AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

So, the best list we can drop os something like:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Mortis Praetorians
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500)
Arch-Kavalos Zandtos (220)
10 x Kavalos Deathriders (360)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

Cavalry is a must for me because our army is so so slow.

so i prefer cavalry instead 4Head guys 

11 hours ago, Caelumnox said:

- Legion: Null Myriad
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Unsettling and Sinister
- Artefact: Baleful Blade
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Kavalos Deathriders (360)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Mortek Shield-corps (120)

As per usual, I'm inclined to say it needs more Mortek Guard.  Especially if you're going to run the Shield-Corps.

Drop the second liege, add the 60 points you have left over, and you can add 20 more morteks - either 30 20 10, or 20 20 20.  Just make sure the mason takes 'arcane command', since you'll be a bit light on RDP.  Alternatively, get just 10 more morteks for 20 20 10, and use the last 130 points for a boneshaper.

Personally, though, I try not to leave Gothizzar with less than 60 mortek guard if I can help it.

• Like 1

I don't know.  Lots of things are subject to immediate change - no battletome battalions, lower maximum unit sizes, no faction terrain, no discounts for maximum unit sizes, points increases for heroes, artillery, maybe everything apart from battleline are all possible changes.  Changes to how normal command points work may also lessen the comparative strength of RDP.  We don't know what the battleplans will look like.  Board size might be changing.

Plus I half expect we'll be getting a new book sooner rather than later.  There were some fuzzy, out of focus, mortek looking models maybe carrying giant glaives in the background of some of the SBGL promotional videos.  And the new Underworlds warband implies the possibility of archers.  And the lack of a big monster centerpiece (outside of nagash and arkhan) is a notable gap in our model range.

Too many potentially moving pieces for me to feel comfortable making any predictions on how it will or won't all come together for OBR in particular.

EDIT: I do expect we'll land in a slightly more competitive space than the new Gravelords book.

And I'm curious to see how things shape up for Arkhan and Nagash.  Nagash in particular was just hit with a near 100 point price jump, but if we really are getting old school arcane bolt and mystic shield back it might be justified.  Old bolt and shield would also be a boost for Arkhan, though with only (ha!) three casts it'll be tough juggling what to roll for each turn.

And both the vampire mortarchs saw an upgrade to 3+ armor.  If we do get a new book in the next year or so, will Arkhan be similarly upgraded?  If so, how much will that increase his points cost?  Or is he meant to have a worse save because he's the dedicated spellcaster of the three, and the only one with a unit that can bodyguard for him in faction?

I have no predictions for how things will work out for OBR in 3e, but there are tons of little questions that I'll be anxiously awaiting answers for.

Edited by Sception
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if OBR is the next Death army due for an update. If AoS 3 command points are going to work more like RDP, a battletome overhaul for OBR seems in order. The new Underworlds warband also teased to more possible unit types, the Executioner and the Ossiarcher Longboneman. Arkhan is probably due an update after all the other mortarchs got one from Gravelords and both him and Nagash just went through a bunch of stuff in the narrative that might even justify new models. Plus, the Ossiarch range is still kinda small. I feel if OBR got an update that would make GA: Death feel mostly complete for the time being.

• Like 1

There's strong signs for all three remaining death armies being relatively soon.  Nighthaunt is the oldest remaining book and the Broken Realms stuff feels like a preview of a book in progress for them.  There's at least one unaccounted for rumor engine teaser that looked a lot like something for FEC.  There were out of focus models in the background of SG promotional videos that looked like new OBR.  I /would/ be surprised to see any of these this year.  We've still got Kragnos to release, and AoS 3.0, and a new Stormcast book & model range, and whatever the stormcast are fighting in the starter box - thought to be a destruction army but not clear which.  Boglins?  Fimir?  And there's been a lot of lore buzz about shadow elves and tyrion's half of the Lumineth, and somethings supposed to be going on with Alarielle, who's faction is also dying for a new book.

Basically a lot of factions have reasonable claims to or signs of being early releases in 3e.  So while I don't think the wait for NH, FEC, and OBR will be too long, I still don't think we'll see any of them this year, and probably won't see all three of them next year either.  So maybe as late as 2023, but that's still 'soon' by GW standards.  As someone who has played Tyranids, Wood Elves, and Chaos Marines through some epic droughts in the past, I assure you, two years is not a long wait for a new GW faction book.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 3

On 5/17/2021 at 6:30 AM, Sception said:

Plus I half expect we'll be getting a new book sooner rather than later.  There were some fuzzy, out of focus, mortek looking models maybe carrying giant glaives in the background of some of the SBGL promotional videos.  And the new Underworlds warband implies the possibility of

Which videos were these?

7 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Which videos were these?

I'm sorry, 'video', singular.  Specifically the Mounted Wight King reveal video from the 'Lords of the Mortal Realms' warhammer community preview event a month or two back.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/20/warhammer-preview-online-lords-of-the-mortal-realms/

Here's a still pic of the bit in question, with what might be new obr in the background on the right.  Mostly just guessing based on the colors of the models, which are roughly studio bonereaperesque, because they're too out of focus to really make out anything else.  They could be existing bonereapers, or something else entirely, or nothing at all.

NEW WIGHT KING ON MOUNT : ageofsigmar

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sception said:

I'm sorry, 'video', singular.  Specifically the Mounted Wight King reveal video from the 'Lords of the Mortal Realms' warhammer community preview event a month or two back.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/20/warhammer-preview-online-lords-of-the-mortal-realms/

Here's a still pic of the bit in question, with what might be new obr in the background on the right.  Mostly just guessing based on the colors of the models, which are roughly studio bonereaperesque, because they're too out of focus to really make out anything else.  They could be existing bonereapers, or something else entirely, or nothing at all.

NEW WIGHT KING ON MOUNT : ageofsigmar

Lmao those look like No dachi weapons. 

Date clan from Shogun 2 flashbacks

Edited by jhamslam

Honestly I am just excited by the prospect of those weapons. A mortek unit with rend -2 seems crazy. That being said I would love to see a full unit of all those weapons (bow, mace, halberd) as they would look awesome.

10 minutes ago, Hungey26 said:

Honestly I am just excited by the prospect of those weapons. A mortek unit with rend -2 seems crazy. That being said I would love to see a full unit of all those weapons (bow, mace, halberd) as they would look awesome.

Whelp I cannot edit the post so here goes. I am not very good at the game and have little experience but I feel like 190 pts for them seems... decent? (again not too good so cannot be sure) Seeing as Mir Kainan is just a straight up better Soulreaper (not hard to do). I assume since he is a named character he cannot be given traits and such?

its alright, worth a shot

the armies points are in a weird place where we get stuck at 190 sometimes, so have to take mortek and endless spells or kavalos deathriders. he solves that problem. 

same number of attacks as 5 deathriders, but a spell addendum for less movement, id try him out but doesnt seem too comp

Here are the next two steps of the "repainting my OBR" project. Some horsies and the scary screamer.

The paint on the horsies is very thick because i had to go over them with wraithbone again, but over all i am very happy with the results.:)

photo_2021-05-23_19-35-25.jpg

photo_2021-05-23_19-35-30.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-24 at 15.26.38.jpeg

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 6

> Playing OBR net list into Tzeentch net list on Starfall

> Bait opponent into shifting whole army to one flank to kill a unit of mortek

> Slightly misdeploy the harvester but 4 of 20 mortek survive. Harvester recycles them back up to 17 after combat with horrors in t2

> Katakros takes 18 MW from spells and shot off t2

> Harvester gets shot off same turn

> Tzeentch double turn into r3

> 2/3 objectives land behind 100 wounds of horrors

> GG

Thats Age of Sigmar, baby 

Edited by PrimeElectrid

2 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

> Playing OBR net list into Tzeentch net list on Starfall

> Bait opponent into shifting whole army to one flank to kill a unit of mortek

> Slightly misdeploy the harvester but 4 of 20 mortek survive. Harvester recycles them back up to 17 after combat with horrors in t2

> Katakros takes 18 MW from spells and shot off t2

> Harvester gets shot off same turn

> Tzeentch double turn into r3

> 2/3 objectives land behind 100 wounds of horrors

> GG

Thats Age of Sigmar, baby 

Tzeentch is cancer, I don't know how someone think this is fun playing against it.

Especially Tzeentch + Archaon, 10 deadly spells plus a miniature that pulverize units/models.

26 minutes ago, baiardo said:

Tzeentch is cancer, I don't know how someone think this is fun playing against it.

Especially Tzeentch + Archaon, 10 deadly spells plus a miniature that pulverize units/models.

Yeah it’s nightmarish but would have been ok if the objectives landed differently. 

Thats really the worst part: you have to play perfectly and get lucky.

• Like 1

I like the look of the underworlds warband, and on the rare occasion when I play it I mostly play casual games, so I might try to run them.  Having the Praetorian keyword kind of sucks, but eh.

Spoiler

- Legion: Null Myriad
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Unsettling and Sinister
- Artefact: Baleful Blade
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
- Nadirite Spear and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- 2x Soulcleaver Greatblades
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Spear and Shield
- 2x Soulcleaver Greatblades
3 x Immortis Guard (180)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)

Total: 1810 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

Leaves exactly 190 points spare.  Not enough morteks, obviously, but I could see running it for the aesthetics.