The Rumour Thread

5 minutes ago, ERHanmer said:

For the future of Beasts of Chaos, I see a few possibilities:

1) They are gone and some models are rolled into other chaos factions.

2) They are wiped and revamped with minimal current models remaining. Everything else would be new.

3) They are gone completely and Beasts players have to move to The Old World or buy new armies.

I think a lot of us are excited about 4.0, but also nervous and disappointed by aspects of 3.0.

We have seen dead-on-arrival 40K editions before. I'm always nervous about change, because GW also breaks things just to make sales.

3.0 has had a lot of great releases. The rules formatting is AMAZING.  But the execution of the "Era of the Beast" has been lackluster.

We are in Ghur, but who cares? What has actually happened that has made this the Era of the Beast? I don't see beasts. We just got monstrous actions and a  cheap Halloween decoration with some terrain.

I would have pushed for Grand Alliance monsters any faction in a grand alliance can take.

I would have made monsters more impactful on the table.

I would also change to mini narrative series like Dawnbringers periodically in the edition to keep things spicy.

I don't se Ghur themed anything other than battle packs that could easily be used in any other realm narratively.

COVID may have played a role, but AOS has struggled locally since 3.0 dropped. I've had to resort to bribery with prizes to get people to come to events and help boost sales for my friend's game store.

Dawnbringers has been fun, but it is also devolving into a story about two armies bumbling into increasingly ridiculous disasters. The story also literally picks up immediately after Broken Realms. I feel as if no passage of time or real consequences have occurred.

Beast of Chaos and Kragnos have felt absolutely neglected and inconsequential.

Even if we go to Ulgu, I am not expecting much. The fact that Chaos Dwarves and not Malerion are supported rumors depresses me to no end.

Beasts of Chaos as they exist in AOS feel like a soup-faction to me anyway - if they do go, then GW could create at least three new factions from them if they really wanted to.

Firstly, You have the "mainline" Beasts of Chaos, who don't worship chaos and want to destroy civilisation. You could quite easily replace them by bringing the Drogrukh back to destruction, which would have the added benefit of fixing the issue of Kragnos not really looking like anything else in his Grand Alliance. Ok, this wouldn't be Chaos, but it would still look and feel a lot like BoC.

Then you have the Gavespawn, who the rest of the faction see as insane. This could quite easily also be it's own faction, and the lore, such as it is, seems to be developing in a way that indicates that Morghur will come back. 

Then lastly you have the Dragon Ogors, who have some really great lore about their grudge against Sigmar for being kicked out of Azyr. A faction of big stompy chaos monsters might go down quite well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gillio said:

These beastmen rumors make me nervous for my dwarfs in cities of sigmar....

38 minutes ago, ERHanmer said:

I'm a Dark Elf player for Cities. You and I have been on borrowed time since the first book. I would not plan to have your army for Cities beyond a year.

Granted, we each could be rolled into another faction or new book elsewhere.

Time will tell.

Old World sort of showed us the future of each race.

Normal dwarfs will get pulled and stay in TOW as a major faction. Sucks, but at least Chaos Dwarfs are coming so that is 3 factions of Dwarfs in AoS

Dark Elves will most likely be getting their own faction in AoS. Lore wise they are already set up to break away from Cities and are not getting any support in TOW

• Like 1

One thing I think is worth bearing in mind is that GW has different ways of refreshing ranges and whether you would be happy for beasts of chaos to get each differing refresh. I say this as someone whose first complete AoS army was BoC (I started out with a small tzaangor based Tzeentch).

Take high elves. I think you can make a solid argument they got refreshed into Lumineth. They kept no models from the old high elves into Lumineth, but kept a lot of their themes and look. If you had a high elf army before, did you have a lumineth army afterwords? Kind of? Maybe? If you had silverhelms you could use them as dawnriders , if you had spearmen you could use them as wardens, same for archers and sentinels. You'd need to rebase though. Otherwise, phoenix guard? Maybe as the cow hat guys? That'd be about it. It did get better with later releases for bolt throwers and swordsmasters. 

If beasts of chaos were in a similar situation, would you be happy? I think I would, accepting that a fair amount of my models wouldn't have a perfect match, but the theme would be executed well and refined. High elves are generic, lumineth arguably less so.  If this happens then arguably beasts of chaos would leave AoS, but the Gribblescreech Hordes would still be there, continuing the Morghur story and the like. 

Another refresh approach would be like gloomspite gits, seraphon and soulblight. Take an army that has a good theme already but needs hefty up to date refreshing. The amount that remains behind can vary considerably, for the moon clan part of gloomspite more or less only the basic line infantry was untouched, and troll/ggs got hefty updates and spiderfang is there. For seraphon they lost a fairly significant set of models, but got more replacements. Soulblight I think mainly got old out of date models replaced, can't recall them losing much. 

If that happens then it would be hard to argue that beasts of chaos left AoS, the same way its hard to argue that Legions of Nagash left, just because they became soulblight. I think this is the least likely option, because beasts of chaos lacks a hook that isn't shared with something else. They are animal chaos people...like skaven. They want to cause the downfall of civilisation!....like destruction. I could see them being rebranded with more of the WEIRD chaos feel. Tzeentch does weird chaos, but I'd argue its a primarily magic weird and not the more primal weird. There is also less of a solid model range to lean on. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/wh3-soc-update-cathay/ 

So in somewhat TOW news, Cathay has access to moon-phoenixes, uncorrupted Manticores, and a freaking terracotta angel construct.... this will be a FUN army to play against I tell you what......

Those are beautiful! I love the Great Moon Bird in particular!

Maybe my Cities project will just happily sit in boxes for awhile longer, hahaha, those would make for such cool sculpts!

7 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

So in somewhat TOW news, Cathay has access to moon-phoenixes, uncorrupted Manticores, and a freaking terracotta angel construct.... this will be a FUN army to play against I tell you what......

Great to see TOW avoiding the high fantasy aesthetic of AOS that so many people on TOW Facebook seem to hate. Sensible, Grounded things like this are clearly the future

• Haha 9

10 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

CA: yo we REALLY NEED more designs for Cathay

GW: uhhh.... use this guy

Knight-Venator.webp.ac1ed85db2ee2ca7156d92019a17871d.webp

(i love both!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, CommissarRotke said:

are these Deathwatch?

Death company. essentially space marines who have lost their minds to war and damnation, forever haunted by visions of the last moments of their primarch's death. They are locked away in a tower on their home planet because they are feral, insane and only brought out to fight.

So the story about Ionus and his tower might be a bit of self plagiarism on GW's part

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Yeah, at least it’s a cool idea in concept and Stormcast can play with it more since they ground zero of new ideas & god powers that can expand instead of 40k’s stagnation and decline tones.

6 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

Holy cow, Stormcast that have been reforged once to many times? Gone war mad/hungry 

I mean if you’re gonna go out in a final blaze of glory might as well be as an avatar of war and storm made flesh.

(I prefer the Death Company comparison than Flagellant because that makes it look like they’re diving in naked rather than being suited up war masters that are the final stage for those whose souls couldn’t carry on in war’s eternal demands of dehumanization)

8 minutes ago, mawhis117 said:

Great to see TOW avoiding the high fantasy aesthetic of AOS that so many people on TOW Facebook seem to hate. Sensible, Grounded things like this are clearly the future

Yeah, Cathay looks a lot like AoS and has been pointed out before especially with the new floating “not metaliths” everywhere.

Personally just happy AoS & Cathay are working together to liberate warhammer from the old trope that only Chaos gets all the cool weird stuff. 😄

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Captaniser said:

Death company. essentially space marines who have lost their minds to war and damnation, forever haunted by visions of the last moments of their primarch's death. They are locked away in a tower on their home planet because they are feral, insane and only brought out to fight.

So the story about Ionus and his tower might be a bit of self plagiarism on GW's part

thank you! It makes sense. Reforging has been a big thread not pulled on for a while, to the point where most of us thought "Ruination" mean siege engines. Glad to at least finally know Ruination Chamber = "the ruination Reforging brings unto souls".

• Like 1

I don’t know why everyone is thinking beast of chaos will be squatted . Before FeC new range , FEC only received endless spell , faction terrain , one hero and one Underworld warband . And they are still in AoS with brand new miniatures .

if you look at BoC they are at exact same place FEC was before resculpt : they received endless spell ; terrain faction , one hero and one underworld warband . 

Why FeC stayed and received new mini and BoC won’t ? 

10 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Reforging has been a big thread not pulled on for a while

Well the darker cost side anyway.

We’ve delved into Reforging tons of times especially with the current tome having even new processes and experimentations for it like the Praetors who are souls that were forged together literally on the anvil.

That’s why they can absorb damage from their leader and it has an unsettling side effect that they start to take on the personality and even appearance of the stronger soul making them angelic doppelgängers.

Even Soulbound has a whole chart of Reforge flaws to play on.

F-7hgIQbMAAH8RR?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edit: Also the Path to Glory expanded on the Reforging focus with some cool things like if you restore a Shrine to Grungni he’ll personally work on your reforging which negates the side effects of the resurrection.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Grunbag said:

I don’t know why everyone is thinking beast of chaos will be squatted . Before FeC new range , FEC only received endless spell , faction terrain , one hero and one Underworld warband . And they are still in AoS with brand new miniatures .

if you look at BoC they are at exact same place FEC was before resculpt : they received endless spell ; terrain faction , one hero and one underworld warband . 

Why FeC stayed and received new mini and BoC won’t ? 

Because rumors approved by a serious rumor monger told us so. 

And about the FEC bit, maybe just because they always sold better than BoC 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Just now, Swamp Trogg said:

TOW also seems to have tipped the scales. it seems clear that they've made a decision for whatever reason to keep the two separate as far as possible, and TOW got BoC

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Swamp Trogg said:

Because rumors approved by a serious rumor monger told us so. 

I also think FEC are in a slightly different place tbh

They're part of (a third at best) of Vampire Counts; a faction that is otherwise sticking to AoS.

Beasts pretty much were a direct copy-paste of theirselves from Fantasy, especially when they re-lost marks in the second tome. Outside of the fact that Dragon Ogors lived in Azyr until chaos came back and Morghur is a god-thing and is corrupting the incarnates iirc there is nothing new for them. Real NPC status so far, and not a lot has been built on the foundations they've poured for them narratively: I was shook when we only got one Season of War and the plot threads were seemingly abandoned (like the spider)

FEC, though, got a complete narrative overhaul even if it wasn't initially reflected in the toys. They were also borderline NPC's but they kept getting interesting updates and lore hooks narratively. With Ushoran "existing! maybe trapped!" and then def existing and trapped and now he's entering the story in a big way, FEC are not going anywhere and have a few very interesting paths forward for how thy could continue to hit the narrative in important ways. Ushoran is back and making things happen.

I'd expected the same for Beasts and Morghur, but Beastmen are a whole faction in their own right. Moving them to TOW "just" means axing them from AoS. Putting "ghouls" in TOW means splitting them from Vampire Counts or putting the whole VC line in that game too. 

The two could have sold almost identically and I bet it wouldn't have changed a thing. TOW can "add" a classic faction by "simply" cutting it from AoS entirely. Nice and neat! 

So, like, what is going to happen with Morghur then? Like, is all that just done? Is the new Sylvaneth tome going to drop with "Alarielle smacked him to death in the spirit realm offscreen?"

Edited by Pizzaprez
typo triggered the curseworld filter; sorry
  • Like 4

Eh, I do get why they’re working this reforged death company/slayer/flagellant angle, it’s been in the works as even by the end of 1st ed the reforging flaws were introduced to make stormcast less boring.

But it really is very obvious angle to take and to my mind the whole “half-mad suicide troops seeking absolution in death” thing is maybe the most played out trope in GW’s IP. Maybe the execution will save it but eh.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Edit: Also the Path to Glory expanded on the Reforging focus with some cool things like if you restore a Shrine to Grungni he’ll personally work on your reforging which negates the side effects of the resurrection.

I saw the Soulbound stuff a couple years back, but is the PTG part from our 3e tome?