AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

Ahoy hobbyists!

Longtime lurker, first post on this thread. That being said, I'm thinking about buying into Mawtribes (the Destruction itch is real) and was curious if a mass Thundertusk list has any legs, or if I'm better of trying to build something else. To be honest, I think my competitive days are well behind me, but I do enjoy actually playing the game and not getting dumpstered every match.  

That being said,  let me know how this looks at first glance:

Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Chamon

General: Huskard on Thundertusk w/Blood Vulture (300)

• Everwinter Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
  • Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
  • Artefact of Power: Plate of Perfect Protection
  • Mount Trait: Rimefrost Hide

Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)

• Artefact of Power: Brand of the Svard
  • Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Huskard on Stonehorn w/Blood Vulture (320)

• Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline:

• Thundertusk Beastriders w/Blood Vulture (270)

Battalions:

• Torrbad (120)

Total Points: 1950 (or 2000 if I want the CP, but I have no clue what I would use it for; I think a potential triumph is better)

I feel like the list does a lot of mortal wounds (Hopefully at least 5 per shooting phase just off of the Vultures), and could be a lot of fun. Just let me know if this is an "Auto-lose every match"-list or if there is a generic "Hey do this if you're buying into Mawtribes"-build. (My memory is foggy and I won't read all of the pages here). 

Thank you all, cheers!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pariah255 said:

I feel like the list does a lot of mortal wounds (Hopefully at least 5 per shooting phase just off of the Vultures), and could be a lot of fun. Just let me know if this is an "Auto-lose every match"-list or if there is a generic "Hey do this if you're buying into Mawtribes"-build. (My memory is foggy and I won't read all of the pages here). 

Looks very much like the list I was building towards until the new tome nerfed the Thundertusk snowball.  That said, I don’t think it is auto-lose every match as you could be devastating against any horde armies (rolling up to 48 dice at 4+ to do MWs against units with 20+ models... well Battleshock should cover the rest) or, as you note with a good chance of 5 MW each turn, for armies dependent on 5W models for keys buffs. 

Your charges would also be potentially devastating with 6 chances again for those MWs on 4+ for each charge roll (~42 thus time on average if all 6 make the charge).   The problem I see is after you make the Charge as in regular combat those Thundertusks just aren’t going to be putting out as much damage as you want and while the -1 to Hit is nice it is unlikely to be enough to make them as resilient as your Stonehorns.

Against elite armies with after saves and/or their own MW spam though you may be looking at regularly going out, Albright in a blaze (freezing blast?) of glory!

Still, I think it could be a lot of fun to play and you have me tempted to try and go for it again despite the nerfed snowball...

On 4/11/2021 at 10:22 AM, Pariah255 said:

I feel like the list does a lot of mortal wounds (Hopefully at least 5 per shooting phase just off of the Vultures), and could be a lot of fun. Just let me know if this is an "Auto-lose every match"-list or if there is a generic "Hey do this if you're buying into Mawtribes"-build.

Definitely not an "Auto-lose every match" list, though it's a long way from the most powerful lists the Beastclaw can muster. It's got some nice synergies like auto-casting all the Huskard's prayers, and throwing snowballs is always fun (if sadly no longer very effective). But the Frostlord is going to have to do most of the heavy lifting at the end of the day, and if you lose him early you'll struggle to keep up. Thundertusks just aren't very good in melee, and even with the Huskard's healing they will die fast to the amount of damage most lists can put out.

Since you asked, I'd suggest two variations of a generic "strong" Beastclaw build:

2x Frostlord on Stonehorn
Huskard on Stonehorn
Stonehorn Beastriders
4x Mournfang Pack
2x Mournfang Pack
Eurlbad battalion

This is my preferred tournament list. Two Frostlords are just too fast and deadly for many (even top-tier) armies to cope with, and the Eurlbad gives a solid damage boost to everything else.

Frostlord on Stonehorn
Huskard on Stonehorn
Stonehorn Beastriders
3x4 Mournfang Pack
Eurlbad battalion

This is basically the "lite" version of the first list - a bit gentler for friendly games where you don't want to table your opponents in the first few turns. The main draw for this one is that you can build it with only three Start Collecting: Beastclaw Raiders boxes, so it's the cheapest tournament-ready army in the game (while still being a blast to play and easy for new players to pick up since it has such straightforward mechanics).

However, if what you really want to do is run a pack of Thundertusks, you should go for it! Always follow your heart rather than what anyone on the internet tells you is the "right" choice. Having an army you love and connect with is way more important.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, Sartxac said:

I'm seeing tournaments of age of sigmar and i can't understand the strategy of this list:

image.png.b0aaab2c37e0780c1722a0185603ae80.png

It is the 5th position in the following tournament (59 players):

https://tabletop.to/grandhammer-battle-of-the-digital-realms

I too have been intrigued by this new all-yeti lists. I believe the strategy is a combination of flexibility and deathstar. For the deathstar, the winterbite command ability is the key factor, allowing yetis to fight first for 1 CP. Firebelly + winterbite army trait + yeti's natural -1 to be hit makes you -2 against most attacks. I can imagine that being very hard to assault into. For the flexibility, lots of little units give you options for objective and to pick off weaker foes, the stonehorn makes an awesome fast bully, objective taker or cruise missile, and the hunter+sabres pin them in their deployment zone protecting their own objectives by threatening deepstrikes or allow yetis to attack unmolested by charging units, dying, and then allowing yetis to pile in from 6 inches the kill after the unit has fought. Skaal is just for the extra artifact, mount trait and CP. Your whole army perpetually fighting first is brutal. 6 inch pile-ins are also amazing.

My thoughts on this in particular

1) Looks hard to pilot- lots of options make for lots of chances to mess it up

2) I'm not sure I like the firebelly. a single cast wizard who needs an 8 cast to do anything seems not worth his points. I might drop it. In a strong showing of poor game design, a lot of the armies with the best shooting also have the best casting to shut it down anyway, or just don't care (lumineth, hallowheart, seraphon, tzeentch)

3) Triumph bid seems a bit excessive. 

4) I've found yeti's a bit pillowfisted, but maybe with stiking first they'd be better, and maybe a critical mass is necessary. I tried 9 a few times and they just didn't do enough, but it probably is unfair of me to expect 110 points of yetis to take on 200 point units by themselves.

5) I love sneaky armies. This is making me really want to try this list or something. I might need to make some more yetis. 

6) Who am I to judge, they did amazing with an off-meta list. Certainly looks fun. 

Edited by Frowny
  • Like 2

Neat game final game against DoK. Super interesting. He could have won if he'd gotten the turn at the right moment, and was still in it until he failed some shorter charges. 

It is still obvious to me the power level difference between the two armies though. Comparing shadowstalkers (9 models, start on board teleport, 100 points) to the hunter (120 points, 2 models) makes his play  seem even more impressive. 

He had problems with exactly some of the same problems I did with yetis- they Just don't do quite enough damage sometimes. 110 points of yetis totally failing to kill just 5 heartrenders (5 wounds, 5+ save) is definitely consistent with that. Doing 0 damage to Morathi (who only has 4+ save) and therefore allowing her to live on 1 wound one turn is also totally in-form for them when I was playing. Just slig 

If I were to trial his list Id go

• FLOSH
  • Huskard on Thundertusk (general)
  • Icebrow Hunter
  • Yetis x3
  • Yetis x3
  • Yetis x3
  • Yetis x3
  • Yetis x3
  • Ironguts x8
  • Frost Sabres x2
  • Frost Sabres x2
  • Skaal

In effect, trading his CP, triumph bid, 2 dogs, 3 yetis, and the firebelly for the big beefy ironguts unit. Gives the list another hard hitting puncher that must be answered at some point, and might help with the lower damage of the yetis. Alternatively, could do another FLOSH  + CP or dogs instead, I think a second big killer would help.  

Another possibility is to drop the Huskard. with 300 points you could get 2 more dogs (and make the Hunter the general to satisfy battleline, and get 3x 2 more yetis. Ironically, even in an all-yeti army, I'm not sure you really want a thundertusk. 

But then, who am I to judge? An awesome guy with a cool list did way better than I would have at such a tourney. My hat is off to him,

Edited by Frowny
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Blair said:

Started painting my new slaughtermaster build today, I'll add some base details/features once I've painted him

What your thoughts on the concept and build

IMG_1426.jpg

It’s a large base to fill.

What about some more models to fill it? Gnoblars making way for the big one? Or some animals snapping at his catch? Or some bloody leftover corpse bits?

10 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

It’s a large base to fill.

What about some more models to fill it? Gnoblars making way for the big one? Or some animals snapping at his catch? Or some bloody leftover corpse bits?

That's kinda what I was thinking,  an animal or 2 and some left over body parts on the ground 

It's a large base to fill out

13 hours ago, Blair said:

Started painting my new slaughtermaster build today, I'll add some base details/features once I've painted him

What your thoughts on the concept and build

IMG_1426.jpg

I don't know if you get this pulled off, but how about some Gnoblars carrying torches under that cage - to prepare the "meal" inside? Mobile food preperation for the Slaughtermaster?

• 2 weeks later...

For an Underguts army, seems like we absolutely need a battalion to get that Trophy Rack on the Tyrant.  What's the best battalion to take then?  At first I thought a Goremand, cuz we can include all the battleline units including a maxed unit of Leadbelchers.  Then tack on the Tyrant and like 3 Ironblasters.  Is that sensible? 

Or is a Skal with a Hunter and a few cats the better way, then maxing out on Leadbelchers and Ironblasters?  The Hunter could pop up with the blast keg I suppose.

I sold my Skaven Skryre army; figured the Ogors can shoot pretty decent for when I want a shooty army, and hold their water in combat too.  Less tricksy, but meh, I prefer a more direct approach anyways.

I’ve gotten a lot of utility out of both Goremand and Butcher’s Band so if you have a preference for either the Slaughtermaster or Butcher I think you’re fine going with you’re own rule of cool.  With Underguts shouldn’t be an issue but make sure to account for the 4x unit of Leadbelchers to make them battleline.  That should still leave plenty of room for other fun stuff.

Skal I’ve found useful in maxing out BCR lists or as a cheap 2nd Battalion if I’m really loading up on the artefacts in a Gutbusters list but personally just not sure it really helps here.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:22 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

For an Underguts army, seems like we absolutely need a battalion to get that Trophy Rack on the Tyrant.  What's the best battalion to take then?  At first I thought a Goremand, cuz we can include all the battleline units including a maxed unit of Leadbelchers.  Then tack on the Tyrant and like 3 Ironblasters.  Is that sensible? 

Or is a Skal with a Hunter and a few cats the better way, then maxing out on Leadbelchers and Ironblasters?  The Hunter could pop up with the blast keg I suppose.

I sold my Skaven Skryre army; figured the Ogors can shoot pretty decent for when I want a shooty army, and hold their water in combat too.  Less tricksy, but meh, I prefer a more direct approach anyways.

Most lists ive seen in this fashion use the Tyrant's Gutguard

I'm looking for help with my first Ogor list. I've played a little bit with StD, but otherwise I'm new to warhammer. Would like help creating something that's decent for friendly games and based on what I already own.

I got the Battleforce from last Christmas and also wanna buy a BCR SCB to have a mixed list, if that can be made good..?

This is what I would wish for as a foundation, but please let me know if it's a bad backbone and if it's not, how would you finish it?

(Please don't make me use 40 gnoblars. Haha)

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe:

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Big Name:
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Units
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling clubs or Prey hackers...

Artillery
Ironblaster (120)

Total: 1600 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

Yes, that is an excellent start to a variety of ogors lists. I would heartily recommend just trying some games, deciding what you like and going from there. 

If you wanted the full experience, a butcher or slaughter master would be a good step to see if you enjoy magic and get the hang of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I face a lot of shooting and magic. I dont play the Eurlbad builds and I think I've built a pretty competitive list with some counterplay. It's not perfect because we don't have too many tools to interact but it has some defensive tools.

• -1 to hit from shooting in early game
  • Against melee armies you can thrust 8 Ironguts and Thundertusk in middle of board and always strike first
  • 1 Auto-unbind from Thundertusk
  • Ambush for late game objectives or early game disruption 
  • Not many buffs or crazy synergies, but Ironguts are our best units based on warscroll

It's not a ton of tools, but it still has 3 big hammers and some ability to fight back against things happening outside of combat phase. Do you all see any opportunities to improve this list? 

Mawtribe: Winterbite
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- Artefact: Frostfang
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (300)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Skullshards of Dragaar
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Wintertouched
UNITS
8 x Ironguts (440)
8 x Ironguts (440)
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

• Like 2

I really like that @Warbossironteef

I don't know if it's an improvement or a sidestep, but I'd personally take 20 Gnoblars and a triumph bid over the unit of 6 Frost Sabres.  I really value chaff screens highly, and it give you a triumph bid.  You still fulfil a minimum Skal.  I'd value protecting your key units over fighting with the 6 cats personally.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 4:18 PM, Mykillerusername said:

I'm looking for help with my first Ogor list. I've played a little bit with StD, but otherwise I'm new to warhammer. Would like help creating something that's decent for friendly games and based on what I already own.

I got the Battleforce from last Christmas and also wanna buy a BCR SCB to have a mixed list, if that can be made good..?

This is what I would wish for as a foundation, but please let me know if it's a bad backbone and if it's not, how would you finish it?

(Please don't make me use 40 gnoblars. Haha)

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe:

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Big Name:
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)

Units
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Culling clubs or Prey hackers...

Artillery
Ironblaster (120)

Total: 1600 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

You have a great start to a solid regular Ogor army (no Mawtribe) or a Bloodgullet army.  I would highly recommend a Slaughtermaster or Butcher, as then you can take a Goremand or Butcher's Band battalion. 

My vote is for Slaughtermaster/Goremand for the 2 cauldron buffs which are awesome if they go off, but Butcher is good too with his native spell and his Band for healing.  Then with Bloodgullet the wizards cast 2 spells, and you give the Splatter Cleaver to your Frostlord and he can usually get himself and a few other units to heal, as his spear becomes the Cleaver and that is good at doing some damage to activate the effect.

So either wizard +140, another 2 Mournfangs +140 (either separate unit or bigger unit of 4 is good), and another Ironblaster +120=+400.  If you take the battalion your Tyrant could take the Trophy Rack which helps out the Ironblasters I think, and he can make your Gluttons not run away nicely too.  Or just convert the Tyrant into another wizard instead and toss more spells out, taking a wizarding artefact instead (like the Apron or Shrunken Head or Bloodrock, all very good).

Bloodgullet to me is the best mixed Mawtribe.  Underguts demands so many Leadbelchers and Ironblasters, and Meatfist so many Gluttons.  The BCR tribes aren't too bad though for mixed either; but you'd need another big monster or more Mournfangs to make those work for you best.

17 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I really like that @Warbossironteef

I don't know if it's an improvement or a sidestep, but I'd personally take 20 Gnoblars and a triumph bid over the unit of 6 Frost Sabres.  I really value chaff screens highly, and it give you a triumph bid.  You still fulfil a minimum Skal.  I'd value protecting your key units over fighting with the 6 cats personally.

It's definitely worth trying out. I have 40 of the little ****** and they seem prime candidates for some Contrast paint. :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

It's definitely worth trying out. I have 40 of the little ****** and they seem prime candidates for some Contrast paint. :) 

I dont know if it would be considered 'good news' but youll have 100 more points due to the Skal battalion going away. So theres that

On 5/15/2021 at 6:15 AM, Warbossironteef said:

@PlasticCraic What's your guess/feelings about Kragnos? Do you think he will be a good Anvil for Mawtribes? I miss my Ethereal Stonehorn. I'm guessing he'll be more expensive than a FLOSH but he's spell defense seems great. It could be a nice fit. I really hope he offers some more synergy with Destro armies than +1 Bravery.... 

I did a write up on Kraggy:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2021/05/05/broken-realms-kragnos-reveal-hot-takes-and-wild-predictions/

I'm honestly not sure how well he'll work in Mawtribes specifically, def hoping he's got more to offer than a +1 Bravery bubble though!  My guess (and it's just a guess) is that you'll be better off running him in "Kragnos's Not Waaagh" with its own Allegiance kit, if BR delivers that.  If he's about 600 points, his warscroll would need to be pretty special to make the total package stronger than a double-Frostlord Eurlbad.

The exception is if they go Full Archaon and give him all the keywords - if he get Mawtribes and Beastclaw Raiders, then he's interesting.  But quality of life in Destruction tends not to be that high, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much!  

Also, have you tried Alvagr Rune Tokens?  I've found them almost as good as Ethereal.  I normally run one Murderhorn and one Alvagr Crunchorn, works really well.

• Like 1

I haven't tried those Rune Tokens.  But it does seem that with a fast hard-hitting army, just denying that 1 nasty spell buys enough time to get in there and do some real work....before the nasty spell goes off again.  I have tried the Alvagr Thundertusk but he stayed out of the way of combat in that game.  Saw someone using that in a list with Ironguts many pages back; intriguing usage there.

I hope but don't expect Kragnos to offer any real utility to basically any Destruction army.  Also his horns look like Dragonball Z hair, or long ponytail eyebrows.  Those need to change.  If his head is big enough maybe those tusks from an Ironblaster, and then his puny looking club could be the cannon.  Then the Rhinox and Chariot could be a Tuskgor Chariot for my Beasts of Chaos; for which Kragnos should have been anyways.

Oh yeah, he should be screaming louder too, and smashing something.  Man, I might have to resculpt that guy A LOT!

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • Like 1

I've tried the Rune-Tokens quite a few times, and I always forget to use them at the right time. You want the effect the most when your opponent gets an unexpected double-turn or a first-turn alpha strike, but by then it's too late. I found I was only utilising them about one game in five, whereas the auto-dispel from the Skullshards comes up almost every game and makes opponents Big Mad. But if you're better at forward-planning than me, the Rune-Tokens are (presumably) awesome!

Edited by Kadeton
  • Like 1