search is now broken and crashes the app, manually looking up the Shyish Reaper under Nighthaunt still shows a terrified interaction.

The spell appears nowhere else in the app I can find. So I'd hazard a guess that the print was a mistake.

• Thanks 3

Here's a list I'm thinking about building towards to get a general sense for the army and use to tweak as I get some knowledge and experience. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Nighthaunt, Emerald Host, Warlord, Command Entourage, Bounty Hunters, Expert Conquerors Battalions

Leaders

Guardian of Souls, General, Master of Magic, Shademist

Krulghast Cruciator - Arcane Tome, Seal of Shyish

Reikenor the Grimhailer - Soulcage

Dreadblade Harrow - Soulfire Ring

KOS on Ethereal Steed - Pendent of the Fell Wind

Spirit Torment

Battleline

20 Chainrasps *EC

20 Grimghast Reapers *BH

5 Hexwraiths *BH

5 Hexwraiths *BH

3 Spirit Hosts *EC

Other

Purple Sun of Shyish

1960 Points, 103 Wounds.

I'm looking to go for kind of two spearheads. Mounted heroes can engage and harass the other bounty hunters or deadly units and keep the enemy pinned. KoS and Dreadblade hopefully have some staying power with their abilities and artifacts, and Reikenor can get off a Purple Sun pretty easily if necessary. I'd expect to get at the least three units charged in for some extra rend hopefully.

The other 'detachment' can hold the fort and cap objectives. Both units of Chain and Grimghasts have pretty good staying power with -1 damage and possibly -1 to wound and 5++, and the Grimghasts can get in basically all their attacks for a lot of damage. I would probably consider keeping these two units off the board to start.

Changes: I could easily drop the KoSoS and the Grimghasts to fit in more Chainrasps for cheaper bodies. I'd consider something like:

Leaders

Dreadblade

Guardian of Souls

Krulghast

Reikenor

Spirit Torment

Battleline

20 Chainrasps

20 Chainrasps

5 Hexwraiths

3 Spirit Hosts

Other

2 Chainghasts

10 Bladegheist Revenants

10 Bladegheist Revenants

Purple Sun

This gives me more bodies but less of a mobile spearhead. I'll probably try both of these down the line as I like all the models. Also, in a more casual setting I'd probably leave the Purple Sun at home for some Chainghasts(in the first list).

Thanks.

What do you guys think about having an extra spell as enhancement for warlord batallion and giving spectral tether to lady O? Tried out a list in a tournament and it didn't work bad after all. I've found it's not for alpha strike, but works very well mid game to snipe a hero or unit/take an objective

On 7/7/2022 at 10:10 AM, Fabbbio said:

What do you guys think about having an extra spell as enhancement for warlord batallion and giving spectral tether to lady O?

Spectral Tether is my go-to spell for Lady O. It's so versatile for her, I love it!

23 hours ago, Inferno said:

First list, was not competetive enough.
Second shot is:

Which spell for the GoS?

Edited by The_Dudemeister

5 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Nighthaunt won the World tSports Champions tournament with 16 players. 👏

Lady O and the Krulghast Cruciator lead the Grieving Legions with Kurdoss not far behind to carry their baggage. 50 Reapers, 10 Chainrasps, 3 Spirit Hosts, 5 Hexwraiths and 4 Banshees to rip and tear through the ghurish heartlands

Ronya has been smashing it.

Do note this was played under GHB 21.

I'll be interested to see where she goes with lists for the new season.

Played NH for the 1st time in a while last night and 1st time in the new season. I forgot how hard we hit. Wiped out a StD force in the 2nd turn playing turf war. Didn't like the mission and still really struggling to find a list I'm content with. Went with the following last night: 

- Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom

- Grand Strategy: Take What’s Theirs

- Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Guardian of Souls (150)

- General

- Command Traits: Master of Magic

- Chill Blade

- Artefacts of Power: Midnight Tome

- Spells: Seal of Shyish

Krulghast Cruciator (150)

- Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome

- Spells: Soul Cage

Spirit Torment (115)

Lady Olynder (340)

- Spells: Shademist

BATTLELINE

Bladegheist Revenants (350)

Spirit Hosts (125)

Hexwraiths (160)

Hexwraiths (160)

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

TOTAL POINTS: 1970/2000

Points to note - Purple Sun did sweet f.a. Gonna reconsider Endless Spells. 10 BGR die just as quick as 10 CRH. Why pay premium for this? Hex are immense. 20 BGR refuse to die and are so strong. Lady O does well but I'm always tempted to swap her for Kurdoss and use the extra points for something else. 

Thinking of just going all in on Hex moving forward. 

- Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom

LEADERS

Spirit Torment (115)

Guardian of Souls (150)

Krulghast Cruciator (150)

Lady Olynder (340)

BATTLELINE

Hexwraiths (160)

Hexwraiths (160)

Hexwraiths (160)

Spirit Hosts (125)

Bladegheist Revenants (350)

Hexwraiths (160)

OTHER

Myrmourn Banshees (105)

TOTAL POINTS: 1975/2000

8 hours ago, Boggler said:

I'm trying to be a better player, while not being able to play much. Here is the first video in my semi Vlog about taking Nighthaunt to an event this weekend. https://youtu.be/Hu7GX0YaSqY

Who am I top talk about Nighthaunt? No one really, but there is a lot of cool stuff out there and hopefully I can help someone (Anyone!) become a better player!

Hey, nice first go at it. I commented the same on the video itself.

I'm not able to offer more substantial feedback right now, I took a turn for the worse and am barely conscious right now, but it was nice to hear some NH content.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, EnixLHQ said:

Hey, nice first go at it. I commented the same on the video itself.

I'm not able to offer more substantial feedback right now, I took a turn for the worse and am barely conscious right now, but it was nice to hear some NH content.

Hey,

I really appreciate your feedback. You have done a ridiculous amount of work for the Nighthaunt community and the words you wrote before you lost consciousness really matter! If you watched until the end of the video then you probably fell asleep and I feel partially responsible for your condition.

But seriously, I hope you get well soon. We'll get the Nighthaunt banner waving again.

I played Scarlet Doom for a bit and my main takeaways are:

1. BGR die too quickly in 10s, are way too bulky in 30s but seem to do really well in 20s, my personal sweet spot. I‘d try out 15s though.

2. No single hero seems to be a must have, almost all of them are good. I really love that part. What what a wide variety!

3. Why are Hexwraiths so good in Scarlet Doom?? To me they‘re the perfect addition to BGRs yet they look *so* dated! What a waste.

21 hours ago, Sylio said:

Does the Reikenor condemned alegiance from Bel'akor book usable and valid today ?

I took a screenshot of this at the time of faq and errata release. Can't seem to find it again though so... who knows. 

Edit: huh, that's a pretty pixelated pic when uploaded. It basically says Broken Realms: Bel'akor still stands. 

Screenshot_20220710-082739_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by lare2
  • Like 1