Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

55 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Tried another game against Zaitrec Teclis. Not sure there is any way around that though as there's no reliable way to kill Teclis early that I can think of.

He does seem brutal against little heroes. I'm worried about a lot of cities lists because of him (or lord kroak) let alone any other list dependent on 5-6W little heroes. Even +2 to dispel is no good against them. Maybe a small unit of shadow warriors? Force him to defend his backfield. Probably can't kill even kroak, but at least force him to stay back a bit so you can win on the front faster, before your heroes all die. 3x30 ironbreakers seems a bit too many. What about 2x30 and then using the points for some Irondrakes. Gives you BOTH the mobility of the darkshards AND the firepower of the drakes. Alternatively, since you are in the melee direction already, hammerers? A bit more independent and still killy if all the characters die. 

13 hours ago, Frowny said:

He does seem brutal against little heroes. I'm worried about a lot of cities lists because of him (or lord kroak) let alone any other list dependent on 5-6W little heroes. Even +2 to dispel is no good against them. Maybe a small unit of shadow warriors? Force him to defend his backfield. Probably can't kill even kroak, but at least force him to stay back a bit so you can win on the front faster, before your heroes all die. 3x30 ironbreakers seems a bit too many. What about 2x30 and then using the points for some Irondrakes. Gives you BOTH the mobility of the darkshards AND the firepower of the drakes. Alternatively, since you are in the melee direction already, hammerers? A bit more independent and still killy if all the characters die. 

I'm not quite as worried about Kroak. He can do more damage but there is also a lot more opportunity to disrupt him. Teclis can cast his main damage spell through spellportal, and his forward units can cast the endless spells.

Shadow warriors aren't going to be helpful at all as a threat.

So far the Ironbreakers have been great. They are the only part of the list that has really lived up to expectations. The problem is that Teclis and Light of Eltharion have just enough offense to collapse units quickly once the heroes are dead. Battleshock becomes the killer then.

In basically any other matchup where you can keep your heroes alive longer this shouldn't be as much of a problem.

So far considering:

Arkonaut admiral, general, hawk-eyed, seer stone amulet

Freeguild general

Hurricanum with battlemage

10x arkonauts (retinue)

10x pistoliers

10x outriders

5x outriders

5x outriders

5x outriders

Ironclad

3x gyrocopters, steam cannons

3x Ätherwings

all the kharadron ride in the ironclad. If given t1, gyros nuke a hoard, ironclad runs up a flank and both try to do damage+lock them in their deployment zone. Outriders move up, one squad as a screen. Hopefully the next turn they can all unload without moving with the general command ability. 

Ätherwings takes far away objective to keep me even on points while everyone else flank overloads.

If given 2nd move, hopefully evreryone advances up enough that I can unload everyone t1 and just do damage that way.

Ideally one squad of outriders makes a screen so the others won't have to move to shoot.

I wish I could fit in the battalion but the griffon seems too many points for this approach

Could really be any other kharadron hero to go in the ironclad. I'm open to suggestions. I thought the +1 hit cup might be good, but I think you could make a case for the D3 heal on the endrinmaster or the displ+wind of the navigator. Maybe a navigator actually.

5 hours ago, Frowny said:

Could really be any other kharadron hero to go in the ironclad. I'm open to suggestions. I thought the +1 hit cup might be good, but I think you could make a case for the D3 heal on the endrinmaster or the displ+wind of the navigator. Maybe a navigator actually.

When I've used an Admiral in my KO armies, that +1 to hit hardly comes up.  Even with the bonus, Arkanauts & the Ironclad boarding weapons aren't going to put out much damage. The Endrinmaster heal is great for keeping your Ironclad at a high enough wound total to use the Fly High and Dissengage, though. Navigator is more situational, but he can be really good too. Or if you had the point, the Endrinmaster in Dirigible suit backs a pretty good punch himself.

6 hours ago, Frowny said:

Im with @WatcherintheWater. Navigator is a a pretty good choice. 

also take a look at the artefact options for both. If you have an artefact left it can definitely swing it. 
navigators flare pistal springs to mind. 

15 hours ago, Kramer said:

Im with @WatcherintheWater. Navigator is a a pretty good choice. 

also take a look at the artefact options for both. If you have an artefact left it can definitely swing it. 
navigators flare pistal springs to mind. 

Can you use the KO artifacts in a TE army? I always assumed that wasn't allowed, but I can't actually find it written down as a rule now.

So, I want to try an 'all cavalry' list, 2000 points, based around the battalion and drakespawn. The idea is to combine freeguild and order serpentis in 1 list. I think tempest eye is giving the most benefits via it's turn 1 extra move and +1 save. Plus, the battalion is really nice. The list would be as follows:

++Gryps and drakes++
++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Cities of Sigmar) [2,000pts] ++

+ Leader +

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage [280pts]
. Celestial Battlemage: 1. Aura of Glory

Dreadlord on Black Dragon [300pts]: 3. Zephyrite Banner, Lance of Spite and Tyrant Shield

+ Behemoth +

War Hydra [170pts]

+ Battleline +

Demigryph Knights [180pts]: 3 Demigryph Knights, Demigryph Knight's Halberd, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

+ Other +

Drakespawn Knights [260pts]: 2x 5 Drakespawn Knights, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

Gyrocopters [70pts]: Gyrocopters, Steam Gun

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Aetherguard Windrunners [740pts]
. Freeguild General on Griffon: 2. Hawk-eyed, General, Sigmarite Greathammer
. Freeguild Pistoliers: 5 Freeguild Pistoliers, Brace of Pistols, Trumpeters

+ Allegiance +

. Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar: Tempest's Eye
++ Total: [2,000pts] ++

Now, it is a work in progress and I would like some advice.

The battalion sticks together, the drake/hydra/drakespawn move as a block, and the gryphs are going solo to annoy a flank. The Gyrocopter feels odd, but I had 70 points to spare. A celestial hurricznum is included since I would like some "fast and mounted" magic. But maybe this is not enough. A sorceress (on foot) would also be nice, for her spell, but not for the synergie. 

Any advice? 

8 hours ago, Geoffreyvt said:

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Cities of Sigmar) [2,000pts] ++

+ Leader +

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage [280pts]
. Celestial Battlemage: 1. Aura of Glory

Dreadlord on Black Dragon [300pts]: 3. Zephyrite Banner, Lance of Spite and Tyrant Shield

+ Behemoth +

War Hydra [170pts]

+ Battleline +

Demigryph Knights [180pts]: 3 Demigryph Knights, Demigryph Knight's Halberd, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

+ Other +

Drakespawn Knights [260pts]: 2x 5 Drakespawn Knights, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

Gyrocopters [70pts]: Gyrocopters, Steam Gun

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Aetherguard Windrunners [740pts]

+ Allegiance +

. Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar: Tempest's Eye
++ Total: [2,000pts] ++

Now, it is a work in progress and I would like some advice.

The battalion sticks together, the drake/hydra/drakespawn move as a block, and the gryphs are going solo to annoy a flank. The Gyrocopter feels odd, but I had 70 points to spare. A celestial hurricznum is included since I would like some "fast and mounted" magic. But maybe this is not enough. A sorceress (on foot) would also be nice, for her spell, but not for the synergie. 

Any advice? 

I haven't played with the battalion before, but I think you want to have at least 2 units of 10 pistoliers so that you have a better chance of wiping/killing or doing significant damage to your charge targets, and trim the 200 or 300 points from elsewhere in the list.

Maybe drop the demigryphs and gyro, and fit in 10 more pistoliers and a command point / endless spell and see how it goes.

Allright, I don't have the models at this time but maybe I'll convert my good old bretonian knight to something pistoliers like. 

What about magic, which endless spell would you take? I find the Tempest Eye's Aura of Glory spell to be strong but rather hard to make it work, especially with the pistoliers because they are faster then the hurricanum. 

35 minutes ago, Geoffreyvt said:

Allright, I don't have the models at this time but maybe I'll convert my good old bretonian knight to something pistoliers like. 

What about magic, which endless spell would you take? I find the Tempest Eye's Aura of Glory spell to be strong but rather hard to make it work, especially with the pistoliers because they are faster then the hurricanum. 

You cast the spell before you move. So it usually isn’t a big deal. Especially as it’s +1 to hit bubble is pretty small anyway, so you should be in range but accept it’s only one part of the battlefield it’s affecting. 

otherwise maybe a battle mate on gryphon, the sorceress on black dragon is great as well. 

4 hours ago, Geoffreyvt said:

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

therwise maybe a battle mate on gryphon, the sorceress on black dragon is great as well. 

Just to chime in, if you're choosing between those two, Sorceress on dragon is, in basically every circumstance, better than mage on griffon.

And to add another good caster for aura of glory, lord arcanum on gryph-charger is fast, durable and reasonably priced. And the model is very cheap on the aftermarket thanks to Soul Wars.

And I agree that you should probably drop the battalion until you can make it bigger. 120 points is a lot and you have quite a few unit drops anyway, so you'd probably be better off buying more troops for this. Aetherguard Windrunners is a great way of fitting almost the entire army into it, and is best used like that (with just 1-3 extra units on top of it, to give you a greater probability of choosing who goes first.). As a small support segment of the army it's probably not worth the price.

1 hour ago, dekay said:

And to add another good caster for aura of glory, lord arcanum on gryph-charger is fast, durable and reasonably priced. And the model is very cheap on the aftermarket thanks to Soul Wars.

Good call! Even though I painted him last month I forgot about it 😂

what about the tauralon lord arcanum? Just a shame the ability is only for stormcast. Probably not worth it without investing in raptors or judicators which in turn makes it kinda useless in the original list we were talking about. 

20 hours ago, Kramer said:

Good call! Even though I painted him last month I forgot about it 😂

what about the tauralon lord arcanum? Just a shame the ability is only for stormcast. Probably not worth it without investing in raptors or judicators which in turn makes it kinda useless in the original list we were talking about. 

Good call on the lord Arcanum! I have him lying around as well. Never incorporated stormcast before since I have the feeling they don't synergize all too well. And are a heavy investment, point wise. How do you feel about them? 

So, I did buff the battalion to have 25 pistoliers. I like to have 1 unit of 5 for the flexibility and movability they offer. On the battlefield I play, having 2 units of 10 in close proximity to the general and have them actually do something will be a challenge. 

Thanks for the valuable input already! The cavalry list has changed to:

Cavalry Tempest Eye

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Cities of Sigmar) [1,870pts] ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-charger [200pts]

+ Behemoth +

War Hydra [170pts]

+ Other +

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Aetherguard Windrunners [940pts]
. Freeguild Pistoliers: 2x 5 Freeguild Pistoliers, Brace of Pistols, Trumpeters
. Freeguild Pistoliers: 2x 5 Freeguild Pistoliers, Brace of Pistols, Trumpeters

++ Total: [1,870pts] ++

Now, this gives me 130 points to spare, I could buff the drakespawn unit to 15. Or add a unit of pistoliers, although I don't have the models anymore to actually do this. 

Another option can be a lonesome chariot (drakespawn maybe to synergize with the dragon). 

Edited by Geoffreyvt
Points mistake

7 minutes ago, Geoffreyvt said:

Good call on the lord Arcanum! I have him lying around as well. Never incorporated stormcast before since I have the feeling they don't synergize all too well. And are a heavy investment, point wise. How do you feel about them? 

He’s a toughie to judge. All in all I think I’m neutral. 
Without other stormcast he loses a bit of value though. The recycle the first killing wound helps a bit but is only stormcast. 
same for the spell and command ability. 

on the other hand. Quite survivable and for a wizard very good in combat. 
If you bring him for the auto of glory, when not in range he has his d3/d6 mortal wound arcane bolt. So that’s better than the alternatives. 
combine his wind eatheric (not same turn of course but it gets you behind a screen), combat strength and spirit flask you have a hero you can throw away to kill a hero when he served his purpose. 
so in his use I’m kinda neutral. It’s not a bad unit in itself, not amazing either. 

200 points is spot on I think from a balance perspectives feels neither too cheap nor too expensive. So again neutral  

the dracoline version has even more punch But a bit slower. So that’s worth looking at. 

in the end it’s looking for what you want besides speed and the spell. Black dragon sorceress is very good as well. But more expensive of course. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:40 AM, swarmofseals said:

Tried another game against Zaitrec Teclis.

Lists:

Hide contents

3 runelords (1 general, hawk eyed, patrician's helm; 1 adjutant)

1 warden king

hurricanum with battlemage (aura of glory)

3x30 ironbreakers

30 darkshards

20 darkshards (retinue)

3 aetherwings

Teclis

Light of Eltharion

3x10 sentinels

2x10 wardens

2x5 dawnriders

spellportal, geminids, aethervoid pendulum

This time we played Knife's Edge, which seemed like a much more favorable battleplan for me than the last game. His rolls were also much better though, and he won another relatively close game. I definitely liked the mobility of the Darkshards over the Irondrakes. Overall the matchup is still extremely miserable though given their ability to easily kill most or all of your heroes by the end of their second turn. Not sure there is any way around that though as there's no reliable way to kill Teclis early that I can think of.

And what if you drop both one pack of 30 ironbreakers and aetherwing to add a Prime ? He smash hard, he is a leader and he can be drop anywhere on the table...