The Rumour Thread

I looked over the rules for the different subfactions in the current Stormcast battletome. They are all very bland and don't really represent the lore of the subfaction.  knights Excelsior lore- they see everything in black and white and have no qualms about killing the innocent if it serves their view of the greater good. Knights Excelsior rule- +1 to hit and wound on outnumbered paladins. The new rules don't seem any worse than what currently exists. As long as the lore about the different Stormhosts or Cities are still in the books, I'm completely ok with this change. 

Also I definitely think there will be more formations than the 4 from the indexes. They need to have something to make you buy the book. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I looked over the rules for the different subfactions in the current Stormcast battletome. They are all very bland and don't really represent the lore of the subfaction.  knights Excelsior lore- they see everything in black and white and have no qualms about killing the innocent if it serves their view of the greater good. Knights Excelsior rule- +1 to hit and wound on outnumbered paladins. The new rules don't seem any worse than what currently exists. As long as the lore about the different Stormhosts or Cities are still in the books, I'm completely ok with this change. 

Also I definitely think there will be more formations than the 4 from the indexes. They need to have something to make you buy the book. 

If they were lore accurate then the celestial vindicators would get attack bonuses against other humans :)

Edited by Luperci
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vasshpit said:

Krules better get some cav then or that's two for Ironjawz,  one for the bog boyz, and a combined. 

I hope Kruleboyz get more weird swamp lizards as cav. I think the list of the 4 subfactions feels pretty spot on for an Index. Krule might effectively only have 1 until their Battletome is out. 

• Like 2

I think focusing on four Battle formations might wind up being better. How many of an armies sub factions actually got played? Data will show us that each army usually had two that were featured predominantly. Maybe focusing their energy into four solid options might help create more variance in list building. I imagine traits will be similar to what they were before, but just re-organized into specific abilities. I for one prefer the look of the abilities in seperate boxes.  It helps identify rules quicker.  

1 minute ago, Vasshpit said:

Krules better get some cav then or that's two for Ironjawz,  one for the bog boyz, and a combined. 

The Bonereapers have a cavalry subfaction despite only having 2 real cavalry options, and Arkhan, who can/want to use it. Either it’s getting dropped or they’re getting more cav, that’s the way I see it. So you very well might end up with just Kruleboss on Gnashtooth and Vulchas in that one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jetlife said:

I think focusing on four Battle formations might wind up being better. How many of an armies sub factions actually got played? Data will show us that each army usually had two that were featured predominantly. Maybe focusing their energy into four solid options might help create more variance in list building. I imagine traits will be similar to what they were before, but just re-organized into specific abilities. I for one prefer the look of the abilities in seperate boxes.  It helps identify rules quicker.  

I imagine for most armies there'll still be a clear best option, the variance will come from unique heroes giving special regiment bonuses I expect, ie. Krethusa is strong and buffs X units but you can't take her and morathi in the same list who buffs Y units

2 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

The Bonereapers have a cavalry subfaction despite only having 2 real cavalry options, and Arkhan, who can/want to use it. Either it’s getting dropped or they’re getting more cav, that’s the way I see it. So you very well might end up with just Kruleboss on Gnashtooth and Vulchas in that one. 

It makes sort of sense for OBR because you have a cav unit to take a bunch of, whereas KB just have heroes, tbh I expect it is just KB getting the short end of the stick with 1 dedicated formation until our BT. Maybe I'll get some of the new brutes if mixing is more worth, I've been eyeing up that kit for a while they're really nice

4 minutes ago, DinoJon said:

I hope Kruleboyz get more weird swamp lizards as cav. I think the list of the 4 subfactions feels pretty spot on for an Index. Krule might effectively only have 1 until their Battletome is out. 

I'm hoping gnashtoof personally but sure I'll  love whatever as long as the retain there less cartoonish design. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Can we move the discussion about Warcry blended with Mordheim or Necromunda to another topic please? It sounds really cool and I would be a fan of it but I think it needs it's own topic ;) 

Sorry, my fault, you're right. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

This is all temporally. Balance is not the purposal of the Index system

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

All of these feel very flavourful for the SCE. They always have been able to teleport, and them hitting hard feels logic. And they're the beginner faction, so an extra reinforcement to help mitigate a mistake is great for them.

And even if your army can't be Hammers of Sigmar/Hallowed Knights/etc ruleswise anymore, at least the formations make sense. You can still play full dragons, or mix and match minis. I'm sure they'll be a pure warrior chamber formation too.

it's better than that i think! you want to be Hallowed Knights with a paladin heavy army? Now you can, WITHOUT taking the Knights Excelsior traits to make them battleline.

Not sure why people think this means subfactions have gone away? it is only detaching subfactions/color schemes from rules you do not want to use.

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

But that's the index problem. With the new book you will recieve a lot more options.

and i can't wait to see those options!

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Which is just another killaboss in reality. 

So excited to see what orruks and gitmob get next!!

Hopefully we see KB get something relatively early like how necrons got something early 10th edition and nighthaunt got something relatively early 3rd edition. Maybe a box with new cav and foot hero, with some older stuff thrown in too, I would say maybe a vs box like nighthaunt got but they haven't made any of those in a while now.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Probably sales related?

If only GW had, like, some sort of game system where one could play as any of those subfactions as an army on their own. It could even have square bases and take place in the world-that-was! I bet the TWW would be stoked about WHF hitting the tabletop again. 

So for split books like Orruk Warclans and (selfishly) Seraphon do we expect them to be treated as 2 seperate armies living in a singular tome? 

Question would be can we expect specific Battle Traits for Ironjawz and Kruleboyz as well as Starborne and Coalesced? I wouldn't be surprised for them to only have 4 battle formations between the two. 

1 minute ago, DinoJon said:

So for split books like Orruk Warclans and (selfishly) Seraphon do we expect them to be treated as 2 seperate armies living in a singular tome? 

Question would be can we expect specific Battle Traits for Ironjawz and Kruleboyz as well as Starborne and Coalesced? I wouldn't be surprised for them to only have 4 battle formations between the two. 

Check Aeldari Index to have some hints.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Check Aeldari Index to have some hints.

Given harlequins just get strands of fate, I guess IJ and KB will all get a few generic killy battle traits and you'll have to take the formation to get more stealth bonuses for KB or charge bonuses for IJ? God I hope that changes for the BT if that's the case, unless our main battle traits are actually fun and flavourful

• Like 1