5kaven5lave

Hi all,

So I'm considering a little dip into a skaven force (likely just 1k points for now or so) as a fun little project and I'm very much unsure on quite how I'd want to go with them clan wise. I absolutely love the look of the hellpit abomination from Moulder as a cool centerpiece, even if it's not that great, and verminlords also look cool but I believe they can be any clan if I go for one of the masterclan ones as a general. I'm also kind of drawn to Skyre if I don't go for moulder because hamster wheels and big guns could be very fun! 

My main worry is with moulder that I might feel a bit restricted option wise if i choose to expand and unfortunatley whilst the giant rats look fine the rat ogors certainly leave something to be desired... though I know these could be converted etc.

Any suggestions for a new potential player? It would be cool to hear how Skyre or Moulder might be able to play in fun ways that don't need to be all that competetive.

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Hi all,

So I'm considering a little dip into a skaven force (likely just 1k points for now or so) as a fun little project and I'm very much unsure on quite how I'd want to go with them clan wise. I absolutely love the look of the hellpit abomination from Moulder as a cool centerpiece, even if it's not that great, and verminlords also look cool but I believe they can be any clan if I go for one of the masterclan ones as a general. I'm also kind of drawn to Skyre if I don't go for moulder because hamster wheels and big guns could be very fun! 

My main worry is with moulder that I might feel a bit restricted option wise if i choose to expand and unfortunatley whilst the giant rats look fine the rat ogors certainly leave something to be desired... though I know these could be converted etc.

Any suggestions for a new potential player? It would be cool to hear how Skyre or Moulder might be able to play in fun ways that don't need to be all that competetive.

Personally I like to mix different clans. Since we got the new book taking the best of each clan for me is the fun an strength of the skaven.

A mono-clan-list is possible though. To go full Moulder is rare and they are probably the weakest clan right  now with a very limited choice of models. Going full Skryre on the other hand can be pretty strong and you have a couple of options. Only problem is that some of the older tin models are getting increasingly hard to find and some are expecting GW to fade them out. If you start with six stormfiends you are at 520 points and have your battleline. Two warlock engineers or bombardiers as heroes and a doomwheel you would be at 880. You could add 20 clanrats or a greyseer. Or get a weapon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Hi all,

I have crazy good fun with my Moulder army, my big advice for people is not running the giant rats in huge units - even with the buffs I just don't think they do enough damage and die very easily.

Having lots of 10 man/rat units I find really fun, and means you can shield your heavy hitters, use them to steal objectives with impressive speed, and charge them into a unit on the opposite side to your heavy hitter unit to stop your opponent piling in effectively.

Rat Ogors pack a punch that feels just about right, but not crazy powerful, whereas Hell Pit Abominations are obscene on the charge, dealing a mortal wound to all enemies within 3" on a 2+.

The downside, as you say, is the models. Someone on instagram is currently sculpting fur all over the current rat ogor models, and its helping a great deal. Someone else I've seen is greenstuffing fur on Stone Troggoths which looks really cool. Mine are all converted from Stormfiends, limits you slightly on poses, but the models are lovely with all their armour and weapons stripped off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ahriman said:

The downside, as you say, is the models. Someone on instagram is currently sculpting fur all over the current rat ogor models, and its helping a great deal. Someone else I've seen is greenstuffing fur on Stone Troggoths which looks really cool. Mine are all converted from Stormfiends, limits you slightly on poses, but the models are lovely with all their armour and weapons stripped off.

Stormfiends have the Moulder keyword any way so you can use them in an all-Moulder list.

• Thanks 1

@DocKeule very much so, great for variety too!

I used to have a unit with all warpfire throwers to give army a source of mortal wounds, but they eventually got replaced in the new book - I like the synergy Rat Ogors have with Master Moulders and being able to resummon them is ace too. 

Should probably look at adding them back just to give me some ranged threats again.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, DocKeule said:

. Only problem is that some of the older tin models are getting increasingly hard to find and some are expecting GW to fade them out. .

This is one of my main concerns with obscure niche armies.  When I made the all gutter runner clans Eshin army it was all metal!  Not sure how old the plastic night runner kit is but even the older plastic kits bode poorly for the future inclusion of some units.   But I think we’re safe with Stormfiends, Lightning Cannons, and hopefully Doomwheels!  Not sure about any of the other weapon teams.  But I could definitely see easy sales with a  plastic kit to build 3 of the Ratling gun/warp fire thrower/jezzails teams.    

Apparently there’s a plastic rat Ogor and Packmasters and giant rat kit in the GW site!  THats pretty awesome. Thought those were all metal.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Apparently there’s a plastic rat Ogor and Packmasters and giant rat kit in the GW site!  THats pretty awesome. Thought those were all metal.  

They are ok, although you really see the age on those modes as well.

It is kinda sad that they removed the rat ogres from the blood island kit. That guy and the weapon teams looked amazing (I even own a few of them.

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

This is one of my main concerns with obscure niche armies.  When I made the all gutter runner clans Eshin army it was all metal!  Not sure how old the plastic night runner kit is but even the older plastic kits bode poorly for the future inclusion of some units.   But I think we’re safe with Stormfiends, Lightning Cannons, and hopefully Doomwheels!  Not sure about any of the other weapon teams.  But I could definitely see easy sales with a  plastic kit to build 3 of the Ratling gun/warp fire thrower/jezzails teams.

I thing the main advantage for the skaven is that they are a GW creation and not a copy from some tolkienesque concept. And they are a fan-favorite.

But yeah most of the models are pretty old and compared to newer factions it shows. I prefer the old style. But on whichever side you fall it looks a little off if you put old and new next to each other. So I think we will se a change in the model range some time in the future. I hope it will be similar to what they did with the goblins where they added some stuff but mostly kept the spirit of the armies.

I can't imagine the rattling gun gone. The wordplay alone is too legendary. The grinder also is too m quintessential skaven. Clanrats would need an update. Plague Monks also look kind of old. 

1 hour ago, DocKeule said:

can't imagine the rattling gun gone. The wordplay alone is too legendary. The grinder also is too m quintessential skaven. Clanrats would need an update. Plague Monks also look kind of old. 

I doubt that any of the current weapon teams will vanish. They are a huge part of the skaven range and are a part what makes these guys so incredible cool.

as for updates, i would love to see basically the stuff you just mentioned and more, with the exception of clanrats, they actually really look amazing. At least the current form 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 3:38 AM, Enkyridion said:

Hey guys,

So, I've been playing on a local league for almost 3 months, basically is about playing all the battleplans on the GHB 2020 book, we are currently on the 6th round... It almost ends... And I registered with my dear Skaventide... We can change the list every round if we want, so I've been trying some variations of a Vermin-Skryre kind of list, trying to find the most competitive build.

Here's the final version of it:

- Thanquol                   390 pts
       Death frenzy
       (4x Warp projectors usually)
- Warlock Engineer.   100 pts
    General.
       Deranged Inventor
       Vigordust Injector
       M.m.m. warp power
- Warlock Engineer.    100 pts
       M.m.m. warp power

- 40 x Clanrats.            200 pts
       Swords
- 20 x Clanrats.            120 pts
       Swords
- 40 x Stormvermin.    400 pts

- 6 x Stormfiends          520 pts
         2x windlauchers
         2x darling una
         2x shock gauntlets

Endless spells.

- Warplighting Vortex.    80 pts
- Umbral Spellportal.      70 pts

Total. 2000 pts

I have to say that I'm very happy with this list, I've won twice, vs lumineth and vs nighthaunt. My strategy is: if I start, I cast the portal and Warplighting Vortex on the enemy's face, take objectives and position my screen of clanrats for s possible double turn. If I go second, I do the same, always deploying the screens properly to avoid an alpha strike that hurts, then I counter fire on my turn with spells and buffed stormfiends.

Notes: I tried to squeeze points to increase the 20 clanrats but that would mean take out the portal or reduce the stormvermin, and I think stormvermin need to be 40 to be a powerhouse.
Another variation is to switch one engineer with a clawlord, to buff the vermin. And turn the general into a Bombardier.

After several games I would say I prefer stormfiends over jezzails, I know they have a different role, but I just love how durable stormfiends are and the psicological pain they are for my oponent...

What you guys think?

You can't cast WLV through the spellportal I'm afraid:/

7 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I read somewhere a good tactic for the WLV is Skitterleap a Verminlord Warpseer next to a far flung gnawhole, use the +1 to cast and any extra casting buffs it has to unload that and Dreaded Warpgale, then gnawhole it back to safety.   Seems pretty amazingly good if the enemy lacks auto unbinding!

If you don’t exactly want to use a verminlord warpseer, you can basically get the same result, with a grey seer with skitterleap.

it also comes cheaper

1 hour ago, DocKeule said:

Hm...last skaven errata was in 2019 and in the GHB errata there is nothing about them. 

Yeah, I’m now wondering whether I imagined seeing a list of point changes for GHB 2020 (it’s been a while since I played because of Covid) but I’ve check Azyr and Warscroll Builder, both show 110pts. 🤔🤔

Edited by Cosmicsheep