Alternative Miniatures?

So I want to use alternative Daughters of Khaine miniatures to start an army. They are 1-1 comparable and should have no issues distinguishing them from other minis. I know I can't use them at a Gamesworkshop store or event but for local events and games would they be acceptable?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Logibear94 said:

So I want to use alternative Daughters of Khaine miniatures to start an army. They are 1-1 comparable and should have no issues distinguishing them from other minis. I know I can't use them at a Gamesworkshop store or event but for local events and games would they be acceptable?

If you know which events take place locally you can search for their packs for past editions and/or contact the organisers.

Experiences on this vary from place to place.

Where I play,  main tournaments are in generally "GW only" even though they are not organised in a GW store or similar. Smaller events are sometimes more flexible but not always, as putting a "GW only" rule reduces the decisions to make for the TO. Many of those who accept proxys/ third party minis require you to still have the original model to check for LoS.

Friendly games depend entirely on the person you are playing with ofc. In my experience people are fine with third party minis as long as they are close to the units you want to use them for

Thank you for the comment. Unfortunately I am less likely to get into the hobby using the original miniatures. My biggest issue is the faces of the daughters of Khaine. They look like drag queens and it's really not the aesthetic I was going for. I do appreciate the comment Marcvs.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Logibear94 said:

Thank you for the comment. Unfortunately I am less likely to get into the hobby using the original miniatures. My biggest issue is the faces of the daughters of Khaine. They look like drag queens and it's really not the aesthetic I was going for. I do appreciate the comment Marcvs.

I feel your pain, I generally hate the "GW only" rule when the event is not in a shop or sponsored.

That being said, head swaps are generally accepted everywhere, so if it's only faces you could combine GW models with alternative heads from other producers (of course, it makes the whole thing even MORE expensive, so it might not be very tempting). I do this for basically all my Stormcasts and I never got a problem with it in tournaments or even playing in a GW store.

Gw never have done any woman pretty or sexy, every woman model is a men with long hair 

Dok wyches are the more close to a normal woman that gw never have done.

Usually the solution for proxy is ask to you rival. But out of gw stores usually nobody gonna stop you of use any girl with two daggers as a wych

3 hours ago, Logibear94 said:

To be fair I bought a few DoK recently and the faces are all just normal women faces but the way GW paints them is shocking, they only know how to paint male faces and it shows. 

I'm a pretty crappy painter but my wife, who once upon a time went to beauty school and is still really into makeup, showed me some makeup tutorials and talked me through how you would normally apply makeup highlights to accentuate a woman's face and following that highlight pattern the faces stayed normal, pretty female faces (even if I'm painting my DoK to be more demonic looking) 

I've included a photo of 2 test models, one finished and one I'm working on, there badly painted but you can still see how much more feminine they look compared to GW's paint job and any painter better than I (so most) can really work with them well

IMG_20210325_222642.jpg

IMG_20210325_222713.jpg

Screenshot_20210325_223708.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Logibear94 said:

If you want a lot of faces, one cheap option is Frostgrave Wizards 2, giving 40 female heads (and 8 bodies) for €13-15. If you want more soldiery heads, the Soldiers 2 give as many heads, but less diverse and more expensive (but with 20 bodies).

But I do agree that the paintjobs and the sculpts are not the same.

Absolutely disagree with Doko that all GW females are too masculine. Not all sculpts are good, but it's more often due to forced "fantasy novel cover" poses than lack of femininity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattrulesok said:

To be fair I bought a few DoK recently and the faces are all just normal women faces but the way GW paints them is shocking, they only know how to paint male faces and it shows. 

I'm a pretty crappy painter but my wife, who once upon a time went to beauty school and is still really into makeup, showed me some makeup tutorials and talked me through how you would normally apply makeup highlights to accentuate a woman's face and following that highlight pattern the faces stayed normal, pretty female faces (even if I'm painting my DoK to be more demonic looking) 

I've included a photo of 2 test models, one finished and one I'm working on, there badly painted but you can still see how much more feminine they look compared to GW's paint job and any painter better than I (so most) can really work with them well

IMG_20210325_222642.jpg

IMG_20210325_222713.jpg

Screenshot_20210325_223708.jpg

Wow that is a stark difference from GWs normal paint job. Do you have some links for the makeup tutorials? Those sound like a great resource.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

If you want a lot of faces, one cheap option is Frostgrave Wizards 2, giving 40 female heads (and 8 bodies) for €13-15. If you want more soldiery heads, the Soldiers 2 give as many heads, but less diverse and more expensive (but with 20 bodies).

But I do agree that the paintjobs and the sculpts are not the same.

Absolutely disagree with Doko that all GW females are too masculine. Not all sculpts are good, but it's more often due to forced "fantasy novel cover" poses than lack of femininity.

So I could do head swaps but there are some amazing alternative Daughters of Khaine out there. Raging Miniatures is one and heck there are really nice snake women on etsy. But if I can make the GW faces work I'm gonna go for that.

49 minutes ago, Logibear94 said:

Wow that is a stark difference from GWs normal paint job. Do you have some links for the makeup tutorials? Those sound like a great resource.

I dont remember the video but if you look up contouring that's the technique for make up where you add highlights and shadows to heighten the shapes of your face. You can see the idea in this pic from Google, I've also drawn up a basic idea of the shapes on 2 identical egg faces

Hopefully that helps, you should be able to see even from these 2 photos how GW highlight there women's faces like mens

images (9).jpeg

IMG_20210326_010003.jpg

Edited by Mattrulesok
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Mattrulesok said:

I dont remember the video but if you look up contouring that's the technique for make up where you add highlights and shadows to heighten the shapes of your face. You can see the idea in this pic from Google, I've also drawn up a basic idea of the shapes on 2 identical egg faces

images (9).jpeg

IMG_20210326_010003.jpg

Thank you for this I'll be sure to use it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Logibear94 said:

So I could do head swaps but there are some amazing alternative Daughters of Khaine out there. Raging Miniatures is one and heck there are really nice snake women on etsy. But if I can make the GW faces work I'm gonna go for that.

I myself don't like Raging Heroes. Escher is about as far as I like, and those primarily for the '80's punk look. But my taste need not be yours.

I'd first try to see if you can do a better job painting the face. Also note that an exaggerated, theater or almost drag look could work better on the table, because you could lose subtleties when the face gets smaller.

Essentially, the considerations a theater has also apply to miniatures on the table, with the complication that people are more prone to picking up a Warhammer model and looking at the face at 5cm than do the same to an actor.

There are a couple views on this.  Any tournament with legit GW support could put a kibosh on it.

To (mis)quote the great Laura Dern in Twin Peaks The Return "IT'S A F******* TOY".  

If people in your local scene have issues they are a bit uptight and I'm sorry it puts you in a bind.  Hobbies are pricy and GW screwed the pooch on pricing those models and refuse to fix the mistake.  

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack the thread, but from experience, how permissive is GW of 3rd party headswaps. I've done a rather large amount on conversion work on my army and it would be a shame to be barred out of GW tournaments for it. The vast majority of the model is GW, but the heads are sometimes 3d printed 

20210321_181634.jpg

20210224_155247.jpg

20210223_170315.jpg

• Like 1

Like others have said its kind of a case by case basis. At independent game stores as long as alternative miniatures are clear in what they represent then you'll most likely be fine.

And in regards to GW stores, my local shop is pretty cool with stuff like that. Alternative parts and heads are fine, and the manager even let someone use 3rd party flesh hounds and just asked they they didn't post pictures of them in use in the store. The company line is probably more strict but the managers seem to have some wiggle room, especially the one man stores.  

Its probably safe to say that the more "official" the store or event the more strict they'll be on the 100% GW issue. 

• Like 1