The Painting Contract - January 2021

TheOtherJosh

So, my last post was relatively optimistic, but last week was in the vein of 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Initially, I made some good progress with my Dracoth, readying myself for the metalics  when my bottle of Army Painter Platemetal dripped it's last drop. Not too worry, I had a new bottle ready for such an occasion. Or so I thought...

Spoiler

Now, Army Painter has a mixed reputation in regards to quality, but most of the paints I've settled on have good coverage and consistency. The new bottle of Platemetal splurged out a dollop of glittery gel which was use to neither man nor beast. Now I know what your thinking. Sometimes Army Painter needs a little, encouragement, to get the paint flowing. Bearing in mind I had already dropped in a steel ball, squeezed out the first 6 drops of medium near the top and gave the bottle a damn good thrashing, I proceeded to vigorously agitate the paint to the point my partner accused me of, well, partaking of some self-gratification, and still I was left with a pearl of ethereal glitter glue.  What gets me, is that there is such a staggering contrast between the old and new paints, if you were to remove the label, I would swear it was a completely different brand. Safe to say I'm not a happy Manticore!

So, whilst I'm in the process of sourcing a similar shade of metal which I haven't already rejected or isn't waiting on stock, I've busied myself with building some Daughters of Khaine and undercoating my salvaged Myrmourn Banshee.

I this regard, I shall revise my pledge as such

Paint:

2 Lord Celestants on Dracoth

5 Liberators

5 Sisters of Slaughter

5 Witch Aelves

8 Myrmourn Banshees

Lastly, I was pleasantly surprised to receive my Girls Und Panzer decals much earlier than anticipated and have completed my Churchill for the elegant Saint Glorianas. One of the reasons I've avoided 40k is that I've never been overly enthusiastic about vehicles, but this was a nice change of pace and I look forward to cracking out some of the more characterful tanks of Ooarai. Photos will follow this weekend.

Happy painting!

Edited by Futa Manticore
  • Like 3

@RocketPropelledGrenade Really liking the bone, gold and blue on the Ossiarch.  Were you inspired by Tomb Kings or just a coincidence?

@Sonnenspeer Y'know, the more I see the orange and pastel blue scheme for Lumineth the more appealing it becomes. Have you had any thoughts what colours you may make the horses if you paint up some Dawnriders?

10 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Ooh, I love the shark, especially the red stripes and the base!

Thanks a lot!

10 hours ago, Futa Manticore said:

@RocketPropelledGrenade

@Sonnenspeer Y'know, the more I see the orange and pastel blue scheme for Lumineth the more appealing it becomes. Have you had any thoughts what colours you may make the horses if you paint up some Dawnriders?

There are several colors suggested in the Battletome, but I mostly followed Duncan's tutorial.

I present;

WIP of my Myrmourn (the one in the middle is how they should look when complete)

5 Sisters of Slaughter (loved painting these ladies and the Witch Aelves are going well. I'm glad I've went for a unified bases across both my Death and Order armies, though impractically armoured bikinis are hardly proper attire for snowy tundra)

1 28mm Churchill (surprisingly fun to paint, and I look forward to painting up some Matildas)

Myrmourn Banshees 1.JPG

Sisters of Slaughter 2.JPG

Sisters of Slaughter 1.JPG

Churchill 1.JPG

Still need to do some work on photographing bright models on a dark background...

Edited by Futa Manticore
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 12/31/2020 at 11:44 PM, ChillTuup said:

Lot of shadowstalker and morathi here haha. Same goes for me...

I wanna finish both morathis, the shadow stalkers and ten doomfire warlocks i converted

Finished morathi and shadow stalkeers...doomfire warlocks are finished  except for the bases, since they havent arrived yet 

dok3.jpg

dok2.jpg

dok2.jfif

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Cutting it close but I'm calling it complete

Gotta say, those Daughters of Khaine are a fantastic change of pace. At first, I was reluctant due to their relative small size when compared to Stormcast and Nighthaunt , but I managed to keep my ambitions in-line with my abilities. I think a nice pastel blue will work nicely for the the mutations of the Melusai and Khinerai

Daughters of Khaine.JPG

Witch Aelves.JPG

Myrmourn.JPG

• Like 2

I actually finished my meager paint contract for once, my Daemon Prince and 3 Bloodreavers are all done and I built up my 20 Bloodreavers and the Slaughterpriest. 

Oh! I also have a painting blog now where I share my terrible... er amazing ideas and techniques (so as not to clog up this forum with VERY lengthy entries as I have in the past) and give updates on where I'm at in my hobby journey, so go ahead and check that out:

The Neckbeard Monthly - The Grand Alliance Community (tga.community)

IMG_2104.jpeg.96874c7cdf5809d9adef210b9604e813.jpegIMG_2094.jpeg.b15e7482bb490efc727c923d13feffd5.jpegIMG_2095.jpeg.fe2c76c894edf4474451b65aa2b8a213.jpeg

IMG_2096.jpeg

• Like 3