2021 death previews

Sception

There's a new teaser video up from GW for some 2021 releases.  You can see it here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/01/01/new-year-preview-sample-the-decadent-delights-2021-has-in-store/

Some of it is clearly death themed, in particular this... maybe zombie, maybe ghoul pirate/barbarian looking fellow?

image.png.c02da9a41e1df26d01e20c271fc22040.png

image.png.ed2fe233496998aa3932569945a5eba1.png

There's also this shield & cape that looks very undeadish.  Similar aesthetic style to deathrattle stuff, particularly the boss of the underwords skeleton team.  Very much feels like some sort of classic undead to me - ie, not nighthaunt & not OBR - but without seeing any of the actual body behind that cape I couldn't say

image.png.87d09891bc54b03ee90c1a91c54a5d56.png

also, while this next pic is clearly not an undead model, the wooden stakes and hammer to drive them in make this model obviously some sort of vampire hunter.  And not a stormcast model either, possibly some new  Cities of Sigmar thing?  Whatever it's for, you don't have vampire hunters without vampires, so here's another sign that we may be seeing something significant for soulblight this year:

image.png.3c9ef2cfca30e32392edf898921c710d.png

not much to go on, but it's something at least.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

My money's now on Dragur, based vaguely off Scandinavian folklore regarding drowned sailors, as well as the older belief of, "the draugr's motivation was primarily jealousy and greed. Greed causes it to viciously attack any would-be grave robbers, but the draugr also expresses an innate jealousy of the living stemming from a longing for the things of life which it once had." World of Warcraft ran with a very similar concept.

90f70bdfae6e7c79bd0ee708c9ccb47c.jpg693605-kvaldir-beserker.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

I was burned by overhyped assumptions several times in 2020

Know the feeling. I remember being super pumped for OBR. They really are not my thing though and I was pretty deflated when they came out. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

I can't tell whether these vampire models or the ghoul/ Dragur models are the warband and which one is the potential new AOS army.  Both have had their fair share of rumor mill images.

I get the impression that the Halloween rumor mill connects to these zombies/ghouls/dragurs

haloween-rumor-engine.jpg

I'd call the Soulblight and the Skeleton being the Underworlds March Warband, where as the the Halloween Preview, as well as this Ogre/Draugr/Orruk looking fellas being a part of the wider AOS side of the release.

Imo AOS box release will be heavily Deadwalker themed - focus on Flesh Golems, Zombies, Alternative 'Undead' (Ogre Zombie Elites, more Zombie Monsters)

If I'm wishlisting, Werewolves.

Give us at least one Werewolf hero - bring back Skin Wolves as a Death unit - update Dire Wolves - lemme build a doggo army

Warcry Catacombs definitely leads to a couple of specific 'undead' warbands and monsters too - to fill out other gaps that exist. Could see Varghulf's updated model being through Warcry.

The Vampire Hunter is definitely making me err on the side of Warhammer Quest, however why have a Vampire Hunter if they're going against Maritime Ghouls/Dragur/Whatever? Unless it is Vampirates (ugh) but the previewed chap having a pistol in his other hand makes me doubt they are, since he looks a bit too 'dignified' in pose to not be a commander of some stripe. Meanwhile, we've seen a few duellist-style previews, which the Underworlds silhouette seems to support. 

I don't think it's War Cry just because the naval-theme wouldn't really fit the Allpoints imo.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:45 AM, lare2 said:

As cool as these are looking, my money's on this being an Underworlds crew. 

Sadly, I think you're spot on. That shade of red is veeeery GW_vampire-like, and it's obviously quite tough to guess what the model is given the few pics we have as we speak, but... yeah, I'm not very hopeful. 

I know there's lot of hype about potential vampirates (although I never quite understood where the heck the hype came from... if it's from the rumor engine, it's rather pointless in my opinion... happy to be corrected, though!) but that's not my thing. New deadwalkers? Maybe - we shall see. The current zombie kit is awful, but so are the current rules for them, so if we get new deadwalkers I hope we'll get new rules for them as well.

And yes, the witch hunter definitely suggest this has little to do with an actual new faction... well, a man can hope, I suppose.

Also, happy new year, folks! 

On 1/3/2021 at 2:26 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

The Vampire Hunter is definitely making me err on the side of Warhammer Quest ... 

Has there been any confirmation of a Death/Vamp Hunter Warhammer Quest game coming out then? Something like a Death Silver tower?

I had a skim through the Rumour Mill but couldn't find much.

I have pretty much been an Aelf player through and through, but would totally be on the Corpse Cart [hype-train] for some zombies and/or vamps.

...Mainly zombies! ...or very few vampire leaders with zombies as core!

49 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Has there been any confirmation of a Death/Vamp Hunter Warhammer Quest game coming out then? Something like a Death Silver tower?

I had a skim through the Rumour Mill but couldn't find much.

No proof, more guess work based on what we know.

It's not an Underworlds Warband because we've already seen the symbols for those releasing this year - in theory, the vampiric skull symbol could be representing HUNTERS and not the Vampires themselves, but the red background makes me doubt that, as well as the duellist silhouette seemingly having more flamboyant hair than the typically pragmatic hunters.

War Cry seems unlikely as the game is themed more specifically around Allpoints which is very much the domain of Chaos, not Death/vampires.

Witch Hunters seem like more of a 'generic' fit for Cities of Sigmar, as well as being very iconic to the Warhammer brand, unlike vampire hunters.

The New York Time Faire is usually around February which is when their spin-off board games such as Warhammer Quest get shown off. and Blackstone Fortress wrapped up a while ago.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 1

It certainly shows that the fancy sword hilt previews we saw earlier were a vampire thing and not an elf thing, though it also makes them an underworlds release which may or may not filter into a proper AoS faction later on.  Hard to say more than that from the silhouette, but I do like the overall vibe of it.

17 minutes ago, El Syf said:

I pray to Nagash they have hair!

Manfred even had hair once upon a time. Although I think they actually did explain that in lore as a by product of his resurrection after the battle of Hel Fenn. 

Yeah, vampires that have a balance between monstrous features and being able to pass for human would be nice to have again.