An Unimportant Asur Quandary

Pyrescribe

Once upon a time I was a teenager reading the 5th ed High Elves army book and I fell in love with Warhammer. I gathered a high elf army (as well as a greenskin waaagh!) over the years that was stubbornly always metal. I didn't like the plastics from 4th ed or 6th ed. Anyway, Age of Sigmar came and killed warhammer fantasy battles, and in a moment of financial need I sold my beloved metal High Elves.

I'm clearly in a better position today, given I have started collecting and playing Lumineth. I recently came into possession of one full set of the Island of Blood High Elves and another set of each of the units as well. On the one hand, Swifthawk Agents are sort of interesting, on the other getting a hold of a pair of Lothern Sky Cutters makes playing Lumineth look cheap...especially for an army that will never receive an update.

A part of me thinks I ought to leave these guys on their square bases and have no intent to use them in Age of Sigmar--but to simply paint them as a not-really-viable Warhammer 8th edition army (it's honestly not bad though and there's nothing a blob of phoenix guard can't remedy). Of course, I don't know anyone in my area that plays 8th edition...and 9th age isn't truly appealing to me.

Anyway, is there anyone else that would do the same and put in hobby time for a dead game? Would you sell them off? Keep them in a shoebox? I really enjoy these sculpts but their size difference next to the Lumineth rank and file is jarring. I guess I've talked myself into this course of action, but I'm also happy to be talked out of it.

• Like 2

You could always use them as a Cities of Sigmar army.  Phoenix Guard are already there, the others can be Darkling Coven Dreadspears or Sisters of the Watch or Freeguild Greatswords for example.  CoS is a viable Battletome which has some good options and it means you can still use your models.  Also, the model range is often of the same era and so the size won't be so much of an issue.

• Like 1

I've been keeping all my old HE in a nice wooden box. For the memory. If you are interested in playing a Cities army in addition to your Lumineth, then that is a good option too of course.

Personally, although I like what they did with CoS, because you can use most of the HE only as stand-ins, personally for me that's just not satisfying. 

Edited by LuminethMage

I love elves as well, and I honestly don’t play much of the game anyway, so you may season my thoughts to taste depending on how much you care about playing games of AoS with your models:

1. If you love the models, you may regret selling them off. How likely are you to be able to recollect them in the event you change your mind in the future? Does the availability of space and money the models would free up matter to you?
  2. The Old World is coming. If Horus Heresy is anything to go by, it will likely be huge, gorgeous, boutique, and include elves. (Heresy started with just a few astartes legions, but quickly expanded to include Mechanicum, Auxilia, Militia...) Your models may find a home in that setting. In the Heresy community, folks usually embrace the old RT era metal rhinos, land raiders, speeders. In fact, the “new” FW sculpts are draw heavily from them (the Deimos Rhino from FW is just a bigger old school metal rhino, the Land Raider Proteus is just a bigger old school Raider, ditto the Land Speeders, old armor mks, etc.) Unless you’re getting into competitive gaming, people usually don’t mind that your models might be smaller as long as you aren’t being “gamey” about it. This last bit comes down to the culture that develops around the new game, but I’m hopeful it follows the “historical” and “narrative” path the Heresy has taken.
  3. If you love the models, you could enjoy them as a long term hobby project, painting each to the best of your ability. Personally, I lean into this philosophy alot - I dont enjoy the gaming that much beyond an excuse to laugh, tell stories and drink with friends. Having models I am proud of increases the enjoyment I get from this, and so I would view the broad expanses of time between games as an opportunity to enjoy the oainting process. If I get lucky and get games in once a month, great. If I don’t get a game in for a few months - great, now I’ve gotten another 100 points painted!
  4. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, if I were to collect older midels, I would keep them with era specific touches. That means square bases. I think the historical context helps tell the story of what I would be trying to achieve - a beautiful 8th ed. army, proud of its heritage. I think it would be tacky to try to “modernize” just the bases - I dont need this army to look like something from 2020 AoS. If i wanted that, id just collect an AoS army.
Edited by Ggom
  • Like 1

Another option is to put some clear or black flat rounds under them. Functionally the same.

I agree with City of Sigmar, keywords like "human" don't do anything*, and if you are clear in how you proxy, I don't see any reason why people should be weird about it. I also have Glade Riders with pistols and machine guns. Work perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, Lord of the Isle said:

Agreed with everyone else on bases tho as a sidenote Mordheim models really suit round ones!

As an avid collector of models from the turn of the millennium I've been agonizing what to do with my Mordheim Skaven! Round bases do look good, but I also want to be faithful to the period.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, Pyrescribe said:

Once upon a time I was a teenager reading the 5th ed High Elves army book and I fell in love with Warhammer. I gathered a high elf army (as well as a greenskin waaagh!) over the years that was stubbornly always metal. I didn't like the plastics from 4th ed or 6th ed. Anyway, Age of Sigmar came and killed warhammer fantasy battles, and in a moment of financial need I sold my beloved metal High Elves.

I'm clearly in a better position today, given I have started collecting and playing Lumineth. I recently came into possession of one full set of the Island of Blood High Elves and another set of each of the units as well. On the one hand, Swifthawk Agents are sort of interesting, on the other getting a hold of a pair of Lothern Sky Cutters makes playing Lumineth look cheap...especially for an army that will never receive an update.

A part of me thinks I ought to leave these guys on their square bases and have no intent to use them in Age of Sigmar--but to simply paint them as a not-really-viable Warhammer 8th edition army (it's honestly not bad though and there's nothing a blob of phoenix guard can't remedy). Of course, I don't know anyone in my area that plays 8th edition...and 9th age isn't truly appealing to me.

Anyway, is there anyone else that would do the same and put in hobby time for a dead game? Would you sell them off? Keep them in a shoebox? I really enjoy these sculpts but their size difference next to the Lumineth rank and file is jarring. I guess I've talked myself into this course of action, but I'm also happy to be talked out of it.

I just saw a Lumineth bat rep where the guy had nothing but 20-30 y ear old High Elf models and the old teclis on a big base with a large monster.  If you are playing a friend it shouldn't be an issue and you could really easily and reasonably come to logical solutions to sizing issues.  Just make sure you get the right bases.  

At the current time there are very few models from the older games you cannot find a use for in AoS.  If you aren't playing in tournaments there is no reason to think your models cannot be used in casual games.  I have a gaming buddy who says "you could use a soda pop can for all I care".  

I think you should really consider starting up a Cities of Sigmar army and bringing your old models into the game.  That Spireshade high elf griffon could be a Freeguild Empire hypogriff rider.  It doesn't take much to make things work.

On 10/19/2020 at 12:02 AM, Pyrescribe said:

As an avid collector of models from the turn of the millennium I've been agonizing what to do with my Mordheim Skaven! Round bases do look good, but I also want to be faithful to the period.

There is no benefit in keeping them on bases for a game that died 5 or 6 years ago.  the rounds provide a chance to update them with a fancy new base and breath new life into the model.  Personally speaking i'm an avid collector of models that predate most millennials.  I've got them all on round bases.   Just doing up my 1987 Jes Goodwin Wardancers to use as Wildwood Rangers.  

• Like 2