AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

On 1/19/2020 at 11:48 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Had a casual game on the wknd; 2500 points- Ravagers with Ruinbringers Battalion against Cities of Sigmar Tempests Eye - Relocation Orb

I took 30 x knights, 3 x chariots, 5 x marauder horsemen and lord on Karkadrak, plus 2 x lords on daemonic mount, Sorcerer Lord and allied bloodstoker.

Awesome game, went down to bottom of turn 5 , tied on VP and I took the minor win with about 550 points remaining to his 250 points. 

Lord on Karkadrak is a beast. I was giving him reroll saves and early on I rolled up a 5+ wound shrug on the eye of gods table which saved him multiple times. 

Ruinbringers is an awesome battalion, adding some much needed extra punch to knights and almost, almost justifying chariots. After the initial charge the chariots did practically nothing, even to the poorly armoured freeguild/duardin units I was hitting, but it was nice to see them on the table again. 

Tried and failed to alpha strike with a buffed unit of knights and Mask of Darkness spell, but still found the spell useful to teleport the wizard around and get reroll saves or undivided aura where I needed it.

Bringing marauders on for a near guaranteed charge was great fun. They pretty much always died immediately but they ensured my opponent couldnt press forward with everything he had and the wounds they chipped off backline handgunners etc was essential to keeping me in the game.

Definitely favouring ravagers/ruinbringers combo over Despoilers legion at this stage but need to play against a higher tier army to really test it out. 

Perhaps an unusual request: Do you have pictures of the battle? :D

it sounds like Great fun

@ColsBols yes to both. You can even play Archi in any of the Chaos Battletomes

Edited by JackStreicher

I'm a beginner to this game. I like versatility of rules and builds in my armies, so S2D are perfect for me (5 useable battletome allegiances). 

1) Can mortal wizards in god-marked allegiances cast S2D endless spells?

2) Can god-marked wizards in S2D allegiance cast god-marked endless spells?

3) Can a khorne-marked warshrine in S2D allegiance army cast Judgements?

4) Can I use S2D battalions in god-marked armies without worrying about allies?

Edited by Snakeb1te

48 minutes ago, Snakeb1te said:

I'm a beginner to this game. I like versatility of rules and builds in my armies, so S2D are perfect for me (5 useable battletome allegiances). 

1-3: Yes. (I suppose you mean s2d wizards in question 1)

4: Only the 4 godspecific battalions which all specifically state that they can be used both in their respective god's allegiance and s2t allegiance.

This is my perception at least, please correct me if Im wrong.

Edited by KoalaSnok
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KoalaSnok said:

1-3: Yes. (I suppose you mean s2d wizards in question 1)

4: Only the 4 godspecific battalions which all specifically state that they can be used both in their respective god's allegiance and s2t allegiance.

This is my perception at least, please correct me if Im wrong.

Thank you.

So you're saying that I could not use a Ruinbringer battalion with Slaanesh Allegiance?

13 hours ago, ColsBols said:

Questions:

Does Bel'akor exude the Undivided chaos aura?

Can you take Archaon in non-HOE lists?

Yes on both counts. All characters that have a chaos mark also give out the aura of chaos. Be'lakor can't choose his own mark, but he already has the undivided mark under his keywords.

*the good thing about chaos chariots is the alpha strike potential,  taking ruinbringers warband guarantees first turn.

*then theres a warlord trait, where you can move 1d3 units 5 inches or so.

*then with chaos lord on demonic mount command ability you can give each chariot reroll charge +1 hit buff  (this list run a lot of command points 1d3 from artifact and 1 for battalion)

chariot's default ability lets you run and charge and has base 12 inch movement. so 5'' from warlord trait 12'' from movement, 1d6'' for running + reroll charges 

Edited by Rod
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

Actually 3 is unfortunately a no. Unlike endless spells, Judgements are locked in with the khorne allegiance abilities so you have to be taking the khorne allegiance to get use to them. See the first line on the Judgement rules on page 77 of the blades of khorne book.

Edited by Grimrock

11 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Actually 3 is unfortunately a no. Unlike endless spells, Judgements are locked in with the khorne allegiance abilities so you have to be taking the khorne allegiance to get use to them. See the first line on the Judgement rules on page 77 of the blades of khorne book.

I dont have the BoK book but I'll take your word for it! Speaking of BoK - I'm currently painting up my Archaon and plan on running a rather casual list (I think?) without any Varanguard, going mostly mounted and using the Ruinbringer battalion. Since i plan on marking everything except for my Sorcerer with Khorne mark, I'm kind of wondering if going Khorne allegiance with the same units would do better? As I mentioned I dont have that book so I dont know much about the allegiance abilities. I do have a bloodstoker and bloodsecrator though!

My list atm goes something like:
Archaon
Sorcerer Lord
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak
2x5 Chaos Knights
2X5 Marauder Horsemen (Javelins)
Chaos Chariot
Ruinbringers battalion
spare pts for endless spell

30 minutes ago, KoalaSnok said:

I dont have the BoK book but I'll take your word for it! Speaking of BoK - I'm currently painting up my Archaon and plan on running a rather casual list (I think?) without any Varanguard, going mostly mounted and using the Ruinbringer battalion. Since i plan on marking everything except for my Sorcerer with Khorne mark, I'm kind of wondering if going Khorne allegiance with the same units would do better? As I mentioned I dont have that book so I dont know much about the allegiance abilities. I do have a bloodstoker and bloodsecrator though!

My list atm goes something like:
Archaon
Sorcerer Lord
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak
2x5 Chaos Knights
2X5 Marauder Horsemen (Javelins)
Chaos Chariot
Ruinbringers battalion
spare pts for endless spell

It looks like your list wouldn't work in the khorne allegiance. I believe the Knights, marauder horsemen, and chariot are all only battleline in a Slaves to Darkness allegiance, so you wouldn't have any battleline in khorne. For those models I think you're better off taking the S2D allegiance and just allying in the stoker.

Edit: also you can't take the  ruinbringer battalion in a khorne allegiance. The Bloodmarked Warband is the only S2D battalion that can be taken in khorne. 

Archaon is pretty fantastic in khorne though, so if you want to go that route he's a good start to the army. Actually there are a good number of S2D units that port over well to khorne since the army is so good at buffing things up. 

Edited by Grimrock

Archaon is fantastic everywhere. If you take him in Khorne you lose knowing the turn order, as well as most of his other utility that comes from Host of the Everchosen, but in return you get a beatstick that can kill pretty much anything with his buffs up, as well as fighting upwards of 3 times in a turn which is insane. 

So it's essentially whether you prefer killing power or utility for him. 

24 minutes ago, Bloodmoon said:

Archaon is fantastic everywhere. If you take him in Khorne you lose knowing the turn order, as well as most of his other utility that comes from Host of the Everchosen, but in return you get a beatstick that can kill pretty much anything with his buffs up, as well as fighting upwards of 3 times in a turn which is insane. 

So it's essentially whether you prefer killing power or utility for him. 

I keep reading about Archaon attacking 2 and even 3 tie in combat how do you do this.  Lost and confused.  

52 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

It looks like your list wouldn't work in the khorne allegiance. I believe the Knights, marauder horsemen, and chariot are all only battleline in a Slaves to Darkness allegiance, so you wouldn't have any battleline in khorne. For those models I think you're better off taking the S2D allegiance and just allying in the stoker.

Edit: also you can't take the  ruinbringer battalion in a khorne allegiance. The Bloodmarked Warband is the only S2D battalion that can be taken in khorne. 

Archaon is pretty fantastic in khorne though, so if you want to go that route he's a good start to the army. Actually there are a good number of S2D units that port over well to khorne since the army is so good at buffing things up. 

Yeah i know I wouldnt be able to take the battalion, and I do own some warriors to fill out battleline. I just brought up the current list so you would know roughly what i was toying with ;)

17 minutes ago, Choas Lord Mike said:

I keep reading about Archaon attacking 2 and even 3 tie in combat how do you do this.  Lost and confused.  

theres a few ways to do it. Slaanesh can use a Chaos Lord+Keeper of Secrets(as Archaon has the HEDONITE keyword) to get him to fight 3 times in a single combat phase for 2cp. (once base, twice for the CL, again for the KoS) 

In Khorne its pretty simple, you have a Chaos Lord to make him fight twice, and then spend Blood Tithe points to have Archaon fight in your (or your opponents) hero phase, hence 3 times. 

3 minutes ago, Bloodmoon said:

theres a few ways to do it. Slaanesh can use a Chaos Lord+Keeper of Secrets(as Archaon has the HEDONITE keyword) to get him to fight 3 times in a single combat phase for 2cp. (once base, twice for the CL, again for the KoS) 

In Khorne its pretty simple, you have a Chaos Lord to make him fight twice, and then spend Blood Tithe points to have Archaon fight in your (or your opponents) hero phase, hence 3 times. 

Thank you

7 minutes ago, KoalaSnok said:

Yeah i know I wouldnt be able to take the battalion, and I do own some warriors to fill out battleline. I just brought up the current list so you would know roughly what i was toying with ;)

Ah, haha fair enough. Yeah that stuff can work in Khorne fairly well. One or two priests are pretty mandatory but other than that there are a lot of good builds. Personally I love the warshrine in Khorne because it gets the prayer rerolls from the altar, making the buffs very reliable. It can also chant an allegiance prayer and they're all pretty solid. I used one in a list with archaon and some knights along with a bunch of khorne. The combos worked quite well and archaon was a total wrecking ball. All told he killed 6 stone troggs, a dankhold trogboss, and two mangler squigs. 

5 hours ago, Choas Lord Mike said:

They are a bit confused. Unfortunately in Khorne, Archaon can only fight twice, because they are referring to the Slaughter Host: Reapers of Vengeance Command ability which activates at the start of the combat phase. It is an easy oversight, but the Chaos Lord on foot's command ability allows a Slaves to Darkness Unit wholly within 12" can fight a Second time in the combat phase. The issue in Khorne is, both are spent at the beginning of the Combat Phase and the Reapers of Vengeance command ability says "After fighting for the first time in the combat phase, this model may immediately fight again." Although paraphrasing, the important bit is "After fighting the first time". The Chaos Lord on foot's command ability allows a "Slaves to Darkness Unit to be chosen to fight a Second time" the important bit being "Second Time". They are unfortunately replacement effects and don't add up to 3 times attacking in combat. I would just bag the Reapers of Vengeance Slaughterhost and take a Chaos Lord if I were running him in Khorne. (Play Blood Lords, it is better and Archaon can use Command Points to heal himself). Bloodtithe ability to fight "a third time" is a waste of bloodtithe and is highly situational. It occurs in the Hero phase anyway. Best only used to fight and free himself up so he can then move, so he can charge and fight another target. However, I would just cast spells and use a Nurgle Head ability to kill the targets in that situation and then save the Bloodtithe for an Insensate Rage or Exploding 6's, or a 20 man drop of Bloodletters on an objective.

If you are hell-bent on getting the big boy to fight 3 times, you are better off in Slaanesh, using the Chaos Lord (again) to make Archaon fight a Second time, then a Keeper of Secrets to allow him to fight a third time (Keeper of Secrets allows a unit to fight again, regardless of how many times it has fought in the combat phase, however can only be targeted once with this command ability). 

So Archaon can fight 3 times, but I the problem becomes "do I have enough to kill within 3" of me?" because I can tell you through experience, Archaon, after fighting 2 times, leaves little remaining to pile in again. So best keeping to the fighting twice in Khorne and bringing a Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury to allow him to pile in 6". 

Edited by Wulfrik the Wanderer

Hey everyone, 

I am new to the community and I have a question that seems fairly obviousyet, I am finding it difficult to find a specific answer. If I use a Gaunt Summoner in a Ravagers list are they able to use the Rally the Tribes command ability?  I assume they can't because they have the Everchosen Keyword but I have seen some people stating some conflicting opinions on the subject. 

I apologize, if this is a silly question or if it has been asked already.

3 hours ago, ColsBols said:

My Azyr app says that the Bloodsecrator exudes the Aura of Khorne, do all marked allied heroes do that?

It's an error. Battletome says that Heroes need to be Slaves to Darkness to exude an aura. The Bloodsecrator doesn't have that keyword.