AoS 2 Cities of Sigmar Discussion: Hallowheart

TheNotebookGM

Me and a friend have gotten into AOS recently and I'm running a hallowheart list, we're both building to 1000 points at the moment to get started and my current list consists of the following:

List Name: Hallowheart

LEADERS:

• Knight incantor (120[General]
    • Command Trait: Warden of the flame
    • Artefact: Whitefire tome
  • Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage (270)
    • Lore of Whitefire: Crystal Aegis
    • Lore of Whitefire: Ignite Weapons
  • Battlemage (110) [General's Adjutant]
    • Realm: Aqshy
    • Lore of Whitefire: Roaming widlfire
    • Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds

UNITS:

• 10 x Ironbreakers
  • 10 x Ironbreakers
  • 10 x Sisters of the watch (Honoured Retinue)

ENDLESS SPELLS:

• Everblaze Comet

Total: 980/1000

I'm an utter noob but I realise there's a lot I could change about my list, including swapping a unit of ironbreakers  with my sisters of the watch as the honoured retinue, I could also swap out the comet for the likes of the emerald life swarm and make my screen a pain to deal with and have enough points for an additional command point

Would be interested to hear any opinion however I'm literally starting out and will probably do a lot of experimentation

• 2 weeks later...

I just play with this list vs a null miriad bonerepeaper list,with arkhan,bonesinger,hero on horse,40 mortek guard,5 cavalry,6 elites dps and one crocodile behemot.

At first i had feared due to my army be full magic and he being null miriad that cancel my magic with a 2( with his comand ability)

My list was:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Hallowheart
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Battlemage (110)
- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - All Spells
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Lore of Whitefire: Ignite Weapons
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Sear Wounds
Runelord (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Warden King (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Veteran of the Blazing Crusade
- Artefact: Agloraxi Prism
Knight-Incantor (120)
- Lore of Whitefire: Elemental Cyclone
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Warding Brand

Battleline
20 x Darkshards (200)
10 x Hammerers (140)
30 x Ironbreakers (270)
20 x Irondrakes (300)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

Units
1 x Gyrocopters (70)
1 x Gyrobombers (80)

Battalions
Whitefire Retinue (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

I had luck and the battleplan was the knife at the heart i think was the name(only one objetive in each map) so i could TURTLE all my army inside the ironbreaker and get every buff and aura in all my units.

Turn 1:

I had a bad start doing to my hurricanum 6 mortals with the hallowheart command ability and then only healing myself 1 damage with the d6 heal.

But with  a +6 cast and others +2 due to hurricanum and battalion i could cast every buff that i wanted and enemy couldnt do nothing.

I only moved 4" ahead and we was out of range of ofensive magic and shooting. 

He only advanced and had bad luck with his magic doing zero.

Turn2:

Bonereaper won doubleturn and charged me with ALL,my 30 ironbreackers was in combat with all the enemy army,only mages and the behemot were out of combat.

But to my surprise i "only" lost 24 ironbreakers in all this turn,they had the -1 hit of protection of pha, mystic shield, +1 wound,do mortals with 4+ when they die,+1 hurricanum,+1 attack(vs the mortek guard). And moreover to my surprise they almost deleted the 40 mortek guard betwen the raw damage and the mortals when they die.

After that i deleted every unit with shooting and magic, only mages and behemot were alive at the start of turn3

Turn3: 

Bonereaper won initiative but didnt do much and i deleted all his army with shooting but arkhan,then the copters ran to his objetive and i won the game.

Overall pretty sure that i won for the battleplan and i would have lost with other battleplan that i had to loose buffs and auras due tomultiples objetives to capture.

Also im pretty proud of how the ironbreaker could tank all the bonereaper army and dont die and do that damage.

As allways the irondrakes with the +1 attack if not moved,+1 hit of hurricanum,+1 wound of spells, rerroling 1 to wound for longbeards and +1 rend of runelord were very destructives and delete every target.

I hope you like the game,i havent pics but was pretty fun

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 1:00 PM, MrSplat said:

Would be interested to hear any opinion however I'm literally starting out and will probably do a lot of experimentation

I'm really cautious when it comes to the number of casters that can cast a specific endless spell.  I won't take a spell that can only be cast by one hero in my army.  If you give away first turn (which you often want to do), then you're at risk of your opponent punking-out your 5 wound hero on the first turn.  This is a loss of 220 points (22% of your army).  There is also the chance of getting first turn, failing the cast, then the hero getting killed.  This is far less likely due to the hallowheart casting bonuses, but it can still happen.   All of this to say, I really want to avoid the dead points of an endless spell I can't cast.

I would replace the Everblaze Comet with another endless spell (or unit) until you can fit two Stormcast wizards into your army.  But that's me, go ahead and YOLO if that's your style.  Experiment and report back!

• Like 1

I'm increasingly convinced that the real benefit of Hallowheart is not in its unique command ability.

Casting is a random effect in itself and the command ability is also random in the scope of its buff. While there is a bit of a "feast or famine" dynamic to building around the command ability, the significant issue for me is that using the feature costs two resources: wounds and command points. Both are finite and I think better spent on options that are far less random in their results.

That which makes Hallowheart really interesting and somewhat unique is instead its resiliency. My army has mostly 4+ or better saves, ignores harmful spells on 5+, and is often immune to battleshock. Few factions get access to all those benefits, which are readily available to multiple Hallowheart builds. Veteran of the Blazing Crusade is a great command trait and surprisingly underappreciated, as an 18" battleshock immunity aura is significant. Plus, Hallowheart has access to a heal spell to hopefully help keep that aura going into the late game.

With a general on one side of the board and a unit of Hammerers with Dispossessed hero on the other, Hallowheart armies can often fight to the last. Further, in a current meta environment with strong magic from Lumineth Realm-Lords, Seraphon, and multiple Chaos factions, the 5+ to ignore harmful spells can be clutch.

Lastly, even while not focusing on the command ability, I still get to benefit from Hallowheart spells and additional casting opportunities by fielding Sisters of the Thorn. Their increased movement, let alone additional wounds, help me take objectives while keeping up with the advance of my fighting force.

Hope this helps and looking forward to the conversation!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fazhak said:

I'm increasingly convinced that the real benefit of Hallowheart is not in its unique command ability.

Casting is a random effect in itself and the command ability is also random in the scope of its buff. While there is a bit of a "feast or famine" dynamic to building around the command ability, the significant issue for me is that using the feature costs two resources: wounds and command points. Both are finite and I think better spent on options that are far less random in their results.

That which makes Hallowheart really interesting and somewhat unique is instead its resiliency. My army has mostly 4+ or better saves, ignores harmful spells on 5+, and is often immune to battleshock. Few factions get access to all those benefits, which are readily available to multiple Hallowheart builds. Veteran of the Blazing Crusade is a great command trait and surprisingly underappreciated, as an 18" battleshock immunity aura is significant. Plus, Hallowheart has access to a heal spell to hopefully help keep that aura going into the late game.

With a general on one side of the board and a unit of Hammerers with Dispossessed hero on the other, Hallowheart armies can often fight to the last. Further, in a current meta environment with strong magic from Lumineth Realm-Lords, Seraphon, and multiple Chaos factions, the 5+ to ignore harmful spells can be clutch.

Lastly, even while not focusing on the command ability, I still get to benefit from Hallowheart spells and additional casting opportunities by fielding Sisters of the Thorn. Their increased movement, let alone additional wounds, help me take objectives while keeping up with the advance of my fighting force.

Hope this helps and looking forward to the conversation!

love this logic. Building on from this. got me thinking about dispossessed units more. what about the following ...

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Hallowheart

Leaders
Runelord (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Elemental Cyclone
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Lore of Whitefire: Ignite Weapons
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Warding Brand
Battlemage (110)
- Lore of Whitefire: Roaming Wildfire
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Crystal Aegis
Warden King (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Warden of the Flame
- Artefact: Agloraxi Prism

Battleline
30 x Longbeards (240)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
30 x Hammerers (360)
20 x Irondrakes (300)
10 x Dreadspears (90)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
- Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds
- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

• 1 month later...

So after playing some games with Hallowheart all at A thousand points. It seems that a Celestial Hurricanum is absolutely needed for it's buffs. Against my wives Lumineth, and More importantly Nighthaunt, I cant seem to win. Any of you that are way better than me, can maybe help me with my current list and see if I am missing anything. 

+ Leader +

Battlemage   Elemental Cyclone,  Ignite Weapons, Aqshy, General's Adjutant

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage 
 Celestial Battlemage: Roaming Wildfire,  Pauldrons of Living Flame,  Sear Wounds

Runelord Crusade, General

+ Battleline +

Freeguild Handgunners  10 Freeguild Handgunner, Long Rifle (Marksman), Pipers, Standard Bearer

Ironbreakers  10 Ironbreakers, Drakefire Pistol and Cinderblast Bomb, Drummers, Standard Bearers

Irondrakes  10 Irondrakes, Grudgehammer Torpedo, Hornblowers, Standard Bearer

+ Other +

Phoenix Guard [160pts]: 10 Phoenix Guard, Honoured Retinue

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 1000 Points - Vanguard

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++

My main problem with any list currently at this point level is speed. Everything is very slow. I know there is the bridge, and Lauchon but it's hard to bring in at 1000 points and I feel more bodies are important. I also went Ironbreakers over Longbeards for now so losing out on the +1 to wound grumble. 

Phoenix guard are an absolute must as well for their ability to not die.  So there you have it. Any help is appreciated.

On 5/10/2021 at 7:57 AM, ProbablyBalthus19 said:

So after playing some games with Hallowheart all at a thousand points. It seems that a Celestial Hurricanum is absolutely needed for it's buffs.

I know there is the bridge, and Lauchon but it's hard to bring in at 1000 points and I feel more bodies are important. 

Phoenix guard are an absolute must as well for their ability to not die.  So there you have it. Any help is appreciated.

I think the 1st 2 observations are astute, but I feel that at 1k you are trying to do too many different things. 

IMO you can go deep into dwarves, replace the phoenix guard + handgunners + battlemage with 1 more irondrakes + 1 longbeards + something else with 110 pts, then go Tempest's Eye for the overall mobility instead;

or stay Hallowheart, drop all the dwarves, have 1 phoenix guard and 3 units of handgunners, and still have 150 pts to add mobility (maybe 2 gyros? or pistoliers + aetherwings)

A third option would be to add sorceress and darkshards, drop the handgunners and battlemage for a little more mobility.  

Just now, Evantas said:

I think the 1st 2 observations are astute, but I feel that at 1k you are trying to do too many different things. 

IMO you can go deep into dwarves, replace the phoenix guard + handgunners + battlemage with 1 more irondrakes + 1 longbeards + something else with 110 pts, then go Tempest's Eye for the overall mobility instead;

or stay Hallowheart, drop all the dwarves, have 1 phoenix guard and 3 units of handgunners, and still have 150 pts to add mobility (maybe 2 gyros? or pistoliers + aetherwings)

35 minutes ago, ProbablyBalthus19 said:

Thank you for the replies. I can certainly drop the battlemage if needed. Just figured as Hallowheart their spells are pretty important. I also don't have a sorceress or darkshards sadly. I could definitely add a gyrocoptor as I have one, or 10 more irondrakes.

I like to go with pistoliers in hallowheart, at least 10. The buffs (ignite weapons and hurricanum) does wonders on them and turns them into monsters with their potentially 8 attacks. Together with the hurricanum, they are a nice mobile tag team. The same goes for gyros i guess, but i prefer the pistoliers, as they have also good wounds for their price.

You probably could also go with tempest eye, but i think hallowheart is still good value. The magic protection is nice and an extra spell on the hurricanum and potentially one cast on an non-wizard character is pretty good, even if you dont bring additional battlemages.

Sadly I don't have pistoliers. Wish I did, though! I have Longbeards, greatswords, and Ironbreakers. Hallowheart is what got me in to Cities so trying to stick with that before trying other Cities. I like the magic.  Think I am going to try and throw the Gyrocoptor that I have lying around in to go out and  grab a quick objective while my slow force moves up the board.

• 1 month later...

With the new edition dropping I’ve been considering pivoting from Anvilgard to Hallowheart.  I play against magic-orientated LRL regularly.  So, I want plenty of casting, but also durability, and battleshock protection.

As noted above

On 4/1/2021 at 2:31 AM, Fazhak said:

I'm increasingly convinced that the real benefit of Hallowheart is not in its unique command ability ... That which makes Hallowheart really interesting and somewhat unique is instead its resiliency

Starting out with two durable wizards, a Knight Incantor and Anointed with the new generic enhancement Arcane Tome, came up with this first attempt.   The Stormcast general restricts battleline options, but I tried to make things work.

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar - City: Hallowheart

Leaders

• Knight-Incantor (130)

- General

- Command Trait: Veteran of the Blazing Crusade 

- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - All Spells 

• Anointed (110)

- City Role: General's Adjutant 

- Artefact: Arcane Tome 

• Anointed (110) 
  • Knight-Azyros (100)
  • Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
  • Yndrastra(300)

Battleline

• 10 x Handgunner (105)
  • 10 x Darkshards (115)
  • 10 x Darkshards (115)

Units

• 10 x Phoenix Guard (175) (General’s Retinue)
  • 10 x Phoenix Guard (175)
  • 10 x Phoenix Guard (175)

Endless Spells

• Chronomatic  Cogs (45)
  • Shackles (65)

Core Battalions

• Warlord (+1 enhancement, one time +1 cmd pt)
  • Battle Regiment (1 drop)
  • Total 5 drops

Total Points 2000

The Plan Is based on 3 mini castles.  

Magic Castle

Knight Incantor and Anointed (Wizard) surrounded by two horseshoes of

Phoenix Guard.  One unit of Phoenix Guard is Generals Retinue. Anointed (Wizard) is Adjutant.  Cast Cogs in the center for additional spell.  Cast Shackles in front to discourage charge.  Run and cast until seize objective.  If all goes to plan they will have 6 casts per turn, 3 dispels, and the Incantor’s auto dispel scroll.

Battleline Block:

Yndrasta provides battleshock protection, and hopefully discourages stomping monsters.  Handgunners and Darkshards protect charges and Unleash Hell.  Knight-Azyros and Hurricanum buff to Hit.  Mage on Hurricanum heals and uses mystic shield or shackles.

Backfield Castle

Anointed (Regular) with 1 horseshoe of Phoenix Guard.  

I feel this list is a little hero heavy and may depend too much on the three wizards.  But, I’m finding changes to the new edition a lot process at the moment.  So, any feedback would be appreciated in terms of army composition or new rules that I may be overlooking.  

TIA

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, Kirby said:

With the new edition dropping I’ve been considering pivoting from Anvilgard to Hallowheart.  I play against magic-orientated LRL regularly.  So, I want plenty of casting, but also durability, and battleshock protection.

As noted above

Starting out with two durable wizards, a Knight Incantor and Anointed with the new generic enhancement Arcane Tome, came up with this first attempt.   The Stormcast general restricts battleline options, but I tried to make things work.

The Plan Is based on 3 mini castles.  

Magic Castle

Knight Incantor and Anointed (Wizard) surrounded by two horseshoes of

Phoenix Guard.  One unit of Phoenix Guard is Generals Retinue. Anointed (Wizard) is Adjutant.  Cast Cogs in the center for additional spell.  Cast Shackles in front to discourage charge.  Run and cast until seize objective.  If all goes to plan they will have 6 casts per turn, 3 dispels, and the Incantor’s auto dispel scroll.

Battleline Block:

Yndrasta provides battleshock protection, and hopefully discourages stomping monsters.  Handgunners and Darkshards protect charges and Unleash Hell.  Knight-Azyros and Hurricanum buff to Hit.  Mage on Hurricanum heals and uses mystic shield or shackles.

Backfield Castle

Anointed (Regular) with 1 horseshoe of Phoenix Guard.  

I feel this list is a little hero heavy and may depend too much on the three wizards.  But, I’m finding changes to the new edition a lot process at the moment.  So, any feedback would be appreciated in terms of army composition or new rules that I may be overlooking.  

TIA

It's sounds like a similar play style to a list I've been working on, but feels a bit static - perhaps swap out a hero or spell for something which can move fast to grab or clear objectives?

The new anti monster battalion in the General's Handbook could also be a good option as you can completely ignore monster abilities! It would mean more drops, but could be worth it.

• Like 1

This is what I'm thinking of fielding -

City: Hallowheart

Triumph: Inspired

Warlord Battalion

1 Runelord (General) - Veteran of the Blazing Crusade, Curse = 100

1 Black Ark Fleetmaster (General's Adjutant) - Arcane Tome, Crystal Aegis, Roaming Wildfire = 70

1 Celestial Hurricanum with Battlemage - Agloraxi Prism, Sear Wounds, Ignite Weapons = 280

1 Scourgerunner Chariot = 80

No battalion

20 Shadow Warriors = 240

10 Wild Riders = 240

10 Black Ark Corsairs - handbows = 851

10 Irondrakes (Battleline) - grudgehammer torpedo = 160

Hunters of the Heartlands Battalion

10 Eternal Guard (Battleline, Honoured Retinue) = 125

10 Eternal Guard (Battleline) = 125

10 Eternal Guard (Battleline) = 125

Endless Spells

Chronomantic Cogs = 45

Total = 1995 points

137 wounds

That's essentially a blanket denial of the new monster abilities on my shield wall of elves.

The Irondrakes and heroes will castle behind the Eternal Guard, with the Corsairs and Scourgerunner acting as chaff for as long as possible. Wild Riders and Shadow Warriors will be taking objectives and countering flanking moves.

I still have 2 reinforcement points left, so have the option of forming the Irondrakes up into a single unit. I don't want to do this as I quite like the idea of 3 torpedoes in the new edition - potentially 6D6 -2 rend wounds against monsters, before the rest of the units even fire.

The Corsairs are usually seen as one of the weakest units in the CoS book. This is true, but I had 85 points left and I needed a chaff unit that had warm bodies to get in the way. Originally I had taken another Scourgerunner for this role, but it has fewer wounds, lower bravery and a weaker save. I could have taken Freeguild Guard with shields, but they have lower bravery and movement. I did consider Dreadspears but that meant taking the army to 2000 points, and I think the possibility of gaining a Triumph, or deny an opponent theirs, may be more useful. There's the Gyrocopter, but the gun is short ranged and I know with complete certainty that I'd end up wasting the unit in a suicidal attack that wouldn't accomplish anything. I need this unit to be focused primarily as a blocker, not flying off on some mad plan I have concocted on the fly.  There's also the point that none of the other units really synergise with anything else in the list. At least with the Corsairs I can use the Fleetmaster to buff them if I have to. This will rarely come up, but the 20 handbow shots followed by 20 blade attacks may just swing something in my favour (I went with handbows because those are the models I have - I know they are the weaker option).

Edited by SentinelGuy
New info came to light - see comments below
  • Like 1

Have people thought of making the runelord a wizard with the generic tome? Would seem good to augment his already +2 to dispel, giving him up to 3 dispels, I think. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong or misunderstanding.

I think ironbreakers may be better than pheonix guard now if all you want is tanking. Easy casting mystic shield to put them on a 2+ save, and easy command use for all out defense to ignore the first rend is pretty strong. A 2+ is comparable to a 3+/4++ (pheonix guard with all out defense or mystic shield) but they also benefit from being much cheaper. Slightly less offensive at base, but if you were bringing support heroes, especially the +1 attack form the king they start to be killier too. Many lists already have a runelord for irondrakes, and the -1 rend is situationally great on them as well. 

18 minutes ago, Frowny said:

Have people thought of making the runelord a wizard with the generic tome? Would seem good to augment his already +2 to dispel, giving him up to 3 dispels, I think. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong or misunderstanding.

I think ironbreakers may be better than pheonix guard now if all you want is tanking. Easy casting mystic shield to put them on a 2+ save, and easy command use for all out defense to ignore the first rend is pretty strong. A 2+ is comparable to a 3+/4++ (pheonix guard with all out defense or mystic shield) but they also benefit from being much cheaper. Slightly less offensive at base, but if you were bringing support heroes, especially the +1 attack form the king they start to be killier too. Many lists already have a runelord for irondrakes, and the -1 rend is situationally great on them as well. 

I thought about the tome on the Runelord but had concerns about mistcasting mixed with enemy priests trying to snipe him with their prayer. Maybe it's too many eggs in one basket?

8 minutes ago, Doko said:

How dispell 3 spells?he dispell one and one extra with the being a wizard?

Where get the 3 th extra dispell?halowhearth can do him cast two spells but it dont give extra dispells

Yes, he'll have a single dispel still at +2 for being a Runelord. 

28 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

@SentinelGuy It is odd as the Core ones have no such restriction. I like the list maybe this will open up something exciting in the rework.

It's funny, I was just looking through the cheap heroes we have access to and noticed the Cogsmith is as cheap as the Fleetmaster. Now that's got me thinking about swapping him in for the Fleetmaster. He'd be more vulnerable with his weaker save, but he's packing multiple ranged weapons, so he won't just be stood there doing nothing but spellcasting, like the elf would be. It's not like I really planned to use his CA on the privateer units I am taking. Taking a fully armed Cogsmith isn't even that bad these days as he'll still get the +1 to hit from the Hurricanum. Hmm.

I'm also torn on the 1 drop - my build is basically MSU, so it's not often I'm going to be getting the benefit. If I drop my Eternals to Dreadspears then they're losing so much, just so I can take an average hero that the list doesn't feel like it needs. I'd also still like to keep the Eternals/Dreadspears as my beast hunter shield wall, but the Wild Riders might be cool with it. Then again, a 5+save means they'll die anyway if they can't kill it on the charge.

So now I'm leaning towards the single drop being a bit of a trap. Perhaps the best option is to keep the list the same and just make the 3 Eternal Guard units the hunter detachment? I am still considering the Cogsmith swap though. What do you think, is his shooting more beneficial than the Fleetmaster's save? Does it just make him more of a target?

@SentinelGuy I don't think it will increase his threat level as it's really high on both (frail caster)

I'd give it a go as it will depend on what you're up against (around here mortals are king so the save wouldn't really come up often)

I think you might be right about the one drop. 

Edited by Eldarain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure something out about Hallowheart's spell enhancements in 3.0. So far, in all of the lists I've seen, people are taking the second, extra spell lore for each of the wizards, like in 2.0. But in the FAQs, this is mentioned:

Pages 65, 67, 69, 71, 73, 75, 77 – Spell Lores. Delete the sentence under the header.

That sentence under the header is the one telling us we can take the second spell:

You can choose or roll for 2 of the following spells for each WIZARD in a Hallowheart army.

So to get that second spell for each wizard, we now need to use up an enhancement slot from one of the battalions, right? The new Warscroll Builder update seems to think we are still getting that second spell for free...

Edited by leitbur711
  • Sad 1