Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

22 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Just received an email saying my giant and wyrven are on the way! Happy days!! 

Similar too me.

my dwarf warriors (from fireforge miniature) arrived

also I almost finished painting da green Knight’z trusty mount.

and yes that greem thin on his face is just some paint splattered onto him

IMG_3606.jpeg

IMG_3607.jpeg

IMG_3608.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, petitionercity said:

Da red gobbo has a rival for Christmas!

Or the count of hochland :D

He looks awesome!! 

33 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

When the community does it better than GW:

image.jpeg.3dae455d6ba8a3ea40b039b3790af136.jpeg

Scanned miniatures from WHFB.

Really not a fan of straight up copying existing models. 3d printing is a great resource but stealing and directly copying another person's designs just doesn't sit right with me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Really not a fan of straight up copying existing models. 3d printing is a great resource but stealing and directly copying another person's designs just doesn't sit right with me. 

Agreed. Just to be clear, my point about them being but bad is just that it's impressive that you can achieve that with scanning and 3D printing. I'm not keen on taking someone else's designs like this, and I definitely don't agree with anyone selling them (no idea if they are too be clear).

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I mean, those look pretty good, but those old Warriors are so cheap, why not just buy some on eBay?

By contrast, recast resin big hat Chorfs, that makes more sense, morally speaking.  And by morally, I mean financially.

This is just the example I got but looks like it is from a telegram group where they have almost all from GW scanned. They even have the recent Skaven Eshin Master.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Not a question of that, it's simply violating the rules of these forums.

Better to refrain from doing this, I believe.

What I am saying is that GW could do something like that. Scanning/ releasing STL models of their pretty old minis (especially those that are not going to be sold anymore). I don't have access to those files (I just know they come from telegram), so I don't think I am doing anything against the rules.

But something like an STL vault of all the models that are not for sale wouldn't be that crazy. If the community can do it I am pretty sure GW could as well. It would also help those who want to join their IPs but cannot afford their produced kits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

What I am saying is that GW could do something like that.

No, that's definitely not what you were doing. You were showing "what the community does instead of GW". You know what was the guy's intent when he posted that picture and you know he was totally using illegal scans to print those. Just drop it.

Yes, technology is already there for that and yes it keeps getting better. But do the 3D printing community really need to prove what its accusers say what it really stands for - stealing existing designs / IP like AI "art" software ? I think not.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

But something like an STL vault of all the models that are not for sale wouldn't be that crazy.

Crazy no, but when you sell .stl files, you don't just lose control of the file - you lose control on quality of the prints (basically it all depends of the buyers, if they use cheap resin / engines to save their own production costs). It's actually bad for the brand when people buy "cheap" miniatures and they obtain bad quality as a result - because all they see is that it's a "GW miniature", no matter who is really the printer. That's the problem for existing 3D sculpting brands like Bestiarum Miniatures and why they also intend to go physical recently : so that the official way of having their miniature outside of home has an acceptable quality.

As for GW, they are so protective of their own quality and IP that selling .stl files is completely out of the question - and thus crazy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarouan said:

As for GW, they are so protective of their own quality and IP that selling .stl files is completely out of the question - and thus crazy.

Yeah, there was someone who was slowly taking out all the unit models from Total Warhammer and converting them to .STL Files, and hosting them online for people to download. Printers jumped on fast and started selling 3D prints of them online and GW came down hard on all of it.

4 hours ago, Scáthborn said:

Yeah, there was someone who was slowly taking out all the unit models from Total Warhammer and converting them to .STL Files, and hosting them online for people to download. Printers jumped on fast and started selling 3D prints of them online and GW came down hard on all of it.

Yep, that was Emang. Started "free", then did a patreon for "supports only, can't copyright cones", and thought he could get away with it. Like all the 3D printer shops selling his works in the open. That's not knowing GW well.

Great models BTW, a shame he had to go. But come on...don't provoke blatantly the elephant in the small room you are in.

18 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Yep, that was Emang. Started "free", then did a patreon for "supports only, can't copyright cones", and thought he could get away with it. Like all the 3D printer shops selling his works in the open. That's not knowing GW well.

Great models BTW, a shame he had to go. But come on...don't provoke blatantly the elephant in the small room you are in.

Don't you think the 3D guys that "get inspired" by GW minis are something good for the game? Like how piracy was proved to be good for video games?

Before programming I did some tee designs and if it would be for me even those should disappear completely, as they are blatant copies in many cases, but I have the feeling they are beneficial for the game ecosystem in one way or another.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Don't you think the 3D guys that "get inspired" by GW minis are something good for the game? Like how piracy was proved to be good for video games?

Before programming I did some tee designs and if it would be for me even those should disappear completely, as they are blatant copies in many cases, but I have the feeling they are beneficial for the game ecosystem in one way or another.

There is a significant difference doing it for real free and getting money profiting on it. Emang did start "for the greater good", yes, but the 3D printer shops that eventually sell his works didn't have such principles. They did it for business, they did it for money - and they couldn't even hide the slightest for what purpose they were intended (some really stupidly labelled it "warhammer" on Ebay). No wonder they got hammered hard by GW legal team once it finally noticed them.

What I really mean is : don't be stupid, do it discreetly. And most important of all, don't post that on big famous forums like TGA.

On 5/10/2024 at 1:17 AM, Sarouan said:

Not a question of that, it's simply violating the rules of these forums.

Better to refrain from doing this, I believe.

If one cannot source anything but 3D printed or resin recast models for a beloved old army that is no longer produced, and is super difficult and expensive to convert.... not really a bunch of other options besides spending between $1000-2000 US for a real genuine metal Chorf or resin Forgeworld army.  

Furthermore, this is violating the forum rules, as I am not asking nor telling how to obtain illegal IP.  No links nor instructions nor solicitations have been made.  Just observations of the limitations GW has put upon us for wanting to play certain armies by taunting us with rules and nothing else besides.

End rant.

• Like 4

On 5/11/2024 at 6:05 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

If one cannot source anything but 3D printed or resin recast models for a beloved old army that is no longer produced, and is super difficult and expensive to convert.... not really a bunch of other options besides spending between $1000-2000 US for a real genuine metal Chorf or resin Forgeworld army.  

Furthermore, this is violating the forum rules, as I am not asking nor telling how to obtain illegal IP.  No links nor instructions nor solicitations have been made.  Just observations of the limitations GW has put upon us for wanting to play certain armies by taunting us with rules and nothing else besides.

End rant.

This. Also isn't the reason that GW stopped putting profiles in books for stuff they didn't produce because they lost a court case against a rival producer that made models that filled those gaps?

Seems fairly clear that if GW doesn't produce it (even in proxyable form in AoS as is the case with Vamps etc), then there is literally no reason to expect people not to use 3rd parties, as it is virtually the only way to collect them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Goatforce said:

This. Also isn't the reason that GW stopped putting profiles in books for stuff they didn't produce because they lost a court case against a rival producer that made models that filled those gaps?

Seems fairly clear that if GW doesn't produce it (even in proxyable form in AoS as is the case with Vamps etc), then there is literally no reason to expect people not to use 3rd parties, as it is virtually the only way to collect them.

But there is a difference between someone designing and selling their  version of chaos dwarves (or whichever army) and someone just scanning existing models to sell. It's theft pure and simple. 

People seem to think it's okay to do with GW because it's GW but it doesn't matter who's IP is being used, it's still theft. 

There are so many great talented designers out there making amazing sculpts and 3d printing is showing itself to be a incredible resource but sadly there is a dark side to it with people looking to make money by stealing talented artists work. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ogregut said:

But there is a difference between someone designing and selling their  version of chaos dwarves (or whichever army) and someone just scanning existing models to sell. It's theft pure and simple. 

People seem to think it's okay to do with GW because it's GW but it doesn't matter who's IP is being used, it's still theft. 

There are so many great talented designers out there making amazing sculpts and 3d printing is showing itself to be a incredible resource but sadly there is a dark side to it with people looking to make money by stealing talented artists work. 

Well had somewhat got the wrong end of the stick and was talking more about 3rd party, guess that is what I get joining a conversation at its end and not really looking through the whole thing.

That said when it comes to recasts, imo I am not that concerned with it ethically if it is something like Chaos Dwarfs who GW have not supported for donkeys years. Much like in the video game space if a game is not supported or even sold really anymore then I really am not going to condemn piracy of it, even if I do not go in for that myself. Obviously it is better to go 3rd party though, however I seem to remember GW has been hitting 1 or 2 of those with Cease and Desists, which does tend to hurt that as an option.

I think it is more that most people simply have no sympathy for GW, their pricing being absurd (40%ish rise in prices as I recall since 2016 when inflation has been around 25% since then at least in the UK, and thats not to mention the crazy margins they make), anti-consumer practices like invalidating armybooks 6 months after their launch as well as arguably their FOMO release strategies.... I'll definitely condemn recasts of current lines, if one wants they can go 3rd party, but if GW hasn't produced them in ages and as I recall is stopping 3rd party producers of them, well I simply don't care if someone recasts models which may well have been out of production for over 20 years (of course the Tamurkhan stuff is a lot less but the point is still the same).

Forget it.

It's more interesting to say that the new Grombrindal - White Dwarf miniature is actually quite easy to put on a square base. Now I can play the old long beard properly in the Old World.

I also removed the lil "AoS trinkets". It's just hanging from the beard and separate from the main body, so no problem at all and I didn't even need to hide any damage.

Next step, to paint it...

Grombrindal2024.JPG

Edited by Sarouan
Better things to focus on
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2