AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

Yeah, that article was kinda depressing. I did notice one thing:

Chaos runeshields protect against mortal wounds, and you have multiple ways to improve armour saves through Oracular Visions and the spell Demonic Power, among others.

I'm wondering if that was maybe just a mistake? I mean they spelled the name wrong to start, so I don't have a lot of faith, but it's possible that Daemonic Power is getting an update. Maybe it'll change from reroll hits and wounds to something simpler like +1 to hit, wound, and save. 

Also this line made me wonder a bit:

Chaos Knights are simply one of the best Battleline units in the game.

I've been thinking that knights might be fun in the new edition due to units of 5 ignoring the new coherency issues. Their base toughness coupled with All Out Defence adding +1 to save now could make them pretty hard to shift. They still hit like a wet paper towel, but at the very least they could be good for grabbing and holding objectives. Especially if most armies are going towards a more MSU approach. 

Edited by Grimrock

23 hours ago, Grimrock said:

It seems like knights might be a little more interesting when we're expecting a significant drop in melee damage output across the boar

We'll see. Of course that holds true with all the information we have, but if they change weapon targeting to something like 40k its just going to shift the power from things on 25 mills to anything greater. That would still benefit the knights though.

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Here is the updated look at Slaves to Darkness in 3.0 obviously nothing earth shattering but it is nice to see this faction being placed alongside Stormcast and Orruk Warclans as the Iconic face of Chaos.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/09/the-slaves-to-darkness-are-out-to-conquer-the-new-edition-and-heres-how-theyll-do-it/

Also Warshrine #Bless

Wasn't expecting much, but still kinda disappointed.

Anyone thinking that Warriors with Halberds might be more useful now with the new melee range rules?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Orodhen said:

Yeah I was really hoping they were going to at least hint at or indicate new directions like an off handed reference to Furnace Kings (hinting at Chaos Dwarves) or the further rallying of Darkoath tribes (indicating new Marauders). But no, instead we got some pretty pictures and pretty much a retread over some previously previewed rules. Even in terms of retreaded rules they seemed largely arbitrary... 

But still first Chaos army featured was pretty nice, I also wonder if this indicates we will get priority in terms of army updates. We don't have the oldest army but we could really use an update... of course such an early release would mean drowning in the eventual flood of power creep... 😦

But considering that our Warscrolls are often designed to balance against Stormcast, I suppose being on the top towards the beginning will be better than being a book balanced against an early edition book which is how 2.0 felt to me. 

I'm amazed they didn't mention how much better our demionrift is in 3rd.

Darkfire demon rift is going to be very nasty given then it's twice as deadly with activation in every hero phase and is and now bound too.

I wish the Ogroid guy had monster on his keywords though.

We also have access to the mono God spells/prayers.

I think the Tzeentch sigil is going to be fun. Now that it activates in every hero phase opening up some odd interactions like moving one of our own units d6 in the opponents hero phase.

Edited by Rors
after thought
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I've been thinking that knights might be fun in the new edition due to units of 5 ignoring the new coherency issues. Their base toughness coupled with All Out Defence adding +1 to save now could make them pretty hard to shift. They still hit like a wet paper towel, but at the very least they could be good for grabbing and holding objectives. Especially if most armies are going towards a more MSU approach. 

i fear without any updates on it the cavalry will be the looser of the v3 : no monsters updates like and new charge defense rules

50 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

i fear without any updates on it the cavalry will be the looser of the v3 : no monsters updates like and new charge defense rules

They can be useful but I think it'll sometimes look fairly janky. For example you can use them as screens to replace the units like untamed beasts that need to be in coherency.

A flanking charge where only a single knight/horsemen hit the side of something scary (rest in conga line) will mean only 2-3 models can attack you so it becomes a really effective way to pin threatening units down without loosing the chaff as quickly.

It's jank that could already be done, it's just slightly better now.

6 minutes ago, Rors said:

They can be useful but I think it'll sometimes look fairly janky. For example you can use them as screens to replace the units like untamed beasts that need to be in coherency.

A flanking charge where only a single knight/horsemen hit the side of something scary (rest in conga line) will mean only 2-3 models can attack you so it becomes a really effective way to pin threatening units down without loosing the chaff as quickly.

wow, i didn't think of it and all ready loving it

On 6/9/2021 at 8:30 AM, Neverchosen said:

Here is the updated look at Slaves to Darkness in 3.0 obviously nothing earth shattering but it is nice to see this faction being placed alongside Stormcast and Orruk Warclans as the Iconic face of Chaos.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/09/the-slaves-to-darkness-are-out-to-conquer-the-new-edition-and-heres-how-theyll-do-it/

Also Warshrine #Bless

OMG this doesn't change anything at all.

And considering other armies get elevated, it means we are actually getting worse if that is even possible.

I hope the battalions do something for us.

The "Prayer: Bless" is highlighted as an upgrade but feels more like an insult.

The Shrine already dishes out 6+ ward to everyone within 18" without rolling a dice.

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Like 3

On 6/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, Orodhen said:

Anyone thinking that Warriors with Halberds might be more useful now with the new melee range rules?

AFAIK, there hasnt been a change in melee range, just in coherency. Until we see melee targeting rules we can only make guesses right now. And if the rules stay as written its gonna be dependant on whether the unit we attack can make a formation that can prevent our unit from piling in efficiently.

I believe Hand Weapons w/ Runeshields and Halberds W/Runeshields should have an 8.5% difference in favor of the Hand Weapons(1/2 of 17%). So if you can get more than 8.5% more warriors in then Halberds will be more effective.

Im not going to pretend that im good at math though so if someone can correct me on that id appreciate it. Id actually like to know if im wrong about it.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

21 hours ago, Rors said:

Oval cavalry actually works out relatively well with coherency because of how the tips taper(axis are measure by diameter). Much better than >25 mm circle bases with 1 inch at least. Warhammer Weekly did a show showing how you can configure oval bases like a wave and keep all models in coherency.

Im also certainly am not as confident as Vince is that we aren't getting new melee targeting rules just because they didnt get rid of weapon ranges on the warcsroll. Especially since Jack from RR1s said there was some stuff he couldnt talk about(he playtested it).

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

5 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Kurrilino I guess it means you can give the 6+ to a unit and charge it out of shrine range? Or give it to a Daemon Prince or other non-mortal? I'm reaching for the positives here. That slaves article was a joke. 

Core Battalions dont appear to do a lot;

No description available.

Any clue as to what an 'enhancement' is?

3 hours ago, drcrater said:

Well I'm sad because a blob of 20 chaos warriors will not be longer possible and I love to use that :(

Min unit size may be 5 right now, but nothing saying they can't fiddle with min size for units.