The Rumour Thread

Remember that Order doesn't mean "Good Guys". It's vaguer than that. It's more akin to "able and willing to build sustainable civilizations worth living in". The various Dark Elf things aren't nice, but thay aren't tearing down civilizations or corrupting the very earth just for the sake of it. Raiding, enslaving and rampant murder, sure. But you could, in theory, live in their society.

If people are expecting any points for these batallions, expect to be dissapointed. Will likely be like all other box-set batallions.

• Like 5

Is anyone really surprised it seems obvious that matched play is an afterthought and intended only for the leagues and tournaments not for pickup games like everybody jumped on using it for.

it seems pretty obvious that only the basic stuff and new models get points and the other battalions are meant for default play, you know the one everyone hates because "muh points"

To be honest though I fully expect a ton of complaining on the AOS Facebook group and then GW puts out points for them.  Similarly to how they were pressured into putting the Custodes and Sisters of Silence from Burning of Prospero into a formation so people didn't have to use Unbound in 40k.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Edited by wayniac

3 hours ago, wayniac said:

Is anyone really surprised it seems obvious that matched play is an afterthought and intended only for the leagues and tournaments not for pickup games like everybody jumped on using it for.

it seems pretty obvious that only the basic stuff and new models get points and the other battalions are meant for default play, you know the one everyone hates because "muh points"

To be honest though I fully expect a ton of complaining on the AOS Facebook group and then GW puts out points for them.  Similarly to how they were pressured into putting the Custodes and Sisters of Silence from Burning of Prospero into a formation so people didn't have to use Unbound in 40k.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I think you'll only see points for these if they are free battalions on the website and/or app.

If you don't bother with matched play restrictions (and just use points, for example), then you can use any of these. Stormcast one is probably the best.

Since the buff works on both Prime Time himself and on Pew Pew, that's a pretty good buff. The Skarr one is also decent if you make one of the units really big. 15 Wrathbros anyone? 

2 hours ago, chord said:

I think you'll only see points for these if they are free battalions on the website and/or app.

None of the start collecting boxes have them, correct?  Nor do the previous big boxed armies (e.g. King Vlagorescu's Host, Virulent Horde) so I don't see why these would either.  I mean, to be fair these are coming out post-General's Handbook while the others were IIRC before it was released, so there's a chance but it seems like GW wants Open Play to be the normal style and Matched Play should be specifically for events.

5 minutes ago, wayniac said:

None of the start collecting boxes have them, correct?  Nor do the previous big boxed armies (e.g. King Vlagorescu's Host, Virulent Horde) so I don't see why these would either.  I mean, to be fair these are coming out post-General's Handbook while the others were IIRC before it was released, so there's a chance but it seems like GW wants Open Play to be the normal style and Matched Play should be specifically for events.

Agreed,  although maybe all of these will have points in GHB v.2

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

By going "eh, 100/50/120/whatever points sounds fair, now lets get playing".

Might just be my meta/what I've seen, but that never happens.  Ever.  If it's not officially endorsed, it won't be used.  Nobody wants to just "wing it" even when there's little or no harm done.

I recommend trying it. Just go to whatever place you play, tell the guy "hey man, I want to try out this formation from the books. Doesn't have points, but I reckon about X is fair. You up for it?" I can't garantue it will work, but it very well might. Just like using battleplans outside the GHB. If you ask, a lot of people are up for it.

Just now, Darth Alec said:

I recommend trying it. Just go to whatever place you play, tell the guy "hey man, I want to try out this formation from the books. Doesn't have points, but I reckon about X is fair. You up for it?" I can't garantue it will work, but it very well might. Just like using battleplans outside the GHB. If you ask, a lot of people are up for it.

I did try when I first started with King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host.  Answer was, and every future time I asked, it's not in the GHB you can't use it in Matched Play, and since Matched Play is the default, that means can't use it at all.

Anyways we are drifting off topic :)

The Stormcast one requires Tempestors, which immediately makes me want to ignore it.

Try them before you write them off. I think they are a hidden gem in the Stormcast army. They are the only Dracoth Cavalry that actually function reliably as a unit of 2 models . This is entirely down to their automatic and doesn't even need to hit the target (like the Screaming Skull Catapult) -1 to hit debuff, which (a) is colossal - reducing the output of a 4+ to hit unit by a third (double what mystic shield does); and (b) stacks with the other unit of 2 Tempestors; and (c) stacks with any other -1 to hit debuffs that you might happen to have.

2 units of Fulminators can counter Kunning Rukk Arrer Boyz by having a 35/36 save. 2 Units of Tempestors can send them back to rolling to hit on sixes (including the Bellowing Shout or Broken Spirits Spell) and not exploding at all - save you about an hour of your life and it's an autowin for you. The only downside is that they are slightly out of range turn one.   

If you take 2 Fulminators, they will disappoint you so much - nothing is more reliable than 3+, 3+, -1 rend, 3 damage. Concussors are great, but very pricey.

Their Dracoth shooting attack is also very strong. 

That said, the buff from the new battatlion is good for the Dracoth (it does make Prime Time more reliable and he's normally very hard to buff since from memory he rocks up in the movement phase not the hero phase).

(I would warn that the Lightning Echelon battalion is very weak however, splitting the Fulminators into two units of 2 is a disaster and the charge through mechanic is incredibly hard to pull off because of the difficulty of getting over enemy bases.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nico said:

Try them before you write them off. I think they are a hidden gem in the Stormcast army. They are the only Dracoth Cavalry that actually function reliably as a unit of 2 models . This is entirely down to their automatic and doesn't even need to hit the target (like the Screaming Skull Catapult) -1 to hit debuff, which (a) is colossal - reducing the output of a 4+ to hit unit by a third (double what mystic shield does); and (b) stacks with the other unit of 2 Tempestors; and (c) stacks with any other -1 to hit debuffs that you might happen to have.

2 units of Fulminators can counter Kunning Rukk Arrer Boyz by having a 35/36 save. 2 Units of Tempestors can send them back to rolling to hit on sixes (including the Bellowing Shout or Broken Spirits Spell) and not exploding at all - save you about an hour of your life and it's an autowin for you. The only downside is that they are slightly out of range turn one.   

If you take 2 Fulminators, they will disappoint you so much - nothing is more reliable than 3+, 3+, -1 rend, 3 damage. Concussors are great, but very pricey.

Their Dracoth shooting attack is also very strong. 

That said, the buff from the new battatlion is good for the Dracoth (it does make Prime Time more reliable and he's normally very hard to buff since from memory he rocks up in the movement phase not the hero phase).

(I would warn that the Lightning Echelon battalion is very weak however, splitting the Fulminators into two units of 2 is a disaster and the charge through mechanic is incredibly hard to pull off because of the difficulty of getting over enemy bases.)

Eh... I suppose. You're still paying 80 more for essentially a squad of Crossbow Judicators with a better statwheel (and the Judicators are actually better shooting if they stand still), which makes me :\

I'm getting the box this weekend for the deal mainly. I currently have 2 Concussors and 2 Fulminators and was thinking of making the new ones into Fulminators just to run the 4 man killing squad, but maybe having another type could be good. 

Eh... I suppose. You're still paying 80 more for essentially a squad of Crossbow Judicators with a better statwheel (and the Judicators are actually better shooting if they stand still), which makes me :\

From memory, the Dracoths have 4 shots hitting on 3s, which do 2 mortal wounds if they hit from memory (admittedly only at point blank range - half that otherwise) as well as the Crossbows.

They also have 3+ saves rerolling ones and can potentially be in cover.

I cannot overemphasise how big a deal debuffs to hit are in the land of exploding attacks and mortal wounds etc.. This is why the Mourngul is so widely complained about.

If you've already got 2 Fulminators then buff them up to 4 would be my suggestion and run them as a 4! Frankly a LCoD is a good alternative to a unit of 2 Knights (other than the Tempestors), since he has comparable damage output and the lethal shield mechanic (and you might have an artefact to spare). I've considered using two of my Fulminators as LCoDs (with conversions back to the good hammer).