AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

1 hour ago, CeleFAZE said:

If you don't mind my asking, what is the list usually comprised of? I've tried doing the same thing but I've generally found it surprisingly weak.

I've found a good base is a mix of these models:

Chaos Lord (for the double pile in)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (for the spell and rr saves)

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (actually surprisingly good in combat with rerolls from the fane ; either with Dimensional Blade on axe, Pendant of Slaanesh, or Ethereal Amulet) 

As for troops, I tend to go with min battleline (usually Hellstriders), but I've found Chosen pretty excellent thanks to the 6s being mortal wounds and extra attacks, especially when rerolling 1s to hit (or rerolling all with spell). I've not seen anyone talk about them so I don't know if I'm missing something, but they put out a tonne of damage and soak it up pretty well. 

I tried using Marauders, but they've not been fantastic for me - they crumble too easily in my opinion. That said, I've not tried getting any first turn charge shenanigans with them so maybe they'd be better then.

The biggest struggle is bodies for objectives, but that's where summoning shines. 

2 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (actually surprisingly good in combat with rerolls from the fane ; either with Dimensional Blade on axe, Pendant of Slaanesh, or Ethereal Amulet) 

As for troops, I tend to go with min battleline (usually Hellstriders), but I've found Chosen pretty excellent thanks to the 6s being mortal wounds and extra attacks, especially when rerolling 1s to hit (or rerolling all with spell). I've not seen anyone talk about them so I don't know if I'm missing something, but they put out a tonne of damage and soak it up pretty well. 

I tried using Marauders, but they've not been fantastic for me - they crumble too easily in my opinion. That said, I've not tried getting any first turn charge shenanigans with them so maybe they'd be better then.

The biggest struggle is bodies for objectives, but that's where summoning shines. 

All good points, I completely agree that Chosen are great. I think most people avoid them because of the old and terrible models: conversion time!

The War-shire is also great if your fielding a lot of mortals, Don't forget that even a marked one can use any of the Prays.  So 3+ to give any mortal unit re-roll hit and wounds! Tempted to try a 10 model unit of hellstriders with it, once Soul hunters kick it their damage output gets crazy (for a 200 point unit).

If your that way inclined the Syll Host battalion is also solid (makes the prays work on 2+). 

44 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

All good points, I completely agree that Chosen are great. I think most people avoid them because of the old and terrible models: conversion time!

The War-shire is also great if your fielding a lot of mortals, Don't forget that even a marked one can use any of the Prays.  So 3+ to give any mortal unit re-roll hit and wounds! Tempted to try a 10 model unit of hellstriders with it, once Soul hunters kick it their damage output gets crazy (for a 200 point unit).

If your that way inclined the Syll Host battalion is also solid (makes the prays work on 2+). 

You can't use the shrine on Hellstriders. 

20 hours ago, Enoby said:

Do you use multiples of those heroes, or any additions for utility, like the epitome?

Have you also tried chaos warriors or knights?  I feel like comparatively hellstriders miss out on a lot of buffs and command abilities since they're all locked to the slaves to darkness keyword, but they're still probably objectively better than the same points of warriors or knights (who even with warshrine support underperformed for me), so I'm a bit torn.

8 minutes ago, CeleFAZE said:

Do you use multiples of those heroes, or any additions for utility, like the epitome?

Have you also tried chaos warriors or knights?  I feel like comparatively hellstriders miss out on a lot of buffs and command abilities since they're all locked to the slaves to darkness keyword, but they're still probably objectively better than the same points of warriors or knights (who even with warshrine support underperformed for me), so I'm a bit torn.

The epitome is good, certainly for getting any clutch endless spells off (like Cogs or the Spell portals) and it's double locus, so it's worth the addition.  

I've used both; warriors are tanky in big units but their lack of rend kind of sucks - they don't really have a punch and because they're so expensive they end up feeling like overpriced objective holders. I've tried to make knights work because I love the models, but the lances just kinda suck (hitting on 4s and only two attacks) and the ensorcelled weapons kind of feel like worse chosen weapons. That said, giving it some thought, maybe they could occupy the role of tankier and faster chosen (though a bit more expensive and a bit less damage). That said, chosen work best in 10s and knights don't really fit around one another. 

As for multiple heroes, I might use two on-foot chaos lords and two sorcerers just to follow my important units around and give save buffs and double pile ins. That said, I have found that it's super difficult for the sorcerer to get their spell off.

However, with the new rules released, maybe we can see some use for mauraders? With the invaders host new trait, we can teleport them without any spells needed, and I think you can bunch up 40 within 6". If we get the cogs off (with the epitome), then they're guaranteed the charge. Might also be okay with our other less quick (as in, can't first turn charge) units like chariots. Definitely worth considering. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

The epitome is good, certainly for getting any clutch endless spells off (like Cogs or the Spell portals) and it's double locus, so it's worth the addition.  

I've used both; warriors are tanky in big units but their lack of rend kind of sucks - they don't really have a punch and because they're so expensive they end up feeling like overpriced objective holders. I've tried to make knights work because I love the models, but the lances just kinda suck (hitting on 4s and only two attacks) and the ensorcelled weapons kind of feel like worse chosen weapons. That said, giving it some thought, maybe they could occupy the role of tankier and faster chosen (though a bit more expensive and a bit less damage). That said, chosen work best in 10s and knights don't really fit around one another. 

As for multiple heroes, I might use two on-foot chaos lords and two sorcerers just to follow my important units around and give save buffs and double pile ins. That said, I have found that it's super difficult for the sorcerer to get their spell off.

However, with the new rules released, maybe we can see some use for mauraders? With the invaders host new trait, we can teleport them without any spells needed, and I think you can bunch up 40 within 6". If we get the cogs off (with the epitome), then they're guaranteed the charge. Might also be okay with our other less quick (as in, can't first turn charge) units like chariots. Definitely worth considering. 

I've been thinking, as generally a godseekers player, that the new subfaction's ability could be utilized best with marauders, since by the wording they change a die in the roll, rather than applying their own modifier. The problem then is that both units need to be at least 10 models which kinda runs counter to what godseekers wants to field. Maybe we couple it with a "buddy system" of marauders and a big block of daemonettes or chaos warriors. Hopefully they have another ability too, as what we've seen so far seems to only further entrench Invaders and Syll'Eske as the best hosts.

15 hours ago, Xasto said:

So, have you guys checked out the new optional subfactions for Slaanesh, if so, any thoughts on em' ? I think the invaders one has a great ability

I've not looked at the entire things, but from the previews I agree about invaders - there's a lot of potential in our slower units and for them to become viable in a first turn charge list.

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I've not looked at the entire things, but from the previews I agree about invaders - there's a lot of potential in our slower units and for them to become viable in a first turn charge list.

Combos amazingly with Marauders. 20 or 40, deploy as a screen in front of your army, then depending on how your opponent deploys either leave them there or pull them off the board for first turn guaranteed charge.

Also great for protecting keepers from first turn shooting. 

34 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Combos amazingly with Marauders. 20 or 40, deploy as a screen in front of your army, then depending on how your opponent deploys either leave them there or pull them off the board for first turn guaranteed charge.

Also great for protecting keepers from first turn shooting. 

Yeah, they can act as a very annoying giant screen - especially if using Syllesske to keep them immune to battleshock. 

With the cogs up, it does allow fiends and chariots to have more use - making up for the fact they don't tend to make first turn charges. 

Maybe even some use for chaos warriors? They are a very expensive screen, but the 4+ rerolling will keep most things stuck for a turn. That said, I think marauders are  better.

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, they can act as a very annoying giant screen - especially if using Syllesske to keep them immune to battleshock. 

With the cogs up, it does allow fiends and chariots to have more use - making up for the fact they don't tend to make first turn charges. 

Maybe even some use for chaos warriors? They are a very expensive screen, but the 4+ rerolling will keep most things stuck for a turn. That said, I think marauders are  better.

I think the deciding factor is rend and our bonus exploding hits when at 20 or more models. This ability lets you get all of the optimal offensive use out of your marauders, before they've had a chance to take any casualties and revert to being only slightly worse offensively than chaos warriors.

Having a look at the new abilities, the Invaders host seems pretty good - a pretty rubbish artefact (+1 wound), but we can just fane that. The teleport is very nice, but the command ability is +1 save in the combat phase (2+ save Archaon, Daemon Prince, or Karkadrak might be nice, or even just a 3+ save keeper or tanky unit). You get to reroll run rolls for models wholly within 12" as the command trait, which isn't amazing, but it can be nice if we need to get somewhere or want to run and charge. 

I'm not familiar with the rules for these sorts of things, but when you're forced to take an artefact do you have to only take that artefact, or can you take others after you've  taken that one (for example, if you had a battalion - the first arefact must be the forced one, but is the next one free?)

On 2/5/2020 at 3:09 AM, CeleFAZE said:

Has anyone tried the demonsteel contingent? I'm considering picking up a second soulgrinder and giving that a go.

I ran Daemonsteel Contingent at Cancon (I spoilered my list below for those who are curious), and didn't have too much experience with it prior to the tournament (only 3 games, and none of them were against meta lists) but I managed to go 4-2 with my two losses both being super close. Every opponent I've faced with them agreed that Daemonsteel Soul Grinders are super strong for their points, and my personal reflection is that being in Syll'Esskan Host means if you can get the rest of your list right then you aren't too worried about the 'Grinders not generating depravity points. 740 points total for 3 big monsters who literally tick all but one box (no depravity generation) - they're fast, good shooting, good range (forces people into bad situations/mistakes), good melee, don't degrade too harshly, super tough, big base for blocking/forcing people to go into them for objective capturing - is an absolute steal. They don't get much love buff-wise from anything in particular (i.e. there's no way to make them double pile-in), but I found that Acquiescence/Overwhelming Acquiescence were useful to give them re-roll 1s to-hit for both shooting and melee, and Syll'Esske pairs well with them for the re-roll 1s to-hit bubble in melee specifically if I failed to cast either form of Acquiescence.

Despite how reliable their attacks are (I went Daemonbone Talon for the guaranteed 4 attacks at 2+ to-hit over the Warpmetal Blade) with everything hitting on 3+ at worst, I found they can actually be quite swingy - particularly with the single attack shooting weapon and melee weapon. In one game, my Grinders kept rolling 6s to-hit on the big metal claw and doing D6 mortal wounds plus a regular hit (yay bonus hits for Slaanesh!) which helped win me the game against a strong Thunderquake list; without those 6s on the claw, I very likely wouldn't have killed my opponents' Ethereal Engine of the Gods and lost the game on points in Three Places of Power. In another game, I failed something crazy like 9/12 shots with the Phlegm Bombardment simply by fluffing the hit roll without any modifiers involved; when those shots hit, they really bloody count at -2 Rend and 3 Damage a pop, so missing so many of them really hurt. Overall though they are very self-sufficient and if you roll average to well you'll absolutely be pumping out wounds with them.

The only real concern I have with running them is that there's no way to heal them outside of running an Endless Lifeswarm (they don't benefit from either Slaanesh healing spell) so you do have to be mindful of how you use them; they are cheap and should very much be treated as sacrificial for the purposes of keeping your characters alive so you can keep the summon-chain going, but losing one still hurts. I would also say I'm certain the list I ran is not the strongest list to run Daemonsteel Contingent in, but I was working with what I had (I have most of the Daemon options but not so much the mortal) and also aiming for the +D3 command points for the even daemon/mortal split. If I wanted to improve it, I think I'd either drop a Soul Grinder and try and fit another Keeper in, or forgo Keepers entirely and focus on other heroes like the Sorcerer Lord on Manticore. Even alone, that one Keeper with the Cloak was an absolute terror in every game, but difficult to say if I can really afford to run it alongside three Soul Grinders and all the other stuff one needs for Syll'Esskan Host summoning shenanigans.

Spoiler

Syll'Esskan Host
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Syll'Esske - General, Spell: Born of Damnation - 200
Keeper of Secrets - Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak, Spell: Progeny of Damnation, Sinistrous Hand - 360
Contorted Epitome - Artefact: Sword of Judgement, Spell: Hysterical Frenzy - 200
Chaos Lord - 110
Exalted Hero of Chaos - 90

Hellstriders (5) - Hellscourges - 100

Soul Grinder - 210
Soul Grinder - 210
Soul Grinder - 210

Daemonsteel Contingent - 110

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:28 AM, Enoby said:

I'm not familiar with the rules for these sorts of things, but when you're forced to take an artefact do you have to only take that artefact, or can you take others after you've  taken that one (for example, if you had a battalion - the first arefact must be the forced one, but is the next one free?)

You can take others after you've taken that one. Treat the forced artefact/command trait as a "tax" to unlock the special abilities of the sub-faction, but after that you're free to do what you wish.

My major concern with that Invaders sub-host is that you lose out on part of the command point farm (Glory Hog) and your artefact slots are generally highly valuable, so being forced to waste one on +1 wound is a hard pill to swallow because you probably should also be taking the Rod of Misrule as your second. I do like the ability and command ability, though, especially the synergy both have with Marauders. If you can manage to ambush them alongside a Sorcerer Lord, you can give them re-roll saves as well and suddenly your scary ambushing blob is also extremely difficult to kill, especially if you manage to cast Daemonic Power on them too. It seems purpose designed with Slaves and their re-roll saves abilities in mind, but it also really helps out things like Shalaxi (2+ re-rollable save when fighting heroes!), 6-strong Fiends, Archaon, etc. The ambush also helps you protect vulnerable units/characters from alpha strikes which is going to be critical as Tzeentch/Kharadrons become more popular. I'll certainly give the list a spin but I see it forcing you to build around it; I don't think a typical three Keeper Invaders list gets much out of it, for instance.

What do you think of the list with Syll'esske and Archaon?
I think this is the most competitive thing today.
Any opinions on this list?
I just have a doubt about the warshrine .. Maybe an exalted chariot instead?

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Syll'Esskan Host

Leaders
Syll'Esske, the Vengeful Allegiance (200)
- General
Archaon the Everchosen (800)
- Lore of Slaanesh: Hysterical Frenzy
Keeper of Secrets (360)
- Sinistrous Hand

Battleline
5 x Hellstriders with Claw-spears (100)

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Seeker Cavalcade (140)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 85

22 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

What do you think of the list with Syll'esske and Archaon?
I think this is the most competitive thing today.
Any opinions on this list?
I just have a doubt about the warshrine .. Maybe an exalted chariot instead?

Leaders
- General
Keeper of Secrets (360)
- Sinistrous Hand

Battleline

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Seeker Cavalcade (140)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 85

The problem with the warshrine is that aside from itself Archaon is the only model in your list that benefits from its effect, as its locked to mortal slaves to darkness units, not just mortal like it used to be. You'll get the same effect with a chaos sorc for fewer points in this list.

Edited by CeleFAZE
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, Jaskier said:

I ran Daemonsteel Contingent at Cancon (I spoilered my list below for those who are curious), and didn't have too much experience with it prior to the tournament (only 3 games, and none of them were against meta lists) but I managed to go 4-2 with my two losses both being super close. Every opponent I've faced with them agreed that Daemonsteel Soul Grinders are super strong for their points, and my personal reflection is that being in Syll'Esskan Host means if you can get the rest of your list right then you aren't too worried about the 'Grinders not generating depravity points. 740 points total for 3 big monsters who literally tick all but one box (no depravity generation) - they're fast, good shooting, good range (forces people into bad situations/mistakes), good melee, don't degrade too harshly, super tough, big base for blocking/forcing people to go into them for objective capturing - is an absolute steal. They don't get much love buff-wise from anything in particular (i.e. there's no way to make them double pile-in), but I found that Acquiescence/Overwhelming Acquiescence were useful to give them re-roll 1s to-hit for both shooting and melee, and Syll'Esske pairs well with them for the re-roll 1s to-hit bubble in melee specifically if I failed to cast either form of Acquiescence.

Despite how reliable their attacks are (I went Daemonbone Talon for the guaranteed 4 attacks at 2+ to-hit over the Warpmetal Blade) with everything hitting on 3+ at worst, I found they can actually be quite swingy - particularly with the single attack shooting weapon and melee weapon. In one game, my Grinders kept rolling 6s to-hit on the big metal claw and doing D6 mortal wounds plus a regular hit (yay bonus hits for Slaanesh!) which helped win me the game against a strong Thunderquake list; without those 6s on the claw, I very likely wouldn't have killed my opponents' Ethereal Engine of the Gods and lost the game on points in Three Places of Power. In another game, I failed something crazy like 9/12 shots with the Phlegm Bombardment simply by fluffing the hit roll without any modifiers involved; when those shots hit, they really bloody count at -2 Rend and 3 Damage a pop, so missing so many of them really hurt. Overall though they are very self-sufficient and if you roll average to well you'll absolutely be pumping out wounds with them.

The only real concern I have with running them is that there's no way to heal them outside of running an Endless Lifeswarm (they don't benefit from either Slaanesh healing spell) so you do have to be mindful of how you use them; they are cheap and should very much be treated as sacrificial for the purposes of keeping your characters alive so you can keep the summon-chain going, but losing one still hurts. I would also say I'm certain the list I ran is not the strongest list to run Daemonsteel Contingent in, but I was working with what I had (I have most of the Daemon options but not so much the mortal) and also aiming for the +D3 command points for the even daemon/mortal split. If I wanted to improve it, I think I'd either drop a Soul Grinder and try and fit another Keeper in, or forgo Keepers entirely and focus on other heroes like the Sorcerer Lord on Manticore. Even alone, that one Keeper with the Cloak was an absolute terror in every game, but difficult to say if I can really afford to run it alongside three Soul Grinders and all the other stuff one needs for Syll'Esskan Host summoning shenanigans.

Hide contents

Syll'Esskan Host
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Syll'Esske - General, Spell: Born of Damnation - 200
Keeper of Secrets - Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak, Spell: Progeny of Damnation, Sinistrous Hand - 360
Contorted Epitome - Artefact: Sword of Judgement, Spell: Hysterical Frenzy - 200
Chaos Lord - 110
Exalted Hero of Chaos - 90

Soul Grinder - 210
Soul Grinder - 210
Soul Grinder - 210

Daemonsteel Contingent - 110

I may need to start running something close to this. My biggest issue at the moment is forgetting abilities during specific phases, and this seems more straightforward.

So...after this 2 days of tournament (Gods of War, Italy; anyone can find it on AosShorts) I can say farewell to HoS.

2 wins and 3 losses for me:

1) vs Changehost (major loss)
2) vs Mawtribes (minor win)
3) vs LoN (major win)
4) vs Ossi-fex (major loss)
5) vs Ossi-fex (major loss)

I'm not complaining about Petrifex, because both of the matches were lost through stupid things, so they are beatable despite everything.
I think pure hedonites lists are out of meta, they have so many bad match ups...I really think that army deserve a break for now.

I got some rule question i cannot find the answer anywhere. Recently started to play AoS with a box of Wrath and Rapture, and i converted my fiends with some daemonettes bits to be Daemon Princes. Now im playing with the sword more of the time because my friend is starting a Nighthaunt collection and he ignores rend, so y find more useful to fish for 6 and do mortal wounds. I got my eye in the pretender command trait Strength of Godhood, wich allow to add 1d3 damage to a successful atack in the step 4 of the atack sequence.

So here is mi problem. Can a hit  with a roll of 6 that turns into 2 mortal wounds and end the atack sequence benefit from Stregth of Godhood? I notice Keeper of Secrets got a similar rule when they wound on a 6, making the atack sequence ends too. Does they loose the chance to use it too? It may seem obvious, but i found it counterintuitive, and im not sure if the rule launch you forward to step 4 of the atack sequence and allow the trait to apply, or actually negate the atack sequence acting like an ability and making the two things unable to interact with each other.

As an extra i leave some pics of my conversion, im kind of an artist specialized in fantasy designs with some erotica, so i really like the base of the new fiends (and wish the range to return for a more "Diaznette" style in the future) and inmediatly knew i wanted to turn them into  some kind of Daemon Princess. I actually designed a similar character for Black Library last summer, but my story about a slaanesh warband was rejected, will leave her concept art over here so you see the similarities with the final model i converted.

20200131_142703.jpg

20200131_142725.jpg

20200202_150828.jpg

Savoesa.png

On 2/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, CeleFAZE said:

The problem with the warshrine is that aside from itself Archaon is the only model in your list that benefits from its effect, as its locked to mortal slaves to darkness units, not just mortal like it used to be. You'll get the same effect with a chaos sorc for fewer points in this list.

Thank you!

That better!

Leaders
- General
- Lore of Slaanesh: Born of Damnation
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Battle Rapture
Keeper of Secrets (360)
- Sinistrous Hand
- Spell: Progeny of Damnation

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
- Axes & Shields

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 108

10 hours ago, Yoid said:

I got some rule question i cannot find the answer anywhere. Recently started to play AoS with a box of Wrath and Rapture, and i converted my fiends with some daemonettes bits to be Daemon Princes. Now im playing with the sword more of the time because my friend is starting a Nighthaunt collection and he ignores rend, so y find more useful to fish for 6 and do mortal wounds. I got my eye in the pretender command trait Strength of Godhood, wich allow to add 1d3 damage to a successful atack in the step 4 of the atack sequence.

So here is mi problem. Can a hit  with a roll of 6 that turns into 2 mortal wounds and end the atack sequence benefit from Stregth of Godhood? I notice Keeper of Secrets got a similar rule when they wound on a 6, making the atack sequence ends too. Does they loose the chance to use it too? It may seem obvious, but i found it counterintuitive, and im not sure if the rule launch you forward to step 4 of the atack sequence and allow the trait to apply, or actually negate the atack sequence acting like an ability and making the two things unable to interact with each other.

I Had the same question. Apparently this is answered in the core rules (FAQ) which ist why they felt no need to explain it in the StD FAQ.

The effect triggers only in the "original" Attack/throw, the additional Hit does not count as a 6 and is treated differently. 

So a 6 generates 2 Hits, one of which ist 2MW ( no more wound Roll) while the other one gets a to wound as usual.

Still feel the wording suggest an either/or scenario, but this Interpretation seems to be fair so who am i to complain.

13 hours ago, Koala said:

I Had the same question. Apparently this is answered in the core rules (FAQ) which ist why they felt no need to explain it in the StD FAQ.

The effect triggers only in the "original" Attack/throw, the additional Hit does not count as a 6 and is treated differently. 

So a 6 generates 2 Hits, one of which ist 2MW ( no more wound Roll) while the other one gets a to wound as usual.

Still feel the wording suggest an either/or scenario, but this Interpretation seems to be fair so who am i to complain.

I think you are talking about slaanesh exploding 6s and not about Strength of Godhood, correct me if im worng. Yes, the extra hit is a normal hit that goes to "to wound" rolls, but lets say it fail to wound. Can you proc Strength of Godhood from the mortal wounds inflicted by the non-extra hit? Same doubt for the 6s to wound in the keeper of secrets.