AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

12 minutes ago, Raffonerd said:

This point is not so clear about this. Because phoenix says: artifactes affects only anoited attacks. So, this excludes affecting the mount with everything: strike first too.

It is absolutely clear - it is spelled out in the rule of the relic.

image.png.51657558c60ee67f5c2258c52c41a987.png

As you can see it says (and their mount)  - there is no room for this to be interpreted any other way. 

Edited by SwampHeart

9 hours ago, Mikkl said:

Yeah that is a very cool combo, but  unfortunately the Jade Diadem was FAQ'ed to work activate on  unmodified rolls of 6.

Skærmbillede 2019-10-22 kl. 09.10.13.png

Ahh, right.  Ok, back to the drawing board.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I may go back to my original plan to have Dreadlord with crossbow, Spear of the hunt and Ironoak, and 2 Concussors.  You need 2 hard-hitting units to make the most of the spear, but I was hesitant of the points cost of 700 for a Templar and Concussors.  Also, I already have the Black Dragon, but no Stormcast yet so cost is a factor.

• Like 1

Sisters of the thorn are playable just for being highly mobile casters. Consider their attacks entirely optional and you're just paying 40 extra points for double movement over a battlemage (which can be important for positioning endless spells and such or parking at 30" of an enemy wizard to  get an unbind attempt). Other than that their own spell is pretty good for throwing on a block of Eternap Guard (2+ save if they stand still and reflect mortals on a 6). 

Their weapons are a formality and they're too squishy to use offensively in my mind.

17 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

are sisters of thorn playable? bought a box blind today ... 

Very much, in many cities. Their signature spell works only with Wanderers units, but they are a mobile mage unit that is only slightly more expensive than a battlemage. I'm a big fan of them now that they are priced reasonably!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to post a list for public assessment and it was completely disconnected from my assessment of SotT lol.

I worry this list is too heavy into Alarielle but it's really a test list on how I might go about using her now that the FAQ is out and we can still "strike and fade away (from the place that isnt our enemies)" 

Nomad prince (General, ironoak artisan, spear of the hunt)

Knight Azyros (adjutant)

Sorceress (cage of thorns)

Sorceress (cage of thorns)

Alarielle (ironoak skin)

Eternal guard×20 (retinue)

SotT×5 (lifesurge)

SotW×20

Dreadspears×10

Emerald lifeswarm

Soulsnare shackles

Extra command point

So the idea here is to deep strike the prince, sisters, and knight Azros for some targeted alpha. Eternal guard dropped in as well to form a wall.

Sorceresses and spears in the back, moving forward as needed and using their spells as support or otherwise just casting and dispelling my own endless spells.

SotT are second line following Alarielle to heal her or buff the spears.

Alarielle and her summons (most likely kurnoth hunters but I've got options) just move up as an absolute wrecking ball with the potential to heal 2d6+1d3+1 every hero phase she'll need to die all in one go or not at all. Combined with ironoak skin for -1 to wound she should be able to pretty recklessly be applied as a wrecking ball to the enemies face while also being a caster herself. 

I could swap a sorceress for battlemage of hysh but I worry that adding phas protection on top of everything else could be too much and convince my enemy to just kill everything around her. I suppose I could bring the hush mage to buff the spears and just give my opponent hard choices between a walled off shooting base or an absolute monster barreling down on him.

It feels a bit light on bodies but I suppose I could use Alarielle's summons on dryads if i need bodies or revenants if i need mobility. Rather than always a treelord or (more likely if I don't need the stomp) a treelord.

Thoughts?

Edited by The Red King
  • LOVE IT! 1

24 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Very much, in many cities. Their signature spell works only with Wanderers units, but they are a mobile mage unit that is only slightly more expensive than a battlemage. I'm a big fan of them now that they are priced reasonably!

Cool. So I made a good deal for 18€ i guess.

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Can always build them as wild riders if you don't fancy the Sisters of Thorn. Wild riders are pretty good cavalry unit now.

Wild Riders seem real good, so long as you roll 4+ to wound well. Bouncing off things sucks hard, but they are absurd on the charge.

Honestly, I think Wild Riders are best in Hallowheart as they get access to an easily cast +1 wound spell that you can give to SotT who can keep up with Wild Riders. And since Hallowheart is in Aqshy you could also get the +1 wound and charge spell too depending on how your local group plays (mine generally says you can take a realm spell from the realm your army is from in place of a battletome spell).

23 hours ago, The Red King said:

Alarielle and her summons (most likely kurnoth hunters but I've got options) just move up as an absolute wrecking ball with the potential to heal 2d6+1d3+1 every hero phase she'll need to die all in one go or not at all. Combined with ironoak skin for -1 to wound she should be able to pretty recklessly be applied as a wrecking ball to the enemies face while also being a caster herself. 

Thoughts?

I like your list. I too am considering using Alarielle in a living city list. She combos well with the free heal and deepstrike. She also allows you to essentially sneak a unit of Kurnoth Hunters by the 1/4 limit. You could quite easily have over 50% of your army (points-wise) as Sylvaneth.

However I wouldn't overestimate her combat punch. She is extremely swingy. The talon is only useful when you roll natural 6's and the beetle hits on 4's. I have played Alarielle in several tournaments and there are MANY instances where she completely whiffs. 

The key with her is to only charge units with more than 5 models  so the beetle gets a +1 to hit. Also keep in mind that she does impact hits prior to combat. Many times i have charged a unit of 5 cavalry just to have one of them killed by impact hits lol.

3 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

I like your list. I too am considering using Alarielle in a living city list. She combos well with the free heal and deepstrike. She also allows you to essentially sneak a unit of Kurnoth Hunters by the 1/4 limit. You could quite easily have over 50% of your army (points-wise) as Sylvaneth.

However I wouldn't overestimate her combat punch. She is extremely swingy. The talon is only useful when you roll natural 6's and the beetle hits on 4's. I have played Alarielle in several tournaments and there are MANY instances where she completely whiffs. 

The key with her is to only charge units with more than 5 models  so the beetle gets a +1 to hit. Also keep in mind that she does impact hits prior to combat. Many times i have charged a unit of 5 cavalry just to have one of them killed by impact hits lol.

These are important considerations yes. The 4+ to hit does seem rough but I suppose the Azyros could help with that at least yeah? Plus she's not a bad way to spit out mortal wounds.

The charging a 5 model unit only to kill one prior to combat is definitely the kind of thing I wanted to hear. Something I'd never consider until I really messed up lol. Thank you for the input.

17 hours ago, Forrix said:

Honestly, I think Wild Riders are best in Hallowheart as they get access to an easily cast +1 wound spell that you can give to SotT who can keep up with Wild Riders. And since Hallowheart is in Aqshy you could also get the +1 wound and charge spell too depending on how your local group plays (mine generally says you can take a realm spell from the realm your army is from in place of a battletome spell).

Also phoenicium. If they die the fight again.

Hey Everyone!

With the models at my disposal, I can make the following list: 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Living City
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (320)
- General
- Trait: Ironoak Artisan
- Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
Battlemage (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Cage of Thorns (Living City Wizard)
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
Sorceress (90)
- Spell: Lore of Leaves - Lifesurge (Living City Wizard)
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
- Lore of Leaves: Ironoak Skin
10 x Phoenix Guard (160)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
30 x Sisters of the Watch (480)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

The plan is to have the Phoenix and Alarielle tag team the main enemy force, the battleline units to chase objectives and cover the wizards on foot and the SotW to deep strike and be a thorn in the enemy's side. Alarielle's summons can of course be used for either offense or objective holding.

Any thoughts?
:) 

4 hours ago, Sethiris said:

Hey Everyone!

With the models at my disposal, I can make the following list: 

Hide contents

Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (320)
- General
Battlemage (90)
Sorceress (90)
Alarielle the Everqueen (660)
10 x Phoenix Guard (160)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)

Wounds: 98

The plan is to have the Phoenix and Alarielle tag team the main enemy force, the battleline units to chase objectives and cover the wizards on foot and the SotW to deep strike and be a thorn in the enemy's side. Alarielle's summons can of course be used for either offense or objective holding.

Any thoughts?
:) 

Wow 30 sisters. That is going to be an extremely scary shooting phase. What is that, 60 attacks if you don't move? Thats 10 mortals before you even roll to wound! I like it! If you have that many points in sisters then you should also consider a Nomad Prince for the +1 to hit ability.  Even if he is only in range of the sisters once or twice, he will pay for himself. 

I do worry that you don't have enough combat punch though. Frosty can't be everywhere and as we discussed before, Alarielle isn't that reliable in combat.

What will you be summoning with Alarielle? Kurnoth Hunters?

• LOVE IT! 1

17 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Wow 30 sisters. That is going to be an extremely scary shooting phase. What is that, 60 attacks if you don't move? Thats 10 mortals before you even roll to wound! I like it! If you have that many points in sisters then you should also consider a Nomad Prince for the +1 to hit ability.  Even if he is only in range of the sisters once or twice, he will pay for himself. 

I do worry that you don't have enough combat punch though. Frosty can't be everywhere and as we discussed before, Alarielle isn't that reliable in combat.

What will you be summoning with Alarielle? Kurnoth Hunters?

I have more. I had a pure Wanderers list I ran last tournament xD 

Yeah, either Kurnoths with Swords or Bows (if they really have to camp a far-off objective or so), a Treelord or 20 Dryads.

Another option would be to go for Drycha or a Spirit Durthu (or both :D ) or a Dreadlord on Black Dragon.

Another option is to add a Hurricanum with Battlemage instead of the sorceress and drop it with the sisters to serve as a forward caster to keep the Phoenix buffed.

Or more sisters! 😁

I could make a list with 2x30, a monster or two, 3x10 darkshards and some support. (nomad prince or battlemage, or if one less monster, both)

Like this for instance?

Spoiler

Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix (300)
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Bleakswords (90)
10 x Bleakswords (90)

Wounds: 105

2 hours ago, Sethiris said:

Like this for instance?

Hide contents

Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
Spirit of Durthu (340)
- General
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Bleakswords (90)
10 x Bleakswords (90)

Wounds: 105

Yea if you bring Alarielle, I think you can easily trim a wizard. She brings 3 casts to the table. If you really want to have all of the Living City spells then consider Sisters of the Thorn since they can help you fill battle-line tax as well. They are about 30-40 more points than most wizards but you get a LOT of benefits for those points. (speed, shooting, larger wound pool, and their spell can really help SoTW stay alive)

Drycha is great in any list but Durthu really only shines in Sylvaneth lists. He is really reliant on Wyldwoods and Glade buffs to maximize his damage output. Without them he has to rely on 3 attacks plus an impale, and that just isn't cost effective for 340pts. I would much rather have frosty.

The hurricanum is great if you summon Hunters with bows but I think the Nomad Prince is more cost effective since he can fight well and has a very scary shooting attack for heroes.

Not sure if it has been mentioned in a while but also remember Alarielle can't use the Living City deepstrike mechanic. Her base is 6.25 inches 😭

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Wow 30 sisters. That is going to be an extremely scary shooting phase. What is that, 60 attacks if you don't move? Thats 10 mortals before you even roll to wound!

Sisters of the Watch cause Mortal Wounds on an unmodified WOUND roll of 6, not Hit rolls.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, kore5022 said:

Not sure if this has been asked but the 'deepstrike' ability of living city, does it count as moving for the purposes of irondrakes getting 1 or 2 shots?

There is an FAQ regarding Eternal Guard (old rule) and similar abilities (such as SotW, Irondrakes etc.) stating that a "set up" (deep strike) is not a move, so they count  as standing still. :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Yea if you bring Alarielle, I think you can easily trim a wizard. She brings 3 casts to the table. If you really want to have all of the Living City spells then consider Sisters of the Thorn since they can help you fill battle-line tax as well. They are about 30-40 more points than most wizards but you get a LOT of benefits for those points. (speed, shooting, larger wound pool, and their spell can really help SoTW stay alive)

Drycha is great in any list but Durthu really only shines in Sylvaneth lists. He is really reliant on Wyldwoods and Glade buffs to maximize his damage output. Without them he has to rely on 3 attacks plus an impale, and that just isn't cost effective for 340pts. I would much rather have frosty.

The hurricanum is great if you summon Hunters with bows but I think the Nomad Prince is more cost effective since he can fight well and has a very scary shooting attack for heroes.

Not sure if it has been mentioned in a while but also remember Alarielle can't use the Living City deepstrike mechanic. Her base is 6.25 inches 😭

Yeah, I think you have a point. Durthu might not be optimal. I have tried him with a blade of Hammerhal Ghyra or the Kurdroth Warhorn, Ironoak Artisan and Hurricanum for 4 attacks with 2+/2+ which was fun. But then he just stood there for the rest of the game, so I see what you mean. I'm thinking a dragon instead? 

The thing about Sisters of the Thorn being battleline is only if your general is a Nomad Prince, and then you don't get the Ironoak Artisan CT.  So I guess I could go with Phoenix, Drycha, 2x30 Sisters, Nomad Prince and some support. With the Nomad Prince as General I suppose I free up points from the battleline for other units. Is it worth giving up Ironoak Artisan on the Phoenix? 

List example: 

Spoiler

Nomad Prince (120)
- General
Battlemage (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
Drycha Hamadreth (320)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
10 x Eternal Guard (130)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Wounds: 112

14 minutes ago, FRoper said:

In going for a magic casting general, to take advantage of the everliving druid trait, what magic user is best?? 

The only multi-cast wizard we have access to is Alarielle. And she can't take that trait. The only casters that have any bonuses are Sorceresses (+2 with sacrifice) and Battlemages (+1 with realm/Hurricanum or +2 with both)

So we aren't really spoiled for powerful casters. We simply have a lot of basic ones (Hallowheart makes them twice as efficient).