The moment you realize you might actually suck at this hobby :P

PiotrW

13 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Wait. You built the whole SCE half of Soul Wars in 3 hours? Seriously, how did you do that? It'd take me 3 hours just to cut all the parts from the sprues... Then, another a few hours to wash them. And probably 3 to 6 hours to assemble everything... Not to mention, I'm wary of cutting parts for too many models at the same time, as I'm worried I'll end up mixing them up. Overall, it seems like something that would take me at least a few days, if I pushed myself to really assemble all of these models together.

to be fair, they are all Easy to Build so i'm sure that cut off a couple hours ;) but once I got into the groove of it, they went pretty quick regardless. I didn't glue the pegs in to make painting easier, same with shields and some weapons. After assembling guardsmen back in 5th ed this was a cakewalk lol

13 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Then, another a few hours to wash them

10 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

There was no resin in the early years of LotR so I don't think that was it, although it is entirely possible I'm just misremembering.

we haven't been recommended to wash sprues since resin/metal (mostly) went away.  LOTR had (has?) a bunch of metal so that's probably what it was

8 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

my models keep breaking in transport, enough said.

have you looked into magnetized cases? I haven't made one yet but they look simple enough to do

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-fabricator-general-how-to-build-a-carrying-case/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/9i4bo4/diy_magnetic_storagetransport_tray_for_under_20/

15 hours ago, Ggom said:

Plastic doesn’t need to be washed, FYI. There’s no issue with release agents, so you can prime them once you cut them off the sprue.

Hmmmmmmm. Alright, now I feel a bit stupid :) I've always heard that whatever the material, washing parts is a sensible thing to do...

One solution that just hit me: why the heck not wash the whole sprues, *then* cut the pieces out? I'd be quicker and would spare me the problem of organizing the parts correctly during washing...

9 hours ago, Bayul said:

Bro.

What? :D

3 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

to be fair, they are all Easy to Build so i'm sure that cut off a couple hours ;) but once I got into the groove of it, they went pretty quick regardless. I didn't glue the pegs in to make painting easier, same with shields and some weapons. After assembling guardsmen back in 5th ed this was a cakewalk lol

Still... I'm impressed!

15 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

And if you aren't interested in building your own case, you can always try buying one... like, say, one of the A-Case variants. I have two of these and they are amazing (if quite expensive).

23 hours ago, PiotrW said:

I know, right?!? 😵 Maybe things got a little out of hand...

Yeah, maybe it's time to channel some Marie Kondo again...

BTW. Painting one guy a day? I *assemble* one guy a day... 😵

When I met my wife i sold half my armies and I would be happy selling more.  GW does a pretty good job shaking things up.

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

Hmmmmmmm. Alright, now I feel a bit stupid :) I've always heard that whatever the material, washing parts is a sensible thing to do...

One solution that just hit me: why the heck not wash the whole sprues, *then* cut the pieces out? I'd be quicker and would spare me the problem of organizing the parts correctly during washing

Why not washing the assembled models?

Try to focus on one thing at a time, or dedicate a schedule and stick to it - this works for me, since I have a limited amount od time I can set aside for the hobby. I usually assemble all my models fairly quickly - because I want to use them in my games, but painting is something that I struggle with.

I usually set aside some time for building miniatures each day - for example 30 - 45 minutes (or more, depending on how much time you have).  You could usually build 2 - 4 smaller models during this interval (Space Marines, Dryads, Bloodletters, etc.), or one bigger model (Skullcrusher, Kurnoth Hunter or something similar). This way, I usually complete full unit in a few days. Or, if it is one of the bigger kits (Alarielle, Lord of Change, Bloodthirsters, etc.), you can build it over a few such "assembly sessions". Find the schedule that works for you (it does not need to be every day - it could be 30 - 35 minutes every other day) and stick to it. After a few weeks, you may easily assemble all of your models! Just last week, I have assembled 3 Kurnoth Hunters, 5 Tree-Revenants, Branchwych, 10 Chaos Warriors, 5 Chaos Knights and Chaos Lord on Karkadrak - all this during my son's afternoon naps :) 
Also, it is a good idea to kep your tools close: I usually pack my scalpel, cutters and glue in a small box and have it in my drawer, so I can easily find everything I need in one place.

I have mentioned that I struggle with painting a lot more than with assembling. Because of this, I have set up some small goals for this year: I want to paint my 4 remaining Varanguard in order to finish an Everchosen army, and I want to try alternate colour scheme for the Sylvaneth Warcry warband. These are my primary goals for this year, when it comes to paining (and I keep them small on purpose, because I know what is realistic for me and what not). I know Sylvaneth should go fast ( because I have already painted over 3500 points of Sylvaneth :D ), but Varanguard are much harder to paint for me. However, I have several armies for both AOS and 40K and not all of them are fully painted. These unpainted armies are creating "psychological pressure" (at least in my case) because I see work that was started, but never finshed. And if there is a lot of unpainted models and limited amount of time, you start asking yourself questions like "How in the world am I going to paint all this?" or "Maybe it was a mistake to buy all these things?". If you can afford it, find someone who can paint your armies for you - that saved me a lot of time and it's a huge relief! And, when you know that some of your armies are fully painted, you can focus on models that you really enjoy painting (in my case, i enjoy painting AoS armies much more than 40K armies, so my Necrons and CSM were painted for me).

Also, it really helps if you plan your purchases. It helped me a lot when I realized which armies I really like and what models I want to use  in them. I sold everything else and focused purely on stuff that I really enjoy/want to play with.

Edited by Painbringer
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

A bottleneck for me is priming. The spray primer seems to not like to be used when it’s cold outside, and I won’t use it indoors. How do you prime in winter?

A cheap airbrush absolutely changed the hobby for me because of this.

Priming is now quicker, easier, cheaper and then you have all the the normal benefits of having an airbrush on top of that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

A cheap airbrush absolutely changed the hobby for me because of this.

Priming is now quicker, easier, cheaper and then you have all the the normal benefits of having an airbrush on top of that.

you still do it outside right? I'm with @Beastmaster so I just wait until Spring to prime everything I've built in fall/winter. especially with pets, I don't ever want aerosolized paint in my house

On 1/15/2021 at 8:36 AM, Beastmaster said:

A bottleneck for me is priming. The spray primer seems to not like to be used when it’s cold outside, and I won’t use it indoors. How do you prime in winter?

I've not had problems with spray primer even in cold conditions as long as the spray can itself is warm enough. Since priming a few models only takes a few minutes, warming my spray primer up in warm water before stepping outside works fine. The paint dries normally even in cold temperatures.

Or just get an airbrush and prime inside if you have the space.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

• 2 weeks later...

I wash all my plastic models before priming, but I wash them on the sprue. I think Army Painter has a pamphlet that tells you to wash before priming.

As for having too many models, I’ve paid a local player to build and paint several of my models.  And for inspiration, my husband and I occasionally schedule a “mega-battle” with all painted models a couple of months out. And then we focus on those armies, trying to build and paint as much as possible. 

Edited by Angela
I forgot to reply to the main subject!

Wargaming is really a composite hobby: collecting, assembly/modeling/conversion, painting, gaming, competitive gaming, planning, storing, consuming lore, writing lore, homebrew, club organization, content creation, content consumption, etc.

If you're a collector, having a closet full of unopened boxes isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't know when I'll get around to painting my unopened Dreadfleet box, but when that day comes it's gonna be lit!

• Like 1