AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

22 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

But please don't put him into S2D 😅

Oops! I'm not used to having this tab open on anything but Slaanesh 😂

On the other hand, I think this guy could actually see use in Slaves to Darkness...

• Haha 1

Question for anyone that has bought the new Exalted Hero of Chaos model, how does it compare size wise to the standard chaos warriors? I've been thinking of picking up the Khagra's Ravagers box and using it for a chaos lord, two exalted heroes, and a chaos sorcerer, but I'm not sure if they'll be a suitable standins once they're on 40mm bases. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 4:29 PM, Adammck66 said:

Hey guys, how do allies work with chaos?

If I ally in 10 Plaguebearer's for example, do they lose Disgustingly resilient?

Thanks.

Yes they lose it, since the ability is not on their warscroll but rather a battle trait of a Maggotkin of Nurgle army.

Edited by JackOfBlades

38 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

What a great kitbash! What did you use for that mount?

Gryph-charger body. Lord of change head. Daemon Prince Shoulders (barding), daemon prince chest (barding at the back), khorne daemon prince Horns for the mount‘s horns.

Mount chest: I assume it’s a leftover bit from the Theridons‘/Chosen‘s Banner.

• LOVE IT! 1

On 3/14/2023 at 7:36 PM, Grimrock said:

Question for anyone that has bought the new Exalted Hero of Chaos model, how does it compare size wise to the standard chaos warriors? I've been thinking of picking up the Khagra's Ravagers box and using it for a chaos lord, two exalted heroes, and a chaos sorcerer, but I'm not sure if they'll be a suitable standins once they're on 40mm bases. 

I literally have just been looking at doing this and came here to ask the exact same thing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Azlak the Damned said:

Khagra's Ravagers box and using it for a chaos lord,

The Size  fit.

But the think is there are rules for Kaghra's Ravagers in AoS. When i see them on the field i think on there rules and so. On a tournement sry guys as the jugde i wont let them play as a Chaoslord or a normal Sorcerer and so on... (sry)

9 hours ago, ibel said:

But the think is there are rules for Kaghra's Ravagers in AoS. When i see them on the field i think on there rules and so. On a tournement sry guys as the jugde i wont let them play as a Chaoslord or a normal Sorcerer and so on... (sry)

That's ok, I won't ever be attending a tournament that you judge so it won't be an issue!

• Like 1

Assuming you swapped out the bases (bit of a waste if you ask me, since they come with really cool sculpted bases), Khagra's Ravagers would mostly work, but none of them are really equipped like either loadout for a Chaos Lord. Khagra and Razek would make fine shield-wielding Exalted Heroes, and Dour Cragan could stand in for either loadout of an Exalted Hero as he has a shield on his back and two weapons in his hands. None of them have a flail, and the closest to the other loadout is gonna be Cragan, but that basically relies on the vague names of the weapons and a tolerant opponent or TO. I'd be fine with it in a casual game, but might not fly everywhere.

Also, a bit of a battle report sort of thing from earlier in the week, since I've got AoS on the brain and not many channels to just chat about it in--I played my first mirror match earlier this week, as well as a couple other games since.

Been playing up a storm of S2D games since the first full leaks, and while there are several other S2D players locally, I actually hadn't faced off against any of them until recently. It was a lot of fun. My opponent normally plays Host, but was experimenting with Cabalists, which is where I spend most of my time (I briefly experimented with Host recently before deciding it wasn't for me). While we were mirrored in both faction and subfaction, we had fairly different lists. Some stuff was similar, but where I had reinforced Chosen and a couple of Exalted Heroes as bonus casters, he had a Sorcerer Lord on Manticore and a second unit of Knights backed by a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Steed. I think he was experimenting with his list as well as with the new subfaction, and I was pretty familiar with what I was running. Only a minor change from my usual in that I took a smaller triumph bid to experiment with an extra Endless Spell. Not sure it was worth it, but data is as yet insufficient.

Overall it was a really fun game, but one that went solidly my way without much issue. The initial wave of charges went to me, and a bunch of his army got bottlenecked by terrain while I took it apart. The second game that day was against one of the tougher local players, though, so I knew not to get overconfident (we have a number of really good tournament players in my area). He was trying a new Sylvaneth list, with Alarielle, Drycha, a Warsinger-traited Arch-Revenant and some bow Hunters and Dryads. He played really well with it, but I think he really needed more bodies in there. Alarielle got off a nasty first turn charge and nearly took out both my Karkadrak Lord and my Knights, but couldn't seal the deal on either, and was out of range to strike and fade. She took a heck of a lot of killing on the bottom of the round, but I got not only the Everqueen, but Drycha too, leaving my Cabalists basically free to buff and cast with impunity for a while. After that it got nasty, and Alarielle coming back was not enough to salvage the game for him (although as I mentioned, he played well and it was closer than you might expect from this abbreviated summary. I think at bottom of 4 we were 21-16 or 20-17 or something like that, and we mathed out that the gap would likely grow wider, but not too much wider.

So yeah, really fun day of games there. I even got in another one today as well against a friend who hadn't played in a while, enticed back to the game by the new KO tome. It went about as well as could be expected for a very casual player who hadn't played in months using an unfamiliar tome, but he had a great time and we're planning to get in more regular games now that he has a bit more time in his schedule, so hopefully he will get in the reps he needs to master things.

Just been a bunch of fun gaming that is making me enthused to pick hobbying back up after a slump of a couple months, and also keeping me pumped for our local RTT next weekend. Thought I'd share/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this is probably more a general question but I figured the input here would be valuable.

Now that new belakor has been out for ages are people still generally okay with the idea of using the old model on the properly sized base? Maybe with a handy measuring stick in case height comes up?

On 4/2/2023 at 9:53 PM, The Red King said:

I know this is probably more a general question but I figured the input here would be valuable.

Now that new belakor has been out for ages are people still generally okay with the idea of using the old model on the properly sized base? Maybe with a handy measuring stick in case height comes up?

in my opinion that's not possible, for the same reason i could use old Lord Kroak or Teclis 🤨

18 hours ago, HMB said:

in my opinion that's not possible, for the same reason i could use old Lord Kroak or Teclis 🤨

If they're on the proper size base and you add some stuff to make it fancier and a bit taller, I wouldn't see a problem with that.  If you have the models, you should be able to use them if on the right base size.  Old Kroak is the same size as the new one for the most part aside from all the floaty stone circle bits (the old one had a flying stand already, so most of the height is there).  Old metal Teclis...well just get a Kragnos with wings and a Keeper of Secrets face, that'll work.

I just fought my friend's Gitz army with my all Undivided Cabalists StD, first tryout for each of us.  I was going for the Grand Strat of doing 4 StD Tactics...I had:

Manticore Lord (general, Favored, Conq. crown, Flaming Weapon, Daemon Blade)

Sorc on Manticore (D. Conduit, Vigour)

2 foot Sorc (Conduit, Speed, Leadership of the Alpha...Damnation, Speed, Tunnel Master)

Lord on D. Mount (Flaming Weapon)

4x1 Chariots

1x5 Knights w the Undivided Banner

mercenary One Eyed Grunnock

He had: Loonboss on big squig, Mangler Boss, 2 Fungoids, Squigboss, 24 Squigherd, 10 and 5 Bounderz, 5 Rockguts, 10 Spiders.  

Position over power, he went first, failed a 5" charge on the squigherd.  So I charged them with my MantiLord, Gargant, MountLord w Knights and wiped them after Binding Damnation so I struck first there....got an objective w a chariot, and charged spiders and the tiny Bounderz unit, ended up wiping the Bounderz but not much to the Spiders.  Failed to get my MantiLord rolling on the table with Chaotic Conduit after my MantiSorc rolled 2 1s on the Draw Power for that.  So that sucked.

I got the double turn and got into the Troggs w a chariot and the MantiLord, killed a Fungoid w another chariot, brought my gargant up over the center ruins and charged the Loonboss, charged the knights w Speed over into the Spiders (but the Lord couldn't make it with them).  He then brought the Bounderz straight into the Gargant and killed it in one round.  Then it fell onto the Loonboss and finished him off.  Spiders and Knights/Chariot were a tarpit, so was the Trogg battle.  

Then he got the double turn and brought the Mangler Boss way over to my backfield and engaged my foot and MantiSorcerrers.  That was hopeless.  Bounderz went into my MantiLord took swift care of him and the chariot.  Knights eventually killed the Spiders, tried to run back to the center to maybe do a tactic of some sort, but then got Bounderzed themselves.  

Unbelievable how fast and deadly the Gitz are, especially the boingy ones on the charge.  Chaos Knights on the other hand, really kinda suck!  Hitting on 4+?!?  How do grots hit on 3s, and Chaos Knights on 4s?  Sure I forgot about Daemonic Power but even so, they should be hitting like Stormcast guys.  Also Chariots need multiple impacts to do their work, no single piecemeal garbage except for weakling heroes.  Next time I'll use them like that, but otherwise they are pretty terrible, and I think I'll switch to flails instead of the Greatblade for at least some amount of possible hitting.  One-Eyed Grunnock is awful but I didn't have anything else put together yet and mine looks awesome.  Oh well, learning game.  

Should I make 10 Chosen from my Chaos Dwarf Bloodbowl guys....or some Azgorh themed Varanguard with them?  Really can't decide which would be better.  They're gonna be some serious conversion work either way so I want to make the meanest unit(s) possible with them.  I have a Karkadrak in the works though, the Mount Lord is pretty meh.  Karkadrak seems certainly worth the extra 50 points.

• Like 1

Got another game in yesterday, first time going to a Morathi and the Bowsnakes concert. Varanguard had front row tickets with a first turn charge, though, and it continues to go really well from there. Won 23-20, with my favorite moment being pinging off Morathi's last wound with a 12" Arcane Bolt.

Continuing to feel really good about Cabalists. OBR and SBGL new books look fun as well, and I am looking forward to busting those out as alternatives more often in the near future, but I think S2D will stay my main faction. Just gotta finish painting em by NOVA.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Got another game in yesterday, first time going to a Morathi and the Bowsnakes concert. Varanguard had front row tickets with a first turn charge, though, and it continues to go really well from there. Won 23-20, with my favorite moment being pinging off Morathi's last wound with a 12" Arcane Bolt.

Continuing to feel really good about Cabalists. OBR and SBGL new books look fun as well, and I am looking forward to busting those out as alternatives more often in the near future, but I think S2D will stay my main faction. Just gotta finish painting em by NOVA.

which list are you running for cabalists?

10 hours ago, HMB said:

which list are you running for cabalists?

Base list at the time below. However, there's been a slight improvement since that game thanks to the Battlescroll freeing up 40 points (Karkadrak -20, Knights -10, Warriors -10). I was mostly running Aethervoid Pendulum because it helped me hit a critical mass of Endless Spells that makes my power projection genuinely potent, but the spell itself is pretty bad so I swapped it for Quicksilver Swords and will be taking that version to an RTT tomorrow.

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Cabalists
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (220)*
- General
- Command Trait: Death Dealer
- Artefact: The Conqueror's Crown
- Mark of Chaos: Undivided
- The Lore of the Damned: Daemonic Speed
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (120)**