Most efficient monster mash list?

So I currently have a couple AoS armies, Archaon Fist of the Everchosen and Hallowheart CoS.  I kind of want to get into a monster mash list but I don't want to do giants since we have two Sons players locally.  I know of Avengorii SBG, Gristlegore FEC, and Anvilgard CoS.  I'm not necessarily looking for the best, something just more a little more competitive and can possibly lead to other interesting army builds.  Is there a monster list I'm not seeing or any advice on which way to go forward with a MM list?

Gristelgore can be a lot of fun but also a bit of a one trick pony if you go all in.

My favorite Monster Mash list is probably Stonehorns and Thundertusks in Mawtribes.  Very easy and somewhat less expensive to build given start collecting and eBay but lots of different potential directions to take it.

If Rogue Idol wasn’t likely going away I’d also recommend the Pebbles and Bam Bam monster mash of him and a Mawcrusha or two.

Finally don’t have personal experience with it but Turtles and Sharks in IDK looks interesting.

An Avengorii Soulblight list could be strong, simply because you can afford a bunch of bodies to sit on objectives without significantly impacting your monster-bringing capabilities. That's not a perfect fit for the spirit of a monster mash list, but it's hard to argue with bringing a bunch of zombie dragons and terrorgheists and still having something like 80 bodies to camp objectives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Gristelgore can be a lot of fun but also a bit of a one trick pony if you go all in.

My favorite Monster Mash list is probably Stonehorns and Thundertusks in Mawtribes.  Very easy and somewhat less expensive to build given start collecting and eBay but lots of different potential directions to take it.

If Rogue Idol wasn’t likely going away I’d also recommend the Pebbles and Bam Bam monster mash of him and a Mawcrusha or two.

Finally don’t have personal experience with it but Turtles and Sharks in IDK looks interesting.

I forgot they buffed sharks and turtles, so that might be something worth looking into 

On 6/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Seraphon Steggageddon?  Myth or has anyone actually seen on tabletop?

Complete myth, as Stegadons had been out of stock for over 6 months before they announced the battletome and haven’t come back since (apart from the extremely limited Broken Realms battalion box)

[in New Zealand anyway] at least 2 years out of stock now 😥

however, i have messed around with that type of list using proxy’s and it’s probably my favourite style of Seraphon list

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

An Avengorii Soulblight list could be strong, simply because you can afford a bunch of bodies to sit on objectives without significantly impacting your monster-bringing capabilities. That's not a perfect fit for the spirit of a monster mash list, but it's hard to argue with bringing a bunch of zombie dragons and terrorgheists and still having something like 80 bodies to camp objectives.

Or you could be the coolest guy in the room and run just Nagash and three Terrorgheists/Zombie Dragons. You know, a small skirmish warband of four models for the skirmish game that is Warhammer: Age of Sigmar.

• Thanks 2

I know it might not be as big of a concern to everyone but I think BCR and Gristlegore take it simply because of cost and their ease to collect. Namely their components are in a start collecting box that also nets you their core troops. So with 3-4 start collecting you will get more or less what you need for your pure monster list but also have enough basic troops to run a more 'balanced' list. The important distinction is compared to other start collecting sets featuring monsters is that these two allow you to build them as troop choices that can be run as battle line and also as heroes. For example the Elven start collecting with the Hydra does not net you a monstrous hero and the Fyreslayers only provides a hero.  Whereas even if you are able to track down the admittedly awesome Seraphon Broken Realm box you will be limited in your ways to play. However, if you have limited hobby time or shelf and only want to do monsters than the start collecting route can let you sell the other troops or in the case of FEC use some them for basing fodder. Selling will help you recoup some of the finances as well so again these two seem like the best financial options.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to throw my hat for Slaves to Darkness into the ring! Despoilers offer healing to monsters, the chance to turn terrain into LoS-blockers as well as an increased buff bubble. We have access to Daemon Princes which are quite good units with the iniate ability to fight first. We have wizzards (CSLoM) that do some fair damage due to their mounts, we have a totem that comes handy in 3.0 (Warshrine), we have cool utility monsters (Tzeentch Tentacle thingy, Mindsphirax) and some nice brutes (with Soul Grinders and Slaughterbeasts as well as Formoid Crushers). And if you like big baddies we still have Archaon and Belakor. Only "downside" is the Battleline which is hard to be on theme (Althrough Gorebeast Chariots fit in my opinion)

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

4 Ghorgons, 6 Doombulls.

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO DISAGREE.  

Beastmen/BoC is the only faction worth considering for a monster mash.

These other thread posters will attempt to convince you there are other options with their fancy numbers, rules, arguments and reason.

It is all a distraction.

Take the Ghorgon pill and then eat everything else in your beefy path. 

• Haha 1