Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

I wonder if the reason they're painting and presenting so many old k8ist is less because they don't plan to update them but more because they want to present a book full of a wide range of full color images of painted miniatures? A few people have noted that they're heavily leaning on nostalgia with classic green flock and older style scenery. Filling the book with photos of classic models could be part of that approach. That way they can show players that their old arms are still valid and useable right away, they can resell these old kits and they can have a book full of exciting images instead of just showing off a few new models.

Anyway, my point is that they may still plan/hope to release updated versions of a lot of these kits eventually. It may even be that offering a bunch of older metal and plastic in the first few months is just a  stop gap plan as they fill out the armies one or two at a time.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GhostShark said:

I wonder if the reason they're painting and presenting so many old k8ist is less because they don't plan to update them but more because they want to present a book full of a wide range of full color images of painted miniatures? A few people have noted that they're heavily leaning on nostalgia with classic green flock and older style scenery. Filling the book with photos of classic models could be part of that approach. That way they can show players that their old arms are still valid and useable right away, they can resell these old kits and they can have a book full of exciting images instead of just showing off a few new models.

Anyway, my point is that they may still plan/hope to release updated versions of a lot of these kits eventually. It may even be that offering a bunch of older metal and plastic in the first few months is just a  stop gap plan as they fill out the armies one or two at a time.

As much as I would like that to be true, I don't think that GW has historically done "stop gaps" like this. I think it's more likely that we are just stuck for the next ~5 years or so with whatever old models don't get replaced in the initial update.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

So that is the old Dwarfs. Are those the old elves?

Will be interesting to see how many kits they will try to sell across all the factions?

Yes, as in 8th edition White Lions that have since been discontinued. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

• Thanks 1

The Old World project has managed to catch my imagination. I have conceived of a desire to build a Dark Elf army for the occasion, as I used to run Dark Elves back in 3rd edition. I wonder if they will reintroduce to 3rd ed combat resolution? I feel it is more fun than later combat res rules.

Regarding base sizes, I initially thought that I'd stick with the original sizes to be backward compatible. But, after studying the 21st Century Dark Elf minis, I think the larger base sizes make sense. In fact, they should have done the larger base sizes in 5th or 6th edition.

I am hopeful for  2030 release date so that I might get my army painted in time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Can't wait to add some White Lions to my high elf army. I have 12 metal ones, but refuse to pay those insane prices. I really really hope that we get a TK vs Brett box as it really seems to be pointing in that direction. 

Hopefully, the older style army/battalion boxes make a return. Wonder if they will gave us new base size information once the 40k push is done. 

Edited by Tervindar
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Tervindar said:

Can't wait to add some White Lions to my high elf army. I have 12 metal ones, but refuse to pay those insane prices. I really really hope that we get a TK vs Brett box as it really seems to be pointing in that direction. 

Hopefully, the older style army/battalion boxes make a return. Wonder if they will gave us new base size information once the 40k push is done. 

I can’t wait to build a lumineth army out of white high elf models😂

20 hours ago, michu said:

I'm definitely going to play both games. And mix kits.

Me too.

The Dark Elves will be TOW only, as I can’t get excited about the Mortal Realms version of them. If only they weren’t in order. Actually, I did once consider the idea of running a good aligned army, for a moment or two. Then I quickly came to my senses and laughed at such a silly idea.

I have a sizeable Chaos collection. I have set aside a pile of unbuilt kits that I could use to built  a Warriors of Chaos army. Some things could be used in both. EG: marauders. I suspect they will get 25mm square bases as they used to have. And they are 25mm round in AoS. It doesn’t matter which base they are on outside of tournaments.

AoS Chaos Knights and Chosen both have Storm Cast helmets as trophies, so I would need different models for TOW. I wonder if there will be an alternative model released for these?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Me too.

The Dark Elves will be TOW only, as I can’t get excited about the Mortal Realms version of them. If only they weren’t in order. Actually, I did once consider the idea of running a good aligned army, for a moment or two. Then I quickly came to my senses and laughed at such a silly idea.

I have a sizeable Chaos collection. I have set aside a pile of unbuilt kits that I could use to built  a Warriors of Chaos army. Some things could be used in both. EG: marauders. I suspect they will get 25mm square bases as they used to have. And they are 25mm round in AoS. It doesn’t matter which base they are on outside of tournaments.

AoS Chaos Knights and Chosen both have Storm Cast helmets as trophies, so I would need different models for TOW. I wonder if there will be an alternative model released for these?

I actually just clipped off the stormcast trophies from the new chaos warriors/knights, as I'm planning on using them for ToW. GEEEDUBBBS please tell us base sizes lol. I want to keep working on my projects, but feels not great leavingi painted projects on temporary bases. 

21 hours ago, michu said:

I'm definitely going to play both games. And mix kits.

I'm planing on having one "main" army for each game. I have KOs/Votann/NL for AoS/40k/Heresy, but I don't know what to chose for TOW.

I will wait until I see the rules because I don't enjoy playing with Dwarfs, they seems to be in need of new roles/units to play with (plis GW, release the Thunderbarge). I enjoyed playing Dark Elves in 6th, but I lost ALL my games (note:I'm not a a tournament player, but I think that I'm not that bad...).

I've been 3d printing an empire and dwarf army as the later plastics for both of them were severely lacking imho, the 6th ed empire state troops were far better than the ones from 8th, but planning on getting Bretonnia and Tomb Kings. I think my "main" will be either the lizardmen or Bretonnia. 

2 hours ago, Tervindar said:

I've been 3d printing an empire and dwarf army as the later plastics for both of them were severely lacking imho, the 6th ed empire state troops were far better than the ones from 8th, but planning on getting Bretonnia and Tomb Kings. I think my "main" will be either the lizardmen or Bretonnia. 

Yeah highlander miniature got me as well.

i’m actually keen on painting a good amount of dwarf warriors made by their files they sell.

amazing models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah highlander miniature got me as well.

i’m actually keen on painting a good amount of dwarf warriors made by their files they sell.

amazing models.

Would HIGHLY recommend the HM dwarves, so far, I have painted close to a hundred of their dwarves for my army. Probably have around 30ish or so left and I'm wrapping up that project, will have enough options to slot in/out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Tervindar said:

Would HIGHLY recommend the HM dwarves, so far, I have painted close to a hundred of their dwarves for my army. Probably have around 30ish or so left and I'm wrapping up that project, will have enough options to slot in/out. 

Would it be possible to maybe see some photos?

I would love to see those dwarf painted.

1 hour ago, Tervindar said:

Here are some of the pictures. Again, would highly recommend if it’s feasible for folks. 

EDE70044-561A-48DE-AF75-1284AEFCCCB1.jpeg

7168C552-1992-409C-A494-550F45FD64C9.jpeg

F4031EAA-6396-4BF5-8A7D-7569A4754201.jpeg

B9680853-AC2F-4A9B-9B27-942A21DD733B.jpeg

Since we're dwarfposting - I've also just had an army of Highlands Minis dwarfs printed to play some 6th/7th games with friends who kept their old armies in preparations of ToW.

I was lacking inspo to get working on those bad boys but this post has inspired me so much. Stellar work sir!

• LOVE IT! 1