AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

5 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

This opens up so many new possibilities for Vyrkos...how many Vargskyr and Blood-born are too many?

The Vargskyr definitely looks super tasty. I love the option of a fast, fighty unit with a built-in ward.

To Kastelai players: Sorry, but even though the Vargskyr and Bloodborn are VAMPIRES, they are also locked to VYRKOS and can't benefit from Might of the Crimson Keep.

• Sad 4

17 hours ago, Andalf said:

I gotta say man, I think this is the best list I’ve seen for AoS3 in general so far.  I would honestly go with the Fellbats and Burning Head over the Skeletons. I think the 10 man Skeleton squad just doesn’t have as much room to go somewhere that isn’t likely them just getting wiped or maybe speed bumping out of a grave.  Kastelai has the outflank option but Fellbats can go anywhere, they can double back to tag objectives really easily, generally out-chaff the chaff, and amongst the best of the now ubiquitous Unleash Hell counters for non-shooting armies (IMO).  The burning head might  do damage but zoning out areas and herding units around the table is one of the best uses for all endless spells in general, I think; especially for these faster cavalry forces, you do have good board and objective presence though so aiming for the Triumph at -20 points might actually be a good play.

Thanks, I'll report back on how it performs.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

OK, this is what has changed for us:

• Zombies units can in fact grow over their starting size (but not their maximum size, as per core rules).
  • You can no longer resurrect the same unit more than once with Endless Legions.
  • Avengorii monster mutations are now unique enhancements, so you can get extra mutations from core battalions.
  • Everyone (even unique characters) gets the number of spells you think they should: One by default, one more per enhancement. Unique characters can't take generic spells, though.
  • Nagash can no longer cast Mystic Shield multiple times, just Arcane Bolt.
  • Lauka Vai's command now needs line of sight.
  • The Vengorian Lord's command can only heal one unit, and it needs to have destroyed an enemy unit that turn.
  • Belladamma's Command now has an end condition (previously it just kept going, rules-as-written).
  • Kritza no longer multiplies upon death, you only get one Kritza at a time.
  • The Wight King command is now in the combat phase where it belongs (which makes it still bad because it can't stack with All-Out Attack).

I think this is the noteworthy stuff. The rest is just clarification to make things work like you thought they would, anyway.

A HUGE change is Endless Legion. It used to be only usable in OUR Battleshock phase. Now it is usable in both our and the opponents battleshock phase. Effectively now doubling the amount of summonable units we can bring back.

Also the indivual points for the Cursed City stuff is amazing! Only gripe is like @Neil Arthur Hotep mentioned, they won't get leveled up in Kastelai. Oh well a small gripe.

Edited by BaylorCorvette
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Thanks, I'll report back on how it performs.

A HUGE change is Endless Legion. It used to be only usable in OUR Battleshock phase. Now it is usable in both our and the opponents battleshock phase. Effectively now doubling the amount of summonable units we can bring back.

Oh wow, I completely missed that. That's a massive boon to SUMMONABLE heavy lists.

1 minute ago, Tizianolol said:

Nothing about blood knights, we definitly can use special move and after charge?

Yes, it is based on core rules. no further errata is necessary for that

• Like 1

Just now, Obeisance said:

How are Soulblight looking post FAQ?

I play OBR and I'm thinking of picking up an army that works properly in V3.

The Soulblight battletome just keeps getting better. It was solid on release, mostly benefitted from AoS 3 changes and now got a few extra options in the FAQ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obeisance said:

How are Soulblight looking post FAQ?

I play OBR and I'm thinking of picking up an army that works properly in V3.

Very solid. They were fat middle in 2.0 rule sets. But now with all other factions taking a hit on points and with the way core rules changed (now Blood Knights can retreat and charge more or less) they are a solid faction.  Further, the gravesites aren't actually terrain so they cannot be destroyed.

Huh, good to hear. If you were looking at building a competitive SB list, what would you run?

Can I get a couple samples of lists people would run vs all-comers?

I'm either gonna buy a Dominion box tomorrow, or.. probably SB stuff.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Huh, good to hear. If you were looking at building a competitive SB list, what would you run?

Thanks!

There are a few ways you can go. People have been sharing a lot of pretty solid looking lists in this thread if you want to read back a bit.

Generally, Blood Knights are probably the strongest unit in the book, and Kastelai is the allegiance that supports them the best.

Vyrkos dynasty is another strong option if you want to go more towards a horde style with many support heroes. They have some stand out command traits, allegiance abilities and easy access to multiple generals.

The strongest option is probably to do a mix between elite and horde units. You can easily run 3x5 properly supported blood knights and still bring 60-80 more bodies in battleline.

Basically all named characters are good, especially if you run them in their own lineage.

8 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Thanks!

If you look at my post a page back, I listed a Kastelai list I will be running at a tournament in a week. I ran a similar list in a tournament last month and finished Second overall, but that was 2.0 rules & points when SBGL was in a weaker state than it currently is.

• Thanks 1

Just have to say it's pretty nice to see all that all the Soulblight players are excited for the next edition, the cheers on the separation of the court on facebook was great to see, picked it up myself now. Personally, I wish that the future battletomes for 3.0 to be around Soulblight's level, for me, it hits the right spot of strong and not overbearing, flavourful and not boring. *coughslaaneshcough*

Edited by shinros
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Do SB have any really bad matchups?

How do they fare into Lumineth, Kharadrons, Seraphon?

Too early to say for sure. In general, Soulblight has no notable shooting units, but does have a few pieces of anti-shooting tech in Belladamma Volga with her Lycancurse spell, Fell Bats for fast flying chaff, off-board deployment for deep strikes and ambushing and lots of wizards to cast Ghost Mist. Oh, and free potential resurrection every Battleshock phase I suppose.

With the cursed city boys being separated does anybody see any new synergies coming from it? I haven't had a chance to dive into their warscrolls to see what they do but vargskyrs look awesome. I might even end up making a few character heavy vyrkos lists to play in more friendly games rather than bringing my kastelai lists.

you can roll for endless legions in both players battleshock phases, however destroyed units can only be replaced once, and destroyed replacement units cannot themselves be replaced.  Still probably a positive change overall, but maybe not by as much as you'd first imagine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

I was watching Facehammer recently (tbh they sparked my curiosity towards Soulblight) and they were talking about 5*5 Knights, Lord on Dragon, foot hero, bats, as a competitive list.

I think they’re likely on the right track if you’re looking to win tourneys(or place highly).  I feel like that’s probably a bit oppressive for LGS play

29 minutes ago, stus67 said:

With the cursed city boys being separated does anybody see any new synergies coming from it? I haven't had a chance to dive into their warscrolls to see what they do but vargskyrs look awesome. I might even end up making a few character heavy vyrkos lists to play in more friendly games rather than bringing my kastelai lists.

Certainly very nice for Vyrkos players.  Even other dynasties might like the Vargskyr as a cheap monster option in the new matched play season.  I could see running 2-3 of them even.  Or running a couple allied in Nighthaunt armies which otherwise don't have much for monsters.

EDIT: shoot, the vargskyr isn't a monster.  Darn.  I could have sworn it was.  Oh, well.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

I’ve ran the Cursed City in 2 or 3 games and had a blast, I just always thought either Halgrim or Gorslav never had a good set of units to support.  This is actually the best change so far because I love Gorslav and the Kosargi’s and really think this makes the Zombie horde I was originally interested in possible.  Gogo 60 Levitating Zombies!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sception said:

Certainly very nice for Vyrkos players.  Even other dynasties might like the Vargskyr as a cheap monster option in the new matched play season.  I could see running 2-3 of them even.  Or running a couple allied in Nighthaunt armies which otherwise don't have much for monsters.

Sadly the Vargskyr does not have the monster keyword.

4 minutes ago, Sception said:

yeah, I caught that shortly after posting.  Such a shame, I was really hype for a moment.

I was also under the impression that it was a monster. Bit of a shame, but still a cool model and decent beatstick.