AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Okay this is the first draft. V1.0. Minimum Tyrant's in order to fit more Leadbelchers. I was thinking of doing a Goremand for some utility. Maybe that can be V2.0. Looks shooty, stompy, chompy at least on papers. Snipers via Ironblasters. Multiple threats that cant be ignored. 

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts

Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
2 x Leadbelchers (80)
Ironblaster (120)
Ironblaster (120)
Tyrant's Gutguard (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 134

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Archibald said:

Would you recommend spaming endless spells in a Bloodgullet list? I have 80 points left and don't want to use it on 2x2 cats.

It sounds more fun to cast a lot of endless spells. Balewind is set i guess. So 40p to play with.

The jaws and Maelstorm? Or do you have another good idea?

If they are not worth it, i will just field my newly painted Gorger.😅

We can only take 3 Endless Spells now, that's a new rule for Matched Play I think from the GHB.  But they're certainly useful!  I might recommend the Balewind Vortex for a Butcher, Emerald Lifeswarm, and Chronomantic Cogs.  The Butcher could have the Wizardflesh Apron, and cast 3 spells per turn atop the Vortex at +1 next to the Mawpot.  Not too shabby! 

Fit in a Slaughtermaster (for the potential Troggoth Guts) and FLoSH with Splatter-cleaver, and that helps with healing even more.   Guess the Butcher's Band is good for the healing.  I like the Goremand for the 2x Cauldron effect, but healing is pretty nice as a theme.

I haven't looked at Ghyran lately, do they have an artefact to help with healing?  Probably not as good as the Splatter-cleaver though.

When I set up, say, a Skal of 2 hunters and 12 frostsabers in ambush, do I have to decide during setup how I divide them up (in 1x12 or 2x6 or 6/4/2 or whatever), and who goes with which hunter? Or can I decide that when they come out of ambush (so I can adapt to the situation)?

Edited by Beastmaster

46 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

When I set up, say, a Skal of 2 hunters and 12 frostsabers in ambush, do I have to decide during setup how I divide them up (in 1x12 or 2x6 or 6/4/2 or whatever), and who goes with which hunter? Or can I decide that when they come out of ambush (so I can adapt to the situation)?

While building your armylist you deside how big your units are. You can not change that afterwards.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

We can only take 3 Endless Spells now, that's a new rule for Matched Play I think from the GHB.  But they're certainly useful!  I might recommend the Balewind Vortex for a Butcher, Emerald Lifeswarm, and Chronomantic Cogs.  The Butcher could have the Wizardflesh Apron, and cast 3 spells per turn atop the Vortex at +1 next to the Mawpot.  Not too shabby! 

Fit in a Slaughtermaster (for the potential Troggoth Guts) and FLoSH with Splatter-cleaver, and that helps with healing even more.   Guess the Butcher's Band is good for the healing.  I like the Goremand for the 2x Cauldron effect, but healing is pretty nice as a theme.

I haven't looked at Ghyran lately, do they have an artefact to help with healing?  Probably not as good as the Splatter-cleaver though.

Thanks for the answer man!

The balewind is set i guess, but that mens i have 40 p left to spend on endless spells. So no liveswarm or cogs...

What spells would you put in? Maelstorm plus a 30p spell sounds good to me.🤔

4 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Okay new crazy ideas time...has anyone tried mass Ironguts or mass Mournfangs?

One TTS game with 3x8 Ironguts. It works, it's a bit one dimensional though. If you play a clever opponent with multiple screening units, you're just never getting forward. I didn't play a clever opponent and just walked all over him. (by not clever I mean he didn't bring any screens. Clever man, no screens)

2 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

You decide the unit sizes before hand. But I suspect your question is i you Set up Hunter A in ambush together with saber unit A during deployment. Can you then set up Saber unit A with Hunter B during the game?

Reading the rules to me it seems you can only set up the unit of cats that joined that specific Hunter. So If cats A joint Hunter A, Then only Cats A can join Hunter A when it's set up. 
Relevant rule quote in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

d, you can say that it is joining this model in ambush as a reserve unit. 1 unit can join this model in this way. At the end of your movement phase, you can set up this model anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9" from any enemy units. You can then set up any unit that joined this model in ambush wholly within 12" of this model and more than 9" from any enemy units

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

One TTS game with 3x8 Ironguts. It works, it's a bit one dimensional though. If you play a clever opponent with multiple screening units, you're just never getting forward. I didn't play a clever opponent and just walked all over him. (by not clever I mean he didn't bring any screens. Clever man, no screens)

Thats a lot. I was thinking of just 3x4 lol then bring support stuff and other distractions like a FLoSH

On 10/2/2020 at 3:30 AM, Zorki said:

The Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws ? Cool model/ fluff model + interesting mw

I second that emotion.  Burning Head is pretty neat too....but in honour of the Great Maw/Gulping God, the jaws win out I'd say.  Get two, then you can make a Colossal Squig from the other one, and use it as a reason to make a Gloomspite Army, and then you'll have Troggoths to ally with the Ogors.  Circle of life :D

On 10/2/2020 at 5:02 AM, Kramer said:

From memory I brought something like 

2x slaughtermaster, hunter, Some cats. 3x8 ironguts, tyrant.  

Cool!  Which Command Trait and Artefact did you use? 

I'd probably go with the Tyrant as General, Crushing Bulk Command Trait, and Trophy Rack in case the Ironguts fight some heroes or monsters.  I am tinkering with the all Ironguts now (hard to fit some arms with those Mournfang gargant hackers); but I also want to tinker with a Leadbelchers version for Underguts.  Then they can fight each other!

I played the following list vs Legion Of Blood in Escalation last night. Victory for the Ogor.

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Leaders
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Ribcracker
Icebrow Hunter (120)
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!  
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver  
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Battleline
8 x Ironguts (440)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
3 x Ogor Gluttons (120)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
Units
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
3 x Maneaters (180)
6 x Mournfang Pack (420)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154

Key notes, Neferata neutered the Ironguts with -2 to hit from spells and abilities, they eventually still killed her though. I messed up the Frost Sabres charge by not checking the range of the hunters command ability, so when they successfully charged but the hunter failed, the cats weren’t getting the extra attacks I’d saved my command points for. With the Butcher, I made the same mistake as I did with the Firebelly in my first game and had him babysit the Mawpot, due to arcane terrain he was able to get +2 to cast later in the game though. Hunter died because he got hit by a “can’t attack” ability and a Coven Throne ate him.

what’s the general opinion on Maneaters? They get 4 -1 rend 2 damage attacks and their shooting is better than the Tyrants pistol (which really bugs me  actually). Being only 3 models, they don’t look like a threat and my opponent ignored them until they started eating  his skeletons 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Cool!  Which Command Trait and Artefact did you use? 

I'd probably go with the Tyrant as General, Crushing Bulk Command Trait, and Trophy Rack in case the Ironguts fight some heroes or monsters.  I am tinkering with the all Ironguts now (hard to fit some arms with those Mournfang gargant hackers); but I also want to tinker with a Leadbelchers version for Underguts.  Then they can fight each other!

I can’t remember. But I reckon it was tribeless and something like:

Blood feast, greasy deluge, crushing bulk, sky Titan pistols. 

• Thanks 1

I think I've come up with something pretty creative. It may not be ultra-competitive against shooting armies but I think it would be strong against most melee matchups. Mawtribes dont have the most tricks, especially when compared to other armies, but this army tries to use most of them.

It controls the center of the board with netters/fanatic's. The Thundertusk pairs up with Leadbelchers. If you position correctly, essentially base to base with all the Leadbelchers, if they get charged they will always fight first thanks to Alvagr Ancient.

Sabers and Blast Keg Hunter are a decent threat to backfield objective holders and Frostlord is built to tank and go in for that 1 super important fight of the game to take off key piece of opponent. It gives you some tools you dont normally get in our typical, ultra offensive lists. What do you guys think?

LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Alvagr Rune-tokens
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
UNITS
40 x Stabbas (260) (spears and nets)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
12 x Leadbelchers (480)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

4 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

I think I've come up with something pretty creative. It may not be ultra-competitive against shooting armies but I think it would be strong against most melee matchups. Mawtribes dont have the most tricks, especially when compared to other armies, but this army tries to use most of them.

It controls the center of the board with netters/fanatic's. The Thundertusk pairs up with Leadbelchers. If you position correctly, essentially base to base with all the Leadbelchers, if they get charged they will always fight first thanks to Alvagr Ancient.

Sabers and Blast Keg Hunter are a decent threat to backfield objective holders and Frostlord is built to tank and go in for that 1 super important fight of the game to take off key piece of opponent. It gives you some tools you dont normally get in our typical, ultra offensive lists. What do you guys think?

LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Alvagr Rune-tokens
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
UNITS
40 x Stabbas (260) (spears and nets)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
12 x Leadbelchers (480)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

We can only ally with troggoths and gargants. 
so you either need to play Destruction instead of mawtribes or you have to drop tha stabbas and fanatics

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sartxac said:

But in our army the mega-garcant aren't good for take objectives

They are fun to kick them cliser together i guess. because if you bring one you'll be very light on units 😅

But no, I dont think they really offer something that we on't have ourselves. although a trio of gargants would be cool. But I don't think that's possible right?