The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

No catastrophe for buyers. Its everywhere, no panic buying, can't be scalped, and is an affordable start to either army.

I'd say that was pretty preferable to a situation where the starter box is only available from retail for 24 hours and thereafter can only be bought from ebay for double the price. 

There's a balance to be struck with this kind of stuff.

GW doesn't have unlimited production capacity, especially nowadays we have extreme issues with entire ranges struggling to be in stock anywhere and some countries have been unable to buy certain things for over a year. Producing 2x more Dominion than what was needed was a huge amount of plastic and cardboard gone into stuff that could have been allocated elsewhere. Great; you can buy 200,000 Yndrasta's off of Ebay but Lumineth players can't buy a battlecow and Australians haven't been able to buy a Land Raider in years.

Not only that but all that excess stock has to be returned to get destroyed. It is hugely wasteful in an industry that is already massively wasteful and has a crazy carbon footprint.

So yes it is catastrophic for buyers because it negatively effects every other product GW produces.

• Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Isn't it the same? You buy to sell in the end.

If you're breaking up the boxes and selling the individual units at a reasonable price then that's a valuable service imo. The problem is where one guy buys 20 copies of the box and immediately lists them on ebay for £500 each

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

On 3/25/2024 at 12:21 AM, GloomkingWortwazi said:

The vampire is reflected in the water, except they themselves have no reflection (vampire folklore)

/OfftopicOn

Silver was belived to be a pure metal that repelled impure souls. Part of the vampire folklore comes because ancient mirrors used a layer of silver, and therefore, they couldn't reflect vampires.

Vampires that can't be reflected in other surfaces (aka, on a lake) is a twist to classic folklore and part of the popular culture (and a great hook for any modern adaptation). 

/OfftopicOff

Edited by Beliman
Grammar
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

GW doesn't have unlimited production capacity, especially nowadays we have extreme issues with entire ranges struggling to be in stock anywhere and some countries have been unable to buy certain things for over a year. Producing 2x more Dominion than what was needed was a huge amount of plastic and cardboard gone into stuff that could have been allocated elsewhere. Great; you can buy 200,000 Yndrasta's off of Ebay but Lumineth players can't buy a battlecow and Australians haven't been able to buy a Land Raider in years.

Not only that but all that excess stock has to be returned to get destroyed. It is hugely wasteful in an industry that is already massively wasteful and has a crazy carbon footprint.

So yes it is catastrophic for buyers because it negatively effects every other product GW produces.

Does it though? Those boxes are made month's in advance from different suppliers, and specially made becuase they are only made for that product compared to everything else having a standard size which are easily mass produced and they prob get at a regular interval, same with the plastic they know how many they need to make and start making them maybe before even the boxes arrive.

And they know how many models they sell each month and could account for that espically with at least a year in advance. ( also ive seen how some plastic models are created and its super fast so unless changing the mold takes weeks each time no idea what is making it hard for gw to keep stuff in stock, other than the instructions becuase they could just send it to people in the white boxes which they do)

And maybe gw stores destroy excess stock and label it as a write off as we have seen video evidence of that but local shops wont do that they paid for those boxes.

Now the worst thing of the top of my head that could be a big problem to local stores and gw would be those boxes taking up valuable storage space but that doesnt really feel like a reason why gw has been having such a bad time keeping stuff in stock for years long after dominion went on sale

Edited by Crypt

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

/OfftopicOn

Silver was belived to be a pure metal that reppelled impure souls. Part of this folklore comes because ancient mirrors used a layer of silver, and therefore, they couldn't reflect vampires.

Vampires that can't being reflected in other surfaces (aka, on a lake) is a twist to classic folklore and part of the popular culture (and a great hook for any modern adaptation). 

/OfftopicOff

Offtopic back on

I heard silver is said to be the babe of warewolves maybe vampires becuase of this one guy in the bible who sold out jesus for some silver coins

59 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Isn't it the same? You buy to sell in the end.

Scalping is an attempt to buy up supply to sell on at an inflated price once it's no longer available at rrp. It works best for products in incredibly high demand with multiple short windows of stocking or with very limited availability. The point is to force people to pay much more than they should do for it. That's why it was an issue with things like limited edition books and box sets, there's a set quantity of them that scalpers can easily soak up to deny the rest of the market

When they're breaking the boxes down to sell the units inside individually there tends to be only a slight markup, with the benefit for the community being that if you only want more Von Ryan's Leapers and Barbgaunts, I can do so whilst spending slightly more per sprue than I would otherwise, but without having to spent the total of the cost of the box and get stuck with a bunch of kits I don't need.

It's all about profit and exploiting the market but one is working within it to provide a service whilst making profit, the other is about denying others access to something so you can control the supply and price to extort them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, EonChao said:

Scalping is an attempt to buy up supply to sell on at an inflated price once it's no longer available at rrp. It works best for products in incredibly high demand with multiple short windows of stocking or with very limited availability. The point is to force people to pay much more than they should do for it. That's why it was an issue with things like limited edition books and box sets, there's a set quantity of them that scalpers can easily soak up to deny the rest of the market

When they're breaking the boxes down to sell the units inside individually there tends to be only a slight markup, with the benefit for the community being that if you only want more Von Ryan's Leapers and Barbgaunts, I can do so whilst spending slightly more per sprue than I would otherwise, but without having to spent the total of the cost of the box and get stuck with a bunch of kits I don't need.

It's all about profit and exploiting the market but one is working within it to provide a service whilst making profit, the other is about denying others access to something so you can control the supply and price to extort them.

I am super happy to see how the overall consensus here is that it is something positive. I think the same and I usually do it with stuff like the CoS spearhead where I bought the box and sold half of it. In Spain most of the comments I saw are that people treat you as a scalper anyway.

9 minutes ago, Crypt said:

Does it though? Those boxes are made month's in advance from different suppliers, and specially made becuase they are only made for that product compared to everything else having a standard size which are easily mass produced and they prob get at a regular interval, same with the plastic they know how many they need to make and start making them maybe before even the boxes arrive.

And they know how many models they sell each month and could account for that espically with at least a year in advance. ( also ive seen how some plastic models are created and its super fast so unless changing the mold takes weeks each time no idea what is making it hard for gw to keep stuff in stock, other than the instructions becuase they could just send it to people in the white boxes which they do)

And maybe gw stores destroy excess stock and label it as a write off as we have seen video evidence of that but local shops wont do that they paid for those boxes.

Now the worst thing of the top of my head that could be a big problem to local stores and gw would be those boxes taking up valuable storage space but that doesnt really feel like a reason why gw has been having such a bad time keeping stuff in stock for years long after dominion went on sale

It's nothing to do with speed or planning etc. Whilst those are all factors in the overall thing the main issue is the size of the GW brand and how much is made in house.

Of course they're doing things like balancing safe working practices at the factory with ever increasing demand for models. GW took a stab at what they thought The Old World would sell, they turned out to be wildly wrong, so they have to reallocate production time to restocking that, in the mean time 10 other kits go out of stock, so they have to then work out what priority there is to allocate production time there is to restocking, and this will be done based on demand and complexity.

That production time restocking will include putting in orders for new boxes, instructions and books which aren't printed in house, as well as shipping. The whole thing is a bit like spinning plates.

Thing is GW rarely destroys stock (they do but it's a last resort) so if you go to the actual shops, especially Warhammer World, it's not impossible to find old box sets where they've got a few extra copies waiting to be sold, same as lgs do.

So the whole thing is nothing to do with how long it takes to cast a sprue, or ship a product to stores, or order boxes etc, it's about the sheer number of sku's they have to keep available as best they can. And trust me, as frustrating as it is to wait for restocks there's plenty of fandoms where production of merch is carried out in factories in Asia where there just is no restocks. Maybe we have to be patient but GW will eventually restock most of those things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I'm totally picking up a box of them when The Old World gets around to it. 

It's something I felt when the new Darkoaths surfaced... Chaos is becoming increasingly un-chaotic. I don't approve. I want dark, baroque madness with tentacles! 

Well most of the chaos std stuff are basically not what chaos was in warhammer fantasy like say norsca who worshipped them and fought for boons. 

Darkoath for the most part dont worship them at least the tribe of that character they dont, they hate all gods and wish to be left alone they are just forced between a rock and a hard place and for reason thought hey making an oath with chaos is the better option, while still hating them and being weary. Which is similiar to the whole story of std who follow archaon.  Most of the mutation stuff is left to the actual mortals who worship chaos in the respective gods mortal faction. Which is interesting but also seems weird there isnt more strife 

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Ruination mini or Liberator today? Yay or nay?

Neither. We're getting a lore article and a rules article this week. At least that what the Sunday preview said. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Neither. We're getting a lore article and a rules article this week. At least that what the Sunday preview said. 

The last Monday Models were BB, Necromunda, BB, HH, and 40k... maybe we have a surprise AoS one, especially as an answer to the complaints about the lack of minis shown and the leaks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I am super happy to see how the overall consensus here is that it is something positive. I think the same and I usually do it with stuff like the CoS spearhead where I bought the box and sold half of it. In Spain most of the comments I saw are that people treat you as a scalper anyway.

I mean that all tends to be down to a difference of opinion in different groups, and people upset by something will likely be more vocal and active about expressing their opinion. If a community has been hit heavily by scalpers then they tend to be much more unwilling to tolerate even more mundane actions. Supply within in that market is a factor as well. Like if the CoS spearhead was hard to get in Spain then they might mistake you buying and splitting one with you buying and splitting a dozen for profit etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Yeah I normally don't see it when they sell parts of the box separately too bad. There are plenty of people that only want certain parts of the box and can't justify buying the whole thing. I tend to find the individual models sold from these boxes end up a lot cheaper than buying direct from GW and even discount sites so the person that bought them is happy grabbing it cheap and the person selling it made a slight profit back. Feels very different from someone buying a box with the intention of selling the whole thing off at a stupid price because then you are punishing the buyer.

• Like 2

I'd love to see some new skaven characters that are basically pinky and the brain,  having grand massive plans that ultimately end up in some grandtastic failure and then they succry away back into the house of their human owner who is probably mad and sees them as pets while brain comes up with another grandnplan to take over the world, or just impress the high council. A new pair to help thanquol fail.

18 minutes ago, Crypt said:

Offtopic back on

I heard silver is said to be the babe of warewolves maybe vampires becuase of this one guy in the bible who sold out jesus for some silver coins

/OfftopicON (it's soulblight fault!)

It's hard to know why silver was believed to be a "pure metal", and I think it's impossible to track when this myth started (each culture having their own vampires didn't help). Juda's coins is a good assumption, but I'm not sure that the cristian mythology was the main source (some say that the holy silver came from the greeks), but it was a nice hook for modern authors.

29 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Right. I let the frustration get the better of me. Dropped this under their FB post with the preorders annoucement.

image.png.2026954a63d2fb776aa59ccb687f35e0.png

I'll let you know, if there's any meaningful response.

Is this due to the scenery piece do you think? Vaguely recall there being delays with the hunter and hunted box too, from announcement. But could be wrong? 

2 hours ago, Bosskelot said:

Was dominion a limited run that they massively over produced? Or was it an ongoing product that they continued to make throughout the edition?

Perhaps they could be moving to the latter model for Ruination, particularly as it seems to also fulfill a dual role as a starter box for spearhead.

37 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Right. I let the frustration get the better of me. Dropped this under their FB post with the preorders annoucement.

image.png.2026954a63d2fb776aa59ccb687f35e0.png

I'll let you know, if there's any meaningful response.

IMO this is roughly the following release map:

- Sunday 31. Kill Team Mandrakes box announced, as they have a battle report this week in W+.
- Sunday 7 April. Unknown. It seems an obvious time for either 40k Ork/ Custodes or Warcry.
- Sunday 14. Dawnbringers 6 and all its related content. if it is not 14 it is on the 21st.
- Sunday 21. If at this point we didn't have Warcry but we got Book 6, then it must be Warcry. If not Book 6, then Dawnbringers 6.

8 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Is this due to the scenery piece do you think? Vaguely recall there being delays with the hunter and hunted box too, from announcement. But could be wrong? 

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? It could be just about any reason. And to be honest, I don't even care about 'why'. All I'm asking for is 'when'. 

• Like 1