5kaven5lave

6 hours ago, Enkyridion said:

Fellow Commanders, I've been trying to find the rule that prevents me to cast a WLV through the Spell Portal, can someone show me the light on this?  

As far as I understand it, the reason you can’t cast an Endless spell through the portal, is that it still has a range restriction on “set up”. Like, it does not matter that the spell has a 18”longer range, if the endless spell still needs to be set up within 13” of the caster once succesfully cast.

I could only find this in the FAQ (and it's from the 2018 Malign Sorcery, so not even sure it's valid anymore?)

age_of_sigmar_malign_sorcery_errata_en.pdf (warhammer-community.com)

Umbral Portal FAQ.JPG

So looks like you could set up Vermintide, then move the Vermintide through the portal, and they could chew on someone on the other side?  That's interesting!  Could save the Gnawhole action for something else.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

Stormfiend questions: the assembly instructions say the Doomflayer is the big spikey ball fists.  Is that correct?  I thought for sure the thing with the blade would be the Flayer (cuz it has a blade).  

Just checking.  

I have 6 Stormfiends, 1 unit with Ratling Cannon/Deathwind Launcher/Spiky Balls (Doomflayers). 

Then I have another 3 I got for cheap but they are 2 Shock Gauntlets/1 Doomflayer balls.  I have the bits left for the grinder fist and warpfire throwers, then I could leave a Shock Gauntlet on 1.  Is that just a terrible armament for them?   I can probably make some more ratling cannons from old dreadnought assault cannons or something.  Deathwind Launchers could be made from Warpfire Throwers some how.

20 hours ago, treeclimber said:

As far as I understand it, the reason you can’t cast an Endless spell through the portal, is that it still has a range restriction on “set up”. Like, it does not matter that the spell has a 18”longer range, if the endless spell still needs to be set up within 13” of the caster once succesfully cast.

I got it now and, unfortunately, it makes sense :(

thanks!!

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Stormfiend questions: the assembly instructions say the Doomflayer is the big spikey ball fists.  Is that correct?  I thought for sure the thing with the blade would be the Flayer (cuz it has a blade).  

Just checking.  

I have 6 Stormfiends, 1 unit with Ratling Cannon/Deathwind Launcher/Spiky Balls (Doomflayers). 

Then I have another 3 I got for cheap but they are 2 Shock Gauntlets/1 Doomflayer balls.  I have the bits left for the grinder fist and warpfire throwers, then I could leave a Shock Gauntlet on 1.  Is that just a terrible armament for them?   I can probably make some more ratling cannons from old dreadnought assault cannons or something.  Deathwind Launchers could be made from Warpfire Throwers some how.

Yep, the spikey ball is the Doomflayer

I've been playing a unit of 6 and so far, out of the possible combinations... 2 Ratling, 2 Windlaunchers and 2 Shock Gauntlets has been the best one (for me).

The Ratling cannons and the missiles can be absolutely devastating with the Engineer buffs

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Just checking.  

The Warpfire thrower can be great against hordes, but I think the more favorable form of wielding stormfiends is to very likley to go the windlauncher root.

combat weapons usually do not matter that great with stormfiends, since both the doom flayers and the shock gauntlets do a pretty good job, if needed

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

Main problme with the wind launcher ist the 8" reach and that it only hits the models within these 8". It can be devestating against hordes with 1 wound per model but you pretty much have to shoot out of melee to make an impact. If you go under ground you miss out on shooting the launchers completely the first turn you come up.

With my six fiends I have magnetized one of the rattling gun/grinder models to be able to use both options.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think I'll have to agree the windlaunchers are the way to go.  I can probably find a spot to hide my tiny Warpfire Weapon Team and sneak them up through cover.  Shock gauntlets look super cool.   time for more magnets!

I’d do that.

warpfire thrower weapons teams will be able to do a ton more damage against hordes than a fiends with the warpflame gauntlets 

20 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’d do that.

warpfire thrower weapons teams will be able to do a ton more damage against hordes than a fiends with the warpflame gauntlets 

Why's that? The stats are the same. A unit of three stormfiends is pretty much like three weapon teams. The melee is a little bit better and costs a few more points but rattling gun, warpfire thrower and grinder are the same.

55 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

Why's that? The stats are the same. A unit of three stormfiends is pretty much like three weapon teams. The melee is a little bit better and costs a few more points but rattling gun, warpfire thrower and grinder are the same.

Warpfire thrower weapon teams can be overcharged.

unlike their stormfiend counterpart  with flamers they are basically almost always able to destroy a full unit of 1wound models.

which at least in that aspect makes them much, much better at killing Hordes.

ps: if you overcharge a warpflame weapon team, you basically role 2dice per model and on a 4+ the unit takes a mortal wound.

the stormfiend can’t do that.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

Ah ha, thanks.

I ordered some 90x120mm oval bases for my doomwheels, but then I looked and GW includes a '90mm' oval base with the kit on their site, but then the FAQ from 2019 says they go on a 105mm x 70mm.  Anyone know which is correct? 

At least I'll have bases for my lightning cannon and a Verminlord Warpseer now....

Ich think I am about to declare my skaven-project finnished.  So please welcome Klan Raklet 🧀

IMG_20210117_104105316.jpg.3dfe1490b4bfb7e96f6cc31147ce9f3f.jpg

I am still considering a third set of stormfiends to be able to run a one drop Skryre list or another one or two doomwheels for flavor but honestly...I bare ever get to play anything lager than a 2000 points game so I won't play more than about a third of my army at the same time already. 

207585072_IMG_20210117_104128487(1).jpg.fb5ba29c57aede247f359c389ee57a26.jpg

My starting point was a 1000 points Pestilenz army I had build for an escalation leguae about three years ago. I could field a 2000 pure Pestilenz list now.

IMG_20210117_104144310.jpg.5d611ce40a8b5788fa87daba62157cb3.jpg

IMG_20210117_104216160.jpg

IMG_20210117_104207112.jpg

IMG_20210117_104229726.jpg

IMG_20210117_104247138.jpg

IMG_20210117_104119655.jpg

IMG_20210117_104128487.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

57 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

Ich think I am about to declare my skaven-project finnished.  So please welcome Klan Raklet 🧀

IMG_20210117_104105316.jpg.3dfe1490b4bfb7e96f6cc31147ce9f3f.jpg

I am still considering a third set of stormfiends to be able to run a one drop Skryre list or another one or two doomwheels for flavor but honestly...I bare ever get to play anything lager than a 2000 points game so I won't play more than about a third of my army at the same time already. 

207585072_IMG_20210117_104128487(1).jpg.fb5ba29c57aede247f359c389ee57a26.jpg

My starting point was a 1000 points Pestilenz army I had build for an escalation leguae about three years ago. I could field a 2000 pure Pestilenz list now.

IMG_20210117_104144310.jpg.5d611ce40a8b5788fa87daba62157cb3.jpg

IMG_20210117_104216160.jpg

IMG_20210117_104207112.jpg

IMG_20210117_104229726.jpg

IMG_20210117_104247138.jpg

IMG_20210117_104119655.jpg

IMG_20210117_104128487.jpg

Amazing 🤩.

6 hours ago, DocKeule said:

Now I really need a chance to play. I haven't had a game in more than a year now 😔

Luckily I have a fee people in my local who are taking it seriously enough that they're willing to wear a mask and distance from each other for a whole 4 ish hour game. I know it's still a little risky but being in the southern US its lightyears safer than being surrounded by the idiots at work (I hope this isnt considered political to say), and yeah playing a game really helps keep the fire for the hobby side going imo.

Guys, thoughts on this list? Anyone ran something similar? 

Allegiance: Skaventide
Clawlord (100)
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait: Powerful
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- Artefact: Skavenbrew 
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Warlock Bombardier (120)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- 2x Standard Bearers
- 2x Standard Bell Ringers
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- 2x Standard Bearers
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- 2x Standard Bearers
6 x Stormfiends (520)
- 2x Windlaunchers
- 2x Ratling Cannons
- 2x Shock Gauntlets
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Vortex (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 193

Thanks

• LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 5:34 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Ah ha, thanks.

I ordered some 90x120mm oval bases for my doomwheels, but then I looked and GW includes a '90mm' oval base with the kit on their site, but then the FAQ from 2019 says they go on a 105mm x 70mm.  Anyone know which is correct? 

At least I'll have bases for my lightning cannon and a Verminlord Warpseer now....

The basing guide is the controlling document.

• Like 1