5kaven5lave

6 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

*snip*

Rat Swarms (55)

Rat Swarms (55)

Cool list!

What's the thoughts behind the Rat Swarms? I really wanted them to get a rules revamp in the new book, to add another unit type to my lists - but at the moment they don't feel like they do anything that's not done by Giant Rats.

I was hoping they'd get some rule like "enemy units cannot end a normal move within 6" of this model", something to represent a real swarm and give some area control.

34 minutes ago, Ahriman said:

Cool list!

What's the thoughts behind the Rat Swarms? I really wanted them to get a rules revamp in the new book, to add another unit type to my lists - but at the moment they don't feel like they do anything that's not done by Giant Rats.

I was hoping they'd get some rule like "enemy units cannot end a normal move within 6" of this model", something to represent a real swarm and give some area control.

Well…

they are cheaper then giant rats

42 minutes ago, Ahriman said:

Cool list!

More thematic than anything, they are a pretty good tar pit for other players chaff though. My friends hate them so they must be decent 😛

7 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well…

they are cheaper then giant rats

I'm sure those 5 spare points often go a long way!

Maybe their resummon ability triggers a lot more than I expect it to, but in my mind it doesn't take much to deal 8 wounds to them and wipe out the unit.

And, for how I use mine (as a screen), the wider footprint of the Giant Rats just feels too useful.

But I did go mad and buy about 20 bases worth of the Cursed City Rat Swarms, so I'd happily find them a place!

47 minutes ago, Ahriman said:

Maybe their resummon ability triggers a lot more than I expect it to, but in my mind it doesn't take much to deal 8 wounds to them and wipe out the unit.

And, for how I use mine (as a screen), the wider footprint of the Giant Rats just feels too useful.

But I did go mad and buy about 20 bases worth of the Cursed City Rat Swarms, so I'd happily find them a place!

For my games the other players mindset has been, I can wipe out 8 wounds easily with (insert super strong dude here) but do I really wanna waste a round of combat doing so.

13 hours ago, Ahriman said:

Personally I think it comes down to what role it has to play.

if you want to use giant rats as a small objective grabber, a small screen that can blokc incoming enemy units, I really think that they are somewhat better then rat swarms.

rat swarms are basically for the price tag just slightly more survivable, although loosing some of  their mobility (which is only 6) and less models means less space taken, so they might not be so great as a screen.

I personally think that giant rats are probably at least currently the better choice since they can screen somewhat better.

yet having a small u it of regenerating rat at whom the enemy might meed to do more then some cheap damage can be worth.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

If a Verminous hero uses heroic action to gain a command Trait but he is not your General would he not be able to use the ones that say General? Or can he not even do the heroic action unless he is the General?

I dont play Skaven but this question came up and could not find an answer 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Voltek said:

If a Verminous hero uses heroic action to gain a command Trait but he is not your General would he not be able to use the ones that say General? Or can he not even do the heroic action unless he is the General?

I dont play Skaven but this question came up and could not find an answer 

Thanks

Since there is no faq clarifying, I guess so.

but that is probably more of a mistake, considering that the book feels hastily done (in other words badly written) it seems possible that they forgot to add a rule like that this clalword is considered to be the general for the purpose of this command trait.

personally this would just feel wrong, I would write an email to gw asking the faq team, but considering they haven’t answered my question on the redmaw plague the last 4times  I have little to no hope 

Ps: unless you’re taking part at a tournament I would just play it as yoy would think it was intended of course with the consent of your opponent.

if he doesn’t accept it, play the rattling gun exploid against him.

after that he will never disagree with you on intended  functions

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Hey !

How do you read the Always Three Clawsteps ahead rule ?

1 - After my first run/charge roll, I can decide that this will be my roll for thé whole phase and doesn’t roll any more dice

2 - BEFORE each run/charge roll, I can decide to use instead my first roll of the phase

3 - AFTER each run/charge roll, I can decide to replace it with my first roll of the phase

1 hour ago, LeGrandRouin said:

Hey !

How do you read the Always Three Clawsteps ahead rule ?

1 - After my first run/charge roll, I can decide that this will be my roll for thé whole phase and doesn’t roll any more dice

2 - BEFORE each run/charge roll, I can decide to use instead my first roll of the phase

3 - AFTER each run/charge roll, I can decide to replace it with my first roll of the phase

The second one as you can still choose to not use the first roll for your whole army.

Just sent my list for a little turnament next week

30 MW per turn, here we go, I just don’t know if it will be for Mé or my opponent

Allegiance: Skaven
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Warpstone Weaponmasters
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (155)*
- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator  
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield
Arch-Warlock (155)*
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
Warlock Engineer (105)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
Grey Seer (125)**
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic  
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Grey Seer (125)**
Grey Seer (125)**
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
- Lore of Ruin: Scorch

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (100)***
- Rusty Blade
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Standard Bell Ringers
20 x Clanrats (100)***
- Rusty Blade
- 1x Standard Bearers
10 x Skryre Acolytes (150)***
- Reinforced x 1

Units
1 x Doomwheel (165)
1 x Doomwheel (165)
1 x Doomwheel (165)

Artillery
Warp Lightning Cannon (150)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Warp Lightning Vortex (80)
Umbral Spellportal (80)
Malevolent Maelstrom (50)

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Command Entourage - Magnificent
***Expert Conquerors

Additional Enhancements
Spell
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114
Drops: 13

Edited by LeGrandRouin
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 7:08 AM, LeGrandRouin said:

Just sent my list for a little turnament next week

30 MW per turn, here we go, I just don’t know if it will be for Mé or my opponent

Allegiance: Skaven
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Warpstone Weaponmasters
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (155)*
- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator  
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield
Arch-Warlock (155)*
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning
Warlock Engineer (105)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
Grey Seer (125)**
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic  
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
Grey Seer (125)**
Grey Seer (125)**
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
- Lore of Ruin: Scorch

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (100)***
- Rusty Blade
- 1x Standard Bearers
20 x Clanrats (100)***
- Rusty Blade
- 1x Standard Bearers
10 x Skryre Acolytes (150)***
- Reinforced x 1

Units
1 x Doomwheel (165)
1 x Doomwheel (165)
1 x Doomwheel (165)

Artillery
Warp Lightning Cannon (150)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Warp Lightning Vortex (80)
Umbral Spellportal (80)
Malevolent Maelstrom (50)

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Command Entourage - Magnificent
***Expert Conquerors

Additional Enhancements
Spell
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114
Drops: 13

I like it, I've actually got a list very similar, that I am yet to play with. 

I opted for a Warp seer instead of the extra 2 greyseers, to still get the extra pile in for the doomwheels. I know he isn't absolutely fantastic at his points, but if you give him master of magic, being able to reroll for dreaded warpgale is still very strong for mortal wound output and slowing the enemy, and it has a decent reach. The bravery 10 bubble isn't horrible either, even if it is significantly worse than it was last book. 

Not sure where you cut things, but I think it could potentially give you an extra threat and reliable mortal wound output. Something to consider anyway. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

I like it, I've actually got a list very similar, that I am yet to play with. 

I opted for a Warp seer instead of the extra 2 greyseers, to still get the extra pile in for the doomwheels. I know he isn't absolutely fantastic at his points, but if you give him master of magic, being able to reroll for dreaded warpgale is still very strong for mortal wound output and slowing the enemy, and it has a decent reach. The bravery 10 bubble isn't horrible either, even if it is significantly worse than it was last book. 

Not sure where you cut things, but I think it could potentially give you an extra threat and reliable mortal wound output. Something to consider anyway. 

I also tried the Warpseer 2/3 times, he’s still a solid pick with his access to monstrous rampage, his good save/ward and his bravery bubble (that helps heroic recovery a lot)

But his lack of Grey Seer spell lore really bothers me, and the fact that he doesn’t have any cast bonus

Maybe you’ll do better than me with him ^^

I just got first place with this list (3-0), really cheesy and unpredictable

Next turnament in two weeks and I plan to fit a screaming Bell as my general, as it is both a really good anvil (that lacked on my list) and an extremely good spellcaster (especially with arcane tome + MoM)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schwabbele said:

Hey, qq - is the battleforce a good blind buy for the eventual situation i want to start skaven? 

Well it is a good box.

if your interested in playing exactly the units in the box, then I would say yes.

although there is one small thing.

If you don’t necessarily  want the screaming bell in your army I would suggest to you to build it as aplague furnace.

Unless you really like the look of the screaming bell, I would just not ever until it gets a new warscroll to be used at all

• Thanks 1

Anyone try running tons of MSU Acolytes?  Wondering if that could have some play.  Something like:

Arch Warlock

Bombadier

Warlock Engineer

Verminlord Warpseer

4x5 Acolytes (3 battlelines, minimizing Galletian Vets effects)

4x10 Acolytes

2 Warpfire Thrower teams

1 Doomwheel or 1 Lightning Cannon

Vermintide because it's super annoying for the enemy.

Guess it's hard to argue against Stormfiends, but to make Acolytes work (I just want them to work!) seems like this sort of thing might best for them?  I read somewhere someone was doing well with some sort of Acolyte spam army but I couldn't find the armylist.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Anyone try running tons of MSU Acolytes?  Wondering if that could have some play.  Something like:

Arch Warlock

Bombadier

Warlock Engineer

Verminlord Warpseer

4x5 Acolytes (3 battlelines, minimizing Galletian Vets effects)

4x10 Acolytes

2 Warpfire Thrower teams

1 Doomwheel or 1 Lightning Cannon

Vermintide because it's super annoying for the enemy.

Guess it's hard to argue against Stormfiends, but to make Acolytes work (I just want them to work!) seems like this sort of thing might best for them?  I read somewhere someone was doing well with some sort of Acolyte spam army but I couldn't find the armylist.  

Throw out the verminlord, he has no role in your army, and take more acolytes.

as long as your not playing against teclis, this list might be able to do something

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

SOLD!  But why is Teclis a severe threat to this army, besides just being the god of magic himself?

Well he has a spell, where he can basically do d3-d6 mortal wounds to every unit within 18 inches of him.

If the teclis player uses him correctly.

just teclis himself could be able to kill every single unit in your army with a single double turn

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well he has a spell, where he can basically do d3-d6 mortal wounds to every unit within 18 inches of him.

If the teclis player uses him correctly.

just teclis himself could be able to kill every single unit in your army with a single double turn

That would be a quick game.  Does the Horned Rat provide anything like the Brazen Rune or 3Blood Tithe point effect that Khorne gets?!

I don't have the tome or any of the army yet, but I have a bunch of bits for the Acolyte conversions, so I feel it needs to be made.  This will correct my past mistakes of buying, and selling off, my ratmen twice in the past.  

11 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

That would be a quick game.  Does the Horned Rat provide anything like the Brazen Rune or 3Blood Tithe point effect that Khorne gets?!

I don't have the tome or any of the army yet, but I have a bunch of bits for the Acolyte conversions, so I feel it needs to be made.  This will correct my past mistakes of buying, and selling off, my ratmen twice in the past.  

You have bless, on a single unit via a plague priest

Looks like Gnawholes are improved.  I'm a bit confused on them however, it says you can teleport 1 unit per feature...does that mean up to 3 units per feature because the feature "can include 3 terrain features instead" ?

Then one could chuck lightning cannons across the table for better firing lines....and unload on Teclis!

I'm also liking the Doombell for the anti-battleshock....until/unless it explodes that is.💥

8 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Looks like Gnawholes are improved.  I'm a bit confused on them however, it says you can teleport 1 unit per feature...does that mean up to 3 units per feature because the feature "can include 3 terrain features instead" ?

Then one could chuck lightning cannons across the table for better firing lines....and unload on Teclis!

I'm also liking the Doombell for the anti-battleshock....until/unless it explodes that is.💥

Can't beat unloading on Teclis