The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Luperci said:

after several editions of aos and 40k, the novelty has worn off for me a bit, a lot of the lore and art is recycled, not that they should be only in one book and disappear forever, but it feels like it comes at the expense of new content and the fact that codex/battletome points are not even always valid on release is even worse

They should make a proper evergreen coffee table book for each faction. Lore, art, painting guides etc. Really go to town.

Then just publish the rules for free online, or else have all the allegiance abilities, battle tactics unlockable on the app.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

5 minutes ago, Luperci said:

after several editions of aos and 40k, the novelty has worn off for me a bit, a lot of the lore and art is recycled, not that they should be only in one book and disappear forever, but it feels like it comes at the expense of new content and the fact that codex/battletome points are not even always valid on release is even worse

Oh, you are very much preaching to the choir. I love GW and I'm generally very positive regarding their releases and products, but as a (very) long-term customer, I think the quality/quantity and price equilibrium around their books is way off. IMO new Army books should have newly commissioned front cover art and multiple new art pieces throughout the publication. Significantly more lore/ background (Significant new content each time) and should be a minimum of 150+ pages. (Most hover around just under 100). A new book should be exciting for rules lovers as well as lore/art/collectors. 

• Like 6

Ok, gotta go now, sadly I can't stay awake. I give total approval to whoever wants to post the 13th dong/doom when the trailer drops. Hope I wake up in a few hours to see some good ******.

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

I mean, Cursed City had some serious Darkest Dungeon vibes so it's not inconcievable that the CoS Flagelents may be suspiciously similar.

Speaking of, I'd love to see a new warhammer quest, if only the price of entry was more reasonable

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

John Blanche is ridiculously overrated. There. I said it. 

a better way of saying this might be "i appreciate his personal artstyle, but Warhammer relying on it for all of their IPs is a crutch they can only hold onto for so long"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Speaking of, I'd love to see a new warhammer quest, if only the price of entry was more reasonable

Funnily enough, talking about value. With a 20% discount, I think that Cursed City is one of the best value boxes that GW does! 60 fantastic minis! books, cards, tokens, tiles etc all for £100. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Funnily enough, talking about value. With a 20% discount, I think that Cursed City is one of the best value boxes that GW does! 60 fantastic minis! books, cards, tokens, tiles etc all for £100. 

Me: How much value can u put in a 4th edition box?

GW: Yes-Yes

43 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

a better way of saying this might be "i appreciate his personal artstyle, but Warhammer relying on it for all of their IPs is a crutch they can only hold onto for so long"

I'll be honest, I've never liked his work. I know he's like the holy cow, but I wonder how many people secretly feel the same.

Even as a kid, warhammer to me was Adrian Smith and Karl Kopiniski. I think Blanche with his weirdly proportioned characters and 'can't be arsed' style on the detail, was just too surrealist. I never felt transported by his art, and I feel like his impact on warhammer has been wildly overstated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I'll be honest, I've never liked his work. I know he's like the holy cow, but I wonder how many people secretly feel the same.

Even as a kid, warhammer to me was Adrian Smith and Karl Kopiniski. I think Blanche with his weirdly proportioned characters and 'can't be arsed' style on the detail, was just too surrealist. I never felt transported by his art, and I feel like his impact on warhammer has been wildly overstated. 

I feel similar. I appreciate the work he has done for the game, i like some artworks but most are not for me. I wonder what art direction 4th is getting.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

he's an amazing concept artist imo, I can understand your point for full pieces like the 40k 3rd ed cover though I suppose, I do much prefer the more painterly impressionistic(not sure if that's the right description) art we've seen a lot of more recently like Paul Dainton's stuff, once again it's a shame he's no longer one of their in house illustrators, hopefully they get him on to freelance occasionally

Spoiler

image.jpeg.44b66908c78c6cc29ba911023db49673.jpeg

Spoiler

image.jpeg.81742c0d268bcee905c63830b9a74097.jpeg

• Like 1

Just remember that art is highly personal, both in creation and appreciation of it. It's supposed to be subjective. Statements like, "They are" are just "I think/feel they are".

Love me some Adrian Smith as well. Very iconic Warhammer art.
I would love to see Daniel Dociu do some pieces of concept work for each of the realms some day 🥰 (probably unlikely though).

Back on topic though... do you think if the zealot warband is for underworlds, we'll get yet another dog? lol

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I don't particularly want a John Blanche painting on my wall, but the Mordheim rulebook is one of the most evocative, atmospheric things I ever seen. 

As for his influence on Warhammer, it's not just his own art you need to consider. I don't think it's a coincidence that Paul Dainton left GW shortly after John Blanche retired. He was the head of the art department for many years. Would Karl Kopinski, Adrian Smith or Mark Gibbons ever have worked for GW if John Blanche wasn't overseeing things? I don't know if he hired them directly but he was definitely their boss. 

Have we ruled out deathcast being a Death army? I know its like a refresh of first edition stormcast. I cant help but feel like moving some warscrolls out of the SCE tome isnt really a bad thing. I also think a second army of stormcast could be a good thing. Kind of like how Chaos marines complement normal marines.

23 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Have we ruled out deathcast being a Death army? I know its like a refresh of first edition stormcast. I cant help but feel like moving some warscrolls out of the SCE tome isnt really a bad thing. I also think a second army of stormcast could be a good thing. Kind of like how Chaos marines complement normal marines.

Gods I hope not, an AOS 'Horus heresy' is the last thing the game needs in its lore

• Thanks 6