AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

2 hours ago, Sception said:

My only real complaint is the forced praetorians keyword.  If they had to be legion locked that's the best one, but I would have preferred an open subfaction approach like the vamp warband got.

******. I didn't notice that.

Showing my long gap between games here, but does that mean I can't use them in Stalliarch armies at all?

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

******. I didn't notice that.

Showing my long gap between games here, but does that mean I can't use them in Stalliarch armies at all?

You can use them, they just don't gain the stalliarch keyword, and thus don't benefit from the subfaction traits.

I like the lore for the Bonereapers, wondering how to start with them, especially in the age of 3.0. 

I can still get hold of the Horrek's Dreadlance (so that's 10 cavalry and the cavalry hero), and was wondering if that's a good start for an army that isn't horde-esque (so no 40+ morteks etc)?

3 hours ago, Seem said:

I like the lore for the Bonereapers, wondering how to start with them, especially in the age of 3.0. 

I can still get hold of the Horrek's Dreadlance (so that's 10 cavalry and the cavalry hero), and was wondering if that's a good start for an army that isn't horde-esque (so no 40+ morteks etc)?

That is a great start for the army. Liege Cav and 2x5 death riders are solid units that can/will probably see use in just about every OBR list. That being said, a lot is still unknown about how OBR will function in 3.0 as all of the changes actively hurt the army. Unless you are committed despite the viability of the army currently being uncertain, I would wait until the big FAQ drops before buying in personally. 

• Like 1

Still finishing my OBR for the third edition. Today some small magic and the Crawler.

Not much left to go. Just 2 Endless Spells, 10 Mortek, the Nexus and Nagash...but Stalkers are coming in the mail soon.😄

14 hours ago, Obeisance said:

So from what you've seen of the new edition (and yes there's a FAQ pending), what are you planning on running listwise?

Any interesting observations?

I was thinking about three blocks of Mortek each supported by a Harvester. We could at least try to play the monster game...Mortekstyle.😁

Crawler seems to be out of fashion soon, because of no rend. I think it will often come down to the decision Katakros with Praetorians for defensive play or Arkhan with Petrifex for agressive play.

What do you guys think of Stalkers? Still any good?

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-18 at 07.28.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-25 at 11.20.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 10.21.00.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-29 at 20.16.50.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about the Crawler with +1 save on tap and no rend. That said, we don't have any other guns to use instead. It's still just fine to use to murder archers and heroes, I suspect.

After this weekend I'm going to be playing AoS again and I'm looking forward to it.

Might be time to bust out some Deathriders. I've got ten I've never played with.

Even if the crawler doesn't do any damage, drawing out command points before you reach the combat phase is still useful, and players can only all-out-defense one unit a turn, so double crawler lists can still force tough choices.  Also, the new core battalions seem to be leading to players running more 5 wound support heroes, which crawlers are particularly good at bullying.  Overall, I think the crawlers are still good, and are still going to be staple units, even if they're maybe not the automatic 2 in every list that they were before.

That's fair. Problem is, we don't really have any other shooting, nor cheap units to soak/prevent Overwatch.

Which means the catapults are kinda needed to be the paper against the rock.

I'm interested to see if our magic trends more offensive or the reliance on RDP from Katacross decreases. With the restriction of one command/phase, we need less RDP for Shield Wall or Endless Duty.

Looking at the new version of our RDP generation, the line about not using other commands has been removed.. so that's a plus.

I suspect Warscroll Battalion was a typo. So you'd probably get 2 RDP from core battalions..

But yeah, I guess we'll know this weekend. Come on FAQ.

On 6/29/2021 at 2:39 PM, Btimmy said:

That is a great start for the army. Liege Cav and 2x5 death riders are solid units that can/will probably see use in just about every OBR list. That being said, a lot is still unknown about how OBR will function in 3.0 as all of the changes actively hurt the army. Unless you are committed despite the viability of the army currently being uncertain, I would wait until the big FAQ drops before buying in personally. 

I've picked up a cheaper box of the Horrek's, and will start messing with them. They look (from the pictures, waiting for my purchase to come) like nice models, just worried how to paint the inner skulls aside from the rest of the horse.

The irritating thing for me is I like the Petrifex faction lore (I love archaeology, so the idea of this faction hunting down fossils to create new warriors seems awesome, plus if I can get some interesting skulls, some nice conversion ideas), but the faction doesn't seem too good now.

4 hours ago, Seem said:

I've picked up a cheaper box of the Horrek's, and will start messing with them. They look (from the pictures, waiting for my purchase to come) like nice models, just worried how to paint the inner skulls aside from the rest of the horse.

The irritating thing for me is I like the Petrifex faction lore (I love archaeology, so the idea of this faction hunting down fossils to create new warriors seems awesome, plus if I can get some interesting skulls, some nice conversion ideas), but the faction doesn't seem too good now.

They aren't bad.  All 4 things you get are still decent, especially now that their reroll 1s for save isn't the same thing as Mystic Shield.  

Those who run Deathriders, 2*5 or 1*10? I'm painting them up soon.

5 is basically like 8ish Morteks, they aren't going to kill anything of note. They're also too expensive to be throw-away objective grabbers.

10 gets better value out of Lance. 10 will actually be able to remove things.

Thoughts? I haven't used them yet.

3 hours ago, Obeisance said:

Those who run Deathriders, 2*5 or 1*10? I'm painting them up soon.

5 is basically like 8ish Morteks, they aren't going to kill anything of note. They're also too expensive to be throw-away objective grabbers.

10 gets better value out of Lance. 10 will actually be able to remove things.

Thoughts? I haven't used them yet.

New coherency rules makes running a unit of 10, even with lances, a nightmare to even attempt to get them all in combat and maintain coherency. Cav is almost certainly relegated to min units due to that change. 

yeah, it's frustrating.  one of the few big changes in 3e that I really just categorically do not like.  It's a rule that works in 40k due to their 'over the shoulder' attacks, but in AoS with its flat melee ranges, many units ranges being shorter then the length of their bases, and far more units on oval bases which are much more awkward for this system then round bases... yeah, it's a problem, and any unit on oval bases, as well as any melee unit with a reach shorter than the width of their bases, should try to stick to units of 5 or less where possible.  Which is a bit blow to a bunch of units that already weren't especially good, and for OBR especially makes our monstrous infantry look even more lackluster next to mortek guard, which suffer much less from this due to their 25mm round bases.

If you do want to field a cav unit in more than 5 models.  Try deploying and running them in two ranks facing sideways.  It looks dumb, but it's much easier to get more models into combat while maintaining coherency that way, plus it lets them maintain enough frontage to screen for units & characters behind them.

FAQs are up. OBR does NOT get to use generic command abilities.

PE is now worsen rend by -1

Shrieker prevents Rally and Inspiring Pressence to be used within 12 along with +1 to hit

Terrain piece has to be setup in your territory

Edited by SilverJelly

10 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

I'm kind of pissed we can't use the Redeploy or Unleash Hell abilities.

I assume we're restricted to one command ability cast/received, like everyone else?

It wouldn’t have hurt to just have a line in the FAQ just clarifying this. 

But I think so, we’re restricted on Command Abilities like everyone else. Even more RDP will be flying around but harder to use them effectively. 

At least Petrifex is back with a bang! 

1 minute ago, Obeisance said:

Deathrider Wedge specific states a unit can't benefit from it repeatedly.

That implies we're supposed to be able to use things more than once.

We aren't restricted on CA since we haven't them, we play like before.

We also get 1 RDP if we go first or 2 RDP if we go second.  That's new.  The core battalions that let you use generic command abilities you get a RDP instead. 

Katakros, Arkhan and Nagash will be your warlord in addition to the generic warlord you pick now.  

4 minutes ago, baiardo said:

We aren't restricted on CA since we haven't them, we play like before.

I don't think that's right. OBR does not have command points, but the faction does use relentless discipline points to still issue commands.

From the FAQ:

Relentless discipline points are used to issue a command in the same manner as command points

And the core rules:

6.1 USING COMMAND ABILITIES

To use a command ability, you must spend 1 command point, pick 1 friendly model to issue the command, and pick 1 friendly unit to receive the command. Unless noted otherwise, the models that can issue commands and the units they can issue them to are as follows:

• Unit champions can issue commands to their own unit (see 22.3.2).
• Heroes can issue commands to units that are wholly within 12" of them.
• Generals can issue commands to units that are wholly within 18" of them.
• Totems can issue commands to units that are wholly within 18" of them.

Each command ability will say when it can be used and what effect it has on the unit that receives it.
A model cannot issue more than 1 command in the same phase and a unit cannot receive more than 1 command in the same phase.