Sylvaneth - Broken Realms Wishlist

Arzalyn

2 minutes ago, Fyrm said:

Fair. Neither of the other BR books seem to have much connection to Soulbound that I know of, but fair. 

Shadows in the Mist really focus on how the Blackscale Coil and their infiltration of Anvilgard, the city guide also expands on many locations mentionend in BR:Morathi. There is quite an overlap between the two. Settler's Gain was also mentionend in Champions of Order before the BR Short Story was released. 

On 3/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Fyrm said:

the main argument I saw for a BR:Allarielle was that the series was going to be focused around each Aelven god, but Be’lakor kinda raises a question mark to that statement. Sure, the initial information seemed to point that way, but that doesn’t mean it is the case. 

Was this confirmed?  I haven't followed it in depth just loosely.  

I guess what I'm asking is was this internet chatter or an official GW comment?  I would love for an Alarielle book.  I fully agree we are in dire need for a refocus on the army.  Maybe we'll get Tree Rev archers akin to Slaanesh Blissbarb archers.  

There is a lot in the book I would like to see fixed.  I don't want Sylvaneth to be "an elite army that is hard to play."  That damages the community as new players will get turned off from the game.  regular casual players will also be turned off.   Playing the army in an elite manner should be an extension of the base of the army.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

- I think sylvaneth's power should be that they force the opponent to spread out, and then attack them where they've spread too thin. I'm okay with them not winning a straight fight, and not being too good in long-ranged combat. This requires high mobility. I'd dare say that they should be able to teleport to woods within 3'' of opponents, or even combat range. This does assume that there would be a hard limit on wyldwoods. Sylvaneth should be all about that wood placement. 

- I think the goal shouldn't be having as much forests as possible on the field, except perhaps as a trait for a glade such as Harvestboon to accomodate people who have bought 7 sets. I'd be okay with laying down 2 or 3 forests at the start of the game (without too much restrictions. This would represent the fact that the sylvaneth have weakened, and are protecting what they have left. It would fit if obstacles would be replaced, or can simple be surrounded by a forest. The forest existed before the obstacles, or the forest has overgrown it) Furthermore, it would enable GW to make the forests much stronger, and balance around the fact that forests will always be present 

- I'd also like alarielle to be at a high point power-house level, I'd rather she'd be stronger and didn't have the summon. I'm also okay with her being relatively fragile to spike damage compared to other gods - her deal should be massive healing for herself and your army. If you don't manage to take her out, you're starting all over again. She does need some more protection though against ranged/mortal wounds

- Tree rev's should be more elite - more damage and perhaps 2 wounds- & cost more point. Flavorwise, I'd love if their realmroot navigation would enable them to attack opponents close to forests as if they are in melee as long as they are close to another forest, or something like teleporting after fighting. This would represent them flickering in and out of combat. It would also explain their effectives in combat, even if they remain very fragile in direct combat. 

- forests only block for the opponent, also when flying. 

- TLA has more potent magic - they are ancient forest spirits & leaders of clans. 

- Kurnoth spam shouldn't be the way to go.

- I like that dryads are conditionally strong in the sense that they are not fighters, but are fanatic in their defense of their forests. 

If I could change one single thing- Allow verdant blessing to be used on a destroyed wyldwood to restore it. It’s a bit niche, and admittedly not something I’ve encountered in real life yet (due to a lack of games). But it seems to me these abilities disproportionately affect syvaneth, especially as if you lose one, not only is that area blocked but your wood is still technically on the table so you can’t even replace it elsewhere. 

Edited by Azamar
Typo

Agree with a lot of everyone’s wishlisting already! Here’s what I’ve been hoping

- Rewrite “Places of Power” Ability to all Sylvaneth units in the battleshock phase take a battleshock test and on a 1, heal/return d6 wounds when wholly within 8” of a WW

- Rewrite Alarielle  (she needs to fight with her spear in combat) bring her pts down at make her a powerhouse 

- TLA to be a 2 cast

- Rewrite Treelord 

- Bow Hunters an additional shot

- TRevs to hit on 3s 

- Rewrite Branchwych to be a cleric of sorts

- Rewrite Ironbark (army ignore -1 rend when charged)

- Rewrite Oakenbrow (ignore BS when near TLs)

- WW to give all Sylvaneth cover when wholly within 3”

- New “working” battalions 

thank you for listening to my TED Talk

Imho, first thing to do about a faction that is based around their terrain set is to make their terrain a "garrison". And then polish garrison rules and make abilities based on that.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:00 AM, Abstract_duck said:

-forests only block for the opponent, also when flying. 

Not sure about that, it means to be inmune to 80% of Kharadron Overlords 😒

So while we didn't get a broken realms Alarielle (at least based in what we know so far), we will be getting something in Broken Realms: Kragnos (apparently, the article doesn't state in which book our new revenant is debuting):
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/04/26/meet-the-musicians-who-bring-life-to-the-mortal-realms/

So any wishes for our new hero? I doubt just one new warscroll will fix much, but at least it give us hope of other changes coming with it!

Now that we saw Teclis and Be'lakor book, I wouldn't expect changes in allegiances abilities. New subfactions and warscrolls changes seems to be the safe beat.

Well, “cause the land to come alive” feels like maybe they might have some sort of “target terrain becomes woods” ability. Maybe. A bit of a long shot, but a hope. Probably at least something to help with the woods problems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fyrm said:

Well, “cause the land to come alive” feels like maybe they might have some sort of “target terrain becomes woods” ability. Maybe. A bit of a long shot, but a hope. Probably at least something to help with the woods problems. 

This has been my "design fix wish" for a while now - refocus Sylvaneth as the "board control through terrain manipulation" army, and allow that to work both on boards with lots of terrain (with this effect) and boards with very little terrain (by summoning Wyldwoods as normal). The only other thing I'd want is to be able to reliably apply these effects. To that end, I'd go so far as to suggest that a "you can freely place 1 Wyldwood or convert 1 existing terrain piece each Round" army ability is not out of the question, considering how mediocre our warscrolls are by themselves.

I think where Sylvaneth can gain some identity is the ability to be the healing army.  And not just recovering lost wounds, the ability to “heal” a wound at full health would increase your wound characteristic.  How cool would this be?  One of the problems with Sylvaneth healing is that it’s too little too late. Sure I can play Gnarlroot but the free heal on successful cast is essentially worthless as a Treelord/Durthu gets melted by anything on the table.  

New allegiance ability

New magic

New battalions

New kits:

1) New tree-revenants dualkit (great weapon/bows)

2) Spite swarm dualkit (support flying swarm/aggressive ground swarm)

3) Kurnoth hunter hero with spear( range attack, 2 melee profiles)

4) Big behemoth butterfly dualkit (big magic butterfly/big battle butterfly)

5) Butterfly riders dualkit (tree-revenants on butterflies with swords/bows)

I just wish for my old wood elf gang to be back together.  Living city almost gets me there but it doesnt synergize with forests, without the forest many of the sylvaneth units are handicapped/overpriced, it has difficulty deploying forests and those forests hinder the other 3/4 of the army. 

I would like something that is closer to 50/50 and gives the wanderers/city units sylvaneth keywords.

• Like 2