The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

I'm really torn on the idea of indexes. Overall I think it's good for the game, and helps ensure everyone is on the same playing field and don't have to wait up to 3 years to get a battletome updated for the current edition. The most grossly overpowered armies in this edition were the armies using 2nd edition battletomes for a long time (Beasts of Chaos, Flesheater Courts, Seraphon, Cities) and the White Dwarf updates were a clunky solution.

As a Stormcast player, I know the index will be invalidated quickly by the new Battletome, and then the battletome will be power crept out of relevance within 1-2 years. 

As a Seraphon player I would be very happy to get new rules because the 3rd edition book really missed the mark for me.

As a new FEC player, I would be annoyed that my new Battletome would get invalidated so quickly. This wouldn't be such a problem if FEC got an index at the start of this edition.

I don't follow 40k closely, but my impression is that the 40k team has handled updating the indexes very well. They just released an entirely new index for Dark Eldar. Even if it is just copy/pasted from their upcoming codex, at least it shows a commitment to making sure no army is left behind for long periods of time.

The only complaints I've heard about 40k indexes is that some armies are way too strong (Eldar) and some armies are lacking flavour (Death Guard). 

Yeah, a lot of the problems with 10th aren't because they switched to indexes, they switched to indexes to apply said changes. I don't care so much about balance so I'm mainly sad to lose the flavour which hasn't really come back in the same way for the full codexes. Also it's pretty silly to me that the stormcast/marine book doesn't just drop upon edition launch instead of having an index in use for maybe 2 months. The books will have already been printed so it's not like any feedback from the index can even be applied.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Yeah, a lot of the problems with 10th aren't because they switched to indexes, they switched to indexes to apply said changes. I don't care so much about balance so I'm mainly sad to lose the flavour which hasn't really come back in the same way for the full codexes. Also it's pretty silly to me that the stormcast/marine book doesn't just drop upon edition launch instead of having an index in use for maybe 2 months. The books will have already been printed so it's not like any feedback from the index can even be applied.

The index approach in 40 (at least in theory) is not about releasing a tome that invalidates the index but expanding the index with more options, so SM didn't had an index for just 2 months.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mawhis117 said:

I was intrigued by this short paragraph at the end of Dawnbringers 4 entitled "The Embergard Visitation"

Hide contents

Even as the Dawners purged the last undead from Embergard's surface, passages were discovered leading into the mountains of Ashenmount. Within these catacombs were discovered two prizes: glowing veins of emberstone and the signs of a buried city of death. Yet rather than some new attack by the undead, all that met the crusaders was silence - though those who first began mining operations still murmured of phantasmal shapes scurrying though the blackness

Oh dang! Maybe we will see Clans Shrykt in AoS4 afterall as the new “Kruleboyz”?

IMG_2469.png?ex=65e76621&is=65d4f121&hm=

AoS4 Era of the Returned. Skryre backed by phantasm Clans lost in immaterium between Realms vs Thunderstrike backed by the locked away hollowed lightning souls of the Ruination chamber?

(and the return theme running with Death being the hero and re-emerging races like the Gholemkind & Drogrukh)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Oh dang! Maybe we will see Clans Shrykt in AoS4 afterall as the new “Kruleboyz”?

AoS4 Era of the Returned. Skryre backed by phantasm Clans lost in immaterium between Realms vs Thunderstrike backed by the locked away hollowed lightning souls of the Ruination chamber?

Also seems to follow the Aqshy rumour. Solid guess.

Edit: funny thing is that SCE seem like they cant return.

Edited by Gitzdee

9 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

if SCE can't return at all, half the Realms should be reclaimed from Chaos already 🤔 game isn't old enough or expanded enough to cut off the selling point of Stormcast.

conversely, if the Reforging Flaw ever gets fixed, that would probably be the best time to crack Azyr open.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Also seems to follow the Aqshy rumour. Solid guess.

Yeah, we went from rolling between Ulgu or Chamon next to Chamon or Aqshy. 😅

Still hope for Chamon though as the main realm focus with Aqshy as the big second.

And on Ruination chamber I meant return from the statues they’ve been locked in up in Azyr. They keep the souls too broken to be reforged properly up there so that works as “Returned” with them finally coming back to the battlefield for one final service.

Reforging is too baked into the identity of the faction and lore of the setting(especially Azyr which has multiple resurrection themes). That’d be like taking Runes away from Dawi. Some break but the majority stay strong with it.

15 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

if SCE can't return at all, half the Realms should be reclaimed from Chaos already

Indeed. Their immortality and ability to respawn back into the fight is one of the main things keeping the Realms from being overrun from all the other immortal forces out there attacking every corner of the Arcane Cosmos.

That’s not going anywhere. Ruination chamber may just show the final form of what abusing that privilege without a strong enough soul can cause(or those too tormented like the ones freed from the NightHaunt but unstable from the tortures)

If they’re anything like the Thunderous Ones from the Excelsior lore then I could see the more violent chambers viewing immortality as a cocoon of sorts until they reach the final stage after near a thousand years where they’re lightning encased in armor and exchange it and their humanity for barely restrained god powers turning opponents to ash just by looking at them. ️ 

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, we went from rolling between Ulgu or Chamon next to Chamon or Aqshy. 😅

Still hope for Chamon though as the main realm focus with Aqshy as the big second.

And on Ruination chamber I meant return from the statues they’ve been locked in up in Azyr. They keep the souls too broken to be reforged properly up there so that works as “Returned” with them finally coming back to the battlefield for one final service.

Reforging is too baked into the identity of the faction and lore of the setting(especially Azyr which has multiple resurrection themes). That’d be like taking Runes away from Dawi. Some break but the majority stay strong with it.

Indeed. Their immortality and ability to respawn back into the fight is one of the main things keeping the Realms from being overrun from all the other immortal forces out there attacking every corner of the Arcane Cosmos.

That’s not going anywhere. Ruination chamber may just show the final form of what abusing that privilege without a strong enough soul can cause(or those too tormented like the ones freed from the NightHaunt but unstable from the tortures)

If they’re anything like the Thunderous Ones from the Excelsior lore then I could see the more violent chambers viewing immortality as a cocoon of sorts until they reach the final stage after near a thousand years where they’re lightning encased in armor and exchange it and their humanity for barely restrained god powers turning opponents to ash just by looking at them. ️ 

I would love to learn more about Chamon, seems like a nice contrast to the Ghur/beast theme we had going on this edition. I think we will be seeing an Ulgu/ Hysh combo with a Malerion/ Tyrion. I think it might be the next "dawnbringers" story leading up to 5th edition. Just dont think its likely to get new Skaven, chorfs and malerion in the same edition. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

(and the return theme running with Death being the hero and re-emerging races like the Gholemkind & Drogrukh)

There's another, longer story about Mannfred trying to steal Arkhan's stuff while he's dead temporarily by breaking into an old tomb only to have a flood of iundead rats come flooding out, with green light emanating from deeper in.

Edited by mawhis117
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

5 minutes ago, mawhis117 said:

There's another, longer story about Mannfred trying to steal Arkhan's stuff while he's dead temporarily by breaking into an old tomb only to have a flood of iundead rats come flooding out, with green light emanating from deeper in.

Ties in with the Death antagonist rumour we had a while back? We all fighting undead Skaven soon? Could the new RE be a Skaven Necromancer staff?

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I would love to learn more about Chamon, seems like a nice contrast to the Ghur/beast theme we had going on this edition. I think we will be seeing an Ulgu/ Hysh combo with a Malerion/ Tyrion. I think it might be the next "dawnbringers" story leading up to 5th edition. Just dont think its likely to get new Skaven, chorfs and malerion in the same edition. 

Agreed on all fronts there.

The Realm of Metal has so many interesting new locales to explore from seas of Liquid metal and golden roads paved by the Lantic empire to it’s sub-realms of floating “planet continents” and I always love seeing more of the Ironbark glades there and their close kinship to the duardin clans they saved during the Age of Chaos.

“Treelord Grundylach and Warden King Aedagrim are the joint  rulers  of  Karaznethil.  They  are  as  close  as  brothers,  and while stern when alone, they share inside jokes in each other’s  company,  grinning  beneath  their  beards.  Many  such  Sylvaneth-Duardin  pairings  exist  in  Karaznethil,  from  ‘Mossbeards’  who  grumble  away  the  days  together  to  Duardin  lineages  who  pledge  themselves  to  a  single  Noble  Spirit,  each  new  generation  befriending  each  new  reincarnation. 

Refuges of the Realms, Pg. 4 “

And yeah I doubt we’ll see Malerion soon. I imagine the Croneseer cult and River Lumineth are gonna be our Malerion & Tyrion stand-ins for 4th until they can add hype for 5th.

20 minutes ago, mawhis117 said:

Yep. On Reddit people were showing off a blurb about it too.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Maybe they want to move sub-factions even more towards Realm-specific to keep expanding on later?(like they’ve done with others such as Seraphon salamanders and handlers heavily tied to Aqshy, Snarlfangs opening up Grot influence in Ghur & Hysh and Stormcast getting new dragon friends from Ghur to tie their importance there instead of it being all Azyr for examples)

A Clans of ghost/ethereal rats would do for Shyish Skaven and the daemonic parts of Aqshy & Eight-Points.

Which if so, let’s go Fyreslayer Lodge Tangrim! Open up duardin flavors in Azyr with some duardin lightning samurai! 👏 ️ 

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

And elves and dwarves returning for Cities.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

if SCE can't return at all, half the Realms should be reclaimed from Chaos already 🤔 game isn't old enough or expanded enough to cut off the selling point of Stormcast.

conversely, if the Reforging Flaw ever gets fixed, that would probably be the best time to crack Azyr open.

What about Sigmar going mad and making all the non-stormcast inhabitants from Azyr leave? Feels weird we don't have Azyr as a CoS playable city, so I played around with this idea. Something happens (either the crack or something else) that ends up putting Sigmar on the point of leaving Azyr for the Stormcast.

• LOVE IT! 1

36 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

What about Sigmar going mad and making all the non-stormcast inhabitants from Azyr leave? Feels weird we don't have Azyr as a CoS playable city, so I played around with this idea. Something happens (either the crack or something else) that ends up putting Sigmar on the point of leaving Azyr for the Stormcast.

I’d vastly prefer the Azyr cities being introduced becuase a crack in Azyr’s defenses happened and they’re venturing out to secure a bulkhead outside of it in the same vein the Ossiarchs built a massive fortress in front of the Shyish Realmgate to Eight-Points.(they can expand out from there as a need for defense resources for the “mother realm” and  conscriptions if you want really aggressive expansion reasons for being in other realms)

Sigmar just kicking out billions of innocents into the untamed frontier to get slaughtered would both be comically grimderp(and there are billions thanks to all the Realms refugees there multiplying after centuries of safety. Some of Azyr’s mountains are just stacked up houses on top of eachother there’s so many) and character assassination for the God-King. 

I know you said go mad but I really prefer the heroic leader he is now with the weight of godhood and protecting the mortals of the Realms on his shoulders trying to make things better for everyone.

“‘You are immortal,’ said Alarielle. ‘They will find your sympathy false.’

‘I did not seek to be so,’ said Sigmar. ‘I would have happily lived and died a mortal king. Some higher power had other plans for me.’ He looked at her earnestly. ‘Many chose Chaos because they had no other choice. They can be redeemed, even those whose hearts may seem black. But there are always those that seek to cheat death, and the lords of Chaos offer a way to do so, and are cunning enough to allow a few to ascend to become their immortal slaves. That is how they gained access to the realms in the first place. We became too distant from our charges, and they grew afraid. Chaos offered them immortality, of a sort. They did not know it was a trap.’

‘Then what do you want of me?’ said Alarielle.

‘You have held yourself aloof for many ages, my lady,’ he said. ‘It would aid us all in defeating the four powers for good if you went again among the mortals. Teach them your wisdom. You of all the gods understand the ebb and flow of mortality best, and that death is but a turning of the way.’

‘I do not know what becomes of the souls of men,’ she said. ‘Does even Nagash? You ask me to lie to them.’

‘Not at all,’ he said. ‘I wish you to invest in them a love of all that is natural and alive, to appreciate its power and fecundity. If they learn to follow the rhythm of life’s wondrous patterns, fewer of them will be tempted to fear its end. There always will be those who are incapable of fellow feeling, or whose greed outmatches their empathy,’ he said. ‘Many others can be saved by you.’

‘I cannot do this,’ she said. ‘What is the point? Chaos rules already.’

‘Cannot, or will not?’ said Sigmar. ‘You were worshipped all throughout Ghyran and beyond once, my lady. You can be again. You have become warlike to respond to a time of war, but you must reach inside yourself, and find that gentler creature you once were. We need to look beyond the end of this war, and prepare for peace. If we do not, then there will be another golden age, but soon enough Chaos will return and shatter the realms anew.’ “

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Where is this conversation from o.o

Short story “Pantheon” by Guy Haley which takes place after Alarielle is rescued from Nurgle’s forces and meets up with Sigmar again after centuries of being apart on the celestial mountain top of Highheim.

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pantheon_(short_story)

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mount_Celestian

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Bah, the Mannfred story had originally been described to me as reanimated undead rats, something that might have been a sign of arkhan returning.  Seeing the actual story that's explicitly not the case, and very much a skaven thing, with rats that are diseased but alive, not undead.

Oh, well.  Still waiting on any sign of Arkhan's return.  I'm happy enough to leave Nagash in time out for the medium term, maybe even rebrand his model as an 'Avatar of Nagash' (as an excuse to drop its power a bit and its points cost a lot) with his true self recuperating while slowly going mad in the Nadir.  But I'd really like Arkhan back sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I would love to learn more about Chamon, seems like a nice contrast to the Ghur/beast theme we had going on this edition. 

Hearty agreement to that. Chamon has been the realm that has attracted me the most. Possibly just because I like painting gold!

It'd be a good excuse for them to make the avarice-themed Slaanesh character that I've been craving, too. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I’d vastly prefer the Azyr cities being introduced becuase a crack in Azyr’s defenses happened and they’re venturing out to secure a bulkhead outside of it in the same vein the Ossiarchs built a massive fortress in front of the Shyish Realmgate to Eight-Points.(they can expand out from there as a need for defense resources for the “mother realm” and  conscriptions if you want really aggressive expansion reasons for being in other realms)

Sigmar just kicking out billions of innocents into the untamed frontier to get slaughtered would both be comically grimderp(and there are billions thanks to all the Realms refugees there multiplying after centuries of safety. Some of Azyr’s mountains are just stacked up houses on top of eachother there’s so many) and character assassination for the God-King. 

I know you said go mad but I really prefer the heroic leader he is now with the weight of godhood and protecting the mortals of the Realms on his shoulders trying to make things better for everyone.

“‘You are immortal,’ said Alarielle. ‘They will find your sympathy false.’

‘I did not seek to be so,’ said Sigmar. ‘I would have happily lived and died a mortal king. Some higher power had other plans for me.’ He looked at her earnestly. ‘Many chose Chaos because they had no other choice. They can be redeemed, even those whose hearts may seem black. But there are always those that seek to cheat death, and the lords of Chaos offer a way to do so, and are cunning enough to allow a few to ascend to become their immortal slaves. That is how they gained access to the realms in the first place. We became too distant from our charges, and they grew afraid. Chaos offered them immortality, of a sort. They did not know it was a trap.’

‘Then what do you want of me?’ said Alarielle.

‘You have held yourself aloof for many ages, my lady,’ he said. ‘It would aid us all in defeating the four powers for good if you went again among the mortals. Teach them your wisdom. You of all the gods understand the ebb and flow of mortality best, and that death is but a turning of the way.’

‘I do not know what becomes of the souls of men,’ she said. ‘Does even Nagash? You ask me to lie to them.’

‘Not at all,’ he said. ‘I wish you to invest in them a love of all that is natural and alive, to appreciate its power and fecundity. If they learn to follow the rhythm of life’s wondrous patterns, fewer of them will be tempted to fear its end. There always will be those who are incapable of fellow feeling, or whose greed outmatches their empathy,’ he said. ‘Many others can be saved by you.’

‘I cannot do this,’ she said. ‘What is the point? Chaos rules already.’

‘Cannot, or will not?’ said Sigmar. ‘You were worshipped all throughout Ghyran and beyond once, my lady. You can be again. You have become warlike to respond to a time of war, but you must reach inside yourself, and find that gentler creature you once were. We need to look beyond the end of this war, and prepare for peace. If we do not, then there will be another golden age, but soon enough Chaos will return and shatter the realms anew.’ “

I would Love to see something happening that makes Sigmar into a wandering god akin to Odin, bestowing blessings  amd boons on battles and warriors he happens on. 

Rumour-mongers, soothsayers, children of the Fanged One:

Have there been any whispers about other OOP Forgeworld kits returning with the Old World, in the same vein that we have the Troll Hag confirmed as coming back?

I would really like to pick up some Forgeworld Fimir for a painting project, but they go for the craziest prices.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

Have there been any whispers about other OOP Forgeworld kits returning with the Old World, in the same vein that we have the Troll Hag confirmed as coming back?

I would really like to pick up some Forgeworld Fimir for a painting project, but they go for the craziest prices.

Nothing so far about Fimirs, I would say.

Edited by Ejecutor

21 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

There are gonna return the greenskins models.

1 hour ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

Not that I know of, but bro, you can just searc 3D printed fimirs around there, it's not quite hard to find them