AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

2 hours ago, JCar09 said:

I would like to see a list that has won an important tournament. I am new to this army and the truth is that I have not seen any good position yet :(

Some cat went 5-0 no more than a month ago. Would have to find the video rob (Honest Wargamer) did with the guy on the interview and the winner discusses the winning list.

Edited by Sivyre

3 hours ago, JCar09 said:

I would like to see a list that has won an important tournament. I am new to this army and the truth is that I have not seen any good position yet :(

Best result that I'm aware of is Ellis Priestley going 4-1 at a big UK event (I believe it was War in the Heartlands), and I understand that his one defeat came down to a priority roll

His army was 2 Crocs, 2 Shammies, 2x 9 Boltboyz, 3 Boltboyz, 2x 20 Shootas

Supa Sneaky / Mork's Eye Pebble / Fast Un on the General Croc, comes in at 1960 and 2 drops

I don't know if this event publicized the scenarios ahead of the day, but it looks like it's set up well for contesting / dominating two objectives and largely ignoring the third.  Could handle a lot of other missions by attrition I guess

But yeah it's fair to say that their performance has been less than dominant so far

Edited by PlasticCraic

11 hours ago, JCar09 said:

The base for the armies that placed well so far is pretty much the same: 2-3 big units of boltboyz (9+9. 9+6, 6+6+6), a sludgeraker and 2 shamans. The rest is filled with screens and maybe another hero, but they all play pretty much the same: get into a good position with your boltboy castle and shoot the enemy to bits. 

The reason you don't see kruleboyz in good positions is because they just arent a great 5-0 army. Most armies on the top tables are stronger and some are just impossible match ups. 60-70 pinks getting bridged and auto charging turn 1 is unwinnable since we just don't have the raw damage output to kill 150 wounds quickly. LRL are also impossible since you can't hide the boltboyz and their threat range is near infinite. 

Here's a 22-man event with Kruleboyz finishing both 1st and 2nd: https://tabletop.to/yulearum-2021 

I'm curious also about the artillery unit. At first it was kind of the buzz going around, lots of lists with it, etc. It turns out that no lists have em, even tho the meta is currently full of big monsters (I could be wrong though). I dunno I would've expected to see lists with 1 at least. Is it because Boltboyz spam is just better and more reliable?

44 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I'm curious also about the artillery unit. At first it was kind of the buzz going around, lots of lists with it, etc. It turns out that no lists have em, even tho the meta is currently full of big monsters (I could be wrong though). I dunno I would've expected to see lists with 1 at least. Is it because Boltboyz spam is just better and more reliable?

More or less. The boltboyz receive buffs better so any list bringing shamans to envenom stuff wants boltboyz units, and the big gun is largely just inferior and swingy until you hit something of sufficient size. I think it started pulling ahead around 10 wounds which isn't ideal because it means they'll be spending a lot of the time shooting sub-optimal targets. The additional rend is nice but not critical when both weapons are trying to spike MWs anyway.

That's all for aimed shots, hasty shots on the killbow are just bad which means it's also less mobile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabbuk said:

Just to add to what @NauticalSoup around said. Its basically 130 points for a model that have 1 attack. If you get a 6 on the hit, great! It will deal a good amount of damage and do what you expected it to do. Anything other than a 6 is pretty bad, as the attack can simple miss and the unit does basically nothing until you get to your next turn. The boltboyz are more reliable with our buffs and also provide some bodies after they shoot.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, Arzalyn said:

Just to add to what @NauticalSoup around said. Its basically 130 points for a model that have 1 attack. If you get a 6 on the hit, great! It will deal a good amount of damage and do what you expected it to do. Anything other than a 6 is pretty bad, as the attack can simple miss and the unit does basically nothing until you get to your next turn. The boltboyz are more reliable with our buffs and also provide some bodies after they shoot.

Yeah the Killbow is very hit or miss. The amount of times I've rolled a 2 to wound. But I have had games where it's done well though, but Bolt-boyz are more reliable. It's something I take for fun now.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jabbuk said:

The others covered most of the points, I‘ll add one in defence of it.

It can serve as a distraction carnifex pretty well, for the same reasons it‘s a tad too unreliable. It‘s swinginess. As long as there is a big centerpiece, there is always the possibility for a lucky shot. Especially with a Shaman in range. (Your opponent doesn’t know what you‘ll buff until you do).
And in my experience most players don’t like that. 
So sometimes it can do stuff the boltboys can’t. But I‘d rather see it as a lucky out instead of a plan to build your game around.

Edited by Rachmani
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rachmani said:

The others covered most of the points, I‘ll add one in defence of it.

It can serve as a distraction carnifex pretty well, for the same reasons it‘s a tad too unreliable. It‘s swinginess. As long as there is a big centerpiece, there is always the possibility for a lucky shot. Especially with a Sludgeraker in range. 
And in my experience most players don’t like that. 
So sometimes it can do stuff the boltboys can’t. But I‘d rather see it as a lucky out instead of a plan to build your game around.

Also good to sit on an objective in your territory and provide a 9 inch radius to stop some summoning.

With the Killbow, I find it's important against some armies, and terrible against others. If your meta has at least a couple of the following, it does ok: Thunder Lizards, Sons of Behemat, Avengorii, Gristlegore, Stormdrake Guard Spam, Beastclaw Raiders, Ironjawz, Bloodthirster Spam, and so on and so forth. If you don't have a big monster it can shoot at for 2+ turns, it ain't worth it. That being said, against Sons of Behemat they're hilariously great, as if they wound and the Gargant flubs their save, you REALLY chunk them.

But, if there is 1 or 2 good targets for it, you can use the killbow to play mind games with your opponent's All-Out Defense for the turn, as they'll surely want to use it to try and block one very strong big hit, which might not even matter if you get the mortals, meaning that your Boltboyz have a softer target elsewhere. Not always the optimal strategy, but hey, it's a fun play.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 2:06 PM, Aztok said:

With the Killbow, I find it's important against some armies, and terrible against others. If your meta has at least a couple of the following, it does ok:

Yeah they are a tech piece you bring if you make a meta read and expect lots of monsters and gargants. They are like the Belcha-banna; nice to have in the roster to bring out in specific metas but has a lot match ups where they are just dead weight. Their main issue is that they are over-shadowed by boltboyz that kills monsters just fine but also kills everything else.

• Like 3

Hello,

What do you think about this army list

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
     - Army Type: Kruleboyz
     - Subfaction: Big Yellers
     - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
     - Triumph: Indomitable

LEADERS
Breaka-boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)
Gobsprakk (280)
     - Spells: Choking Mist
Swampcalla Shaman and Pot-grot (105)*
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Supa Sneaky
     - Artefacts of Power: Mork’s Eye Pebble

BATTLELINE
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
     - Wicked Stikka
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)*

ARTILLERY
1 x Beast-skewer Killbow (130)*

OTHER
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)*
3 x Rippa's Snarlfangs (70)*

CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

I'm not a big fan of Gobsprakk but we need monster... Maybe the generic one. Or rework the list for an Rogue Idol 🤔 

I can swap the balista for 1 more shaman or 1 more Hobgrot but i think the actual monster meta make a sense to take the balista.

1 hour ago, Zorki said:

I'm not a big fan of Gobsprakk but we need monster... Maybe the generic one. Or rework the list for an Rogue Idol 🤔 

I can swap the balista for 1 more shaman or 1 more Hobgrot but i think the actual monster meta make a sense to take the balista.

Gobsprakk is more of a utility piece, giving two spells and threatening mages if you are lucky. Do you want this kind of utility or you want the second monster just for combat? The killaboss version is better for combat, but if you don't need the extra 6" movement and fly, a second sludgeraker/skumdrekk would be a better monster than any of the vulture options in general.

I would suggest you change the boltboyz to a 9x and 3x units, to make better use of the shaman with him buffing a bigger unit.

Finally the mysterious model has been officially released and it is a Anniversary gutrippaz boss...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/03/celebrate-this-years-store-anniversaries-with-a-brand-new-inquisitor-and-gutrippa-boss/

Really cool model, but I wish it was something else than unit champion. We definitely could use another shaman model for example...

eWNPPIlVQgsWQlla.jpg

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Finally the mysterious model has been officially released and it is a Anniversary gutrippaz boss...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/03/celebrate-this-years-store-anniversaries-with-a-brand-new-inquisitor-and-gutrippa-boss/

Really cool model, but I wish it was something else than unit champion. We definitely could use another shaman model for example...

eWNPPIlVQgsWQlla.jpg

I know we all wanted that thing to be something other then an anniversary model but the fool that I am will still buy it

5 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

Really cool model, but I wish it was something else than unit champion.

Yeah when I first saw it I was pumped for a gutrippa support hero, something that gives them run and charge or pile in on death or something. Still an awesome model, bodes well for future kruleboyz models :).

9 hours ago, Zorki said:

Hello,

What do you think about this army list

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
     - Army Type: Kruleboyz
     - Subfaction: Big Yellers
     - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
     - Triumph: Indomitable

LEADERS
Gobsprakk (280)
Swampcalla Shaman and Pot-grot (105)*
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Supa Sneaky
     - Artefacts of Power: Mork’s Eye Pebble

BATTLELINE
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
     - Wicked Stikka

ARTILLERY
1 x Beast-skewer Killbow (130)*

OTHER
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)*
3 x Rippa's Snarlfangs (70)*

CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

Similar to the list I'll be trying next. Don't have the Vulture so I'm taking another Shaman, Murknob and Reinforce the Gutrippaz too (dropped the Killbow also)

I just wish Kruelboyz got another battleline unit. Either just make hobgrotz battleline, or add another cheap unit to make list building more exciting. The new unit can be weak, it just needed to be cheap to free up list building possibilites. So many cool heroes that are very hard to fit into a list, becuase there is just no space inbetween the buff pieces and the expensive gutrippaz.

I even like the gutrippaz, they can be realy strong in bulk and especially with buffs, but I just dont want 3 units of them. I guess as mentioned by everyone else that a point reduction also is a solution, but I'd rather like more options :)

Anyone played any lists with the mirebrutes and an allied Dankhold Throgboss? I guess big yellers and boltboyz behind as support is the best way to play such a list with heavy Throgg heroes as frontline 🤔

• Like 1

Hobgrotz should already satisfy the 'cheap' battleline option. They barely justify their inclusion in the army as is, battleline would remedy that.

Gutrippaz need to be more than expensive chaff who kinda sorta do something a bit, but only if you invest in a lot of them and support pieces for buffs.

• Like 3