Warhammer+ discussion

Lowki

How do you feel about Warhammer +?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Will you subscribe?

• No, definately not. It offers nothing or little that I am interested in
    • No definately not. It may have things I would like to have access to, but I don't like to be pressured into it by GW.
    • No, I would like to, but can't afford it
    • No, not for now, but I may change my mind when I have seen it
    • Yes, I have my doubts, but will give it a try
    • yes, because I feel I have no other choice when I want to keep playing the game
    • yes, I love it

I do think potentially Angels of Death should have released with a couple of episodes and Hammer & Bolter less. The quality of H&B isn’t quite there for me.

Angels of Death is a bit better (though I’m not keen on the style myself either really) but it’s cool to see these animated stories regardless.

I can understand AoS fans holding off. I don’t actually collect 40k or anything but I do enjoy some of the novels and lore so I’m happy enough.

Price for me personally isn’t an issue, I’ve got the money, I don’t mind signing up now for some of the perks and consuming content as it comes in. I was never expecting a trove of videos at the start.

If it doesn’t get better I’ll just cancel it. Maybe sign up periodically when there’s more to binge. If you’re not bothered about the models jumping on every few months to binge a few animations is probably a good shout.

Oh and not having a full screen button is pretty silly.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 2:44 PM, Marcvs said:

I am less appalled by them getting some rules wrong (there's a lot of rules and they need to play different armies). What I think they would need is a sort of disclaimer "these battle reports might contain the occasional rules mistake" because I can already see people referring to these as a sort of correct interpretation of certain rules, due to their "GW approved" label

Well if they don't have people there that know the basic rules, there is no excuse

You pay money to watch a game from the very people who made the rules, they should not need the disclaimer "because there are too many rules so not everything can be done right" (than write a game with less rules if you cannot remember them)

Do this with a football or hockey game and you won't see the fans going for "yeah too many rule for the players to remember, they can do nothing about that, game was still worth the money"

If GW is not able to deliver proper content, they should not ask or money in the first place. A free battle report on YT or Twitch with mistakes is ok, but not knowing their own game and ask people to pay for the video is something no one else would get away with

Edited by Kodos der Henker
  • Like 5

On 10/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Noserenda said:

Yeah who would have guessed the tiny initial offerings were front loading? :(

Overall, I do not think they quite understood or appreciated how much work there is behind battle reports and creating engaging continuous content. Like with lore videos, it is nothing more than reading from a wiki. No interesting insights or "wow, I didn't know that"-moments. Then battle reports with blatant rules issues... First impressions matters and the impression I'm getting is not a service worth paying for.

Had they gone with, "hey, this is a soft launch and for 6-12 months it is 100% free. We want to learn what you like and how to improve as a community. If you want to support us you can and you'll get this cool mini + this and that cool stuff (suitable for super-fans)", and then crank up content and quality the reception would have been so different. I know I would have been a lot more positive towards this initiative since in this way they wouldn't be splitting the community and creating an atmosphere of "are you in or out?"

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, they're offering "two free weeks" now - but it isn't actually a free two weeks at all. You still have to subscribe to a paying plan, and your credit card is still charged for the other half of the price of the first month. In other words, it's not even a typical "free trial" where you have to sign up to be charged at a future date if you don't cancel, you are charged upfront no matter what for the remainder of the month. 

Honestly I question whether this is even a legal advertising strategy. This very clearly is not a "free two weeks," it's a 50% discount on a one month subscription. The fine print says the reality, but the advertising copy prominently claims to be offering "two free weeks of access to Warhammer+" which is simply not true. It's like a grocery store advertising "free milk!" and then it turns out the milk is only free with a purchase of another carton of milk. There's a reason they have to say "buy one get one free," not just "free milk!"

But regardless of the legality, it's just a poor trick to try to pull on people. If what you're doing is giving 50% off the first month, just be honest about that in the advertising copy. It's still a benefit. There's no reason to try to oversell it in a misleading way. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1